Expected Expenses Starting Vet School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do I know what it's like to have debt specifically from vet school? No. Does that mean that I have no transferable advice to give? Also no. I have paid off $30k in debt since undergrad. Paying money back with interest sucks. I'm willing to do as much as possible to not have to do so again.

What this really boils down to is whether you believe spending money is necessary to have fun. I don't; y'all do. If you find it necessary to go into debt to have fun, that is your prerogative. What we can agree on is that fun is important to your mental well-being at every stage of life, and especially in the stressful stages.

Of course you don't have "no transferable advice to give." Everyone has advice.

But the part you're missing is that you're giving advice about a life stage you haven't experienced. It doesn't inherently make you wrong, but it does mean that your advice should be taken with a much bigger grain of salt than the advice coming from someone who HAS lived through that life stage.

I don't recall saying it's "necessary" - you're putting words in my (and DVMD's) mouth. But for many vet students, their only source of incoming in school is loans. Some (many?) students have part-time jobs to help supplement that, but it's minor.

10% of students will have no loans after vet school, which for the majority of that 10% means family - parental - support. Bully for them, but those aren't the people we're talking about.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Renter's insurance is something to think about budgeting into your expenses if you haven't already. It's not a fun expense and hopefully you never need to use it, but at least it's cheap ($20 or less a month).

For the emissions thing - it may not be a statewide requirement so that may be why some of you have not had to have it done even living in a state that requires it.

I would check to see if it's required specifically in the county/metro area of your intended vet school. When I lived in TN, it was required in Nashville (where I went to college) but not in my home town (also in TN, but in a more rural area). Now I live in Atlanta, where it is required - Georgia has 159 counties but emissions testing is only required in 13 of them. It is not required in the county where UGA CVM is located, so when I move there I don't have to get emissions tested anymore. Additionally, (in GA) they don't require that you get any car tested that is <3 years old or older than a certain age, so right now you only have to have cars tested that are 1993-2014 in year and if you live in one of the 13 counties that require emissions testing. I know some people in Atlanta that were surprised to find out it was required - they had floated through with no one saying anything because their car was a newer model or they had lived in a county that didn't require it, but the year it went over 3 years old or when they moved 2 miles into a new county, they were turned away for a tag until they got their test but they had no idea they had been skating through on something.

On that note, checking into taxes/etc requirements is not a bad idea as it may be a bigger cost (sorry if someone else noted this). In GA, you pay ad volarum tax on your car every year on your birthday. That was not something I had to pay in other states and it was a pretty crappy birthday gift, especially since my birthday is in late August and I moved here in July (several years ago) for grad school. I moved to GA pretty much straight from Peace Corps to be a poor grad student and my first year it was a >$500 surprise like a month after I arrived. It's based on the estimated value of your car so it will go down slightly every year, however, I have a 2011 Subaru Outback and it was still almost $400 this year. Emissions testing is only like $15-25 depending on how far you're willing to drive for a bargain, the ad volarum is the real kick in the pants.

Last edited:
@Coopah ... here are some thoughts and suggestions:

COMMON EXPENSES:

1. Mortgage/Lease/Rent Payments
2. Utilities (Electric/Water/Gas)
3. Telephone Service (monthly)
4. Cable Service (Television and Internet/Computer Service)
5. Health/Dental/Vision Insurance Premiums (these services are probably provided by your school and same thing for prescription medications)
6. Student Loan Payments (if you have any student loan payments due at this time)

HOME EXPENSES:

1. Homeowner/Renter/Umbrella Insurance Premiums (e.g., for your home and household possessions)
2. Home Maintenance Expenses and Costs (electrical, plumbing, heating, air conditioning, termite service, etc.)
3. Home Trash Collection - weekly service at your home (if applicable to you)

AUTOMOBILE EXPENSES AND COSTS:

1. Car Insurance Premiums (semi-annually or annually)
2. Car Payments (if you have any ongoing automobile payments)
3. Car Gasoline Costs
4. Car Maintenance Costs (e.g., oil changes, tires, battery, car washes)
5. Smog Certificate Fees
6. Automobile Club Fee (e.g., AAA annual payment for flat tires, dead battery, towing, etc.)
7. Automobile Parking Permit Fees (annual or monthly at your school)

TAXES:

1. Federal Income Taxes
2. State Income Taxes
3. Sales Taxes
4. Property Taxes
5. CPA fees (if a CPA prepares your annual Federal and State income tax returns)

GROCERIES AND OTHER PERSONAL EXPENSES:

1. Groceries (food and beverages/personal hygiene supplies)
2. General School Supplies (e.g., notepads, post-it tabs, pens, paper)
3. Veterinary Medicine School Equipment (scrubs, stethoscope, etc.)
4. Miscellaneous School Costs incurred at your school (if there are any extra school fees or costs)
5. Clothing and Shoes
6. Laundry (e.g., laundry detergent/dry cleaning fees)
7. Recreation and Entertainment (e.g., haircuts, take-out pizzas, vacations)
8. Home Cleaning Fees (if you ever retain a professional housecleaning service)
9. Professional Association Dues or Club Dues (if you incur any of these things)

PET EXPENSES:

Note: if you have pets, it is advisable to establish a professional relationship with a local veterinarian/veterinary hospital.

1. Pet Food (weekly)
2. Pet Supplies (monthly)
3. Pet Health Insurance Premiums (monthly).
4. Pet Sitting/Pet Walking Fees (if you ever need them)
5. Veterinary Service Fees (wellness/care and treatment/surgery/prescription medications/special dietary needs)

* IMPORTANT ADDITIONAL TASKS:

The following documents are highly ADVISABLE (because you never know when you might need them):

1. Prepare an Advance Health Care Directive.
2. Prepare a Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care.
3. Prepare a Durable Power of Attorney for Financial Matters.
4. Prepare a List of Emergency Contacts and Telephone Numbers (include ICE names and telephone numbers).
5. Prepare a Pet Guardianship document (if you have a pet).
Curious...how many of us on here currently have a Durable Power of Attorney/will/etc.? I don't really own anything besides animals, not that it isn't worth getting my wishes for them in writing.
Just curious, why do you recommend not paying off interest in vet school as it accrues? Wouldn't that make the overall payments less after graduation since they that amount won't capitalize? (new to this whole loan process)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
What everyone said. Not sure that this was specifically mentioned, but you can't actually make a dent in your principle until you pay your outstanding interest off at the time anyways. This doesn't apply if you can return excess money during the short grace period after a loan is disbursed. I can't find anything that specifically tells you how long that grace period is, but I was within that window when I returned extra money within a week or two after dispersal. This was something I didn't know about (and many students don't know about). Had I known, I wouldn't have held onto extra loan money until the end of each semester last year (I was worried I'd need it, turned out I didn't at all). It's one way to decrease the accruing interest.

This may not work for everyone, but each semester, I budget to the dollar any consistent expenses (rent, my portion of our internet bill, etc.) and then ballpark my electric/water, groceries, gas, etc. and give myself a small amount of wiggle room. I return the rest within that grace period to avoid getting interest on the full dispersal amount. You could also just change your financial aid package to just borrow less in the first place. Neither methods help when you have unpredictable large expenses or lose sight of your budget, though.

Just wanted to mention, too, that while some schools overestimate the amount that most students will need for living expenses, not ALL of them do. Some are pretty spot-on, and some may actually underestimate depending on your situation. At ISU, we're alloted right around $12000 for the entire year for living expenses... and I know quite a few classmates of mine who are struggling to pay all of their bills on that. Even with budgeting, between my bills I would be completely screwed for this summer if I wasn't working two jobs---my rent alone ($580/month) is pretty much wiping out what is left of my aid package, let alone food.

Spring semester might be really tricky depending on the school as most seem to expect that you will be able to cover your costs through work/family/SO over the summer but, obviously, a lot of vet students will be left trying to surivive off of what is left of their spring package since most schools do not award summer financial aid except for during the clinical year(s). At ISU, that means that some students have to stretch their $6000 or so to last over 8 months. Not easy. Seriously, as much as I advocate minimizing costs and debt as much as possible, I have been very stressed out over finances the past few months (I am currently living off of what non-perishables I still have left from my last trip for groceries back in March) and even having $1000-$1500 more would alleviate a lot of that worry and uncertainty fo me.

It may be prudent for incoming students to also discuss the subject with current students st the school they are planning to attend and see how they do on the amount of money allotted before deciding whether or not to take out the full amount.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
If you have the opportunity to have pizza, always have pizza. One of my major life philosophies.

Best part about lunch lectures. I loooooove pizza.

I think the grace period is something like 120 days (at least at MSU it is). So you've got almost a whole semester to judge your spending and return if you need to

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to mention, too, that while some schools overestimate the amount that most students will need for living expenses, not ALL of them do. Some are pretty spot-on, and some may actually underestimate depending on your situation. At ISU, we're alloted right around $12000 for the entire year for living expenses... and I know quite a few classmates of mine who are struggling to pay all of their bills on that. Even with budgeting, between my bills I would be completely screwed for this summer if I wasn't working two jobs---my rent alone ($580/month) is pretty much wiping out what is left of my aid package, let alone food.

Spring semester might be really tricky depending on the school as most seem to expect that you will be able to cover your costs through work/family/SO over the summer but, obviously, a lot of vet students will be left trying to surivive off of what is left of their spring package since most schools do not award summer financial aid except for during the clinical year(s). At ISU, that means that some students have to stretch their $6000 or so to last over 8 months. Not easy. Seriously, as much as I advocate minimizing costs and debt as much as possible, I have been very stressed out over finances the past few months (I am currently living off of what non-perishables I still have left from my last trip for groceries back in March) and even having $1000-$1500 more would alleviate a lot of that worry and uncertainty fo me.

It may be prudent for incoming students to also discuss the subject with current students st the school they are planning to attend and see how they do on the amount of money allotted before deciding whether or not to take out the full amount.

I fought with that financial aid department so much. I had to prove to them that their allotted living expenses were not enough, which was simple, but damn it took some fight to get just about extra $1200 to simply not have to eat bread only for a few months. I think their estimate is great for the typical undergrad who lives in a dorm and heads some for summer but they don't increase that amount for graduate or veterinary students which is beyond absurd.

@amgoose319 @cheathac In addition to what others have said re:interest, the math comes in because most loans have a 6 month grace period after graduation before the interest compounds and they go into repayment (so as others said, the interest that has accrued during school is not included in your principle balance and therefore is not gaining interest on itself until it compounds after you graduate).

For example (very simplified): If you take out $10, you will be accruing interest only on that $10 during school and for 6 months after - your principle balance will not go up because the interest is not yet compounding. Let's say you accrue $4 of interest and you don't pay anything on it in the 6 months after graduation. After that 6 months, your loans go into repayment and your "principle balance" becomes $14 ($10 + $4 interest) and you start accruing interest on $14 and your payment calculation is based on $14.

If you paid that $4 off during your 6 month grace period, then your principle would only be $10 when you go into repayment 6 months after graduation. Since you are accruing interest only on the original balance you took out while you are in school and for 6 months after, you will accrue the same amount of interest regardless of when you pay the interest off as long as it is paid off before it compounds 6 months after you graduate. However, if you pay on interest during school and that causes you to need to take out more loans, then your principle will be higher and you will be accruing more interest than necessary - so there is unlikely to be a good reason to pay on the interest during school. The best thing to do (in my experience) is to try to take out fewer loans if you have extra money during school (but I'm in the "still put aside a little money for fun" camp) and then try to pay the interest off during your 6 month grace period before it compounds.

I have only ever had Stafford loans, so check with your lender to make sure the grace period/compounding schedule is the same, but that's (a VERY boiled down version of) the math behind it.

Reactions: 3 users
Don't remember if this was mentioned, but have a savings for emergencies. A couple of girls in my class had medical emergencies with their pets and one resorted to Go Fund Me to help. I took out a bit extra in loans in case I had a medical emergency or my 20 year old Chevy decided vet school was too much for him. That's interest I'm willing to deal with it I need to in the long run for the peace of mind.

Reactions: 5 users
Don't remember if this was mentioned, but have a savings for emergencies. A couple of girls in my class had medical emergencies with their pets and one resorted to Go Fund Me to help. I took out a bit extra in loans in case I had a medical emergency or my 20 year old Chevy decided vet school was too much for him. That's interest I'm willing to deal with it I need to in the long run for the peace of mind.

Absolutely! As a general rule of thumb, three months of expenses is a good starter emergency fund. I'm not saying take that out in loans, but for people like me who are working before hand and trying to decide what to put toward tuition, that's a good number. Also if you have people you can use as an emergency fund that works too. During college my parents acted as my emergency fund because if anything were to happen (for example my car died) they took care of it. For people completely on their own, living on loans, I believe most schools have an emergency fund you can apply for if something happens, but if you want that peace of mind it might be worth it to take out a little extra.

Best part about lunch lectures. I loooooove pizza.
Some club officers would talk about how "maybe this time we'll have meetings with food other than just pizza" or members would say "really, we're having pizza again?"

These people are insane, I'm pretty sure.

Some club officers would talk about how "maybe this time we'll have meetings with food other than just pizza" or members would say "really, we're having pizza again?"

..........what other food is there besides pizza to have?! Pizza is only true option

Of course you don't have "no transferable advice to give." Everyone has advice.

But the part you're missing is that you're giving advice about a life stage you haven't experienced. It doesn't inherently make you wrong, but it does mean that your advice should be taken with a much bigger grain of salt than the advice coming from someone who HAS lived through that life stage.

I do agree that advice from someone who's been there and done that is usually the best, and I always read your posts with interest because of that (and others on here like you who are done with school). I'll agree to disagree and quit:beat:

Absolutely! As a general rule of thumb, three months of expenses is a good starter emergency fund. I'm not saying take that out in loans, but for people like me who are working before hand and trying to decide what to put toward tuition, that's a good number. Also if you have people you can use as an emergency fund that works too. During college my parents acted as my emergency fund because if anything were to happen (for example my car died) they took care of it. For people completely on their own, living on loans, I believe most schools have an emergency fund you can apply for if something happens, but if you want that peace of mind it might be worth it to take out a little extra.

This is timely, as I'm getting an unexpected $600 in new tires today... Having money set aside for unexpected expenses is a real stress reliever.

Same here. My younger cat had some crazy infection that took five day hospitalization, fluids, baytril etc and cost me mucho dinero even with vet student discount. Which sadly, is no longer a thing due to state budget cuts. I have been saving in case anything happens in these last couple years for me here. :rage:

depends on the pizza. Some pizza is just a greasy mess.

Curious...how many of us on here currently have a Durable Power of Attorney/will/etc.? I don't really own anything besides animals, not that it isn't worth getting my wishes for them in writing.
I have encountered these issues at my AMC - given that accidents are the leading cause of death in young adults.

In most states, when you reach 18-years of age, you are no longer a minor. Instead, you are an "adult" and entitled to full legal protection as an "adult" (even if you're still covered by your parents' insurance policies, or listed as a dependent on their tax returns, etc.).

In case of a health emergency, a medical power of attorney will allow your parents (or another designated adult - such as an adult sibling or an adult friend) to converse with medical professionals, help out with your care, etc., if you're unconscious due to an accident or otherwise incapacitated (e.g., undergoing emergency surgery, LOC secondary to whatever, poisoning, shock). In other words, without a medical power of attorney, HIPAA rules apply.

The financial power of attorney serves a similar purpose if you're incapacitated and someone needs to pay your bills, etc.

An advance health care directive is equally important and self-explanatory. Among other things, an advance health care directive outlines a person’s wishes about life-extending medical treatment.

You can download these forms (for free) from various websites. Or, your school may already have these forms - so feel free to ask.

FWIW ... kindly take the time to think ahead ... emergencies often happen when they're LEAST expected. If you wait until an emergency occurs, or wait until you're seriously injured or incapacitated, you will be too late. Just saying. Life happens.

Last edited:

..........what other food is there besides pizza to have?! Pizza is only true option

People would bring in Jimmy John's or Panda or Fizzoli's. Like, those are good. Pizza is just better. I love when frozen pizzas go on sale.

Every club I signed up for would say, "we promise, no pizza" like WTF is wrong with you? I went to some of the food animal things just to get some free pizza.

Reactions: 2 users
People would bring in Jimmy John's or Panda or Fizzoli's. Like, those are good. Pizza is just better. I love when frozen pizzas go on sale.

I'd walk out if they had Jimmy John's that place is disgusting. Maybe they need to be less "freaky fast" and focus a bit more on providing good food.

Pizza's good and all, but it does get old.

We've had a taco bar, Mediterranean, lasagna, Chick-fil-A, panda, noodles and company, an assortment of sandwich places (grand traverse pie company being the best among them), and ice cream in recent memory. They're all good to break up the monotony of pizza.

I'd walk out if they had Jimmy John's that place is disgusting. Maybe they need to be less "freaky fast" and focus a bit more on providing good food.

I don't frequent Jimmy John's (or Subway for that matter) cause I'm not paying $6 for something I can make for $1 at home.

If clubs won't get me pizza, they better get me something I can't make on the cheap at home.

Pizza's good and all, but it does get old.

We've had a taco bar, Mediterranean, lasagna, Chick-fil-A, panda, noodles and company, an assortment of sandwich places (grand traverse pie company being the best among them), and ice cream in recent memory. They're all good to break up the monotony of pizza.

See, those are all good, minus the sandwiches. I'm not a big sandwich fan and when I do make a sandwich, it has to be just right. Most places just can't get it right. So when I get into a lunch meeting for food and see sandwiches, I get disappointed because I could have made that at home and made it a million times better.

See, those are all good, minus the sandwiches. I'm not a big sandwich fan and when I do make a sandwich, it has to be just right. Most places just can't get it right. So when I get into a lunch meeting for food and see sandwiches, I get disappointed because I could have made that at home and made it a million times better.
The grand traverse place (I think it's only in MI) makes a bomb pesto chicken sandwich. Throw in a slice of pie, and it's one of the best box lunches I've had

We've had lots of different stuff. The dinner meetings are the best because then you get real catering. Chick-fil-A happens a lot with lunches, which is awesome, except that you get waffle chips instead of fries :(

Thank you everyone, super helpful. I am only planning on taking out loans for the actual program tuition and fees cost, not living, gas, etc. as my SO will be working full time. I have money in savings that I'm not touching for emergencies. Do you guys think this sounds reasonable, or should I take out extra in loans?

Thank you everyone, super helpful. I am only planning on taking out loans for the actual program tuition and fees cost, not living, gas, etc. as my SO will be working full time. I have money in savings that I'm not touching for emergencies. Do you guys think this sounds reasonable, or should I take out extra in loans?

As long as your SO's income can cover living expenses I think that sounds fine

We've had lots of different stuff. The dinner meetings are the best because then you get real catering. Chick-fil-A happens a lot with lunches, which is awesome, except that you get waffle chips instead of fries :(
My like is actually a dislike. Those chips are garbage next to waffle fries

What would you consider a reasonable number of hours to work during vet school? I'm hoping to work part-time once I've (hopefully!) gotten a little used to the workload.

depends on the pizza. Some pizza is just a greasy mess.
This. If it's Little Caesar's, or if the pizza's not hot, count me out. But I'm aware I'm pickier about pizza than most people. We got inundated with free pizza the first couple of weeks of school, so a lot of club emails will promise non-pizza food. :laugh:

I'm also disappointed to see sandwiches because I don't like lunch meat or soggy bread, so I won't eat most sandwiches.

What would you consider a reasonable number of hours to work during vet school? I'm hoping to work part-time once I've (hopefully!) gotten a little used to the workload.
I'd say 15 hours a week or less, preferably something on campus so they'll work with your schedule!

To me it sounds reasonable. I haven't accepted any amount yet. I'm planning on taking out for tuition and half of rent/food.gas and maybe an extra couple thousand for breathing room? My situation is a little different but my dad is helping me some with rent. I think you'll be good with a SO sharing expenses.

I agree with no more than 15. I was doing between 12 and 15 for a while and it ended poorly. I'm limiting myself to ten hours a week next year.

I think the grace period is something like 120 days (at least at MSU it is). So you've got almost a whole semester to judge your spending and return if you need to
You have 120 days to return extra loan money and have any accrued interest on that amount forgiven? I didn't think it varied school to school.

Thank you for that info! I was just looking at my financial aid award from ISU and they told us to account approx. a bit over 9,000 for housing and meals. I thought that was kinda ridiculous for a whole year. At first I thought it was me being used to the CA cost of living but glad to know that I should expect to spend a bit more than that.

This might be an odd question but what do people get for scrubs and overalls if they are super thin? I'm a 00/0 5'7" and 115. I'm worried in particular that whatever coveralls I get will be absolutely huge on me. It seems like the smallest are men's smalls but I could be wrong.

EDIT: this might fit better in a different thread and I could move it if need be

Last edited:
Also, sounds like I might not have a lot to eat at meetings since I have celiac disease and need GF food. Not like that is at all new lol :p But I guess +1 for the non-pizza club haha

Also, sounds like I might not have a lot to eat at meetings since I have celiac disease and need GF food. Not like that is at all new lol :p But I guess +1 for the non-pizza club haha
I can't help with the scrubs question, but there are several gluten-free people in my class and clubs seem to be good about accommodating them! At least here there's always a spot on meeting sign-ups to indicate if you have a dietary restriction. I think most pizza places at least have salads if they don't have gluten-free pizza.

This might be an odd question but what do people get for scrubs and overalls if they are super thin? I'm a 00/0 5'7" and 115. I'm worried in particular that whatever coveralls I get will be absolutely huge on me. It seems like the smallest are men's smalls but I could be wrong.

EDIT: this might fit better in a different thread and I could move it if need be

Some scrubs do come in women's XXS. Something with a drawstring waist would probably be best if they're still too big, and it would be a very cheap tailoring job if you prefer that. Generally, the more expensive ones come in a wider range of sizes, but XS is common for just about all brands.

I don't know much about coveralls, but I just googled and found some sites that sell them in women's small or extra-small. They're more expensive than unisex, but they are available.

I'm 125ish pounds and the xs fit me well for scrubs. I don't know if you've tried that size, but it might be worth a shot. If xs are too big, I would think xxs would be fine.

As far as coveralls, I would suggest getting a size bigger than you think you'll need so you can layer coats underneath during cold seasons.

@ziggyandjazzy I have found that different brands fit VASTLY different for me and even the XS and XXS can be really large in certain brands/styles (lookin' at you Cherokee). I'm also around 5'7" and have found that the XS/XXS in some of the more affordable brands are also significantly shorter.

I ended up getting some cheap scrubs that just don't really fit that awesome in the name of fiscal responsibility. However, I did spring for a couple of sets of FIGS. They fit well and have a tall version of most of their pants. However, I'm 5'7" and the regular length works for me even in the smaller sizes (very borderline on length, but "tall" would probably be too long for me). I kept an eye on sales and ended up getting them when they were buy 2, get 1 free and with a 20% off coupon. If you're interested, I'd sign up for their mailing list, they actually have good sales and deals they send out.

Their scrubs fit true to size and they carry XXS - I usually wear a street size 0, on occasion a 00 in companies that do vanity sizing more than others. I got an XS in all three of the basic scrub pants styles - I ended up sending back the cargo (Kade) because they were too baggy - I think even the XXS would have been too big, I kept the Livingston but probably could have done an XXS in them, and LOVE the Yola style ("skinny scrubs") and the XS fit fine in those (I think you would need an XXS). Again, I'm 5'7" and the Yola is borderline short on me, but from the looks of the photos online it looks like that's the intention and I don't mind it. If you do try out FIGS, the Yola are also really nice because they have pockets (the Livingston does not). I only got 2 scrub tops from them but got them in XXS and they fit well - I found that scrub tops from other brands tended to fit a little better than bottoms, so I decided to primarily get pants from FIGS since my main issue was length and then get cheaper scrub tops in Navy or Ceil from somewhere else as needed.

@ziggyandjazzy I have found that different brands fit VASTLY different for me and even the XS and XXS can be really large in certain brands/styles (lookin' at you Cherokee). I'm also around 5'7" and have found that the XS/XXS in some of the more affordable brands are also significantly shorter.

I ended up getting some cheap scrubs that just don't really fit that awesome in the name of fiscal responsibility. However, I did spring for a couple of sets of FIGS. They fit well and have a tall version of most of their pants. However, I'm 5'7" and the regular length works for me even in the smaller sizes (very borderline on length, but "tall" would probably be too long for me). I kept an eye on sales and ended up getting them when they were buy 2, get 1 free and with a 20% off coupon. If you're interested, I'd sign up for their mailing list, they actually have good sales and deals they send out.

Their scrubs fit true to size and they carry XXS - I usually wear a street size 0, on occasion a 00 in companies that do vanity sizing more than others. I got an XS in all three of the basic scrub pants styles - I ended up sending back the cargo (Kade) because they were too baggy - I think even the XXS would have been too big, I kept the Livingston but probably could have done an XXS in them, and LOVE the Yola style ("skinny scrubs") and the XS fit fine in those (I think you would need an XXS). Again, I'm 5'7" and the Yola is borderline short on me, but from the looks of the photos online it looks like that's the intention and I don't mind it. If you do try out FIGS, the Yola are also really nice because they have pockets (the Livingston does not). I only got 2 scrub tops from them but got them in XXS and they fit well - I found that scrub tops from other brands tended to fit a little better than bottoms, so I decided to primarily get pants from FIGS since my main issue was length and then get cheaper scrub tops in Navy or Ceil from somewhere else as needed.
We sound pretty much the same size! That is unusual but very helpful. Thanks so much for the advice and I will make sure to check out FIGS. And yes, pants are the main issue. Baggy tops are alright but I can't have my pants falling down or 3 inches too short. Thanks!!