Examples of bad Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Honor20

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking for an example of a bad psychology study (because it was silly, unethical, or poorly done) that was published before 1930. I would prefer it to be less well known, which is why I am seeing if someone has any ideas on here.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I am looking for an example of a bad psychology study (because it was silly, unethical, or poorly done) that was published before 1930. I would prefer it to be less well known, which is why I am seeing if someone has any ideas on here.

Thank you!

I don't think I've ever read a psychology 'study' published before 1930. Like...ever (and I've read a LOT of psychology studies).

Perhaps you took the use of the word study too specifically, but very sorry for the error

Members don't see this ad :)
No idea either. Although I might imagine if prior to 1930, something along the lines of:

"Women in the Workplace?!: An Empirical Study."

Reactions: 3 users
No not homework, it is for a presentation I am giving..not for school
and keep your pants on MC parent it was a genuine apology....

Reactions: 1 user

Pay no mind to MCparent, who is known for being dramatic and taking things out of context.

In all seriousness, I'm not sure what the research was like back then...beyond the psychophysicalist stuff, Titchener? Wundt? Been a while since I took or taught History & Systems of Psychology. Wasn't the whole statistical stuff (in terms of hypothesis testing and inferential statistics a la Fischer, Pearson and peeps) just being developed around that time? So, not sure that there were a whole lot of empirical studies that involved statistical hypothesis testing...maybe some t-tests or examination of descriptive statistics between groups. I'd imagine that the methodology (such as it was) was pretty primitive back then, too...so probably lots of flawed (by modern standards) investigations. Lots of case studies and philosophical speculative work. If I were looking for studies from around that time, my best bet would be to get ahold of a 'History and Systems of Psychology' text and then pick out one or two of the folks in there and do a Google Scholar lit search? Good luck with your presentation.

I would actually bet the rigor of psychological research was better before the days of the NIMH and the development of the publish or perish academic mentality.

I would actually bet the rigor of psychological research was better before the days of the NIMH and the development of the publish or perish academic mentality.

You got a good point, there. The logical (thinking) half of the whole logical empirical approach was a whole lot more developed (before they started 'crunching' the data by hand). Also (a bit off topic I suppose, but I'm known for that :)) I find that some of the cognitive behavioral texts from the 60's, 70's and 80's (by Beck, Ellis, Meichenbaum, Mahoney, for example) seem to be much more interesting reads and much better written in terms of fleshing out the conceptual parts of their models than a lot of the modern stuff (which often is pretty damn boring and cookie cutter, by comparison).

Pay no mind to MCparent, who is known for being dramatic and taking things out of context.

Well, this just makes me want to set things on fire.

How is it "for a presentation" but somehow not homework? Work? OK, what's the consultation fee for doing your work for you...?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No idea either. Although I might imagine if prior to 1930, something along the lines of:

"Women in the Workplace?!: An Empirical Study."

"The "refrigerator mother" and its impacts: An empirical study."

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

How is it "for a presentation" but somehow not homework? Work? OK, what's the consultation fee for doing your work for you...?

oh "set things on fire?" okay. I volunteered to do a speech for a group of students....but send your address and i'll send you a check. Why spend so much time (you are on here a lot) on a site MCparent designed for helping colleagues if you want a consultation fee? I am done here but feel free to keep rubbing sticks together :)

Thanks to everyone else for your help.

oh "set things on fire?" okay. I volunteered to do a speech for a group of students....but send your address and i'll send you a check. Why spend so much time (you are on here a lot) on a site MCparent designed for helping colleagues if you want a consultation fee? I am done here but feel free to keep rubbing sticks together :)

"WAISting your time: A New Fangled Way of Measuring Intelligence (without skull size?)"

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

Figured it would. predictable.

I sent you some ideas. sorry some people acted so rudely about this.

"The Wisconsin Card Sort Challenge: Not Quite Full Frontal?"

Thank you! I'll be here all night.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Who cares?

People who care too much about internet forums: When to know the signs of internet addiction. Look it up.

Who cares?

People who care too much about internet forums: When to know the signs of internet addiction. Look it up.

Step 1: Challenge a member's conduct on an internet forum due to your outrage.

Step 2: Complain about how much people care about Internet forms.

Last edited:
Step 1: Challenge a member's conduct on an internet forum.

Step 2: Complain about how much people care about Internet forms.

Step 1: Spend all free time on internet forum seeking questions to give advice to in order to meet some personal need
Step 2: Get upset when people do not ask the types of questions you think are okay to ask on that forum or worthy of your time....

Step 1: Spend all free time on internet forum seeking questions to give advice to in order to meet some personal need
Step 2: Get upset when people do not ask the types of questions you think are okay to ask on that forum or worthy of your time....

1. Follow thread because of your outrage.

2. Complain about other's sense of outrage and lecture that they should not be following an internet thread because of their outrage.

Step 1: follow threads daily
Step 2: complain daily about others following threads and disagreeing with you

Sorry I have to go, but feel free to continue.

Step 1: follow threads daily
Step 2: complain daily about others following threads and disagreeing with you

Sorry I have to go, but feel free to continue.

1. Come to the forum infrequently and complain about people who come to the forum even though you think the forum is stupid and no one should be here in the first place.

2. Take your dollies and go home when you get mad about people on a forum that is stupid.

This all makes alot of sense.

Last edited:
I am not upset at all actually, and you can feel free to message me if you have more to discuss. It just seemed like an unproductive conversation and a waste of space for people that use this site to seek help. Who is this conversation helping? Dollies? Sexist much?

no one should be here in the first place.---> this was never said btw

I am not upset at all actually, and you can feel free to message me if you have more to discuss. It just seemed like an unproductive conversation and a waste of space for people that use this site to seek help. Who is this conversation helping? Dollies? Sexist much?

Well, I wasn't outraged at all actually (but I'm not particularly inclined to EBSCO that **** on a Sunday night).

And I thought my joke studies were pretty clever. Didn't you?

Reactions: 1 users
Well, I wasn't outraged at all actually (but I'm not particularly inclined to EBSCO that **** on a Sunday night).

And I thought my joke studies were pretty clever. Didn't you?

Happy Easter :)

Status
Not open for further replies.