EXP Button on Calculator During PCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

9each

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
This might be a really dumb question but is there an EXP (exponent) button on the calculator provided in the PCAT? I don't understand how I can complete questions like the amount of energy emitted. How will I plug in -RH (-2.18x10^-18) on a standard calculator?

Members don't see this ad.

Not a dumb question. They give you a pretty simple calculator, like that found on a Windows computer. I don't remember there being any exponent functions; only basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. I don't think you'll see any questions on light physics. Check out the PCAT blueprint to see the list of tested topics http://pcatweb.info/downloads/about/pcattestblueprintandsampleitems.pdf

Any questions with numbers in scientific notation will be simple and doable on scratch paper. You'll be expected to know how to divide and multiply them eg (5x10^-2) * (2x10^-2) = 1x10^-3

Reactions: 1 users
Not a dumb question. They give you a pretty simple calculator, like that found on a Windows computer. I don't remember there being any exponent functions; only basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. I don't think you'll see any questions on light physics. Check out the PCAT blueprint to see the list of tested topics http://pcatweb.info/downloads/about/pcattestblueprintandsampleitems.pdf

Any questions with numbers in scientific notation will be simple and doable on scratch paper. You'll be expected to know how to divide and multiply them eg (5x10^-2) * (2x10^-2) = 1x10^-3

OK great! thanks for answering this was actually a question from the Kaplan book. Did you take the pcat this year?

OK great! thanks for answering this was actually a question from the Kaplan book. Did you take the pcat this year?

No problem! Yeah i took it this past January. It's unnecessary for the Kaplan to go into that topic.