MCAT Examkrackers Complete MCAT Study Package

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

XM Examkrackers

Test Prep Exhibitor
Vendor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear SDN Members:

Examkrackers books are by far the #1 best-selling MCAT prep books on Amazon.com. The Complete MCAT Study Package provides a comprehensive review of all the science content and verbal strategies that you need for the MCAT. It is regarded by many students as an absolutely essential part of any serious MCAT preparation strategy. Our books are colorful, engaging, and thought-provoking, designed to help you stay focused and learning the whole time. If you decide to take the Examkrackers Comprehensive course, the books are included as part of the course package. If you decide to study on your own at home, you’ll find that the Complete Study Package offers unparalleled effectiveness in preparing you for the MCAT. Just browse around the MCAT discussion forums to see what we mean.

To view the home study schedule, please visit http://www.examkrackers.com/home-study.php

This package includes all five Examkrackers course manuals, one for each MCAT topic (biology, physics, chemistry, organic chemistry, and verbal). It provides:
· 1,088 pages of concentrated preparation material
· 31 half-hour MCAT practice exams with answers and explanations
· More than 1,630 MCAT questions
If you have any questions about the complete study package or the home study schedule, please post them here.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Yours,

The EK Team
www.examkrackers.com

Examkrackers will giving away one free Examkrackers Complete MCAT Study Package to one lucky member. Winners for each raffle will be drawn from among the members who post questions about the product or otherwise meaningfully contribute to the discussion.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 7th biology.jpg
    7th biology.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 187
  • 7th chemistry.jpg
    7th chemistry.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 179
  • 7th organic chemistry.jpg
    7th organic chemistry.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 188
  • 7th physics.jpg
    7th physics.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 166
  • 7th verbal reasoning.jpg
    7th verbal reasoning.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 196
Why do students have to pay an additional amount of money to register for the EK message boards in order to access the errata for these books?

Do your study materials include any tips for memorization, committing facts to long-term memory, etc., and/or overall test-taking strategies?

Members don't see this ad :)
How does the new edition compare to the older one? Any changes/upgrades?

Thanks!

Do these books have any information or tips geared towards the computer-based exam?

Does Examkrackers plan to formulate more of their own computer-based tests?

Why does the company feel that there is an advantage to pre-reading lectures versus reading thoroughly once and spot reading to confirm details or to help with a missed question?

Thanks!

Why do students have to pay an additional amount of money to register for the EK message boards in order to access the errata for these books?

Excellent question and I would like an answer as well. I just bought nearly every EK book on Amazon and have noticed a few errors already. I went online to check them out and I have to pay additional amounts of money to view your mistakes? As it stands now, I'm going to return the books unless something change. That's poor business practice.

how many people actually buy the elite membership? i think im going to return mine too

While the errata are pretty annoying, I haven't noticed many (in other words, only one) serious errors. Most of them are just distracting typos, and really there aren't that many of them.

I'm not an EK fanboy, but most people seem to exaggerate how bad the errors are. I've used the EK books almost exclusively and I've yet to feel the need to get an membership.

Are there any differences between the MCAT classroom course and self-studying course?

Excellent question and I would like an answer as well. I just bought nearly every EK book on Amazon and have noticed a few errors already. I went online to check them out and I have to pay additional amounts of money to view your mistakes? As it stands now, I'm going to return the books unless something change. That's poor business practice.

One month of the forum access is provided free when you buy any of our books. You just have to contact the main office (1-888-KRACKEM) and provide them with a proof of purchase and you will have free access to the forum.

I find it funny that people slam you for "poor business practice" when you actually bother to write up an errata list. Yes, there are mistakes in the books. In fact, I challenge you to find any book without any errors. I've taught for both TPR and EK and all of the books have errors. However, we are the only company that even bothers to publish an errata list for our books. At least with our books, you can get the correct information.

Forum access is much more than the errata list. The reason the forums need paid access is because we have paid moderators (top EK instructors) whose sole job is to answer any question you may have about the material. We also have Judy Levine (former medical school director of admissions, private premed advisor, and founder and principal of Premed Advising Services in Tarrytown New York) who moderates another section that exists solely to help you guys with questions regarding med school admissions.

Do your study materials include any tips for memorization, committing facts to long-term memory, etc., and/or overall test-taking strategies?

Hi SalemK,

There are plenty of tips available in the study materials. In a lot of cases, the tips and techniques are highlighted in the margins from "Salty" in orange to make sure you don't miss them.

How does the new edition compare to the older one? Any changes/upgrades?

Thanks!

Hi ratherberocking,

There are minor changes between edition to edition. The newer editions fix mistakes that were made in prior editions and try to update the books to accommodate the newer format. For instance, the verbal book has been updated a lot and you will see this in the next edition coming out.

However, I would say if you have any of the past few editions (probably back to 5th edition), I think you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do these books have any information or tips geared towards the computer-based exam?

There are some new tips in the newer editions and the editions coming out that will address the computer-based exam. However, I think a lot of students get caught up in the difference between the CBT versus the old paper-based exam. Unlike the GRE, which is adaptive, the only real difference between the CBT and the paper exam is the length and how it is administered. The content and knowledge tested is still the same and still requires you to understand your basic physics, chem, bio, etc.

If you are worried about taking the exam on the computer, I think all you have to do is take a few practice tests from the AAMC and you will be familiar with the layout on the computer. If you take our prep course, you will get 5 AAMC exams as part of the course. If you are studying on your own, you can just buy the exams directly from the AAMC.

We will be rolling out some of our own computer-based tests to give our students some more options to practice with. However, any of the tests that EK, or any of the other test prep companies design, are not the same as the actual MCAT from the AAMC. Since the AAMC already gives you the option to buy their exams, I would use those first as they are straight from the AAMC and most like the real exam.

Why does the company feel that there is an advantage to pre-reading lectures versus reading thoroughly once and spot reading to confirm details or to help with a missed question?

Thanks!

That advice is partially based on the fact that these are the books we use for our classroom prep courses and we want students to read the chapter before coming to class, as well as a few times afterwards.

Also, I feel like it is impossible to just thoroughly read a lecture once. Just like when you were studying for class, did you just ever read a lecture once without going back to it? You will always needs to go back and spot read any section that you are having trouble with and are missing questions on, even if you felt like you already knew that material.

how many people actually buy the elite membership?

Like I said earlier, a lot of people gain access to the forums for free for a month when they buy one of our books. They majority of people either gain access to our forums from taking our prep course (1 year of forum access for free), or they pay for access to the forums so they can poise questions to instructors who have all scored in the top 1% (ie ~40 or above) or get advice on applying to med school.

While the errata are pretty annoying, I haven't noticed many (in other words, only one) serious errors. Most of them are just distracting typos, and really there aren't that many of them.

I'm not an EK fanboy, but most people seem to exaggerate how bad the errors are. I've used the EK books almost exclusively and I've yet to feel the need to get an membership.

How many of you guys go poring through the errata of a textbook or review book for school? Do you really think those books are error free? If there are serious errors in the EK books (and trust me, I teach from those books, there are very few serious errors) you are most likely going to realize what they are from what you learned in class. None of these materials in these books are new. This is why all of these prep classes are "review". We're not here to teach you the material for the first time, we're just here to make sure you understand exactly the scope of what is on the MCAT.

i think im going to return mine too

This is silly at best and just plain ignorant. Since there isn't an errata put out for pretty much every other review book on the market, do you really believe that they are all correct? If you are going to return every single book from now on because they have mistakes in them, you are going to be very disappointed in life... and have no books left.

Are there any differences between the MCAT classroom course and self-studying course?

Well, the 5 course books are the same ones that we use in class, and although the schedule is slightly different, anything you get in class, you can purchase separately to use with the self-study course.

The obvious difference is that you have a really good instructor (usually MD or MD/PhD student) who has scored in the top 5% or above and actually enjoys teaching, up there explaining the concepts and answering your questions.

I've meet plenty of students at conventions and conferences that have used our books and self-study schedule and done extraordinarily well on the MCAT, especially in regions where we don't offer an MCAT class yet.

Having an instructor there helps, but honestly, just like later on in med school or as a doctor, the majority of the responsibility is yours, and you are really the only person who can control how well you do on the MCAT.

How do your books compare with that of other companies (ie., Kaplan)? Are they more detailed, less detailed, are the questions more based on comprehension vs. memorization? What's so good about your books that make them the best seller on Amazon.com?

How do your books compare with that of other companies (ie., Kaplan)? Are they more detailed, less detailed, are the questions more based on comprehension vs. memorization? What's so good about your books that make them the best seller on Amazon.com?

Personally, I like them (EK) a lot better. The detail is more relevant (I'd say less detailed w/ focus placed on key areas instead of the seeming "brain dump" Kaplan tends to give in its review books) and they have a much "nicer" design (i.e., compared to Kaplan, they're easier on your eyes w/ full-color diagrams, larger font, etc.). EK is also The King when it comes to verbal.

I have the EK biology set and I must say, I think that EK is much better than any of the other MCAT materials out there on this subject. I'm looking forward to getting more EK materials!

EK is also The King when it comes to verbal.

I second that. I'm not a fan of the verbal section and my honest feeling is that it's the hardest to prepare for, so I appreciate EK's pragmatic approach. I don't use all of the strategies, but the few I use seem to work well. The biology book is well done too. Now if you could improve your chemistry and physics books to even half the level of verbal it would be nice. I've turned elsewhere for those subjects but I'm definitely using EK for biology and verbal.

PRamos, bconway52 and apumic, thank you for sharing your opinion of the books! Although I can say a lot about why our books are great, I think having students share their experiences with the books a lot more believable.

I think apumic put it pretty well and I just want to give you my point on this. First of all, the MCAT does not test everything that you learn in college. It only tests a specific subset of that knowledge.

While some of the other test prep materials out there are like a condensed version of a college textbook, with a lot of extraneous info that is not tested on the MCAT, we designed our books from the ground up to only cover the topics that are actually tested on the MCAT.

The goal of our books is not to teach you all of the material for the first time. You paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for college to teach you that material. Our job is to make sure you understand exactly what is tested on the MCAT. Giving you a bunch of extra information that is not required does not help you at all. In fact, it probably hurts your overall score because you waste time studying topics that are not being tested.

I think this is why our books are so highly recommended by students who have used them. I've actually spoken to a lot of students who bought our books and use them instead of the books that they get for free from their prep course. I think that says a lot.

Last edited:
For how long do you advise students to study with these materials before taking the MCAT?

Do students report a significantly different change in score when they have used the on-line course vs. classroom course (i.e. is the on-line course more, less, or equally effective compared to the equivalent classroom course)?

I've heard great things about the EK Bio book, but I've heard nothing at all about the EK Organic Chem book. Do you cover all topics of OChem that are not likely to be found on the MCAT including H NMR, or just the highlights?

Is the EK "complete study package" really a complete and thorough preparation for the MCAT? In other words, in terms of review material, is it all you need?

For how long do you advise students to study with these materials before taking the MCAT?

Do students report a significantly different change in score when they have used the on-line course vs. classroom course (i.e. is the on-line course more, less, or equally effective compared to the equivalent classroom course)?

My reply to both of you is pretty much the same. Each student is different. I tell my students all the time that I will give them advice on my experience, but that advice is also most apt for those students who fall into the average MCAT student category. If a given student is weak with English, had terrible Physics and Chemistry teachers, has been working for five years since college, can only study 2 hours a day after working most of the day, etc., etc., then he or she will have to adjust his/her expectations/plans.

This is another reason why we have our students take a practice MCAT before they start our course. If your goal is a 32 (a fitting goal, by the way, for almost every MD school) and you score a 22 on your practice test, realize you have 10 points to go, and that will take time--probably more than the 8 or 9 weeks of our course. You will learn all you need to learn through our course, whether it's live or the study-at-home course, but after you understand what you need to, you need to practice it enough that you know it "like the back of your hand" and are very quick in responding to any prompt or question. Your goal is to be "in the zone" when answering questions, to feel as if you don't even need to think, so realize that that takes time and repetition to accomplish, and how much time depends on how much you're learning this material for the first time (as opposed to reviewing things you once knew very well), how much you've understood in the past, versus memorized rote, and how good a test taker you are. I've never studied more than 5 weeks for an MCAT, and I used Examkrackers materials only, but I'd hardly tell everyone to get scores in the 30s in the same way.

So, billw, in case you don't feel I've addressed your question, we hear of students being very happy with either course and even some students who are disappointed with either course. If the reason for their disappointment is ours (let's say an instructor who has to work on his technique/energy/etc.), we work to remedy it. Usually, though, it comes down to the student. As an instructor, I can't know how seriously my students take at-home studying, or if they're even completely paying attention in my class, asking questions when they have them. Whether you take the live course or study on your own depends largely on your needs. I studied at home with these books and the Audio Osmosis CDs, but, then, I do very well studying on my own. Other students prefer the structure of the course and, especially, an instructor to explain things with diagrams on the board and real life examples. For them, regardless of the high quality of our materials, only the live course will do. I hope that helps!

I've heard great things about the EK Bio book, but I've heard nothing at all about the EK Organic Chem book. Do you cover all topics of OChem that are not likely to be found on the MCAT including H NMR, or just the highlights?

BlitzSleep, I'm a bit confused by your question. Did you mean "all topics of OChem that ARE LIKELY to be found..."? You wouldn't want us to cover every topic that is NOT likely to be on the MCAT, would you (I certainly wouldn't, but perhaps all of you aren't as lazy as I am)?

In any case, we do cover H NMR. If anything, our books err on the conservative side by including topics that could be on the test, though we would definitely not guarantee it. That is, as thin as our OChem book is, it has more information in it than you need, as well as flash cards to help you with memorization.

While we try to focus on what's most important, I wouldn't call our book a compilation of "highlights." Rather, it teaches you some basic [organic] chemistry that will serve you well as you are confronted on the test with things that, unless you're an organic chemist, you have no business seeing before in your life. That's what OChem on the MCAT is all about...assaulting you with information that seems completely foreign to you, and expecting you to find in it something familiar and fundamental, and to answer the question according to those basics. So our book gives you those tools and demands that you develop the confidence and clarity to use those tools no matter what frightening and foreign things with which you are confronted on the MCAT.

By the way...check out our books at a local bookstore and you'll see exactly what topics are covered. I wouldn't want you to just take my word for it. It's easy enough to get your hands on a copy of one of our books before you get your own.

Is the EK "complete study package" really a complete and thorough preparation for the MCAT? In other words, in terms of review material, is it all you need?

Yes, Caspid, absolutely. Granted, if I never learned Chemistry properly and am completely confused by the concept of electrons arranging in orbitals and shells, I might have to go back to my college Chem text for THAT sub-topic, but these books absolutely cover everything you need to review, as well as both explanations for things we should be expected to understand already AND some helpful background information.

I tell my students that after two thorough readings of our books, they should not read them cover-to-cover again, as it's not a good use of their time. By that point, you've seen everything you need to see twice and it's most efficient to focus from there forward on the most high-yield information, which is emphasized in the questions and the orange text.

So to recap, except in instances where you need something more basic to explain the background of a concept that's reviewed in our book (our instructor could do that for you if you're taking a live course, and this will probably be an issue only if you're very rusty or had a poor teacher when you first learned the science), you shouldn't need anything in addition to these books, and they will actually help you to keep your scope limited to what's actually going to be tested. What I tell my students is that what's in the books is not everything that COULD ever be on the test, but does cover at least 98% of what WILL be on the test, so it's in your best interest to master these books FIRST before moving on to anything additional, and that only to get the remaining esoteric information that might make the difference between a score in the high 30s versus one in the 40s.

To score in the 30s, you need no more than these books, and limiting yourself to them will keep you from getting burnt out and overwhelmed.

how many people actually buy the elite membership? i think im going to return mine too

Though XM Examkrackers has already responded to this, I want to give my two cents as well. As he said, our errata are small, annoying or distracting at worst, but a phenomenon that needs to be considered in its proper perspective. Our materials are extremely good and our company very honest about it, always willing to improve. The message, clarity and intelligence of our approach has remained essentially unchanged over the years, but still we work to make the materials easier to read and understand. If I found an error like, "W=ma" in Physics, I'd be pretty upset, but the errors are usually simple typos and won't affect your score/understanding. It would probably be better for our image if we never posted errata, but we do it because we're concerned more with your peace of mind and, ultimately, your understanding/score.

I hope this helps. Let me know if any concern on this matter remains unresolved.

Specifically, the Orgo book has flash cards. Audio Osmosis is easy to repeat over and over, so that helps a lot with memorization. As for "long-term" memorization, I believe that comes with, even more than repetition, understanding, and I have yet to find a book/company that helps with understanding more than ours. Rote memorization WILL NOT get you a good score on the MCAT. Understanding and the ability to apply information you're required to know WILL. To that end, we have not only the orange text (that is MCAT-oriented rather than just a thorough science review), but also practice questions. The questions in our books are not just for practice, and not to be seen as equivalent to the questions in any practice test. Our questions are meant to be pretty comprehensive in both all the facts you should know and all the concepts/methods with which you should be familiar. Go through the explanations for those problems and know them inside and out, and you'll have memorized and learned all the relevant facts and techniques that you'll need for a good score on the MCAT, barring, of course, any special circumstances that might necessitate special help for you (I have to say this because we should be realistic and honest about ourselves. If, for example, I never learned Physics properly and am lost when reading the Physics review book, then I will need a tutor, while other students won't)

Thanks!

As an instructor, I always want my students coming in thinking they know everything and have nothing to learn from me. Then I can go beyond being someone who's just saying out loud the things they could have easily read in the book to be someone who picks their brain and makes sure they understand the pertinent topics from all important angles. There are very few parts of the MCAT where you are simply expected to know a list of things (limited to just a few lectures of Bio). Outside of that, you have to go beyond "knowing' to "understanding."

For example, I like to ask students if gravity is acting on my water bottle as it sits on my desk, and is pulling in a downward direction, why it doesn't fall. They say that there's a normal force that is equal and opposite. So I point out, then, that the F=ma formula they have memorized for Newton's second law applies for an object only if we're talking about a NET force, not for every individual force acting on that object. If, however, they come into my class not having thought about Newton's laws or the concept of a normal or net force in years, we'd have to start from the beginning with definitions and "make sure you know this and that" and wouldn't have as much time to really examine the meaning of the things we already know.

As in life, you'll get more out of our class the more you put into it. If you have me for your instructor, you can be sure I'm working my butt off to give you the best possible experience, to know everything I'm expected to know very well. If you're my student, I expect no less from you.

How many of you guys go poring through the errata of a textbook or review book for school? Do you really think those books are error free? If there are serious errors in the EK books (and trust me, I teach from those books, there are very few serious errors) you are most likely going to realize what they are from what you learned in class. None of these materials in these books are new. This is why all of these prep classes are "review". We're not here to teach you the material for the first time, we're just here to make sure you understand exactly the scope of what is on the MCAT.

Well even on the more "serious" errors, the books do correct themselves at some point (whether that be later in the text or in the explanations to answers). And that's exactly what EK is - not teaching, but review. For people that try and use it as teaching, though, they may find some of the errors problematic.

Though I like your companies materials, what I am upset about is that I called and asked about the new 101 passages book, and I was told its redone, and has been passages and etc...so I ordered it, and its the same thing as the previous one expect that they are now shorter tests with less passages, and more tests. It bothers me that I bought the books twice, and got the pretty much the same thing. Why would they tell me its different with new material, when its just rearranged?

Though I like your companies materials, what I am upset about is that I called and asked about the new 101 passages book, and I was told its redone, and has been passages and etc...so I ordered it, and its the same thing as the previous one expect that they are now shorter tests with less passages, and more tests. It bothers me that I bought the books twice, and got the pretty much the same thing. Why would they tell me its different with new material, when its just rearranged?

Sorry for that. The person you spoke to must have been mistaken. I was interested in the same thing, just as an instructor. The book is now more fitting for students trying to prepare for the length of the CBT VR section, but, as nice as it would be to have more VR passages from EK (and more pertinently, more explanations of answers from EK), that's not what the book is, though it provides as good preparation/instruction as ever. Sorry that you probably won't get all of your money back, whatever you decide to do with your book. Please help clear up this confusion for other students and I'd like to remind everyone that while the latest edition of the 101 VR Passages book doesn't have new passages/explanations, it is a very good study book for VR.

I just want to throw in my two cents...I took Organic Chemistry last year but I am over 2 years out from all the rest of my undergrad. I used this series of books and Audio Osmosis along with the AAMC exams and a few other bits, and it was an exceptional review of the material. I took the MCAT in July and scored a 38 S. I had taken the AAMC practice exams, and my first score prior to beginning content review with EK was a 24. So that's an increase of 14 points.

I REALLY REALLY needed a high score considering my undergrad GPA!!! Thank you, EK!

I think EK gets you in gear for understanding and manipulating concepts rather than just memorization, though it helped me with some of that too of course. See my post on how I used it, and hopefully it will help you get some ideas you can use too. *insert link here later tonight*

If you don't read my link, at least make sure you do the problems at the end of sections and chapters. Make sure you understand why each answer is correct. If you get it wrong, re-work the problem until you arrive at the correct answer. Do that with the AAMC exams also. Good luck!

I just want to throw in my two cents...I took Organic Chemistry last year but I am over 2 years out from all the rest of my undergrad. I used this series of books and Audio Osmosis along with the AAMC exams and a few other bits, and it was an exceptional review of the material. I took the MCAT in July and scored a 38 S. I had taken the AAMC practice exams, and my first score prior to beginning content review with EK was a 24. So that's an increase of 14 points.

I REALLY REALLY needed a high score considering my undergrad GPA!!! Thank you, EK!

I think EK gets you in gear for understanding and manipulating concepts rather than just memorization, though it helped me with some of that too of course. See my post on how I used it, and hopefully it will help you get some ideas you can use too. *insert link here later tonight*

If you don't read my link, at least make sure you do the problems at the end of sections and chapters. Make sure you understand why each answer is correct. If you get it wrong, re-work the problem until you arrive at the correct answer. Do that with the AAMC exams also. Good luck!

Wow, not only am I impressed with your score and the amount of hard work that surely went into your score increase, but also, you succinctly stated exactly how I want my students to use our/AAMC materials to get a good score. Congratulations and best of luck going forward!

How long has EK been around? Do you update your books?

Are there any tests within the books that can be taken in a timed manner?

Have been using audio osmosis, this looks like something else I should order.

What is included in the MCAT study package, are there full-length exams, etc? Do the books cover strategies or content?

How long has EK been around? Do you update your books?

Hi UW09,

Examkrackers has been around since 1997 and our books have become very highly regarded for the past 10 years or so. We do update our books incrementally, with another edition (8th) probably coming out in the next year or so.

Are there any tests within the books that can be taken in a timed manner?

Hi Lunkerpike,

There are 30 minute timed exams (3 passages and a few FSQ) for each chapter in each book. These are great at highlighting and testing your comprehension of the really tough topics in each chapter.

Have been using audio osmosis, this looks like something else I should order.

Hi Walleye,

If you look at the audio osmosis thread, we definitely suggest that you only use audio osmosis as a complement to the complete study package. I usually tell students I talk to that they should get the complete study package first, before audio osmosis or any of the 1001 books.

What is included in the MCAT study package, are there full-length exams, etc? Do the books cover strategies or content?

Hi andrew3077,

The study package comes with one full length exam, as well as 30 minute exams at the back of the book for each chapter.

The books cover both strategies and pretty much everything you need to know on the MCAT.

Dear SDN members,

Thank you for checking out Examkrackers, offering your great comments and opinions, asking good questions and giving us some excellent suggestions during test prep week!

If you have any further questions, feel free to reach us at 1-888-KRACKEM!

Have a good weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.