Exparel and TKR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll let others like yourself do the experimentation. Thanks.

It's been 3 years since this thread started and not a single case of nerve damage linked to Exparel. In fact, it's FDA approved for TAP blocks. The drug is safe when utilized in experienced hands for the right situation.

I guess in another 3 years someone else will re-open this thread and I will post yet again the safety of the drug.

Members don't see this ad.

It's been 3 years since this thread started and not a single case of nerve damage linked to Exparel. In fact, it's FDA approved for TAP blocks. The drug is safe when utilized in experienced hands for the right situation.

I guess in another 3 years someone else will re-open this thread and I will post yet again the safety of the drug.
True, you have been using it for a while and I'm starting to accept your statements. But safety based on a TAP block isn't the same thing as placing it on a major conductive nerve. But it is a start, I'll give you that.

I have said all along that nothing is better than the femoral/sciatic nerve blocks for TKA. In the May 2017 vol 126, number 5 issue iPod Anesthesiology there is a Meta-analysis of 170 RCT's which agrees with my stance.
And Exparel is very low on the list of effective treatments. ACB's are in the middle which is significantly lower than FNB/SNB. The obturator block also adds some quality.

Pain Management Modalities after Total Knee Arthroplasty:A Network Meta-analysis of 170 Randomized Controlled Trials | Anesthesiology | ASA Publications

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have said all along that nothing is better than the femoral/sciatic nerve blocks for TKA. In the May 2017 vol 126, number 5 issue iPod Anesthesiology there is a Meta-analysis of 170 RCT's which agrees with my stance.
And Exparel is very low on the list of effective treatments. ACB's are in the middle which is significantly lower than FNB/SNB. The obturator block also adds some quality.

Pain Management Modalities after Total Knee Arthroplasty:A Network Meta-analysis of 170 Randomized Controlled Trials | Anesthesiology | ASA Publications

I agree with you: Nothing is better than Fem/Sciatic for a total knee. (perhaps Lumbar Plexus/Sciatic being slightly better). It's so good that pain scores are routinely 0-1 with both those blocks.

But, that's not the pathway for ERAS and early discharge. Pain scores are in the 3-4 range with LIA, Adductor Canal/iPack plus non opioid based meds (decadron, NSAID, Tylenol, Neurontin/Lyrica, etc) and that's the pathway most hospitals are starting to utilize.

http://aserhq.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/16_ASER_NL_web.pdf

Last edited:
This is what matters to hospital administrators:
J Arthroplasty. 2015 Oct;30(10):1705-9. doi: 10.1016/j.arth.2015.05.007. Epub 2015 May 12.
Reduced Length of Hospitalization in Primary Total Knee Arthroplasty Patients Using an Updated Enhanced Recovery After Orthopedic Surgery (ERAS) Pathway.
Auyong DB1, Allen CJ1, Pahang JA1, Clabeaux JJ1, MacDonald KM1, Hanson NA1.
Author information

Abstract
Decreasing hospital length of stay may attenuate costs associated with total knee arthroplasty. The purpose of this study was to determine if updates to an existing orthopedic enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS) pathway would improve length of hospitalization. Clinical and demographic data were collected on 252 primary total knee arthroplasties between January 2012 and July 2013. Pre-updated and post-updated ERAS pathway cohorts were analyzed for length of stay, clinical outcomes, and re-admissions. The mean length of stay decreased from 76.6 hours to 56.1 hours after implementation of the evidence-based orthopedic enhanced recovery after surgery pathway (P<0.001). This improvement was possible without a concomitant increase in readmission rates.

This is what matters to hospital administrators:
J Arthroplasty. 2015 Oct;30(10):1705-9. doi: 10.1016/j.arth.2015.05.007. Epub 2015 May 12.
Reduced Length of Hospitalization in Primary Total Knee Arthroplasty Patients Using an Updated Enhanced Recovery After Orthopedic Surgery (ERAS) Pathway.
Auyong DB1, Allen CJ1, Pahang JA1, Clabeaux JJ1, MacDonald KM1, Hanson NA1.
Author information

Abstract
Decreasing hospital length of stay may attenuate costs associated with total knee arthroplasty. The purpose of this study was to determine if updates to an existing orthopedic enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS) pathway would improve length of hospitalization. Clinical and demographic data were collected on 252 primary total knee arthroplasties between January 2012 and July 2013. Pre-updated and post-updated ERAS pathway cohorts were analyzed for length of stay, clinical outcomes, and re-admissions. The mean length of stay decreased from 76.6 hours to 56.1 hours after implementation of the evidence-based orthopedic enhanced recovery after surgery pathway (P<0.001). This improvement was possible without a concomitant increase in readmission rates.
I understand the ERAS agenda but what if we are already within the 56hr LOS window? Our next step is outpt joints. Unfortunately we lost a surgeon that was making great strides towards this and in his replacement got a new grad that is years away. The others are close enough to try this outpt joint replacement but there isn't any strong reason to do it yet. But as an anesthesia dept, we are locked and loaded.

Oh and just in case you think it's a long way away, I actually personally had my THA this year on an outpt basis. Surgery was at 8:15am. I was out of recovery shortly after 10. Ate a full lunch (meatloaf with mashed potatoes and gravy). Ready for D/c by 2pm. It isn't hard to do. Pts make the greatest difference though.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there any data showing decreased hospital stay, improved outcomes, or decreased cost when Exparel is used in ACB or Femoral nerve blocks for TKR?
If such data does not exist then I feel that anyone advertising the opposite is likely paid by the shady manufacturer.

Reactions: 1 users
Is there any data showing decreased hospital stay, improved outcomes, or decreased cost when Exparel is used in ACB or Femoral nerve blocks for TKR?
If such data does not exist then I feel that anyone advertising the opposite is likely paid by the shady manufacturer.

I'm not being paid a dime. The adductor canal blocks last 40-48 hours with exparel vs 24 hours with Bup plus dexamethasone. Discharge time is the same. The only difference is slightly higher satisfaction scores with the exparel. If you want to save the $285 then just go with Bup with dexamethasone. But, I think the extra hours of analgesia is worth the money while some of you don't

Liposomal Bupivacaine: Dr. Vandepitte’s Test Criteria
Dr. Vandepitte staged a special study to determine “the safety and efficacy of adding liposomal bupivacaine (Exparel, Pacira)” to the current protocol.”

Any study must establish criteria, so let’s investigate Dr. Vanpitte’s list:

1. The research was designed as a randomized, double-blind study.

2. Eligible patients were between 18 and 90 years old. They met the American Society of Anesthesiologists physical status I to III. For this research, 50 orthopedic patients with arthroscopic shoulder surgeries slated, were selected.

3. Status Quo: The orthopedic surgery patients were given “a single-shot interscalene brachial plexus block as part of their multimodal analgesia protocol.”

A Special Note on the Interscalene Technique
This technique was a perfect choice for the upper arm and shoulder nerve block. “The interscalene technique is ideal for coverage of the lateral 2/3 of the clavicle…the shoulder…and the proximal humerus.” Our advanced readers should note that “…when arthroscopic surgery is undertaken, the posterior arthroscopic port may require additional infiltration.”

You can learn more about the interscalene technique at the online resource of Open Anesthesia.Org.

Dr. Vandepitte’s Methods of Measurement for the Performance of Liposomal Bupivacaine :
The pain-relieving data was recorded for the first 7 days after surgery. Analysis was charted according to two measuring tools:

The Modified Brief Pain Inventory (short form)
The Overall Benefit of Analgesia Score

Dr. Vandepitte acknowledged in advance that extensive surgeries such as total shoulder replacement or rotator cuff repair could require an interscalene brachial plexus catheter. (See more about the pain relieving catheter, as you continue reading.)

The Research Procedure
The 50 patients included in the study were randomly assigned to receive either one of two treatments:

iStock_20498699_MEDIUM-300x200.jpg

Research like Dr. vandepitte’s Liposomal Bupivaciane study help anesthesiologists defeat post-op pain before it starts.

A. The interscalene brachial plexus block with 15 mL of bupivacaine 0.25% or

B. The interscalene brachial plexus block with “a mixture of liposomal bupivacaine and bupivacaine 0.25%. “

Additionally, all patients received general anesthesia. Any “opioids during the study period were short-acting (i.e., remifentanil in combination with propofol).”

Dr. Vandepitte explained, “The problem [with] interscalene brachial plexus single-shots is the amount of time of analgesia is limited to up to 12 to 14 hours.”

Previous to Dr. Vandepitte’s research, the answer to this problem was to place catheters to help extend the analgesia.

The catheters could extend the time for effective analgesia, but they had drawbacks: They required cautious and time-consuming expertise for placement. Complications could ensue if the pain-relieving catheters became dislocated.

Last but not least, some patients also were uncomfortable or anxious with the idea of being sent home with a pain relieving catheter in place.

Dr. Vandepitte stated, “Our hypothesis was that if we could add liposomal bupivacaine as an additive to bupivacaine, we could extend the analgesia time in a way that patients would be much more comfortable, going home earlier and not needing catheters.”

Dr. Vandepitte’s Conclusions
When the results were tabulated, the researchers were pleased.

“We found that the addition of liposomal bupivacaine resulted in lower pain thresholds up to seven days postoperatively,” Dr. Vandepitte announced.

Her data backed up her desired conclusion:

1. Worst pain scores on postoperative day 1 were 2.2±2.8 for the liposomal bupivacaine mixture group and 4.0±3.5 for the bupivacaine-only group.

2. Worst pain scores on postoperative day 7 were 4.2±2.6 for the liposomal bupivacaine mixture and but the bupivacaine-only group scored 5.2±2.4,

3. It must be mentioned that liposomal bupivacaine is currently not approved for peripheral blocks. The team conducted this research only after receiving several approvals, not the least of which was from the ethics committee.

Throughout the study, the researchers were also on the look-out for respiratory problems from diaphragmatic paralysis. Fortunately there were no “prolonged motor blockade or respiratory problems” in either study group.

You might have noticed this was a very small study. Dr. Vandepitte is well aware there is much more work to be done in this area. Future studies will include “determining the ideal dose of liposomal bupivacaine to administer for interscalene brachial plexus blocks.”

ADDITION OF LIPOSOME BUPIVACAINE (EXPAREL®) TO BUPIVACAINE... by Dr. Ine Leunen

Addition of Liposome Bupivacaine to Bupivacaine HCl Versus B... : Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine

Liposomal Bupivacaine: Dr. Vandepitte’s Test Criteria
Dr. Vandepitte staged a special study to determine “the safety and efficacy of adding liposomal bupivacaine (Exparel, Pacira)” to the current protocol.”

Any study must establish criteria, so let’s investigate Dr. Vanpitte’s list:

1. The research was designed as a randomized, double-blind study.

2. Eligible patients were between 18 and 90 years old. They met the American Society of Anesthesiologists physical status I to III. For this research, 50 orthopedic patients with arthroscopic shoulder surgeries slated, were selected.

3. Status Quo: The orthopedic surgery patients were given “a single-shot interscalene brachial plexus block as part of their multimodal analgesia protocol.”

A Special Note on the Interscalene Technique
This technique was a perfect choice for the upper arm and shoulder nerve block. “The interscalene technique is ideal for coverage of the lateral 2/3 of the clavicle…the shoulder…and the proximal humerus.” Our advanced readers should note that “…when arthroscopic surgery is undertaken, the posterior arthroscopic port may require additional infiltration.”

You can learn more about the interscalene technique at the online resource of Open Anesthesia.Org.

Dr. Vandepitte’s Methods of Measurement for the Performance of Liposomal Bupivacaine :
The pain-relieving data was recorded for the first 7 days after surgery. Analysis was charted according to two measuring tools:

The Modified Brief Pain Inventory (short form)
The Overall Benefit of Analgesia Score

Dr. Vandepitte acknowledged in advance that extensive surgeries such as total shoulder replacement or rotator cuff repair could require an interscalene brachial plexus catheter. (See more about the pain relieving catheter, as you continue reading.)

The Research Procedure
The 50 patients included in the study were randomly assigned to receive either one of two treatments:

iStock_20498699_MEDIUM-300x200.jpg

Research like Dr. vandepitte’s Liposomal Bupivaciane study help anesthesiologists defeat post-op pain before it starts.

A. The interscalene brachial plexus block with 15 mL of bupivacaine 0.25% or

B. The interscalene brachial plexus block with “a mixture of liposomal bupivacaine and bupivacaine 0.25%. “

Additionally, all patients received general anesthesia. Any “opioids during the study period were short-acting (i.e., remifentanil in combination with propofol).”

Dr. Vandepitte explained, “The problem [with] interscalene brachial plexus single-shots is the amount of time of analgesia is limited to up to 12 to 14 hours.”

Previous to Dr. Vandepitte’s research, the answer to this problem was to place catheters to help extend the analgesia.

The catheters could extend the time for effective analgesia, but they had drawbacks: They required cautious and time-consuming expertise for placement. Complications could ensue if the pain-relieving catheters became dislocated.

Last but not least, some patients also were uncomfortable or anxious with the idea of being sent home with a pain relieving catheter in place.

Dr. Vandepitte stated, “Our hypothesis was that if we could add liposomal bupivacaine as an additive to bupivacaine, we could extend the analgesia time in a way that patients would be much more comfortable, going home earlier and not needing catheters.”

Dr. Vandepitte’s Conclusions
When the results were tabulated, the researchers were pleased.

“We found that the addition of liposomal bupivacaine resulted in lower pain thresholds up to seven days postoperatively,” Dr. Vandepitte announced.

Her data backed up her desired conclusion:

1. Worst pain scores on postoperative day 1 were 2.2±2.8 for the liposomal bupivacaine mixture group and 4.0±3.5 for the bupivacaine-only group.

2. Worst pain scores on postoperative day 7 were 4.2±2.6 for the liposomal bupivacaine mixture and but the bupivacaine-only group scored 5.2±2.4,

3. It must be mentioned that liposomal bupivacaine is currently not approved for peripheral blocks. The team conducted this research only after receiving several approvals, not the least of which was from the ethics committee.

Throughout the study, the researchers were also on the look-out for respiratory problems from diaphragmatic paralysis. Fortunately there were no “prolonged motor blockade or respiratory problems” in either study group.

You might have noticed this was a very small study. Dr. Vandepitte is well aware there is much more work to be done in this area. Future studies will include “determining the ideal dose of liposomal bupivacaine to administer for interscalene brachial plexus blocks.”

ADDITION OF LIPOSOME BUPIVACAINE (EXPAREL®) TO BUPIVACAINE... by Dr. Ine Leunen

Addition of Liposome Bupivacaine to Bupivacaine HCl Versus B... : Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine
Did you read the study other than talking points?

First off, they used 15ml 0.25% bupi, not 0.5% in the control group. We all more more local is longer duration and I personally always use 0.5%.

Second, the standard group only had 15ml 0.25% while the test group had 25ml of local.

Third, there was no difference in duration between the two groups for sensory or motor, and that was with 0.25bupi and not 0.5% and not to mention no adjuvants...

Lastly, it's paid for by Pacira in full. It's in the disclosures.

Did you read the study other than talking points?

First off, they used 15ml 0.25% bupi, not 0.5% in the control group. We all more more local is longer duration and I personally always use 0.5%.

Second, the standard group only had 15ml 0.25% while the test group had 25ml of local.

Third, there was no difference in duration between the two groups for sensory or motor, and that was with 0.25bupi and not 0.5% and not to mention no adjuvants...

Lastly, it's paid for by Pacira in full. It's in the disclosures.

Sure, I read the ENTIRE study. I see all the issues with it. Still, it's additional soft "proof" that one should NOT just dismiss a long acting liposomal bupivacaine as potentially playing an important role in our practices.

I know the "real facts" aren't nearly as rosy as this "study" portrays for Liposomal Bupivacaine vs 0.5% Bup with dexamathesone (the drugs we use in real clinical practice).

Conclusions:

The addition of 10 mL of liposome bupivacaine 133 mg to 5 mL bupivacaine HCl 0.25% significantly prolonged analgesia and patient satisfaction following major shoulder surgery without altering block onset characteristics or increasing sensory-motor profiles, and without increasing the occurrence of side effects when compared to bupivacaine HCl alone.

Maybe you are getting paid by the huge billion dollar companies who have bribed the FDA to keep Exparel down. Those billion dollar companies have much to loose if Exparel succeeds. It seems you are in their pocket. ;)

The 0.5% Bup with dexamethasone is a very good choice for an Adductor canal block. I typically see 24 hours of good postop analgesia. With Exparel (Liposomal Bupivacaine) I'm seeing about 40 hours of postop analgesia (133 mg in a total volume 20 mls). The cost difference is substantial and you must determine if that cost difference of $280 is worth it for the additional 16 hours of analgesia. I tend to think it is worth it but that's just my opinion.

The 0.5% Bup with dexamethasone is a very good choice for an Adductor canal block. I typically see 24 hours of good postop analgesia. With Exparel (Liposomal Bupivacaine) I'm seeing about 40 hours of postop analgesia (133 mg in a total volume 20 mls). The cost difference is substantial and you must determine if that cost difference of $280 is worth it for the additional 16 hours of analgesia. I tend to think it is worth it but that's just my opinion.
Fair enough.