Exam for State of California Fluoroscopy Operator and Supervisor Permit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Disciple

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the relative difficulty of this exam? I downloaded the syllabus/study materials today and plan to take the exam next Thursday (in six days).

Should I reschedule and take more time to study?

Members don't see this ad.

Disciple said:
Can anyone tell me the relative difficulty of this exam? I downloaded the syllabus/study materials today and plan to take the exam next Thursday (in six days).

I didn't take the exam, but one of my friends took it and said it was really easy.

You need more than 6 days to study. Its not easy by any means. The material is very complex and fluoro techs get a year of training before taking such a test. I just took it and past on the first try. E-mail me for more info. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Disciple said:

Did you take the exam?
I am taking it next week.
Was the syllabus enough to prepare?
Please let me know.

thanks.

pmr/pain said:
You need more than 6 days to study. Its not easy by any means. The material is very complex and fluoro techs get a year of training before taking such a test. I just took it and past on the first try. E-mail me for more info. :)

I am going to take the exam soon. Can you share any tips with me?

Is this exam required by physicians operating C-arm equipment in their office?

I spoke with the Dept of public health regarding this issue. And according to my state, the operation of fluoro falls within the clinical training/competency of our training as Pain Med physicians (and dentists, chiros, etc). Obviously, we cannot let medical assistance, and such, operate these devices without the proper training.

Are the board members getting certified for state specific-requirements, or just to show definative competency in fluoroscopy and xray related injuries? :p

Stim4u

IRNEURO said:
Did you take the exam?
I am taking it next week.
Was the syllabus enough to prepare?
Please let me know.

thanks.

Sorry,

Guess this is late.

The syllabus is enough to prepare, but there is a certain amount of detail in some of the questions, so take time to memorize. There are only a few off the wall questions.
The calculations do not require a calculator (simple arithmetic), but you need to have the formulas, definitions and units memorized.

Don't know if I passed yet, but will find out soon.

Good Luck.

stim4u said:
Is this exam required by physicians operating C-arm equipment in their office?

I spoke with the Dept of public health regarding this issue. And according to my state, the operation of fluoro falls within the clinical training/competency of our training as Pain Med physicians (and dentists, chiros, etc). Obviously, we cannot let medical assistance, and such, operate these devices without the proper training.

Are the board members getting certified for state specific-requirements, or just to show definative competency in fluoroscopy and xray related injuries? :p

Stim4u

Hmmmm....

All I can say is that every interventional pain attending and fellow that I have spoken with who practices in California has the Fluoro Operator and Supervisor Permit.

Disciple said:
Hmmmm....

All I can say is that every interventional pain attending and fellow that I have spoken with who practices in California has the Fluoro Operator and Supervisor Permit.

Question: If a physician who has his flouro operator/supervisor permit is training another MD on injections is it true that the trainee is covered under the proctor? does the trainee have to have the permit to be able to touch the C-arm and/or patient?

wonthurtabit1 said:
Question: Does the trainee have to have the permit to be able to touch the C-arm and/or patient?

I would say so, though I don't know for sure. The way the regulations are written make it sound like the only ones allowed to touch the C-arm are a qualified physician (permit) and/or a qualified tech (permit) under supervision of a qualified physician.

Reactions: 1 user
Disciple said:
I would say so, though I don't know for sure. The way the regulations are written make it sound like the only ones allowed to touch the C-arm are a qualified physician (permit) and/or a qualified tech (permit) under supervision of a qualified physician.

s 30463 flouro permits

A flouroscopy supervisor and operator permit issed by the dept shall be required of any licentiate of the healing arts who does one or more of the following:

a. actuates or energizes flouro equip
b. directly controls radiation exposure to the patient during flouro proecedures
c. supervises one or more persons who hold radiologic tech flouro permits pursuant to section 30451

There must be a provision for trainees :eek:

Can anyone please email me a copy of the study guide or where I can access it? I am planning on taking the exam in the next 5 months.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have anymore insight into what is on the test for the S&O Fluoro Exam? I am not a radiologist and half the crap in the syllabus is greek to me. Any words of wisdom???? Thanks much.

Question: If a physician who has his flouro operator/supervisor permit is training another MD on injections is it true that the trainee is covered under the proctor? does the trainee have to have the permit to be able to touch the C-arm and/or patient?

I think it's every doc - even trainees - cuz we have to take the exam as pain fellows.

axm397.... did you take the exam? Any areas on the manual that should be concentrated on more than others (i.e. text chapters vs. Appendixs)? Are there many equations on the exam? Can you give me an idea of what it is like? Lot of this stuff in the manual is foreign to me as a non-radiologist. Thanks!

I'm studying for this exam right now, and I'm curious about something.

Is there a formula for relating mA + kVp + time to x-ray production and/or patient dose? For example, if a test question says your fluoro puts out 5 rads/min, how exactly do they know that? Is this something experimentally determined/calibrated or can it be empirically derived?

A quick google search turned this up:

http://www.hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q3132.html

which suggests there is no formula. You have to use a dosimeter.

It says something about tables relating x-ray exposure to kvp/ma at 12 inches. Are there any important exposure numbers I should memorize with respect to mobile fluoroscopy for neuraxial procedures?

I founf two syllabi, Radiography Radiation Protection, as well as Fluoroscopy Radiation protection. Is it necessary to memorize both?

Anyone have a list of questions? I heard these might exist.

I founf two syllabi, Radiography Radiation Protection, as well as Fluoroscopy Radiation protection. Is it necessary to memorize both?

Anyone have a list of questions? I heard these might exist.

Could you please tell me where you found those syllabi and how much they cost? Also any info you have on questions would be appreciated thanks.

I've heard that you have to study both of the syllabi. They're free and can be downloaded online. Just search for them...

I'm graduating as a Rad. Tech in a few months in NC and and would love to move to CA. Does anyone happen to know the steps I need to take to obtaina CA license and flouro permit? Do I have to take an extra course for the flouro or just an exam?
I have also heard once I take the ARRT registry I can simply apply for a CA license, is this true?

Do you have any last minute advice for someone taking this test? I take it tomorrow... been studying this week. Thanks.//cjw

The fluoro syllabus is quite detailed! So are the exam questions. Don't take it lightly... G'luck!

How techincal do they get on the exam regarding QA/QC? There's a whole appendix devoted to what aspects of the system get tested when, including acceptable paramters.

Do they seem to care about this or more of what is in the prose of the syllabus?

Thanks.

Sorry, this is off-topic. Is there anyone here I could PM for more info about the general pain market in CA? I'm on the east cost now, starting fellowship in July, but interested in moving out west afterwards. Just trying to get some ideas of what it's like out there. Thanks

As a physician, If you work in ASC or hospital where there's a licensed x-ray tech operating fluoro, do you still have to have a license?

I would take a review course. they have a 6 week 2000$ review course, but I will teach you everything in 6 hours for 500$. Just PM me. :laugh:

What's the minimum amount of time it takes for a fellow to prepare and comfortably pass the exam? Is one week enough?

also what's the process after you submit the Permit form? how long does it take to get an exam date? where do you take the exam? in california? or at a national testing center? how long does it take to find out the result and actually get the permit?

Hi, I've just sent out my application for my CRT in state of California.
However, I know that having the Fluoro permit as a tech is a must. I am from South Florida, and not even sure if they have a testing center here for the exam. Would anyone know if there is?

How much preparation should one take for it, and is it relatively harder than the ARRT??

Please, your help is greatly needed! :confused:

Thanks.

Hey, would you be able to spare me with some detail on the Fluoro exam?. :)
I'm completely lost! Is it hard? Would you say it's easier or harder than the ARRT?
How long would you recommend studying for the material? Any specific or preference on study guides? Last one... lol! Is there a window date after becoming certified by the state, to take the exam? Thank you so much!

Hey, would you be able to spare me with some detail on the Fluoro exam?. :)
I'm completely lost! Is it hard? Would you say it's easier or harder than the ARRT?
How long would you recommend studying for the material? Any specific or preference on study guides? Last one... lol! Is there a window date after becoming certified by the state, to take the exam? Thank you so much!

I'm a recent rad tech grad and I passed my California Fluoro exam from studying my class notes and from the FluoroReview.com site. My class notes was useful but the review site helped me study sections I would otherwise miss. just my 2 cents.

Hello, I have some questions about the fluoro exam. I was trying to take a online fluoro class in Cali but that fell through. I am from Indiana, so this is all new to me. How many questions were on the test? Do you know where I can find info on dates/time/ location of the fluoro test? Thanks so much

I was also told today that the state is reviewing some schools and such and that you can only take the test if you have taken a fluoro class. So confusing. Does anyone know anything about this?!?!? HELP

I was also told today that the state is reviewing some schools and such and that you can only take the test if you have taken a fluoro class. So confusing. Does anyone know anything about this?!?!? HELP

Ok, I just passed the ARRT here in New Mexico and have been looking into working in Cali. I talked with someone in the Cali. Radiologic Health Branch (RHB) and they did confirm they do an extra fluoro class in Cali. She did say you can send both forms 8200 and 8218 at the same time (same envelope) along with school transripts along with a resume telling why you feel your class/program fulfills cali requirments at which point it goes in front of a committee for review.. they decide.

The part they will be looking for is that area where you shoot phantoms for 15 hours or more and do experients on Pt dose/ occupational dose and other stuff. This requires live fluroro... hence you can't do this online. I did contact the guy running fluoro review.com which has a study guide for the exam part of it and he confirmed the best route is to take the fluoro class in Cali.. A few colleges that have rad programs are: In Southern California, Orange Coast College (OCC) and Long Beach City College (LBCC) have a Radiology Program.

PM me if you want more details on contacts. So yeah, its like you have to crash in on one component of their rad program... and if there are waiting lists in Cali like there is in NM then this gets even worse. But figure on taking a full term to do this meaning another 3 months or so of schooling.

Ok, I just passed the ARRT here in New Mexico and have been looking into working in Cali. I talked with someone in the Cali. Radiologic Health Branch (RHB) and they did confirm they do an extra fluoro class in Cali. She did say you can send both forms 8200 and 8218 at the same time (same envelope) along with school transripts along with a resume telling why you feel your class/program fulfills cali requirments at which point it goes in front of a committee for review.. they decide.

The part they will be looking for is that area where you shoot phantoms for 15 hours or more and do experients on Pt dose/ occupational dose and other stuff. This requires live fluroro... hence you can't do this online. I did contact the guy running fluoro review.com which has a study guide for the exam part of it and he confirmed the best route is to take the fluoro class in Cali.. A few colleges that have rad programs are: In Southern California, Orange Coast College (OCC) and Long Beach City College (LBCC) have a Radiology Program.

PM me if you want more details on contacts. So yeah, its like you have to crash in on one component of their rad program... and if there are waiting lists in Cali like there is in NM then this gets even worse. But figure on taking a full term to do this meaning another 3 months or so of schooling.

Hello, So you do have to take a fluoro class then? I did find some schools that have radiology/fluoro classes in california. My question is will they just let you sit in for just the fluoro class? I wonder how long it will take for the committee to decide if you need a fluoro class or not. So is it set in stone that you must take the class before you take the test? Sorry I am new to this and do not know how to "PM" someone.

Hello, So you do have to take a fluoro class then? I did find some schools that have radiology/fluoro classes in california. My question is will they just let you sit in for just the fluoro class? I wonder how long it will take for the committee to decide if you need a fluoro class or not. So is it set in stone that you must take the class before you take the test? Sorry I am new to this and do not know how to "PM" someone.

I just passed my ARRT so I am still waiting on my license and diploma.. So I have not tried sending in applications with resume and transcripts. The people at fluororeview.com basically said that the class will probably have to be taken. I'm going to call another contact tomorrow (from one of the schools..).. If i get a response I will update here.

Last edited:
After speaking to six different directors for Rad programs in the State of Calif. I am finding that it is not easy for an out of state student to pick up the needed fluoro class. Many programs are dropping the fluoro program or will not except out of state students. One director told me their class is under review and may not be offered anymore. Your best bet is to summit your 8200 and 8218 applications and resume and transcripts and tell them everything you covered in diadatic and clinical fluoro.. send that to the RHB in one envelope (both apps with fees and copy of ARRT and diploma) to Cali and hope the committee excepts it. Otherewise, all I can say is call around the different colleges and see if one of the directors will cut you in. It appears that most of the directors in Calif are more then a little upset with the whole fluoro process. I just had someone call me today directly from the RHB and they do not feel there is not much of an issue. But according to the directors, there is. So at the very least, there is a communication breakdown from the state government and the institutions in the state.

Again, put everything in your resume when you summit that and the transcripts. Because if they don't except that, its gets ugly and the path is fuzzy and not clear.

I have also been implying on the Calif. job market and like most places, the openings for entry level Rad Technoligists is way down. One director said that last year almost all their students found jobs in the first three months. This year, less then half have placed after three months. And if its like here in Albuquerque, most of those probably got placed while in clinicals in student tech positions.

Last edited:
Kaiser Permanente School of Allied Health Sciences offers a one week flouroscopy class for 400.00. After completing the class you will be able to challenge the ARRT test. when you get the certificate of completion It takes about 6 weeks after submitting your application and fee's to get a test date. I am not sure if Kaiser offers classes in your area. I took the class in Richmond California

I read that Kaiser does not offer you a place to do your experiments for the fluoro class. So if you are a out of town person coming to take the Fluoro test where do you do experiments?

3 years later...
Any new thoughts on preparation for this exam?
Looking at Fellowships in CA and unsure how to prepare for this should I choose to go out west.
Also any thoughts on how hard this exam really is

thanks

bump for this, can anyone help i need to take the supervisor exam in the next 2 weeks, any tips please

bump for this, can anyone help i need to take the supervisor exam in the next 2 weeks, any tips please

I would take at least a month. Its not as easy as people make it out to be. Syllabus is adequate.

well due to procrastinating and work, ive got 2 weeks

time to cram

hardest freaking thing is trying to schedule it, theres so many diff sites, arrt, cdph something, and now pearsons, wtf

Just took this test before I started my interventional cardiology fellowship. It's not bad but you need to study at least a little. More importantly, you need to budget time to take the test and get your results which takes about 4 weeks. Your lab will need your license number before you can cath, cut, stent, or do whatever it is you do. However, you can call about two weeks after and then use the website license look up to see what your number is.

There is a syllabus online which is comprehensive but it also has an appendix which is just as long. You need to read the appendix too since there is rand-o stuff in there about visual acuity and Pb thickness for aprons, etc (is on the exam). I think if you read the syllabus and appendix twice and make sure you memorize the details about stuff like how much exposure you can have, you should be okay. But - I tend to over study stuff so once may be enough. Just don't blow it off. The test itself was quick with only a few curve balls. I passed but they dont send you a score report so I have no idea if I just scraped by or did well. Good luck.

I think this just about says it all, from page iv of the syllabus (beginning):

NOTE: This syllabus contains over 62,000 words, 9,500 sentences. and 4,700 paragraphs. The
word length is 5 letters and the average sentence length is 7 words. The estimated readability is 12 14
grade level. Estimated time required to prepare for the examination is 6 - 8 hours.