Exercise Bio versus General Bio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wicked1977

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello sdn! First-time poster here but I was wondering what would be the best path to becoming a PT, majoring in general bio or exercise biology. I am currently a 2nd year transferring to UCI as a 3rd year but I am not entirely sure if I want to switch from biological sciences to exercise biology. Also, I would love any advice on what I should plan on doing. So far, I am planning on doing some shadowing into outpatient clinics during the summer and taking the GRE sometime in my 3rd year (with studying of course). Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Pick the major you enjoy the most and can still allow you to finish all the pre-reqs for when you apply. I didnt notice a favoritism for a certain major and most schools you just need the bachelors but doesnt matter what in. To prepare for applying get good grades in your remaining classes, observe in a wide variety of settings to really understand the PT field and to be sure its what you want to do, aim for a 300+ on the GRE (magoosh helped me), and if you have time look at PTCAS or school websites for non-PTCAS schools and start seeing what schools you may be interested in and see if they have any special requirements or things you need to be aware of so you are not surprised when its time to apply.

Reactions: 1 user
Schools don't care what your major is. You're fine as long as you complete all the prereqs. Plan on doing observation in more than just an outpatient clinic. More settings with less hours is preferred over more hours in one setting, so be sure to look into other settings. I've heard really good things about preping for the GRE with magoosh, so I would definitely utilize that. When you take the GRE, be sure to leave enough time before application deadlines to retake it if needed.