MCAT Examkrackers Audio Osmosis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

XM Examkrackers

Test Prep Exhibitor
Vendor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear SDN Members:

A simple look around the SDN forums will tell you how highly recommended Audio Osmosis is as a complement to the Examkrackers comprehensive course or self-study program.

Examkrackers MCAT Audio Osmosis with Jordan and Jon is complete preparation for the MCAT on 12 audio CDs: Every MCAT topic and formula thoroughly explained by two of the top MCAT experts in the country. Exciting and interesting delivery keeps you awake and assists recall. Intonation and sound effects clarify concepts in ways that can't be duplicated in books or even in the classroom. Convenient tracking allows easy repetition of important points. Designed to be used with or without Examkrackers MCAT Complete Study Package. As comprehensive as any MCAT prep course available. To listen to the complete sampler online, go to https://www.examkrackers.com/store/...38&PHPSESSID=cf16cfa27e7d4c40f78044dcee0df008.

Examkrackers will giving away one free audio osmosis set to one lucky member. Winners for each raffle will be drawn from among the members who post questions about the product or otherwise meaningfully contribute to the discussion.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Audio Osmosis.jpg
    Audio Osmosis.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 207
How often are these materials updated? For example, I understand that there is less and less Ochem on the MCAT and more genetics. Do the study materials reflect this?

Thanks!

Are there mp3 options available instead of CDs? Many netbooks do not have CD drives. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
whats the advantage of this CD as oppose to your books? is it for people who just hate reading?

How exactly is the material organized on the audio disc? Are subjects broken down into 'sub-sections' on separate tracks, and if so is there an average length to each track?

For anyone who has used this product in the past, would you recommend the product if one only had short increments of time to listen (10-15 minutes) to the disc at a time?

Thanks for the responses.

Also, does anyone have prior experience with Audiolearn disc? I'd appreciate learning about the differences, pro/cons of Audio Osmosis and other audio programs.

Are there mp3 options available instead of CDs? Many netbooks do not have CD drives. Thanks!
If you've got a regular desktop or laptop, windows media player or itunes will open & save in as an mp3, which you can then put on your ipod.

It's a good refresher when I'm stuck in traffic or for getting the big picture as you're reading the EK books.:thumbup:

How exactly is the material organized on the audio disc? Are subjects broken down into 'sub-sections' on separate tracks, and if so is there an average length to each track?

For anyone who has used this product in the past, would you recommend the product if one only had short increments of time to listen (10-15 minutes) to the disc at a time?

Thanks for the responses.
It's organized accordingly with the EK books. For example, I believe CH 1 of the EK bio is biochemistry & molec bio (correct me if I'm wrong), and audio osmosis will have separate sections for "enzymes" and "lipids" and whatnot.
The sections are about 1-2 mins each, and they're very general overviews of what the books cover. I wouldn't use them alone for the MCAT, but they're definitely good for the big picture & a quick refresher!

I think it's perfect to use if you have small bursts of free time, listening to them over and over again really helps solidify the information.

whats the advantage of this CD as oppose to your books? is it for people who just hate reading?

The CD is just a general overview that I feel is an additional supplement to the books. They are not even close to the material the books cover.

Of course, I'm not an EK promoter or anything, just giving in my 2 cents. I apologize if any of my information is incorrect.

It's organized accordingly with the EK books. For example, I believe CH 1 of the EK bio is biochemistry & molec bio (correct me if I'm wrong), and audio osmosis will have separate sections for "enzymes" and "lipids" and whatnot.
The sections are about 1-2 mins each, and they're very general overviews of what the books cover. I wouldn't use them alone for the MCAT, but they're definitely good for the big picture & a quick refresher!

I think it's perfect to use if you have small bursts of free time, listening to them over and over again really helps solidify the information.

The CD is just a general overview that I feel is an additional supplement to the books. They are not even close to the material the books cover.

Of course, I'm not an EK promoter or anything, just giving in my 2 cents. I apologize if any of my information is incorrect.

I've used both and would suggest them together. AO alone seems like it'd be a bit sparse but it works nicely as a sort of refresher/extra practice device. It's great for long car rides (e.g., long commutes to work) as the problems it gives are generally simple and meant to help you learn to work basic problems in your head w/o the need to write things down (and waste time). It's a good product but I'd definitely suggest the books to go along with it.

Are the cd's the only available format or is AO also available for downloading?

When was the audio written/recorded? Is the material as up to date as the ExamKracker's books?

Does anyone have any feedback about the quality of these CDs?

Thanks!

How often are these materials updated? For example, I understand that there is less and less Ochem on the MCAT and more genetics. Do the study materials reflect this?

Thanks!

Hi SalemK,

The frequency of Ochem on the MCAT is less, however, the amount of Ochem content that you have to understand is still the same. They have not gotten rid of any of the Ochem topics, nor have they added any significantly new genetics topics.

The study materials are geared to help you learn all of the content on the MCAT. The frequency of how often those topics come up does not affect what you have to understand.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you've got a regular desktop or laptop, windows media player or itunes will open & save in as an mp3, which you can then put on your ipod.

It's a good refresher when I'm stuck in traffic or for getting the big picture as you're reading the EK books.:thumbup:

What jiayo mentioned is what most people do. They just take the CDs and put them on their ipod. I think we are exploring the option of purchasing audio osmosis through itunes but it is not set up yet.

I think jiayo and apumic did a good job explaining audio osmosis.

Audio osmosis covers everything that you will need for the MCAT, but I don't recommend using them exclusively for MCAT preparation because sometimes you do need to see the diagrams in print and work out practice problems, which Audio Osmosis does not offer. I would definitely use Audio Osmosis as a study tool to complement the books. They work great in helping you reinforce the information that you have learned from the books.

I think you can use these pretty much whenever you have some spare time to listen and concentrate on what is covered. I have heard from some people that they can't listen to them while driving because they get caught up and forget to pay attention to driving so that isn't good. The other thing that I have heard from students is that some people will actually sit down while listening to the CDs and take notes while listening, which I think is another great way of studying.

Are the cd's the only available format or is AO also available for downloading?

Currently they are only available as CDs.

When was the audio written/recorded? Is the material as up to date as the ExamKracker's books?

There haven't been any updates to audio osmosis and in terms of content, the MCAT is still really testing the same thing and I don't think many people need help on how to use a computer or clicking on answers, especially when it is audio only.

Does anyone have any feedback about the quality of these CDs?

Thanks!

Hi FuturaDocta,

Hopefully other people will chime in and give their opinions on audio osmosis.

As for my opinion, I think some people really like the style of audio osmosis and the corny jokes and such and some people really don't like it. I think audio osmosis is sort of set up like Car Talk on NPR and some people love that show and some people really can't stand it. Either way, audio osmosis should be used as a supplement and not as the sole source of studying for the MCAT.

I have Audio Osmosis, I must say, there are a couple hilarious puns. My favorite is probably when they're explaining translation, the goofy guy is like "Hey, isn't there a G-spot involved?" and the other guy was like "No, there's an E-site, P-site, and A-site" and the goofy guy says "Oohhh, that's why I could never find it, it doesn't exist!" Good thing I wasn't in the library when I heard that because I bursted out laughing.

The only con I can think of is when they are talking about physics, some of it flies over my head from the way they talk about it and how fast they talk about it.

I have Audio Osmosis, I must say, there are a couple hilarious puns. My favorite is probably when they're explaining translation, the goofy guy is like "Hey, isn't there a G-spot involved?" and the other guy was like "No, there's an E-site, P-site, and A-site" and the goofy guy says "Oohhh, that's why I could never find it, it doesn't exist!" Good thing I wasn't in the library when I heard that because I bursted out laughing.

The only con I can think of is when they are talking about physics, some of it flies over my head from the way they talk about it and how fast they talk about it.

OMG! I have a corky sense of humor anyway. :laugh:

From what I understand, AO is intended and best used as a supplement to the complete study package. Reading the printed material before the lecture will aid understanding. Also, parts of some audio lectures can be fast, but you can always pause/rewind. I find that pausing after the example questions or complex statements gives me time to contemplate and fully understand what I just heard.

Wow, thanks to a number of you for such helpful responses. You make my job a lot easier. As an Examkrackers instructor and someone who used AO and the comprehensive set to prepare for the MCAT, I pretty much agree with all the happy users above, as well as my fellow EK member, XM Examkrackers.

I'll say this in addition/clarification about the AO CDs. They go quickly, but that's on purpose. I can't go that fast when I teach, but with CDs, you can just keep pressing "last track" until you get it down. That's what I'd recommend you do...keep listening to the CDs and following along in your book, pausing and repeating, until it makes sense to you. After that, just listen to the CDs through and through to reinforce, as memorization requires repetition.

As for the jokes, my friends would hear me play those CDs in my car and would make fun of me and Jordan and Jon (the guys who give the lectures on the CDs). Keep in mind a couple things. They're not taking this act on the road for a comedy tour. The point is to keep things light enough that you can listen to the CDs for hours without your brains turning to mush. Also, if you stop listening because you don't like their humor, you'll miss how much great information and mnemonics they put into all those gags. These CDs are so good (and, yes, still current) that our instructors use them to improve THEIR understanding, and these are people who've already scored in the 30s on their MCAT!!

In terms of time and money, this has got to be the most efficient and best value of any MCAT prep material I've seen.

Is the audio interactive such that it asks you to solve problems or is it as simple as being able to listen to it if your going on a long trip?

Is the audio interactive such that it asks you to solve problems or is it as simple as being able to listen to it if your going on a long trip?

The latter. It will have questions posed to you for you to think about, but not with the purpose of making it a quiz, and not with pauses for your contemplation. It is essentially a bunch of lectures broken into topics and subtopics.

Two questions: Since everyone keeps saying about how genetics is more on the MCATs, is the AO built to help teach that?

Also, Will this distract you from driving haha? Don't want an accident =)

Two questions: Since everyone keeps saying about how genetics is more on the MCATs, is the AO built to help teach that?

The frequency of Ochem on the MCAT is less, however, the amount of Ochem content that you have to understand is still the same. They have not gotten rid of any of the Ochem topics, nor have they added any significantly new genetics topics.

The study materials are geared to help you learn all of the content on the MCAT. The frequency of how often those topics come up does not affect what you have to understand.

Also, Will this distract you from driving haha? Don't want an accident =)

Yeah, I'm heard from some students that say that they can't listen to the CDs while driving because it is too distracting. However, some students are perfectly fine doing both. I guess it's different with everybody.

Dear SDN members,

Thank you for checking out Examkrackers, offering your great comments and opinions, asking good questions and giving us some excellent suggestions during test prep week!

If you have any further questions, feel free to reach us at 1-888-KRACKEM!

Have a good weekend!

How effective has it been found to use this audio review? Is it recommended to be used in conjunction with the Examcracker course review, or can it be used with something different such as KAPLAN review?

Status
Not open for further replies.