Expected Expenses Starting Vet School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Specific for Ohio State peeps -

You can get away without a stethoscope for the 1st two years. I got one partway through 1st year and maybe used it 3 times before 3rd year. You can borrow one from a classmate if you need it.

As far as textbooks, the only physical books I used were the canine and equine dissection guides. I had an version of the anatomy text (which was nice because it was search-able) and an e-version of Thrall (radiology). I bought the histo book because people told me I needed it but I think i looked at it once.

For anatomy you can wear any color/pattern scrubs you feel like as well as a lab coat of any color. Get some at good will or a cheap scrub shop. Trust me, you'll be throwing them away at the end of the year. Old sneakers or shoes you don't mind smelling a little gross are fine for canine anatomy. Leak-proof rubber boots for equine anatomy. Any old safety glasses will work. You don't need the kind that suction on your face like a scuba mask. I just used the dissection kit I had from undergrad but they sell them in the bookstore too. You need to bring your own gloves too - I got a huge box at sam's club that lasted me the whole year. If you want to bring in your ipad to lab to view your anatomy notes or an e-book, buy ziplock gallon freezer bags to keep it clean! They sell waterproof sleeves for ipads but the ziplock bags work just as well.

As people from other schools have mentioned - club dues and merchandise are something you want to plan for. Dues are $5-30 for the year depending on the club. I joined a ton of clubs 1st year to figure out which ones I wanted to commit to for the rest of school. You can sink a lot of money in merchandise too. Every club will have their own clothes and items so there are lots to choose from. There should be a sale at the end of orientation when parents are there so you can always try to get some from mom and dad that day ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Not an additional expense but for those that like budgeting, remember that major pet food brands have student food programs. Hill's, Purina, Royal Canin, Oxbow (if you have a rep), Lafeber (if you have a rep), and Nutramax (supplements) are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. I've saved hundreds and hundreds already just with Oxbow and Hill's.

Reactions: 1 user
This thread makes me so happy. I've never been super excited to go shopping before, but shopping for scalpel handles and stethoscopes are making me very giddy.

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread makes me so happy. I've never been super excited to go shopping before, but shopping for scalpel handles and stethoscopes are making me very giddy.
Most surgical blades sold on Amazon come with a free handle!

On this note, if you're moving from somewhere warm to somewhere not so warm like Ohio, look into getting good all weather tires or plan on getting some winter tires in late fall. Get a ice scraper/brush BEFORE its supposed to snow. Also budget for warm weather clothes - heavy jacket, good hat, gloves, boots, scarves etc. At least in my class, the people from California and Florida were already freezing in jackets when the rest of us were still in a light shirt and jeans :p

Now is a good time to get end of season stuff on sale and in a few weeks, some will end up in Goodwill as people do spring cleaning and donate. Online retailers often price winter stuff cheap in the summer. I got a great pair of snow boots really cheap in July, but this winter's been so mild I've hardly used them. I'm making the reverse kind of move so they were kind of a waste. Oh well!

Also, for anyone moving someplace cold, fleece-lined tights or leggings are the bessssst. I wear them under jeans all winter (cotton is a crappy insulator) and they look nice with skirts and dresses (you can layer multiple pairs if it's really cold).

On this note, if you're moving from somewhere warm to somewhere not so warm like Ohio, look into getting good all weather tires or plan on getting some winter tires in late fall. Get a ice scraper/brush BEFORE its supposed to snow. Also budget for warm weather clothes - heavy jacket, good hat, gloves, boots, scarves etc. At least in my class, the people from California and Florida were already freezing in jackets when the rest of us were still in a light shirt and jeans :p
I may not speak for all of us warm weather folks, but I am a creature of heat and therefore a weenie when it comes to the cold. (Florida resident moving up north here).

Specific for Ohio State peeps -

You can get away without a stethoscope for the 1st two years. I got one partway through 1st year and maybe used it 3 times before 3rd year. You can borrow one from a classmate if you need it.

As far as textbooks, the only physical books I used were the canine and equine dissection guides. I had an version of the anatomy text (which was nice because it was search-able) and an e-version of Thrall (radiology). I bought the histo book because people told me I needed it but I think i looked at it once.

For anatomy you can wear any color/pattern scrubs you feel like as well as a lab coat of any color. Get some at good will or a cheap scrub shop. Trust me, you'll be throwing them away at the end of the year. Old sneakers or shoes you don't mind smelling a little gross are fine for canine anatomy. Leak-proof rubber boots for equine anatomy. Any old safety glasses will work. You don't need the kind that suction on your face like a scuba mask. I just used the dissection kit I had from undergrad but they sell them in the bookstore too. You need to bring your own gloves too - I got a huge box at sam's club that lasted me the whole year. If you want to bring in your ipad to lab to view your anatomy notes or an e-book, buy ziplock gallon freezer bags to keep it clean! They sell waterproof sleeves for ipads but the ziplock bags work just as well.

As people from other schools have mentioned - club dues and merchandise are something you want to plan for. Dues are $5-30 for the year depending on the club. I joined a ton of clubs 1st year to figure out which ones I wanted to commit to for the rest of school. You can sink a lot of money in merchandise too. Every club will have their own clothes and items so there are lots to choose from. There should be a sale at the end of orientation when parents are there so you can always try to get some from mom and dad that day ;)

Awesome. Thanks @Filly Bay !!! You and @Karabiner13 have been SUPER helpful!!!

Now is a good time to get end of season stuff on sale and in a few weeks, some will end up in Goodwill as people do spring cleaning and donate. Online retailers often price winter stuff cheap in the summer. I got a great pair of snow boots really cheap in July, but this winter's been so mild I've hardly used them. I'm making the reverse kind of move so they were kind of a waste. Oh well!

Also, for anyone moving someplace cold, fleece-lined tights or leggings are the bessssst. I wear them under jeans all winter (cotton is a crappy insulator) and they look nice with skirts and dresses (you can layer multiple pairs if it's really cold).
"Mild winter"?!? I am scared to ask what a bad winter is like...

"Mild winter"?!? I am scared to ask what a bad winter is like...

Haha looks like you'll be finding out soon enough! Ithaca can be pretty brutal.

Most days I haven't layered or dressed particularly warm, but I do like feeling toasty.

You Floridian and Californians make me laugh. Winter is but a small price to pay for the beautiful autumns IMO:)

But yeah...snow tires are amazing.

I feel like no one mentions the pretty horrible summers we have. As if 100+ degree weather isn't bad enough, throw in man eating swarms of mosquitoes, and you can't go swimming in any lake unless you want to take a chance at being gator bait. Bleh. I hope I like the winters more haha.

Reactions: 2 users
I feel like no one mentions the pretty horrible summers we have. As if 100+ degree weather isn't bad enough, throw in man eating swarms of mosquitoes, and you can't go swimming in any lake unless you want to take a chance at being gator bait. Bleh. I hope I like the winters more haha.

Annnnnnnnnnnnd yet, I'm appreciating my Florida winter right about now, considering my future home is several feet deep in snow! Gonna need some snow driving lessons before next winter I think

Annnnnnnnnnnnd yet, I'm appreciating my Florida winter right about now, considering my future home is several feet deep in snow! Gonna need some snow driving lessons before next winter I think
Oh yes! Absolutely, gotta enjoy this now before we're reminiscing of what Florida winters were like. And I am right in your boat with the snow lessons.

Members don't see this ad :)
Florida and winter do not belong in the same sentence haha

Former Floridian checking in, still can't drive in snow and it's been almost two years.

Just wait until you get to California and all of a sudden taxes are a real part of your life, and housing costs ~double what it would elsewhere.

(But despite that, it's still amazing, it will be worth it)

Dear god taxes. I don't even want to know how badly that will affect my budget.

It was 1 degree (yes, ONE) when I got up this morning lol

It was -10 the other day lol.

It was 1 degree (yes, ONE) when I got up this morning lol

It's in the high 80s right now in AZ... loooool. Started out today in the mid 50s-early 60s I think. I think I might actually implode in 1 degree weather

It's in the high 80s right now in AZ... loooool. Started out today in the mid 50s-early 60s I think. I think I might actually implode in 1 degree weather

I keep saying I should have applied to UF or Davis or something...nope just moving to Ohio lol
I don't know what I would do if I lived in a place without four seasons though...so weird.

It was -10 the other day lol.

Not to mention all the snow you just had dumped on you. Not sure how much you got but my mom's had at least 12"
Don't miss it being slightly colder but I do miss having some snow that sticks around rather than being in a snowy mud season

I keep saying I should have applied to UF or Davis or something...nope just moving to Ohio lol
I don't know what I would do if I lived in a place without four seasons though...so weird.

Yeah that's one of the worst things about here in my opinion... no fall leaves :cryi: just dirt, rocks, and sad little desert plants that don't change color lol

Not to mention all the snow you just had dumped on you. Not sure how much you got but my mom's had at least 12"
Don't miss it being slightly colder but I do miss having some snow that sticks around rather than being in a snowy mud season

20+ inches, my husband has been out since 4am clearing snow at his work site and has fallen flat on his face at least once. They have video, I'm currently plotting a way to retrieve it.

Reactions: 7 users
There is nothing more wonderful than the crisp winter air filling your lungs with a fresh snow fall at your feet and a crunch beneath your boots. Waiting inside is a warm hot chocolate and a cozy fireplace to dry your socks. I love winter, it can be a pain, but ultimately I love it. I will severely miss it.

Reactions: 2 users
Can I visit for a day and then leave before it starts to get actually cold?

You can't visit for just ONE day! But yes, you can come visit too

There is nothing more wonderful than the crisp winter air filling your lungs with a fresh snow fall at your feet and a crunch beneath your boots. Waiting inside is a warm hot chocolate and a cozy fireplace to dry your socks. I love winter, it can be a pain, but ultimately I love it. I will severely miss it.

Ever have sugar on snow?

Ahh but that crisp winter air filling my lungs turns into Cdo in the hospital with breathing tubes and treatments for asthma, bronchitis, and pneumonia. My lungs violently protest the cold. You gotta be excited about that!

Re: Bad winters.... this winter has definitely been a mild one.... and I just dug my car out from 10 inches of snow today. Anyone that's accepted to Wisconsin.... beware!

This is an awesome thread though and everyone has great advice!

Re: Bad winters.... this winter has definitely been a mild one.... and I just dug my car out from 10 inches of snow today. Anyone that's accepted to Wisconsin.... beware!

This is an awesome thread though and everyone has great advice!

Is it bad that the AZ girl is laughing at 10 inches of snow? People used to tell me "just wait" for the Midwest winters, since they didn't think AZ got much snow. I lived in northern AZ for 4 years... I'd dig my car out of 3-5 feet of snow while living there. The worst part for me moving to the Midwest wasn't the snow, that was pathetic...it was the cold. -16 is just awful.

Boiling maple syrup poured over snow (or shaved ice). Apparently you eat it with pickles and plain donuts (according to my roommate) but I never have
Lol...I have my qualms about eating anything that falls through all that pollution. I have heard good things about snow ice cream though

Is it bad that the AZ girl is laughing at 10 inches of snow? People used to tell me "just wait" for the Midwest winters, since they didn't think AZ got much snow. I lived in northern AZ for 4 years... I'd dig my car out of 3-5 feet of snow while living there. The worst part for me moving to the Midwest wasn't the snow, that was pathetic...it was the cold. -16 is just awful.
That's super interesting! Where in the midwest did you end up going? 10 inches isn't a lot for us, but the whole "mild winter" plus mid-march 10+ inches in a single day was.... something. It was something.

I gotta agree though, the cold is soooo much worse!

I LOVE my Welch Allyn Tycos. But I didn't buy it until after I graduated - sometimes things get misplaced during 4th year. I'd rather it not be my $350 stethy. So, just a thought.

this is what I did w/ my Harvey Elite. I love it so much. But I was *really* hard on my steths in school.

As an aside, if anyone want Awesome snow tires that really haven't been used much I'm selling mine, Honda CR-V & civic size tires. If interested PM me and I can actually look up dimensions and mileage and stuff.

I'm hoping they'll send all that out in our information packets in June. I was just wondering about stethoscopes this morning.
OK you do have hospital time, but there are community use stethoscopes for that. @twelvetigers and I have repeated that do not spend money on a good scope for school as it will not help you learn the basics. Waiting until buying a nicer one if needed for actual graduation is the way to go imo.

OK you do have hospital time, but there are community use stethoscopes for that. @twelvetigers and I have repeated that do not spend money on a good scope for school as it will not help you learn the basics. Waiting until buying a nicer one if needed for actual graduation is the way to go imo.
Good to know. Thanks!

For stethoscopes check out Redding medical. I got a Littman Classic III for $93 with engraving last year. Best deal I found, even over Amazon

For cold weather, do people seem to prefer carhart or another brand of overalls? I want to buy off season stuff now, but I'm also concerned because I'm starting to lose weight (had multiple surgeries the past 3.5 years that kept me off my feet 1.5 years total, so now I am walk the weight is slowly coming off)

For cold weather, do people seem to prefer carhart or another brand of overalls? I want to buy off season stuff now, but I'm also concerned because I'm starting to lose weight (had multiple surgeries the past 3.5 years that kept me off my feet 1.5 years total, so now I am walk the weight is slowly coming off)
Most people that I know use Carhartt.

Hi everyone! Since I've never lived by myself, I'm having a hard time estimating certain parts of my budget. For a 1 bedroom without a washer and dryer, what would you estimate as the water payment? If I'm in hot humid FL weather and use AC all day (my shaggy pup will be at home while I'm gone), what would you estimate the electricity to be?

For vet school students, would budgeting $500 a year for school supplies so $2000 in total for 4 years be accurate or way off? Students mentioned we barely need any textbooks.

How much do you budget a month for just having fun?

And does $200 a year for club fees if I wanted to join 3-4 clubs sound okay?

Hi everyone! Since I've never lived by myself, I'm having a hard time estimating certain parts of my budget. For a 1 bedroom without a washer and dryer, what would you estimate as the water payment? If I'm in hot humid FL weather and use AC all day (my shaggy pup will be at home while I'm gone), what would you estimate the electricity to be?

For vet school students, would budgeting $500 a year for school supplies so $2000 in total for 4 years be accurate or way off? Students mentioned we barely need any textbooks.

How much do you budget a month for just having fun?

And does $200 a year for club fees if I wanted to join 3-4 clubs sound okay?

Ask your building manager for an estimate on the water bill. They can vary so much depending on where you are. Same for electric. I can tell you having lived in Phoenix for a year that turning your AC down when you aren't home during the day will save you big $$$, so shave the dog and turn down that thermostat.

A budget for fun? When you're scraping by and trying to save money, don't spend money on fun. MAYBE a Netflix account to watch some shows. But movies, going out to eat, having a drink at the bar? Don't do it. My wife and I spent money on fun for the first few years of marriage, and it was stupid. We should have been saving that money. There are lots of free (or nearly so) fun things to do, so do those. Take a hike, play a sport, read a book, play board games. Spend money on fun once you graduate.

Ask your building manager for an estimate on the water bill. They can vary so much depending on where you are. Same for electric. I can tell you having lived in Phoenix for a year that turning your AC down when you aren't home during the day will save you big $$$, so shave the dog and turn down that thermostat.

A budget for fun? When you're scraping by and trying to save money, don't spend money on fun. MAYBE a Netflix account to watch some shows. But movies, going out to eat, having a drink at the bar? Don't do it. My wife and I spent money on fun for the first few years of marriage, and it was stupid. We should have been saving that money. There are lots of free (or nearly so) fun things to do, so do those. Take a hike, play a sport, read a book, play board games. Spend money on fun once you graduate.

I didn't even think to call my building manager for those estimates. Thanks for the reply!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app