EPPP practice test scores for those who passed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sounds like you're doing everything right. Keep working and your scores will probably pick up. :) Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just started studying so thought I'd commiserate with everyone. I got in the 50s percentile-wise on my first Psych Prep practice test, which I took before studying anything. Haven't taken another practice test since then, but I was approved for the online one so we'll see how that goes. Everyone is telling me that if you're reliably scoring within 65-70% on practice tests, you should be good to go. My main concern is that I'm not quite sure how to approach studying. I'm reading all of the chapters/study guides but I feel like I'm not retaining anything and it's just hurting my head. Some people have told me that going over practice tests is actually the best way to study. What frustrates me is a lot of the chapters I've been reading don't actually have the answers to some of the questions from the practice test that I took.

I just started studying so thought I'd commiserate with everyone. I got in the 50s percentile-wise on my first Psych Prep practice test, which I took before studying anything. Everyone is telling me that if you're reliably scoring within 65-70% on practice tests, you should be good to go. My concern is I'm not quite sure how to approach studying. I'm reading all of the chapters/study guides but I feel like I'm not retaining anything and it's just hurting my head. Some people have told me that going over practice tests is actually the best way to study. Any thoughts?

Starting my prep too, so we can commiserate via PM throughout the process. Getting my licensure paperwork together so I may not end up taking it til late this year though, just figured the last exam I will ever take is a good time to try and break my lifelong pattern of procrastination and frantic binge studying;)

I'd heard the same thing RE: tests, but I'll probably review the guides too just because I learn better that way based on historical data;) I have audio too, though I'm fortunate to only have about a 5 minute commute, so its really only useful for me on road trips. Haven't taken a practice test yet, but just from glancing through the materials I can tell I will VERY clearly have strengths and weaknesses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Starting my prep too, so we can commiserate via PM throughout the process. Getting my licensure paperwork together so I may not end up taking it til late this year though, just figured the last exam I will ever take is a good time to try and break my lifelong pattern of procrastination and frantic binge studying;)

I'd heard the same thing RE: tests, but I'll probably review the guides too just because I learn better that way based on historical data;) I have audio too, though I'm fortunate to only have about a 5 minute commute, so its really only useful for me on road trips. Haven't taken a practice test yet, but just from glancing through the materials I can tell I will VERY clearly have strengths and weaknesses.

Happy to have you as company, Ollie! :) I'm scheduled to take it in about six weeks. A lot of people, including my supervisor, recommended just scheduling it for that amount of time and then studying for a total of 40 hours.

Yeah, there were a few areas I was super strong in and then some... not at all strong. I think that the social psych questions are pretty ridiculous, and this is coming from someone who loves social psych.

The stats stuff I could have aced without studying in my first semester. Social was the one killing me too and it is definitely NOT something I love.

40 hours seems a little lighter than I was planning on, but I keep being told that most people wayyyyy overstudy. My boss told me he feels like people should lose "employment points" for every point over the minimum passing score that they get.

Yeah, I was told that the "sweet spot" is 40-60 hours. I was really strong at the behaviorism/learning ones, but then there were a few that tricked me because I didn't read carefully enough.

I just downloaded the $30 phone app after it was suggested earlier in this thread. It will be a much more productive way to kill time on my phone as opposed to, say, reading this forum. ;)

Hi All,
I have been lurking in the shadows of this forum and have found it to be helpful, so I decided to throw out a question myself. I have been studying (using the Academic Review online method) for a little more than 2 months. I have been able to dedicate between three to five days per week solely to studying anywhere between 3-5 hours of studying. I still feel like I have a lot of material to cover I/O, review Learning & Behavior Theory, Stats and Test Construction; however, here is my question. I am feeling like I can't really cram anymore material in my head (probably running out of steam), and have taken about 10 academic review (AR) practice tests with highest being 65% (once). My last 4 practice exams on AR have been solidly just over 60% and I can't seem to score higher. I also realized that AR grades the practice exams out of 225 instead of the 175 needed to pass the actual EPPP. I am wondering if I am well enough prepared and with a little more cramming could be ready to take the actual Exam in 2 weeks or so, or would I wait to take it in about 6 weeks so. My AR indicates I have dedicated 150+hours to studying, although I initially used AATBS hand-me down books for a month prior to starting the AR. Any input would be helpful for those who have taken the EPPP already. I don't really know where I stand, but based on the amount of questions I consistently get correct, it seems its to be 138-140, if its out of 175, I imagine I can pass with a slight margin?

Hi All,
I have been lurking in the shadows of this forum and have found it to be helpful, so I decided to throw out a question myself. I have been studying (using the Academic Review online method) for a little more than 2 months. I have been able to dedicate between three to five days per week solely to studying anywhere between 3-5 hours of studying. I still feel like I have a lot of material to cover I/O, review Learning & Behavior Theory, Stats and Test Construction; however, here is my question. I am feeling like I can't really cram anymore material in my head (probably running out of steam), and have taken about 10 academic review (AR) practice tests with highest being 65% (once). My last 4 practice exams on AR have been solidly just over 60% and I can't seem to score higher. I also realized that AR grades the practice exams out of 225 instead of the 175 needed to pass the actual EPPP. I am wondering if I am well enough prepared and with a little more cramming could be ready to take the actual Exam in 2 weeks or so, or would I wait to take it in about 6 weeks so. My AR indicates I have dedicated 150+hours to studying, although I initially used AATBS hand-me down books for a month prior to starting the AR. Any input would be helpful for those who have taken the EPPP already. I don't really know where I stand, but based on the amount of questions I consistently get correct, it seems its to be 138-140, if its out of 175, I imagine I can pass with a slight margin?
I'm confused as to why you feel that there are domains that you still need to cover and you are taking so many practice tests. For example, study a bit of I/O and you could get 5 or 6 more questions right fairly easily. Domain specific studying was what I did primarily and tried to get an 80% in each domain. Some domains that was easy and in others it took a bit more work.

I'm confused as to why you feel that there are domains that you still need to cover and you are taking so many practice tests. For example, study a bit of I/O and you could get 5 or 6 more questions right fairly easily. Domain specific studying was what I did primarily and tried to get an 80% in each domain. Some domains that was easy and in others it took a bit more work.

Hey Smalltownpsych,
Thank you for your input. I guess this is helpful to know that I may be over focusing on each section and I know initially I had been overly studying each detail, but have departed from that somewhat. I feel like I know nothing of I/O and assumed I need to study it in depth to compensate for that. I am also not a great test-taker and have always needed to study hard because memorization doesn't come easy to me. Several of my colleagues who recently took it seemed to be emphasizing practice exams and some took up to 10 practice exams, so I guess I may have taken that as the guideline rather than suggestion. I guess I am trying to figure out if I am in the ballpark to be ready to take the exam in the next few weeks or if I am still far from it.

Practice exams are good, but to me they were markers of what I was learning or memorizing, not the actual learning itself. Besides, if you are not passing them, then aren't you practicing getting the wrong answers?

Practice exams are good, but to me they were markers of what I was learning or memorizing, not the actual learning itself. Besides, if you are not passing them, then aren't you practicing getting the wrong answers?

Yes I agree with you. I have studied the content and then taken a practice exam (1-2 exams per week) as markers of what I am learning. The study modes on AR exams give feedback and rationale for each answer, so in a way it has helped learn the material as well. I just completed another exam and got 69% which is 155 correct out of 225, so I am trying to decide if AR exams are somewhat harder as others have commented here earlier and whether my actual performance may be somewhat higher if I take the EPPP.

Yes I agree with you. I have studied the content and then taken a practice exam (1-2 exams per week) as markers of what I am learning. The study modes on AR exams give feedback and rationale for each answer, so in a way it has helped learn the material as well. I just completed another exam and got 69% which is 155 correct out of 225, so I am trying to decide if AR exams are somewhat harder as others have commented here earlier and whether my actual performance may be somewhat higher if I take the EPPP.
I have also heard that AR is a little harder and that is what I used. I was a bit worried about how close I was to the 70 mark for awhile and since I am used to high scores on test it was disconcerting. It sounds like you are on track since you went from the 65 to the 69. I overstudied myself and those who say just enough studying is fine are always the people who have already passed it. :D My goal was to be consistently over 70. Would over 65 been enough? Don't know, but I am sure that you will continue to work hard up until the day you take and pass it. No matter what anyone says. Like what else would you do, coast to the end? None of us do that. Keep up the good work and good luck on the test. :)

Oh God, I wish I could go back in time to my undergraduate self and tell her to take an I/O Psych class. Learning it without any prior exposure is BRUTAL. And I'm infuriated by all of the practice test questions that have answers like "the research on this is mixed, but here's the right answer!"

Plus some of the ethical questions have just really dumb answers. It might be the best answer, but that doesn't make it a good answer or what I would actually do in real life. Arghh.

Also, does anyone know which practice tests have 200 questions? My colleague gave me some and doesn't know where they're from. I think that they're harder than Psych Prep so it'd be nice to know which company they are (since I've heard that some are harder than others).

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent, SDNers. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, I am set to take this thing in 3 weeks. I have been using PsychPrep materials and online tests. I am beginning to worry as I have not been making their "expected progress" to the T. For example, I have missed 10 to 20 questions more than what they recommend missing in "Test Mode" for scores in the 85% range. My question is, did those of you who followed the PsychPrep program of taking each practice test 3 times meet the expected progress (ie only missing 5 to 10 questions in Test Mode)? Or did some of you pass the EPPP without achieving PsychPrep's expectations? My first time test scores have been between 62 and 64%. I am obviously improving with each retake of a test but i'm worried since i'm not reaching PsychPrep's standard that it means that i'm not learning/retaining enough and won't pass the actual test in a few weeks. Anyway, any info or insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Docs.

Oh God, I wish I could go back in time to my undergraduate self and tell her to take an I/O Psych class. Learning it without any prior exposure is BRUTAL. And I'm infuriated by all of the practice test questions that have answers like "the research on this is mixed, but here's the right answer!"

Plus some of the ethical questions have just really dumb answers. It might be the best answer, but that doesn't make it a good answer or what I would actually do in real life. Arghh.

Also, does anyone know which practice tests have 200 questions? My colleague gave me some and doesn't know where they're from. I think that they're harder than Psych Prep so it'd be nice to know which company they are (since I've heard that some are harder than others).

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent, SDNers. :)

Haha couldn't agree more about the ethics questions... I'm not sure about other test programs but PsychPreps only have 200 questions per practice test.

I am taking this exam August 16. My problem is that when I graduated, I landed a job that did not require taking the EPPP (academics - without a post-doc!) Move forward 6 years, and I am being mobbed by the 74 year old man at the top of the food chain and MUST get out of here. So, I decided to go for the EPPP. I do not have access to the practice exams mentioned here. Instead, I got two from Modern Psychologist Association, downloaded all the apps that are about $30 each... Flash cards...med preps...pocket prep. I have the blue EPPP study guide referenced in the pocket prep app. I have studied all these to 100%....except the flash cards. I still need to work on those. I feel like the rest of you say... Like my brain feels like I am cramming. So, I have started asking family if I can teach them. If I prepare a mini lecture to explain something new and tell it to a friend or family, I am finding that it sticks. I have also made some quizlets that go with the book I have. I don't know how I will do, as I do not know if the two practice exams I have are sufficient. I cannot afford the $900 for the test prep companies right now. So, there is where I stand. Tuesday, I will tell you if I pass or not. It has been so long since I graduated.

Hi all, I am set to take this thing in 3 weeks. I have been using PsychPrep materials and online tests. I am beginning to worry as I have not been making their "expected progress" to the T. For example, I have missed 10 to 20 questions more than what they recommend missing in "Test Mode" for scores in the 85% range. My question is, did those of you who followed the PsychPrep program of taking each practice test 3 times meet the expected progress (ie only missing 5 to 10 questions in Test Mode)? Or did some of you pass the EPPP without achieving PsychPrep's expectations? My first time test scores have been between 62 and 64%. I am obviously improving with each retake of a test but i'm worried since i'm not reaching PsychPrep's standard that it means that i'm not learning/retaining enough and won't pass the actual test in a few weeks. Anyway, any info or insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Docs.
Hi Ashley- I posted above about my similar concerns...scoring low on the first run on my practice tests (psych prep and AR) and wasn't sure how to supplement, whether I was ready, etc etc. I utilized psych prep feedback initially. However, I found that it increased my anxiety as I was not meeting their expectations and, due to that, it began to decrease my self esteem. I was bummed out when I received feedback such as "you didn't quite make the mark," when I had literally missed a few questions below their recommended cutoff. So, I stopped emailing my test results, and I began supplementing with some AR tests to broaden my question base. I basically used practice tests to study from, and I really haven't scored above high 60's at this point (on a first pass--retakes have been much higher). I honestly stressed out so much about not making progress on the psych prep materials. If you feel confident in knowing the material, I wouldn't worry too much. One thing I have been doing is really going over the questions I answered wrong on the psych prep tests. There are a lot of hard questions on the tests that trip you up but that helped me learn the material (in my opinion) to get me ready for the test. I took the PEPPP at the testing site this weekend and passed it (583). I am taking the EPPP in a couple weeks and feel much more confident that my initial practice test scores were not a reflection that I needed to postpone my test. In fact, I am learning the material and am confident in my ability to pass. I suggest taking the PEPPP at the testing site if you can. It definitely helped my confidence and self-esteem. It also gave me a good idea of what the environment would be like on test day. I hope this helps and good luck on the test!

Thanks for the feedback Smalltownpsych......it helps to at least get a sense of the range I may be in. I do see others have commented that the AR tests seems to be harder, although I do find that it is helpful with learning and reviewing the concepts. I do feel like I am running out of steam covering all the sections and feeling like I am losing previously learned material as I review new material, but hopefully that's not the case..........would be helpful to hear the others felt this way too after nearly three months of studying........can't wait for this to be over.....

I took the EPPP today and failed by 6 points. Here is my advice... The EPPP Fundamentals book by Anne S. Klee and Bret A. Moore won't get you too far. It is a good place to start, but the questions inside it are not on the level of those on the EPPP. The pocket prep app is aligned with that book. I can make 100% on those questions. The med preps app was helpful, but it won't make you pass. I would study it to 100% as there are things on it that helps you figure out questions on the test. The AATBS TestMaster Mobile app is helpful, and I highly recommend (like others) that you study the EPPP flashcard app is something else to study to 100%. I would also download the practice test from Modern Psychologist Association (free online) and contact them for the other exam they have. The EPPP is very similar to their second exam that is not available free online. I knew many answers due to topics on that practice test.

I plan to go back and study the EPPP flashcard a to 100 and see if I can find some more practice exams. If anyone has any to sell me, please let me know!

I took the EPPP today and failed by 6 points. Here is my advice... The EPPP Fundamentals book by Anne S. Klee and Bret A. Moore won't get you too far. It is a good place to start, but the questions inside it are not on the level of those on the EPPP. The pocket prep app is aligned with that book. I can make 100% on those questions. The med preps app was helpful, but it won't make you pass. I would study it to 100% as there are things on it that helps you figure out questions on the test. The AATBS TestMaster Mobile app is helpful, and I highly recommend (like others) that you study the EPPP flashcard app is something else to study to 100%. I would also download the practice test from Modern Psychologist Association (free online) and contact them for the other exam they have. The EPPP is very similar to their second exam that is not available free online. I knew many answers due to topics on that practice test.

I plan to go back and study the EPPP flashcard a to 100 and see if I can find some more practice exams. If anyone has any to sell me, please let me know!

I've got the AATBS flash card pack I'd be happy to ship for $50.

80mdab, do you have an estimate on how much time you spent studying? I am planning to take the exam soon and your experience has made me wonder if I am prepared enough.......sounds like you weren't too far off that you're likely going to pass on the next try......good luck!

80mdab, do you have an estimate on how much time you spent studying? I am planning to take the exam soon and your experience has made me wonder if I am prepared enough.......sounds like you weren't too far off that you're likely going to pass on the next try......good luck!
I am not really sure. I have studied on and off since January, but my schedule has been so busy. I taught 6 college courses since then, completed a book review, a journal article, an instructor manual, and dealt with all my child's activities. My plate has been full. I would get only a few hours a week in. Then in the past two weeks, I was able to get in about an hour a day. I really feel like "time studying" will be different for each person depending on situational factors in life. I would not start thinking that since so and so studied X hours, so should I. Remember that fundamental attribution error!

I just wanted to share that I finally broke over 60% on a practice test! Don't know what my first score was on this particular company's tests as I stopped scoring it because I was getting so much wrong. I've been using the $30 flashcards app and taking practice tests. I also read the Psych Prep chapter on I/O Psych, which I think helped quite a bit. Still have a lot more left to study, but I'm happy that I'm showing even a little bit of improvement. I'm also going to take the PEPPO (or whatever the official online practice test is called) soon, so we'll see how that goes. :)

Cara- I never scored higher than 63% on any of the five AATBS practice tests and did fine on the real thing.

You got this!!!!!!

Hey All,
I finally broke into the mid 70's on the AR practice exams and hoping to take the exam in the coming days....still not sure how that may translate into the real deal, but hopefully I am in the ballpark.......any experiences with the AR exams for those who passed the actual exam would be helpful to hear.....

Cara- I never scored higher than 63% on any of the five AATBS practice tests and did fine on the real thing.

You got this!!!!!!

Thanks! I just got close to a 65% on a Psych Prep test (would have actually gotten 65% if I hadn't misread two questions). :)

Just took the EPPP and thought I'd share my experience. I must say I found majority of the questions to be completely out of left field and not consistent with any content I have studied in the AR materials. I probably felt confident with about 10-15 questions and another 5 or so that were similar to the types of AR questions in the practice materials. The rest of the content on the actual exam was completely foreign to me and I want to believe that it was maybe due to lack of preparation. However, I have spent the last three month diligently studying (started with handed down AATBS books and then switched to online AR program covering over 190 hours). I came away feeling completely lost and unsure if further review of AR material will be of much help but reluctant to spend several hundred on another program. My practice exam scores were consistently in the 65-75% range on the last 6 or 7 mock exams in AR and I felt relatively well prepared knowing and understanding the content, but found the real deal very different and substantially harder than all of my preparation. I am left feeling like the content I knew well from all of the content areas was nowhere near the material I was tested on. I walked away with scaled score of 454 and not really sure what to study further or where to find the content/preparation that would actually resemble the type of questions or content on the actual exam. I am fairly resilient and always bounce back and push through after losses, but am currently left a little she'll-shocked and dumbfounded. I want to believe it's a reflection of not enough preparation like all say, but at the same time I found that majority of the material on the actual exam was not similar to anything I studied.

Took my an AR practice test (it was pretty old, though) and got a 69%! I know, you all care so much :)

I used academic review, focusing primarily on reviewing online chapters and taking quizzes/practice tests in study mode. Studied 180 hour total (started with about 20 hours a week and slowly decreased to 10-15 a week at the end). I studied for about 4 months. The week before I took EPPP my practice tests were in the 85-95% ranges (mostly because I had taken so many quizzes that I recognized the answers immediately, ugh). Ended up with a 631 scaled score. Hope that's helpful

Just passed a couple weeks ago with a 606. I got 440 on the official online practice exam. I studied casually for a few months and then intensely for 2 weeks. I didn't buy any of the big study programs. I just bought a cheap study guide online, an iphone app, and got a big collection of hand me down old practice tests. The old practice tests are what helped the most. I probably took 10-15 of them. At a certain point you start to recognize what the questions are pulling for and how they are trying to trick you before you even finish reading the question. I made flash cards of all missed items and also used youtube to bolster my knowledge for unfamiliar concepts. For instance, while playing videogames, I would just let youtube autoplay videos related to gestalt psychotherapy or structural family therapy in the background and that was surprisingly helpful in just being able to recognize key terms etc.

Just took the EPPP and thought I'd share my experience. I must say I found majority of the questions to be completely out of left field and not consistent with any content I have studied in the AR materials. I probably felt confident with about 10-15 questions and another 5 or so that were similar to the types of AR questions in the practice materials. The rest of the content on the actual exam was completely foreign to me and I want to believe that it was maybe due to lack of preparation. However, I have spent the last three month diligently studying (started with handed down AATBS books and then switched to online AR program covering over 190 hours). I came away feeling completely lost and unsure if further review of AR material will be of much help but reluctant to spend several hundred on another program. My practice exam scores were consistently in the 65-75% range on the last 6 or 7 mock exams in AR and I felt relatively well prepared knowing and understanding the content, but found the real deal very different and substantially harder than all of my preparation. I am left feeling like the content I knew well from all of the content areas was nowhere near the material I was tested on. I walked away with scaled score of 454 and not really sure what to study further or where to find the content/preparation that would actually resemble the type of questions or content on the actual exam. I am fairly resilient and always bounce back and push through after losses, but am currently left a little she'll-shocked and dumbfounded. I want to believe it's a reflection of not enough preparation like all say, but at the same time I found that majority of the material on the actual exam was not similar to anything I studied.

Did you do any training for test taking strategies? There were a lot of questions that I was uncertain about, but had it down to two answers and relied on testing logic to pick the final answer. As a result, I thought that I very well could have failed or passed when I completed the test, but ended up passing with a nice buffer.

Of course there are also 3rd factors to consider like test anxiety, adequate REM sleep in the nights leading up to the test, etc.

Thanks for your input, I had studied pretty consistently for nearly three months and was identifying the terms on practice quizzes and exams on AR online materials. Was alright at narrowing down the choices on practice exams and was generally calm during the exam; however, I certainly could have slept better the night before but I am not a great sleeper to begin with. I am sure I could have studied more (as with anything) but I just found the questions on the exam to be entirely different from topics I had studied. Maybe it's a reflection of not covering enough material or enough broad studying. A colleague of mine mentioned that some exams may lean heavier on certain areas than others, but I can't imagine 50% of exam covering an obscure area I hadn't covered. It's helpful to hear that a few others have had a similar experience, although frustrating to know that some get versions that are almost identical to the practice questions they studied while others don't (although glad most pass which helps me keep going). I am supplementing my studying with old PsychPrep stuff but worried because some material is conflicting AR materials. I guess I'll take my chances on the next one.......

As I stated above, I took the EPPP WITHOUT having access to the practice exams and failed by 6 points. I am probably rescheduling for around Sept 23. Since then, I have acquired probably 13 or so practice exams and started taking them. See my posts above for how I studied before (excuse the grammatical errors I saw as I reread those - sorry!). After I took the exam, I jotted down topics that were on my exam (not being unethical and sharing those - I wouldn't have even thought of writing them down if the test didn't say not to do it and SHARE the questions with anyone...it is for my OWN knowledge - although I doubt I will get a test with any of those questions...so I AM NOT sharing content...just math here). I was able to remember 112. Now I have taken 5.5 practice exams and have come across 39 topics of those 112 questions. So, I think if you take the tests and study the reasons - make note cards on the areas you miss but add the rest of the stuff in the reasoning if you are not familiar with it, you should be able to improve your score. The other information (for the most part) is covered in the apps. But there were a few things I found NO WHERE. So for right now, I am really thinking that if you are preparing, and you need a lot of study time like me (remember I graduated 6 years ago and did NOT teach in these areas since my job had me teaching random stuff not related...so my memory for this information has declined)....download the flash cards for $30. The Moore book (blue EPPP fundamentals is helpful to get the basics and I do take back my comment above about how it isn't helpful as when I go back and look at the 112 topics, a lot actually DID come from the book...66 to be exact). So my advice (coming from someone who failed and is regrouping) is to be eclectic. I will update after I take it around the 23 of sept.

Thanks for your input 80mdab, I wish I made more of an effort to remember a few topics covered in the exam, but it was so confusing and I felt I had spent so much effort trying to understand the questions, that I didn't have enough time or energy to keep track of that too. I guess being eclectic is good, I have tried to regroup and supplement my AR materials with old PsychPrep materials as well. It seems I am familiar with the materials covered, and want to believe that I failed from not enough preparation, although its hard to tell where the limit is (seems you could study these materials to eternity). I am hoping to improve my scores on the practice exams by focusing more on studying the rationale for each question I get wrong (many seem to find this strategy key). I will say that what makes me worried is that if I get the same exam, I may feel just as lost since there are only a few things I have come across in further studying that were similar to the exam stuff. Maybe it was just one of those exams that others have had and complained about, but it makes me hesitant about when I will be prepared enough...

I can understand. It is very stressful, and I a have NO LIFE until I pass!

Last edited:
Just passed a couple weeks ago with a 606. I got 440 on the official online practice exam. I studied casually for a few months and then intensely for 2 weeks. I didn't buy any of the big study programs. I just bought a cheap study guide online, an iphone app, and got a big collection of hand me down old practice tests. The old practice tests are what helped the most. I probably took 10-15 of them. At a certain point you start to recognize what the questions are pulling for and how they are trying to trick you before you even finish reading the question. I made flash cards of all missed items and also used youtube to bolster my knowledge for unfamiliar concepts. For instance, while playing videogames, I would just let youtube autoplay videos related to gestalt psychotherapy or structural family therapy in the background and that was surprisingly helpful in just being able to recognize key terms etc.

Very similar to my experience and strategy, although essentially all of my studying materials were handmedowns, and my study period was more along the lines of 3-4 quickly-intensifying weeks. And I agree that the practice tests, for me, were the most helpful aspects of my study routine. I took one prior to starting my studying, another a week or two later, and then during the final two weeks I knocked out about 10.

I wanted to pick everyone's collective brains. I am using AATBS, but I have a long commute. I have listened to all their audio files, and I find them too basic. Is there another prep company that has more comprehensive CDs or audio files? Anyone have a comparison of the Psych Prep or the AR audio files, compared to the AATBS ones? I might as well take advantage of the commute........

I know this has been addressed in earlier posts, but I figured I would reintroduce it with updated responses hopefully. My question is related to the PEPPP or PEPPPO for those who have taken the EPPP and whether they felt their PEPPPO scores were predictive of their actual EPPP performance. I am trying to figure out if taking it will give me a good idea of where I stand in terms of preparation to take the actual EPPP. Any responses would be most appreciated!

I got over a 500, which I believe means that I passed! I'm still convinced that I failed, despite having the number in front of me. ;) What a terrible exam!

As I posted on here earlier, my practice scores during the few weeks before I took it were generally between 65% and 70%. I studied by using the $30 flashcard app, taking a bunch of practice tests, Modern Psychologist's study guide, and the I/O Psych Prep chapter. I'm pretty sure that I studied only about 40 hours total, if not less, but I also felt pretty familiar with most of the material before I started studying.

Reactions: 6 users
I got over a 500, which I believe means that I passed! I'm still convinced that I failed, despite having the number in front of me. ;) What a terrible exam!

As I posted on here earlier, my practice scores during the few weeks before I took it were generally between 65% and 70%. I studied by using the $30 flashcard app, taking a bunch of practice tests, Modern Psychologist's study guide, and the I/O Psych Prep chapter. I'm pretty sure that I studied only about 40 hours total, if not less, but I also felt pretty familiar with most of the material before I started studying.

How much of that guide was just conspiracy theories and nonsensical ramblings?

How much of that guide was just conspiracy theories and nonsensical ramblings?

The beginning was complaining about the EPPP, but other than that it was actually super helpful. I used it because it was recommended by other post docs who had taken the exam.

I know this has been addressed in earlier posts, but I figured I would reintroduce it with updated responses hopefully. My question is related to the PEPPP or PEPPPO for those who have taken the EPPP and whether they felt their PEPPPO scores were predictive of their actual EPPP performance. I am trying to figure out if taking it will give me a good idea of where I stand in terms of preparation to take the actual EPPP. Any responses would be most appreciated!

Wow, congrats! I am sure that's a big weight off you! Were you using AR practice exams? I am in the low 70's on most AR practice Exams but not entirely sure if I am ready, thinking of trying the PEPPPO first......

Wow, congrats! I am sure that's a big weight off you! Were you using AR practice exams? I am in the low 70's on most AR practice Exams but not entirely sure if I am ready, thinking of trying the PEPPPO first......

Thanks! I took a mixture of Psych Prep and others that weren't identified. I know for sure that at least a few were AR. I was generally scoring in the low 70s on AR (despite what people on here said, I found them easier than the Psych Prep ones.) Generally I was told that if you are scoring consistently between 65-70%, you're golden, so I'd probably go ahead and take it.

I read this thread the night before my exam and it provided me with some reassurance, so I thought I'd add my 2 cents.

I took 9 ATTBS practice exams and the bulk of my scores ranged between 65 and 76 (my first score was in the 40 range). Five of them were taken in exam mode. Taking the practice exams in exam mode mainly helped me become comfortable with having absolutely no idea how well I was doing (like on the actual exam) and to just trust my answer choices.

After every practice exam (i.e., the following day), I reviewed all correct and incorrect answers. I then focused on studying sections with scores below 70%. I gave up on devoting much time to better understanding stats because I kept bombing that section regardless of how much I studied. I just focused on memorizing my abbreviated version of the stats flashcards. In fact, I did the same for all the Domain C sections (test construction, assessment, social psych) and just hoped recognition would pull me through on exam day. My studying for the other domains consisted of reading the chapters 1 to 2 times and reviewing my typed notes.

I averaged about 2.5 to 3 hours when taking the practice exams, but 4 hours on the actual exam. I didn't review all of my flagged responses because after reviewing 2 questions I felt anxious and still didn't know the correct answers, so I just decided to trust my original responses and end the exam.

Although I felt confident about some of my answers, I felt doubtful about most. I was certain that I failed, but I passed with a higher score than what I received on my practice exams. Phew.

I read this thread the night before my exam and it provided me with some reassurance, so I thought I'd add my 2 cents.

I took 9 ATTBS practice exams and the bulk of my scores ranged between 65 and 76 (my first score was in the 40 range). Five of them were taken in exam mode. Taking the practice exams in exam mode mainly helped me become comfortable with having absolutely no idea how well I was doing (like on the actual exam) and to just trust my answer choices.

After every practice exam (i.e., the following day), I reviewed all correct and incorrect answers. I then focused on studying sections with scores below 70%. I gave up on devoting much time to better understanding stats because I kept bombing that section regardless of how much I studied. I just focused on memorizing my abbreviated version of the stats flashcards. In fact, I did the same for all the Domain C sections (test construction, assessment, social psych) and just hoped recognition would pull me through on exam day. My studying for the other domains consisted of reading the chapters 1 to 2 times and reviewing my typed notes.

I averaged about 2.5 to 3 hours when taking the practice exams, but 4 hours on the actual exam. I didn't review all of my flagged responses because after reviewing 2 questions I felt anxious and still didn't know the correct answers, so I just decided to trust my original responses and end the exam.

Although I felt confident about some of my answers, I felt doubtful about most. I was certain that I failed, but I passed with a higher score than what I received on my practice exams. Phew.
Do you feel comfortable posting your final score? I'm curious as to what the correspondence between your AATBS 75% and the actual score obtained was. I am using a very similar study strategy to yours, so I'm curious.

Has anyone used Taylor Study Method? I'm using them right now and wanted to see what others think of it.