Expected Expenses Starting Vet School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coopah

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm trying to budget for starting school. I've already got moving expenses, rent deposits, club dues, and rabies vaccine. Are there any other expenses I should be worried about? Textbooks are usually not used or are available in libraries or digital format.

Thanks for all the help.

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm trying to budget for starting school. I've already got moving expenses, rent deposits, club dues, and rabies vaccine. Are there any other expenses I should be worried about? Textbooks are usually not used or are available in libraries or digital format.

Thanks for all the help.
Buying grocery staples/your first load of groceries (it cost me a lot to stock my pantry with my idea of necessities), stethoscope if you're required to have one as a first year, +/- scrubs, parking permit/gas if that applies, gloves for anatomy lab (not a huge expense but still), etc.

Your school will probably send you a better list of supplies required of first years, or you could ask upperclassmen at UC Davis.

Reactions: 2 users
Buying grocery staples/your first load of groceries (it cost me a lot to stock my pantry with my idea of necessities), stethoscope if you're required to have one as a first year, +/- scrubs, parking permit/gas if that applies, gloves for anatomy lab (not a huge expense but still), etc.

Your school will probably send you a better list of supplies required of first years, or you could ask upperclassmen at UC Davis.

Thanks, all great suggestions!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just keep telling myself.. 6... more weeks of undergrad!!!!! I'm so ready to be done. Also, great job on the thread @Coopah. I haven't figured out how much I need to take out for loans yet

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I have so much to do, so naturally I'm basically doing none of it lol

Yeaaah...I'm slouched on the couch watching Friends....I'll get around to it eventually

Thanks for all the help.

In addition to rent deposits, some oil/electric companies require deposits or activation fees to start service.

Reactions: 5 users
In addition to what has been mentioned don't forget about deposits for utilities, internet, etc. Rabies shots and club dues were the two biggest expenses I can remember. Club dues weren't that expensive...$10-20 but everything was interesting and I joined way too many clubs first year. I think SAVMA dues were more expensive along the lines of $30-40 and were mandatory.

Also don't forget about budget for vet school swag. The clubs at my school knew the firsties wanted to emblazon themselves and their relatives with 'XXX VET MED' items and often sold them the first month or so of school. Then another round came a month or two before Christmas. Those $20 shirts add up quick.

If possible I recommend people that move consider a well visit to the vet for your pets before school starts, particularly if you are going to be using a local GP. It might be easier to get an appointment in the event of a minor emergency or health issue if you're an existing client. Caveat: I did a wellness visit for my dog at the VTH the summer before starting school because the seniors told me HW prevention was free to students. At my appointment, technically I wasn't a student yet, just accepted, so I had to pay for the meds. He needed them so it was whatever. But don't necessarily expect a student discount before classes starting, though it never hurts to ask.

I like to have an extra phone/laptop charger to keep in my backpack. When I only had one I would take it out at night, forget to put it back, and then be SOL at school the next day and have to ask a classmate to borrow one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
In addition to what has been mentioned don't forget about deposits for utilities, internet, etc. Rabies shots and club dues were the two biggest expenses I can remember. Club dues weren't that expensive...$10-20 but everything was interesting and I joined way too many clubs first year. I think SAVMA dues were more expensive along the lines of $30-40 and were mandatory.

Also don't forget about budget for vet school swag. The clubs at my school knew the firsties wanted to emblazon themselves and their relatives with 'XXX VET MED' items and often sold them the first month or so of school. Then another round came a month or two before Christmas. Those $20 shirts add up quick.

If possible I recommend people that move consider a well visit to the vet for your pets before school starts, particularly if you are going to be using a local GP. It might be easier to get an appointment in the event of a minor emergency or health issue if you're an existing client. Caveat: I did a wellness visit for my dog at the VTH the summer before starting school because the seniors told me HW prevention was free to students. At my appointment, technically I wasn't a student yet, just accepted, so I had to pay for the meds. He needed them so it was whatever. But don't necessarily expect a student discount before classes starting, though it never hurts to ask.

I like to have an extra phone/laptop charger to keep in my backpack. When I only had one I would take it out at night, forget to put it back, and then be SOL at school the next day and have to ask a classmate to borrow one.
I love the idea of having an extra charger in the backpack! I hadn't thought of that!

Pull over boots and coveralls if your school has you working with farm animals or equines.

I second the vet school gear. I splurged on Illinois gear (no regrets), but did it cause I specifically saved for it

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
OSU hasn't sent out anything really- I think they're waiting until their open house maybe to tell us.

Is a stethoscope one of the expenses you should expect first year?

Members don't see this ad :)
What type of stethoscope do you all recommend we should get? There's so many different ones!

OSU hasn't sent out anything really- I think they're waiting until their open house maybe to tell us.

I think it would depend on the school and if you want one first year. Illinois requires first years to have a stethoscope because of our rotations through the hospital. I'd either wait for your school to tell you what you need or find an upperclassman to ask.
What type of stethoscope do you all recommend we should get? There's so many different ones!
I like my Littmann Cardiology 3. They now have a cardiology IV..not sure what's different about it though. I regret not getting the longer tubing, but if you intend on doing SA medicine the longer tubing isn't necessary unless you want it. I picked this stethoscope because it has both a big and small side which is better for exotics and it also was the most recommended one. Other people do just fine with a super generic stethoscope or a one sided one.

Invest in a dog tag/engraving so you can keep track of your stethoscope and make sure it's yours if it happens to grow legs and walk away.

Also, if you take care of your stethoscope (I bought a case for mine on Amazon so it wouldn't get banged up in my backpack) and hang it up when it's not in use, it really should last you a lifetime. I know some vets who still use their very first stethoscope.

I think it would depend on the school and if you want one first year. Illinois requires first years to have a stethoscope because of our rotations through the hospital. I'd either wait for your school to tell you what you need or find an upperclassman to ask.

I like my Littmann Cardiology 3. They now have a cardiology IV..not sure what's different about it though. I regret not getting the longer tubing, but if you intend on doing SA medicine the longer tubing isn't necessary unless you want it. I picked this stethoscope because it has both a big and small side which is better for exotics and it also was the most recommended one. Other people do just fine with a super generic stethoscope or a one sided one.

Invest in a dog tag/engraving so you can keep track of your stethoscope and make sure it's yours if it happens to grow legs and walk away.

Also, if you take care of your stethoscope (I bought a case for mine on Amazon so it wouldn't get banged up in my backpack) and hang it up when it's not in use, it really should last you a lifetime. I know some vets who still use their very first stethoscope.
Is there any difference between long and short tubing besides just money?

Just easier to use with large animals. Or am I misinterpreting your question? Lol

I believe there is no effect on the sound quality. People in the LA world need longer tubing for safety, it gives them more leeway so they don't have to stick their heads as close to chutes or have their faces within kicking range. 5 inches doesn't seem like a whole lot, but I get frustrated with my shorter one and I don't even use it on large animals that often

Just easier to use with large animals. Or am I misinterpreting your question? Lol
Hahah I meant- quality wise. Does it make it duller/ change the sound quality when you compare the long and short tubings on the same animal?

I'm hoping they'll send all that out in our information packets in June. I was just wondering about stethoscopes this morning.

Hahah I meant- quality wise. Does it make it duller/ change the sound quality when you compare the long and short tubings on the same animal?
5 inches won't. However, there are stethoscopes that are like 3 feet long that sound like crap, but those are usually the teaching stethoscopes ironically

I've used a Littmann Cardiology STC for close to 6 years. It's still in good shape but it's one sided. Is it worth investing in a III or IV to have the option of the double sided bell?

Adding changing your car insurance if you're moving to another state, we had to pay an extra "first month" on ours upfront when we changed the policies, and I'll have to register my car in NY before my SC registration is due because of the way the insurance laws are here. Also any local pet registration fees, additional vaccines they might need (mine needed Lepto/Lyme since it wasn't a risk where we moved from).

I've used a Littmann Cardiology STC for close to 6 years. It's still in good shape but it's one sided. Is it worth investing in a III or IV to have the option of the double sided bell?

Adding changing your car insurance if you're moving to another state, we had to pay an extra "first month" on ours upfront when we changed the policies, and I'll have to register my car in NY before my SC registration is due because of the way the insurance laws are here. Also any local pet registration fees, additional vaccines they might need (mine needed Lepto/Lyme since it wasn't a risk where we moved from).

It depends on what you want to do/how much you want to spend. A one sided stethoscope will do you just fine, but in really small patients you may have a harder time hearing a crisp heart sound (small as in birds, tiny neonates, etc.). That matters to me because I auscultate tiny things really regularly. Most of my classmates got the Cardiology III for the option and because it seemed to be the stethoscope of choice for upperclassmen. Those who have one sided don't complain though. You can always see how it goes with your current one and buy another down the road if you feel you need the double sided.

Coop, you driving out to CA? If you need to move stuff, Amtrak is a really good, cheap way to move a lot of boxes of books, etc

This thread is exciting to me, I love to buy new gear :D

sent from ma fone

Coop, you driving out to CA? If you need to move stuff, Amtrak is a really good, cheap way to move a lot of boxes of books, etc

This thread is exciting to me, I love to buy new gear :D

sent from ma fone

Yes and I love you for the suggestion, still trying to figure out how to move a household across the country for under $3,000 ugh.

Yes and I love you for the suggestion, still trying to figure out how to move a household across the country for under $3,000 ugh.
That...is going to be impossible unless you already own a moving van haha

But Amtrak is good, UPS can be good (I've mailed 2 TV's across the country twice with no damage), and pack as much as you can with you. Media mail is good for mailing books.

Driving your car is possibly cheaper than getting it shipped, although it's dependent on current prices - you'll want to look at cost if hotels + gas vs. flying and shipping the car.

If you want, PM me and I'll give you some info on our movers, etc - they were good.

That is totally doable, at least price wise and assuming you have no kids. My wife and I moved to AZ from VA. Rent a Penske or Uhaul, tow the car (or sell it and buy a replacement once you get there), stay in cheap hotels on the way and drive 10 hour days to minimize your hotel stays. We made it in 4 days/3 nights. Not the most fun way to do it, but it works.

Does anyone know how much to plan for when budgeting for rabies vaccinations? Especially any insight in Illinois?

Does anyone know how much to plan for when budgeting for rabies vaccinations? Especially any insight in Illinois?

If your insurance doesn't cover it, $300 a pop.

As far as textbooks go, I would ask upperclassmen about them specifically, because while most don't get used there are a couple that are required (anatomy dissection guides come to mind) that I don't think you can find digitally.

Stethoscope isn't technically required for first year here, but it's good to have for our physical diagnosis labs...so really depends on what you'll be doing first year. I have a Welch Allyn Harvey Elite because it was on sale, but I think most people get one of the Littman varieties.

Have you called your insurance to check if they're covered? There's some discussion in the c/o 2021 thread, too.

I moved from Sacramento to Michigan last year and used budget. I got a 16 foot truck and car trailer for about 2300. Packed the truck to the brim, loaded the car with other odds and ends. Gas wasn't terrible last summer, maybe a few hundred bucks, and we drove straight through, sleeping for a few hours in rest stops. We did the drive in 2 full days. But if you're looking into drive your stuff, check out Budget and look up coupon codes. I saved 25% with a quick Google search.
I'm sure every schools insurance is slightly different, but I know a dozen or so people that got their rabies paid for by school insurance. Just took a bit of leg work and having to go to the student health center.
I second the thing about asking upper class men for/about books. There my be someone with a whole catalog of ebooks to share!

There's good stethoscope threads either here or over in the vet forum. I personally think you need to try a bunch of different stethoscopes to find what works best for you before committing 100%. There is some argument for learning on what you're going to use in practice, but I I don't advocate for buying a really expensive one at the start. I was given a Littman Classic II (the one that's about $100) and that was sufficient for clinics and internship...I could hear grade 2 murmurs just fine with it once I learned how to do it properly and practiced. I personally don't like the cardiology models Littman makes, maybe it is because I'm just used to the classic? During a rotation on cardio, I tried a Welch Allen Harvey Elite (among others) the cardiologist had and loved it. If I was still seeing patients after my internship was over I would have upgraded to the Harvey Elite. But I'd never even heard of that brand until clinics...everyone at school just had some variation of a Littman. I'd get a cheaper Littman and then share with classmates who have the more expensive models. Talk to interns, residents, and faculty about what they like, ask to try them out, and see what works best for you.

Reactions: 4 users
Not a bad idea to get your car looked over before going, especially if traveling a long distance to move in. Oil change at the least, but have your battery and tires evaluated, fluids topped off, etc.

Reactions: 3 users
Not a bad idea to get your car looked over before going, especially if traveling a long distance to move in. Oil change at the least, but have your battery and tires evaluated, fluids topped off, etc.
Completely agreed with this, especially if your car is on the older side! I dropped probably $1.5k on my 1995 Oldsmobile before heading up for vet school (4 new tires, front end alignment, new battery, oil change, mirror replacement, fluids, engine check, and general tune-up), and I'm really glad that I did. I was worried it lasting through even a couple of years into vet school but now I'm much more confident and it practically feels like a new car again! Just don't forget to keep up with more regular maintenance, too!

If anyone does get the Welch Allyn Harvey Elite, make sure to contact the company and let them know you are a student. You'll get a free accessory kit which includes a pediatric diaphragm and you might even get a free heart sounds CD. I worked at the student run book store at my vet school and we were able to order the student version which included all that stuff from McKesson. Our cardiologists tell us in cardio 2nd year to go with the Harvey Elite but that the Littmann Cardio III is their second choice.

@Coopah - Pippy made a good point. Don't forget you're leaving the state of no sales tax and going to a state that has sales tax

I skipped a lot of this thread, but I wanted to put a couple things out there.

First, don't get a nice stethy yet. At most I would get a Littman II or something, but you can wait until at least 4th year to get the fancy one. It won't make a difference in the meantime. That way, you can decide what you like, what tube length, what color, etc. and then spend the money later. Just get something cheap now (even a $20 special would be okay for now) or maybe borrow one if you can.

Specifically for @cdoconn and other OkSUers - you won't need any sort of special pants or shoes just yet as long as you have *something* that makes sense for barn work, which could be tennis shoes or something like that. You'll get a white coat during the white coat ceremony. Some keep those for 4th year, but I wouldn't. Reason being - uhh, I gained like 20lb during the first three years. So you don't know if they will fit. Plus I liked picking a specific brand for 4th year since that when you wear them daily. So use it for the labs you need a white coat in, plus maybe get a cheap cheap cheap one for anatomy lab... because it will stink forever after two semesters of that. You won't want it after. So go cheap.

You'll want a couple pairs of scrubs to wash and wear often for anatomy lab. You'll want a pair of rubber boots for equine anatomy lab, at least for certain parts of the dissection process. You'll also need a few tools - scalpel handle, hemostats, forceps? I think that's all. Label them well.

Notebooks, three ring binders, pens. Plan to buy more as you realize what you want to do to study. Dry erase board? Colored pencils? You'll need to buy Millers or find someone to borrow it from, because you'll just want your own copy. It will get juicy and disgusting. Be aware. Maybe photocopy pages in advance... or just acknowledge that it will get nasty. You'll also have to purchase the horse anatomy book, but with Lish leaving, I don't know how that will work.

I agree about setting aside some cash for shirts... and sweatpants... and license plate frames, and car stickers... and mugs... and hats, and belt buckles, and hoodies, and and and. Set aside like $100 and don't buy the first thing that they pass around a sign up for just because it's there - there are gonna be LOTS of things.

Reactions: 6 users
If anyone does get the Welch Allyn Harvey Elite, make sure to contact the company and let them know you are a student. You'll get a free accessory kit which includes a pediatric diaphragm and you might even get a free heart sounds CD. I worked at the student run book store at my vet school and we were able to order the student version which included all that stuff from McKesson. Our cardiologists tell us in cardio 2nd year to go with the Harvey Elite but that the Littmann Cardio III is their second choice.

@Coopah - Pippy made a good point. Don't forget you're leaving the state of no sales tax and going to a state that has sales tax

I LOVE my Welch Allyn Tycos. But I didn't buy it until after I graduated - sometimes things get misplaced during 4th year. I'd rather it not be my $350 stethy. So, just a thought.

On this note, if you're moving from somewhere warm to somewhere not so warm like Ohio, look into getting good all weather tires or plan on getting some winter tires in late fall. Get a ice scraper/brush BEFORE its supposed to snow. Also budget for warm weather clothes - heavy jacket, good hat, gloves, boots, scarves etc. At least in my class, the people from California and Florida were already freezing in jackets when the rest of us were still in a light shirt and jeans :p

Reactions: 1 users
I skipped a lot of this thread, but I wanted to put a couple things out there.

First, don't get a nice stethy yet. At most I would get a Littman II or something, but you can wait until at least 4th year to get the fancy one. It won't make a difference in the meantime. That way, you can decide what you like, what tube length, what color, etc. and then spend the money later. Just get something cheap now (even a $20 special would be okay for now) or maybe borrow one if you can.

Specifically for @cdoconn and other OkSUers - you won't need any sort of special pants or shoes just yet as long as you have *something* that makes sense for barn work, which could be tennis shoes or something like that. You'll get a white coat during the white coat ceremony. Some keep those for 4th year, but I wouldn't. Reason being - uhh, I gained like 20lb during the first three years. So you don't know if they will fit. Plus I liked picking a specific brand for 4th year since that when you wear them daily. So use it for the labs you need a white coat in, plus maybe get a cheap cheap cheap one for anatomy lab... because it will stink forever after two semesters of that. You won't want it after. So go cheap.

You'll want a couple pairs of scrubs to wash and wear often for anatomy lab. You'll want a pair of rubber boots for equine anatomy lab, at least for certain parts of the dissection process. You'll also need a few tools - scalpel handle, hemostats, forceps? I think that's all. Label them well.

Notebooks, three ring binders, pens. Plan to buy more as you realize what you want to do to study. Dry erase board? Colored pencils? You'll need to buy Millers or find someone to borrow it from, because you'll just want your own copy. It will get juicy and disgusting. Be aware. Maybe photocopy pages in advance... or just acknowledge that it will get nasty. You'll also have to purchase the horse anatomy book, but with Lish leaving, I don't know how that will work.

I agree about setting aside some cash for shirts... and sweatpants... and license plate frames, and car stickers... and mugs... and hats, and belt buckles, and hoodies, and and and. Set aside like $100 and don't buy the first thing that they pass around a sign up for just because it's there - there are gonna be LOTS of things.
Thank you TT!! :biglove: