ERAS 'Publications' Listing FAQ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've had invited manuscripts rejected before. It goes in the research section.

Agree w/gutonc here. I just rejected an invited review in a journal that I'm a reviewer for. There are no guarantees with papers...

Members don't see this ad.

I have 2 questions:
1) If you have the same project (same title), was accepted first for poster at national meeting then after couple of months was published as a full article (peer reviewed) in journal. Can I add this both poster presentation + peer reviewed article? Because I took 2 years off for research, I have 4-5 projects like this (poster + full publications at peer reviewed journals having the same title).

2) ERAS now has a specific category for book chapters. I have 3 chapters proofed but the book will be published in 2017. ERAS ask for the date of the book publication. Can I enter 2017 or it's better to enter N/A?

I have 2 questions:
1) If you have the same project (same title), was accepted first for poster at national meeting then after couple of months was published as a full article (peer reviewed) in journal. Can I add this both poster presentation + peer reviewed article? Because I took 2 years off for research, I have 4-5 projects like this (poster + full publications at peer reviewed journals having the same title).
If you have 5 first author pubs, nobody will care about your posters. You can put them in both places but it's padding. That said...everybody does it.

2) ERAS now has a specific category for book chapters. I have 3 chapters proofed but the book will be published in 2017. ERAS ask for the date of the book publication. Can I enter 2017 or it's better to enter N/A?
I personally think this should go in whatever section there is for unpublished/in preparation/other than published/whatever they're calling it this year. I've had both an invited review and a book chapter nuked before so don't cite your chickens before they're published.

I have two questions that I was hoping you could help me with. I have a number of peer-reviewed publications in good journals from my 3 years as a research fellow.

1) Over this time, I presented one poster and two oral presentations about my best project (now published) over a two year period, as it continued to evolved. They were all at international meetings and I won an award for one of the oral presentations. Should I include all of these in ERAS or is it padding? Maybe I should only include the presentation for which I won an award.

2) I presented a few clinical cases during my time as well. One was at my institute's grand rounds, and 3 others were at well know retina meetings in front of a hundred people or so. Should I include these as "oral presentations"?

I have a question that's pretty specific to the engineering world.

Many of our "publications" in some engineering fields are peer-reviewed conference papers. These are anywhere from 4-10 pages, peer-reviewed, some are indexed on Pubmed while others are not, and if your paper is accepted you then present the work at the conference. Should these be listed in the "peer-reviewed journal article" section? Many times in the computer science/engineering/robotics world these conference papers (mostly from IEEE conferences) are referenced more than journal articles.

n=1. I wasn't sure what to do about this either, but I spoke to my dean prior to submitting my ERAS documentation and he had me place it under peer-reviewed publications. I put just as much work into my engineering papers as my biology/medical papers, and to be honest some of them probably underwent more peer review than some of my fairly good medical journal publications. Just don't double dip, such as put conference paper down and then put it under oral presentation too as I am sure you probably presented most of your papers. Also, if anyone asks, just briefly explain the world of engineering publications to them. I went on double digit interviews and not a single person questioned the authenticity of my electrical engineering papers. I did, however, get positive feedback from people about these publications (most often someone with prior experience in EE or computer science).

Last edited:
I have little to no research experience and I'm applying to a competitive surgical sub-specialty. I was wondering does a medical school "research day" poster presentation really hold weight when it comes to applying for residency?
I'm prepping to do 2-3 posters at my medical school research day and just wondering is it really worth it or not?

I have little to no research experience and I'm applying to a competitive surgical sub-specialty. I was wondering does a medical school "research day" poster presentation really hold weight when it comes to applying for residency?
I'm prepping to do 2-3 posters at my medical school research day and just wondering is it really worth it or not?

If you have nothing else, then at least this is something. Residencies won't place as much on an internal med school poster presentation as a national meeting presentation, though.

Reactions: 1 user

As others have said, use what you've got--it's better than nothing. That being said, I have to wonder why, if you supposedly have enough material to make 2-3 posters at a small event (assuming they are on the same or similar projects), you couldn't roll that into one big poster and take it to a larger event.

As others have said, use what you've got--it's better than nothing. That being said, I have to wonder why, if you supposedly have enough material to make 2-3 posters at a small event (assuming they are on the same or similar projects), you couldn't roll that into one big poster and take it to a larger event.

I am submitting all of them to larger events but the larger events don't occur till 2016 after ERAS.

Hi,
I presented a poster which got my name in it of course, but it was for school of pharmacy.
can I list it in my eras application for residency as research work?
Thank you.

I made a surgical technique video that I presented at a national conference and now the video is published on the society's website. Where is the best place for this to be listed, just as a poster presentation? Or can it fall under a publication as it was peer reviewed and is now available online?

Where do you all think that science articles written for a college magazine would go? They were "peer-reviewed" in that not all submissions were accepted, you had to submit an article idea first, then it went through several layers of edits/revisions before final decision to publish or not. Thanks! I would like to include these as I did several of them and spent a lot of time working on them.

Last edited:
What section would you suggest I put them under?
This would be an extreme stretch of the definition of peer review.

It is a common understanding that peer reviewed publication indicates a work published in a scientific journal, not a college magazine.

Last edited:
Hi, I am applying for fellowship, and back in undergrad I worked on an engineering project for an entire yr...would that be relevant to put in the research section or that not relevant anymore? I also did a formal presentation to faculty and peers in a lecture hall, but maybe still should be just in research section 1x if at all. Let me know, thanks!

What section would you suggest I put them under?

Probably just list all 3 articles in one entry under the activities section. Your application will get laughed off the table if you put it under anything labeled "peer reviewed."

In general, you want to limit your college-level entries to the really really important stuff. Even then, most residencies won't care. They barely care about med school activities.

Seen mixed opinions on this so wanted to get some opinions. Let's say you submit an abstract to a conference and it gets accepted (and published in a specialty relevant journal with PMID), then the poster or oral presentation is done, and then eventually you publish a full manuscript. Do you list all three? Why or why not? Thanks!

Seen mixed opinions on this so wanted to get some opinions. Let's say you submit an abstract to a conference and it gets accepted (and published in a specialty relevant journal with PMID), then the poster or oral presentation is done, and then eventually you publish a full manuscript. Do you list all three? Why or why not? Thanks!

In general, just the manuscript. It looks dumb (and desperate) to have three publications with the same title listed on ERAS. However, if the title changed somewhere along the way, I'd say list each one (no one would know).

Hello everyone, I have an abstract that I presented as a poster at two events and now I submitted a manuscript for publication on the same project. Can I mention it as two posters under poster presentations section and one submitted article under peer reviewed articles other than published?

So I am currently helping write a paper for publication which will also involve a poster which will have my name on it. The paper will likely not be published by the time interviews start, so do I put anything about the paper in the publications tab of my application, or just the info regarding the poster?

Guys, how do you register if you are peer reviewer for a scientific journal on myERAS? Volunteer work experience?

I am having some issues putting in a journal article in ERAS. I published a case report in SAGE Open Medical Case Reports. It is peer-reviewed online journal. Do I add it under "Peer Reviewed Journal Articles" or "Peer Reviewed Online Publication"?

Here is an example citation (not mine):

Choudhury, Shahana A., and Vernat Exil. "Rheumatic heart disease in Tennessee: An overlooked diagnosis." SAGE Open Medical Case Reports 2 (2014): 2050313X14527589.

at the end of 6 years of our medical school,, we write a thesis on a research, submit a book/thesis to the university records and give an oral perestation to the university heads on it. then we are graded out of 10. does this qualify as research publication/research experience?

I am having some issues putting in a journal article in ERAS. I published a case report in SAGE Open Medical Case Reports. It is peer-reviewed online journal. Do I add it under "Peer Reviewed Journal Articles" or "Peer Reviewed Online Publication"?

Here is an example citation (not mine):

Choudhury, Shahana A., and Vernat Exil. "Rheumatic heart disease in Tennessee: An overlooked diagnosis." SAGE Open Medical Case Reports 2 (2014): 2050313X14527589.
Peer reviewed online publication.

at the end of 6 years of our medical school,, we write a thesis on a research, submit a book/thesis to the university records and give an oral perestation to the university heads on it. then we are graded out of 10. does this qualify as research publication/research experience?
Yes. It's a research experience.

Yes. It's a research experience.
but my thesis was published , albeit not in a journal. Its in the university records. cant it pass as "oral presentation" or "other articles" in the sub-fields of publications??

but my thesis was published , albeit not in a journal. Its in the university records. cant it pass as "oral presentation" or "other articles" in the sub-fields of publications??
Sure...whatever...pick one. I promise you that nobody (seriously, nobody but you and your grandma) cares about it though.

Could anybody advise me on where should I include my abstracts that are published in the abstract book of National Seminars. Do they go under peer reviewed abstracts/articles.

I researched and compiled two informational appendices that are published in the July/Aug 2013 issue of "Current Problems in Cancer." Here's a PDF of the title page, which shows my name on it: http://www.cpcancer.com/article/S0147-0272(13)00078-0/pdf (Hopefully, the link works.)

However, my name isn't listed as an author for any of the individual articles within that journal issue, so I don't have a PMID or anything.

Anybody know how I might document this in ERAS? It's all I got! Thanks! :highfive:

Couple of questions for publication semantics.

1) I wrote a textbook chapter over a year ago that was accepted, but the book itself is still being compiled for release in late 2015/early 2016. As such, it is not technically published- but there is no option that I can find for a book chapter that is accepted but not published. Should this just be left off entirely?

2) I am working on a case series that will be submitted soon- but likely after I submit my ERAS application. Should I include anything about this under research experience? I am leaning towards no, as I have a couple of legitimate basic science research experiences and writing a case series is a stretch as "research" but would love confirmation that this is the correct approach.

3) Finally, as a more general question, when and how is the best way to update programs with new information regarding publishing after initial submission of your ERAS form? Should this strictly be done when coming for an interview (ie, asked to have more information included in your file before you arrive), or is notifying all programs of updates acceptable? Along those lines, what would be considered "important enough" to warrant an update to programs?

Thanks!

Guys i might be asking a stupid q so I apologize if thats the case but i dont see how we're supposed to designate in press vs accepted vs submitted on eras...when i click view my cv it just says publised for everything. i read the user manual and there was nothing

I wrote an article that was published on the medical student blog In-training (http://in-training.org/). Following this, I was told that Student Doctor Network wanted to post it on this site because of how popular it was on In-training. THEN, the PA medical society (http://www.pamedsoc.org/) found the article and asked if they could publish it as well (I go to school in PA). At this point I started to understand how J.K. Rowling felt after writing Harry Potter.. I kid I kid. I changed the article around a bit for their website for the hell of it.

Anyway, I don't want to "pad" my CV by listing 3 online publications because two of the three are the same article..however, depending on what you guys say, I might :). My thought would be to list the original on IN-training but honestly, it was pretty cool to be asked if SDN could publish it. Not sure what to do! Help please! :D

Good luck to everyone applying in 2 weeks!

Two questions, any thoughts appreciated:

1) Earlier in this thread, people have suggested that journal manuscripts which received a decision of 'revision' should still be classified as 'submitted' on ERAS. If this is true, then what would qualify as "provisional acceptance?" It's provisional upon approval of the revisions being made to the editor's liking, right? Anyone could submit a manuscript that would be immediately rejected, or even declined a peer review? I'm in this situation and tentatively planning on listing it as "provisionally accepted" unless someone has a convincing perspective.

2) I have an older project that was published in a peer reviewed journal for undergraduate primary investigators. However, it is indexed on MEDLINE and has a pubmed ID. Is this kosher for ERAS peer reviewed publications, or is the undergraduate thing a problem?

Thanks for your thoughts

Last edited:
If I have a couple articles/pieces in well-respected online blogs/magazines (not related to the technical aspects of medicine), do these count as publications? If so, would they fall "other articles" or "non peer reviewed online publication"?
Thank you!

Couple of questions for publication semantics.

1) I wrote a textbook chapter over a year ago that was accepted, but the book itself is still being compiled for release in late 2015/early 2016. As such, it is not technically published- but there is no option that I can find for a book chapter that is accepted but not published. Should this just be left off entirely?

2) I am working on a case series that will be submitted soon- but likely after I submit my ERAS application. Should I include anything about this under research experience? I am leaning towards no, as I have a couple of legitimate basic science research experiences and writing a case series is a stretch as "research" but would love confirmation that this is the correct approach.

3) Finally, as a more general question, when and how is the best way to update programs with new information regarding publishing after initial submission of your ERAS form? Should this strictly be done when coming for an interview (ie, asked to have more information included in your file before you arrive), or is notifying all programs of updates acceptable? Along those lines, what would be considered "important enough" to warrant an update to programs?

Thanks!

Just wondering if anyone had any input on any of these questions. Thanks!

Just wondering if anyone had any input on any of these questions. Thanks!

I also wrote a book chapter for a textbook that is not yet published. At this point, the chapter has been reviewed by the editors and is currently in the hands of the publisher. I am personally going to list this as a peer reviewed book chapter mostly so that I can discuss it further during interviews.

I have a first author manuscript that has been submitted, but it was not accepted and is currently under revision. How should I list this?

Getting close to the deadline so naturally have a few questions:

1. One of the publications for which I'm a co-author on has a list of authors that exceeds the character limit for ERAS. I'm in the middle of the author list, should I list all the authors up until my name and do et al. or list all authors up until my name and jump to my PI's name at the end and submit it that way?

2. Another publication that I'm a co-author on is published as an epub ahead of print and therefore has no issue/volume/page yet. Can I just put N/A for those fields?

Peer reviewed online publication.

If you have a publication (not a case report) in a peer-reviewed open access/online journal that is also indexed in PubMed, should that still be considered an online publication? I was under the impression that it would count as a peer-reviewed journal article, but I also do not want to misrepresent anything on my application. The journal has volume and issue numbers, but obviously the "pages" would have to be listed as the e-page number. However, using the peer-reviewed online publication tab doesn't allow for any of that; aside from authors/publication title you can only put a date & URL (no PMID, etc).

Also, I am in a similar boat to the poster above with authors exceeding the space allotted; is it acceptable to just remove the middle initials (from everyone? only a few people?) in order to avoid using et al? I only need a few additional characters.

Finally, because I never saw a clear answer, if an abstract was accepted to an upcoming conference where I will be presenting a poster, and the abstract will be published in the associated journal, should I list this as a poster presentation with the date of the conference in the future rather than as an accepted abstract (should be understood that this is "accepted" and not yet completed, right?)? I believe that was the consensus, but there appeared to be differing opinions on this thread.

I submitted an abstract to a national conference, it was selected for oral presentation (which I delivered). The conference publishes all the abstracts in their journal (so I can supply volume #, but not PubMed ID).

Do I list this as "Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts" or "Oral Presentation"?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello everyone

I'm still an M1 so I have a long way to go yet but I would like to know if this qualifies as a 'publication' or not -

My PI presented a poster at a national conference where he placed himself as first author and me as second author. With this, a 'supplement' article/abstract was published. It is not the full length paper. My PI and a collaborator have listed this supplement as an 'article' on their researchgate profiles.

Does this qualify as a 'Peer reviewed Journal Article/Abstract' for ERAS purposes? Also, what about poster presentations/abstracts that were published at undergraduate research conferences - do they qualify as well? Really appreciate the advice.

• Posters that were presented by another member of your research team (i.e., not you) at a regional, national or international research conference, even if you were listed as one of the authors -- even if you were listed as first author -- should not be included here. A listing belongs here if you were the one who did the talking.

I was author (first and second) on multiple publications and to be published articles. However, after we submitted the abstracts and being accepted for oral presentations at multiple conferences, my partner presented them for logistic reasons.
Why I can't mention them at least in my CV (not ERAS)?! Even I am the one who prepared the powerpoint presentations. I want some credits for this.
A scientist suggested that we can under Oral Presentations/Poster presentations section put an asterisk and mention that I am an author, or I am the presenter.
Is that Ok?

Hello,

I am an author on a number of publications and research projects that are accepted as Oral or Poster presentations at different conferences. However, my partner presented them, not me.

Can I list these Oral and Poster presentations on my CV? Because I am an author and I contributed to the abstracts and power points before submission.

What is your opinion?

Thanks

Publications which are pubmed indexed but do not have volume/issue/ page number ..... Do we include them in peer reviewed online publication ?? And the URL must be the one to the journal or the one to pubmed ??

Articles which are ahead of print (epub currently) but shows up on pubmed, they also do not have volume/issue/ page number.... Do these articles also go under peer reviewed online publication ??

I'm listing a few research experiences from undergrad and I was curious as to how much these will be asked about during interviews. The projects were so long ago and my grasp of the material is so weak now that I won't believe I'd be able to talk extremely intelligently about my work without having studied up on it extensively. Will having a basic understanding of what was done be enough? or will we be "grilled" so to speak?

How technical should we/ can we be?
Very not. Most people reviewing your app and interviewing you won't have a clue (nor care) about the technical details of your research. And the ones who do (assuming you get an interview, and wind up meeting with them) will ask you.

Reactions: 1 user
What if your name was listed on several posters, but you personally were not there to present the poster? Is it still okay to list this or does it need to be poster presentations where I was personally present? Thanks!