EPPP practice test scores for those who passed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations (and welcome)!

I have not heard of a case where an unofficial score changed after the fact, so I think you are pretty safe.

The passing score depends on what state you are in. You will receive a converted score for NY (http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/psych/psychlic.htm).

Thanks so much, Madeinecanada!!! Happy dance!

Good Luck All!

Members don't see this ad.

Writing the test in just over a week! I'm using PsychPrep to study... I've probably been studying 1-3 hours per week for about 3 months. (I have a full-time job and a part-time job, so slow but steady seemed the way to go here). Practice test scores A-E in order were 62%, 69%, 65%, 67%, and 74%. I'm a little nervous, but skimming parts of this thread has been really helpful. I'll probably cram a bit in the day or two before the exam, and then hope for the best.

Writing the test in just over a week! I'm using PsychPrep to study... I've probably been studying 1-3 hours per week for about 3 months. (I have a full-time job and a part-time job, so slow but steady seemed the way to go here). Practice test scores A-E in order were 62%, 69%, 65%, 67%, and 74%. I'm a little nervous, but skimming parts of this thread has been really helpful. I'll probably cram a bit in the day or two before the exam, and then hope for the best.

You are on the right track. Let us know when you pass!

Members don't see this ad :)
You are on the right track. Let us know when you pass!

Thanks! I passed with 670+, so probably by an okay margin (it would help if they provided means and standard deviations for these things). I found that the test was almost exactly what I expected, based on my practice tests. All in all, not a bad experience.

Thanks! I passed with 670+, so probably by an okay margin (it would help if they provided means and standard deviations for these things). I found that the test was almost exactly what I expected, based on my practice tests. All in all, not a bad experience.

If it helps, it's a 200-800 scale with 500 being roughly equivalent to 70%. You can reverse engineer a rough estimate of percentile ranks if you wanted to be nerdy and take the time.

Thank you to those of you who have posted to this thread. I found it very helpful and wanted to add my two cents.

I recently took and passed the EPPP (scored in the mid-600s). I studied for a little over two months. I spent that first month reading each section of the AATBS written materials from 2012 and taking the subject tests. During the second month I took mostly AATBS practice tests supplemented by the EPPP Flashcard app ($30 well spent in my opinion). Throughout, I also listened to the AATBS CDs during my commutes as much as I could stand it. I would say overall study time was in the neighborhood of 200 hours. The only reason I used AATBS is because that is what I was provided with at my post-doc. If you can obtain materials that are somewhat dated for free, I do not recommend spending additional money on more updated materials. From what I've seen, AATBS or Psych Prep are more than sufficient even if the materials are somewhat dated.

My practice test scores started in the low 50s and gradually increased to the high 70s immediately prior to the exam. I took the PEPPO three weeks prior to the exam and failed. I think the PEPPO was minimally helpful and potentially harmful to my study efforts. It was somewhat helpful to see the wording of questions that had been on the exam. However, everyone I've spoken to about the PEPPO failed it and passed the EPPP. With the cost of the EPPP approaching $700, I do not think the PEPPO was a good use of my money and would not recommend it to others unless you have significant test anxiety. If you do decide take it, keep in mind it probably will underestimate your score on the EPPP.

Like many others, I found the actual EPPP questions to be less complicated and easier than the AATBS practice exams. Overall, I probably studied too much, but what are you going to do? In my opinion, if you are approaching the high 60s on AATBS or Psych Prep, you should be good to go on the EPPP.

Good luck to those of you currently preparing to tackle this beast. You will make it to the other side!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I found the content of the AATBS study materials to be well aligned with the content on the exam. Like many others, I also found the actual EPPP questions to be less complicated and easier than the AATBS practice exams. Overall, I probably studied too much, but what are you going to do? In my opinion, if you are approaching the high 60s on AATBS or Psych Prep, you should be good to go on the EPPP.

This was also true for me. I scored >680 on the real EPPP after studying a few months with used AATBS and Academic Review materials. The real deal resembled my study content less than I expected. Even so, I think I outperformed every practice test I took, most of which had me scoring around the 70th-75th percentile range.

Just want to add my info to this thread. I took the EPPP and received a score of 595. I actually only took the practice exam two weeks ago, and received a 475 at that point.

As for studying, I had been slowly working through test materials since last June, listening to some audiotapes and reading academic review study materials. I also had copies of old practice exams from a friend, although I'm not sure which system they came from - I have 20 total and completed all of them, the majority in the last two months. I was averaging high 60's on most of those, but the last 6 or 7 had a TON of repeat information which inflated my scores up to low to mid 80's (that actually didn't help my confidence when I counted 60+ questions I had seen on previous practice tests).

Throughout 2015, I doubt I averaged more than 5- hours/weeks (some weeks I put in a significant amount of time, but then I had weeks on end where I did nothing). In mid January I increased it to probably 15 hours/week, as I got confirmation that I had the approval to schedule the exam. The last 3 weeks I'd guess I was studying 30-40 hours a week, in addition to my postdoc work. I took a few days off to give myself two straight 4-day weekends leading up to the test today (Thursday), and spent 6-8 hours a day studying. Apart from reading, taking practice exams, making note cards of every item I got wrong on practice exams, I downloaded the EPPP flashcard app on android two weeks ago, and I'd highly recommend it. I found it very helpful for learning terms that either A: hadn't shown up in my study materials or B: I was having a difficult time keeping straight. I only actually used it for four areas - Learning, IO, developmental, and and neuro. I didn't keep track on the actual exam, but I'd guess there were between 20 and 30 questions that I felt confident about my answer due directly to having learned the terms from the app. I particularly found the use of the study programs (the leitner method or whatever it's called in the app) very helpful. I didn't study yesterday or today, instead choosing to prioritize relaxation over last minute cramming.

The majority of the test itself seemed easier than the practice test, although I definitely had 75 or so questions I wasn't sure on, including many with topics I had never seen before. I did not believe that I had seen any of the questions before, although obviously the majority were on topics I knew well. Coming into the test, I knew my absolute worst area would be stats, followed likely by IO and developmental. I'd guess I bombed stats, but I believe I did fairly well everyhere else. Obviously a 595 isn't phenomenal, but it certainly seems good enough.

If I had to do things over again, I would definitely buy the app earlier and do the flash cards to the point of 100% accuracy as I went through each section, and then continue to review them afterwards. I found that if I had a few days go by without reviewing a section I had previously aced I would no longer be able to get a perfect score on it. I would probably also give myself 3 months of straight studying (I had a difficult time with this, since it took over 4 months to get approval from the licensing board to take the test, and the lengthy delay made it tough to sit down and actually study like I needed to), probably 10-15 hours/week. The last month of my life has been kind of hell trying to feel confident coming into today, but looking back I'm happy I put in the time I did to make certain I'd pass.

Hello all. I am scheduled to take the EPPP in three weeks. I am scoring in the high 60s to mid 70s on all my practice tests (I have recently been taking two a week). What were other people scoring before they passed the real exam? Also, the practice tests I am using are academic review.

I used this website to help me get through the EPPP, as I felt like there was no chance in hell I was going to pass with my practice scores. I took it today and PASSED - even with running out of time. I had to come on and say this, because I kept looking for reassurance. I never made it past 60% on an AATBS test. I scored 60 pretty much every time. I failed the PEPPO a week before the EPPP with a score of 470. I studied for 8 months and was completely discouraged. After failing the PEPPO I bailed on AATBS and read ALL of psych prep documents and started doing random AR tests that someone had passed down to me. Scored between 65-69% on all of those. All of my colleagues said that they never got close to 70 so I tried to stay positive. I used the AATBS cue cards to review and had a decent handle on most of them. Stats I had no clue, but luckily there were no calculations on my version of the exam.

The test was way easier than any of the practice exams. Everyone says this and it's true! The ethics questions were the most challenging, I felt, and represented issues that you would rarely ever see in real life! Best advice I got was to answer EVERY question and flag it if you don't know the answer. I didn't have time to go back to any of my flagged responses, and with the last 2 minutes actually randomly clicked answers for the remaining 15 questions without reading them (while crying in my chair). Got just under 600, so I presume without guessing those last ones I would have crushed that stupid little test. The other best piece of advice I got was to write "I WILL PASS THE EPPP" at the top of my whiteboard. I may have also added "The EPPP is my bitch!"

So for all of you who are scoring crappy on the practice tests and, like me, are 99% certain you are going to fail - you can do it!!! If you're scoring around 65% you are ready - take it and get it done so you can have your life back :)

Hey Everyone. I am currently using Psych Prep and my scores have been improving, but they have not been at the benchmarks that they have wanted. They want me to delay taking the test and I'm struggling to figure out whether I should. I saw one person on this thread ignore their advice and passed, which is reassuring and was wondering if others had similar experiences.

Hi All,

This is my first posting here. This forum has been great encouragement while I was preparing for the EPPP, so I’d like to pay it forward by sharing my experience with the exam and my (rather lengthy) journey to taking it. Yes, I did pass it with a 550 last month on my first try. I think that translates into a 78% or so. What a relief, I tell ya! My background is a bit atypical, in that I graduated in 2007, completed my post-doc in 2011, and have been avoiding scheduling the exam all these years. The fact that I have been already making a pretty decent living from teaching online psychology courses all these years didn’t help boost my urgency to take the exam earlier either. Also, I am about 20 years senior to most other graduates, and my program was one of those vilified PsyD schools. Although, in all honesty, many of the schools that put out PhDs nowadays are far worse than an average APA accredited PsyD program, in my opinion (OK, let’s start a big quarrel about that…LOL)

Anyway, last year I decided to take the EPPP, partly because I was embarrassed to probably be the only one in my 2007 class not yet licensed, and partly because I saw no future in teaching (there isn’t any future in teaching, by the way, at any type of school, private, state, for-profit, non-profit, or whatever – virtually all universities are now fully dominated by corporate and Wall St. interests, bar none, and they treat their professors like trash; I teach for a bunch of universities, so I should know). Also, another reason I decided to take the EPPP is that I really do want to start working clinically, which is why I went to grad school to begin with. So about a year ago I started studying on and off with an ancient, 2007, PsychPrep package I bought on ebay. Later last year I did get the current PsychPrep binder (but not the tests), but except for the DSM section, there are very few changes from the 2007 version I started with. The online psych courses I have been teaching did help some, at least not to forget the basic concepts all these years. I did not start studying systematically until around November last year. However, for the past year or so I would play the PsychPrep CDs (2007) while working, and I think that helped a great deal. You have to play those over and over, especially if you do something else at the same time, like I was. I highly recommend the CDs. And, starting in November, up until the day before the test, I did read all PsychPrep sections about three or four times.

So, here’s how it went with the practice tests. I first took the Items from Previous Examinations (2006 edition) in December because I heard that scores on that are highly correlated with the actual EPPP. Amazingly enough, I scored 78% on that, so yes, it is highly correlated with the actual test. After that I also inferred that I had overstudied by 8%, and was tempted to stop, but continued to study nonetheless…:) Basically, I read the PsychPrep binder about 3 or 4 times. Some sections I knew well (social psych, development, biobasis, ethics) because I had taught such courses, but others (e.g., Stats, I/O) I did not have a clue. So I played a numbers game, figuring that what I knew was going to pull me over the 500 line. Nonetheless, I did familiarize myself with the essential stats concepts, despite not having a true understanding of them, and I memorized many of the I/O theories the best I could. If you don’t like stats, I recommend that you do the same, as most questions on the exam ask about basic concepts. Continuing with the tests, in February, 10 days before my test date I took PsychPrep’s Exam A, and got a 77%. Three days later I took Exam B, and got 72%. Two days after that I took Exam D and got a 67%. I was bummed out by my obvious decline in scores, and upon further advice from my wife (who is a dentist, and thus acquainted with nasty and useless tests), I decided not to take Exam E, expecting an even worse score. Instead I read PsychPrep one more time, which I think was time well spent. And certainly I was not going to take the PEPPO, which I understand almost everybody fails -- I think that was a great decision too.

On the day of the exam, it did not help that I could not sleep the night before except for about 2 hours, and that only after I took a pill and a half of Ambient, a nasty sleeping drug I don’t recommend, and plan not to use again. You could say anxiety got the best of me. I figure, the lack of sleep alone knocked off 50 points right there. The ladies at the test center were nice, the room was quiet, everything was great. I recommend that you do not take a break in the middle of the test. Just go to the bathroom before the test, drink a glass of water, and take it in one sitting. I did mark a ton of questions for review, but had no time to go back. I did finish all questions, although the last 50 or so I had to do in a hurry, as time was running short. Make sure you don’t spend more than one minute per question – get into that habit starting with the practice exams from day one. One other reason why you should do the practice exams, or at least read through them, is because I noticed at least 25 – 30 questions on the actual exam to be virtually word-for-word identical to those on the PsychPrep exams… I wonder how that happened…:thinking:

As far as the test itself is concerned, I certainly found it to be more fair and logical than the ancient PsychPrep exams I had used (2007). First, the questions are much shorter, so you won’t waste 5 minutes just reading the poor prose. I would say that the PsychPrep materials covered most topics I encountered, although there were at least 25 questions, maybe more, that mentioned topics and theories I never heard of and which were not covered in PsychPrep. Unlike other people who posted here, I did not think the ethics questions were overwhelmingly difficult. Stats probably dragged me down the most, but it’s just not my cup of tea, and besides, like I said, I have a PsyD, and my program didn't focus much on stats. But even in stats, I recommend that you familiarize yourself with the basic concepts, the different types of research, when certain stats are applicable and when they are not, know the difference between T-scores, z-scores, etc. – that alone should let you guess correctly about 40 – 50% of the stats questions, which is probably what I did. The DSM questions were few and hilariously easy. I was trained with DSM-IV and am not very familiar with V, and did just fine. I also am not familiar with psychopharmacology, but that was not a problem and I don’t remember seeing more than one or two medication questions on the test.

Like I said, the actual test was straightforward and fair. So, don’t sweat it too much. Study systematically for a few months, get a hold of the Items from Previous Examination, take a few practice tests while focusing on completing them in under 4 hours, and you’ll do fine. Just look at how many factors I had against me from the beginning, and still was able to pass it.

Good luck to you all!

WoooHoo! I passed! Another hoop smashed!

I used this (60.00 at amazon) https://www.facebook.com/VisionaryPsychologyLlc/

the ap by Study Psych (30.00) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.studypsych.complete&hl=en

and a set of flash cards by AATBS (110.00) (This was overkill as the ap covered all of this information and more.) http://www.aatbs.com/materialinfo.asp?license=1&lcnum=1&id=64

I also took the free online tests by AATBS and Academic Review and the pay test from the ASPPB (PEPPO 55.00)

I spent 255.00 total for study materials and did nothing but study and breathe for four days. I wish that I had the luxury of more time to study, however that just was not ever going to happen and so I just dove in. Your mileage will vary.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Getting ready to take this thing for the first time. My school supplied me with AATBS so that's what I've been using and I'm getting between 59% and 67% on the practice tests so based on other AATBS scores I've seen I'm in a pretty good place. That being said, I really wish this test was more than trivial pursuit: psychology edition.

Members don't see this ad :)
Passed today with a 570! I decided to fork up the cash to pay for the online practice test (ASPPB) yesterday and got the exact same score, so I'd say that online test was the best predictor of how I did on the actual exam. On a personal note, I am 9 months pregnant which made for less study time than I would have liked to have. I ended up only logging about 70 hours total over 8 weeks.

I doubt people will try my method.

I listened to some audio material as I did my work commute 2 weeks prior. I spent zero dollars on prep, got old materials from people. I studied hard the weekend before my EPPP (took it on a Monday), took 4 practice tests, never scored more than 60%.

I went in thinking I will fail and thought that after I finished. Squeaked by with a 530.

I listened to some audio material as I did my work commute 2 weeks prior. I spent zero dollars on prep, got old materials from people. I studied hard the weekend before my EPPP (took it on a Monday), took 4 practice tests, never scored more than 60%.

I went in thinking I will fail and thought that after I finished. Squeaked by with a 530.

I also spent nothing. I hate listening like that (I zone out instantly) but the rest was the same for me. Squeaking by is IDEAL--a high score means you wasted time studying :)

I also spent nothing. I hate listening like that (I zone out instantly) but the rest was the same for me. Squeaking by is IDEAL--a high score means you wasted time studying :)
But what if I score low on I/O??! It might show my lack of knowledge in clinical practice!

In all seriousness, I wish I had studied a little more. I took the EPPP after my masters and missed doc cut by 1 scaled score point. Getting my license never came with so many curse words lol.

two weeks going over practice tests acquired through previous fellows. #allyouneed #itsagame #ecologicalvalidtynotsomuch

Yes. Squeak by. No point in studying any more than what is needed. Whatever you do for tests to be successful - just do that. If you feel better dropping over 1k and 6 months of your time, the more power to you. I prefer the cram method.

I have studied on and off since the very late fall/early winter. I took off a few weeks for the birth of my daughter and really amped up my study schedule around February. I scored between 59% and 71% on AATBS practice tests, listened to study CDs, did weekly study sessions of older tests with a friend, and did some review in the study volumes (this was a small portion of my routine). I also made countless notecards of test items I answered incorrectly - these were immensely helpful a few weeks before the exam.

I scored a 470 on the PEPPP a month prior to the actual exam - this was initially unsettling for me. At the same time I knew I could intensify my study schedule. I agree with others on this thread - the PEPPP seems to be quite an underestimate of the actual test score on the EPPP. Two weeks before the test I retook the AATBS exams (saw a huge jump in scores, thankfully), took a test of retired items which has good predictive value (scored an 80%), and reviewed notecards like a maniac.

I took the test yesterday and scored a 572! I was in the last stages of food poisoning/norovirus and felt awful during the exam. I felt like I failed, which I hear is a normal experience. I was frustrated that many of the major content areas stressed in the study volumes and practice tests were not covered in the actual exam. That being said, take as many practice tests as you can and keep in mind that the practice tests, especially the PEPPP underestimate your actual score.

Passed today with a 570! I decided to fork up the cash to pay for the online practice test (ASPPB) yesterday and got the exact same score, so I'd say that online test was the best predictor of how I did on the actual exam. On a personal note, I am 9 months pregnant which made for less study time than I would have liked to have. I ended up only logging about 70 hours total over 8 weeks.
Congrats! Do you have online access to tests still and would you be willing to sell?

I'll add my story here though it isn't too much different from anyone else's.

Early February: Decide to start studying. First thing I do is take an AATBS practice test, with no studying before at all. I get a 49%.
Mid February-Early May: I study sporadically. Sometimes 10 hours a week, sometimes 2. I have little rhyme or reason to my studying. I use the AATBS practice material and mainly focus on studying key words, models (I.E. Erikson's), and other general concepts that my book tell me is important. I take a total of 7 more AATBS practice tests in this timeframe. Most of my scores were low 50s to low 60s. I had one 44%. I also had one 67%.

Start of May: I get more serious. I read a chapter of my AATBS manual, then do a corresponding set of flash cards from the EPPP android app (the $40 one) every night. Concepts start to stick. I'm feeling pretty good.

The night before the test: I dig out the box of materials a co-worker gave me and randomly decide to take a paper version of a 2003 Psych Prep test. I hand score it. I get a 64% which I think is decent since it was made a year after I graduated high school and one of the questions is about the WAIS-III.

Test Day: I feel good. I start. The first question is an I/O question I didn't study for. I guess on the second. I guess on the third. I don't remember what the first question I for sure knew was, but it took a while. I stopped flagging questions after flagging the first 7 in a row. I actually finished the test in 75 minutes and feel like crap. I spend another 60 going back over every single question, flagged or not. I only change about 10 and think "some of these actually look right." I press submit. A few minutes later I found out I passed with a 559. I'm still in a bit of disbelief. I didn't necessarily think the EPPP felt easier than the practice tests I took. Sometimes it felt harder. But obviously it wasn't, since I managed a passing score.

So, for the 100th time, the practice tests are a good gauge of where you are at, but the scores majorly under predict EPPP performance. My highest score was a 67% on any practice test. If you are mid to high 60s, it's time to schedule.

This thread helped ease my nerves and so hopefully I can pay it forward by sharing my experience. I passed with shamefully flying colors last month (above 700) - so hopefully my post will help save some folks from hours of unneeded studying.

I'm a good test taker and the content areas were all fairly familiar to me because of my research areas and teaching experience (except I/O, which was all new). I studied for 6 weeks - listening to maybe 15-20 hours of audio (psychprep), occasionally taking notes when it was an unfamiliar section, but mostly taking practice tests. I took ~ 9 tests over the 6 weeks. I would take notes about some questions I got wrong and compiled this into a study sheet that I reviewed regularly. I used old Psychprep and Academic review tests and had no difficulties at all even though they were outdated (2008 versions or earlier). I never got around to studying DSM-5 updates specifically, and it wasn't an issue.

Practice test scores from what I still have record of: Test 1a (I actually don't know what company this was - materials were passed along to me) - 63, Psychprep A - 68 Psychprep B - 74, Test 2a - 68, Psychprep C - 75, Test 3a - 72, Psychprep D - 72, Psychprep E - 82

Even though I was scoring well on the practice tests, I felt pressured to continue studying because of stats suggesting higher pass rates for 100+ hours of studying. I probably didn't make it to 100 hours of study time anyways, but I should have eased off earlier.

Despite the good outcome, the exam felt terrible. Fight the emotional reasoning and keep going - you're doing better than you think!

You've got to be ****ting me. Are there really questions like that on the EPPP itself?
Yes Pragma...I got the same. It was a nightmare test in terms of the vocabulary used and the focus on medication specific to population, multicultural psychology I did not study AT ALL, and questions related to specific studies. I even had questions on EigeXXXXXXX. It was definitely NOT a throw away ease test. I got VERY FEW basic theoretical questions. I used every minute allowed and then some. Failed by 2 points on standard score. So demoralized and heartbroken.

I thought the questions were slightly more straightforward than the practice exams, but still tricky. I found myself guessing on about 1/3, but usually able to eliminate 2 choices. I was studying with some PsychPrep materials and scored about a 50 on the first practice exam I took. I did some reading and flashcards, and then the bulk of my studying was as part of a 1 month Academic Review subscription. I took 3 full practice exams on Academic Review, first one was a 65, then a week out I was a 77, and then day before exam an 85. My actual score was a 90 (696). For some context, I'm a strong multiple choice test taker (1580 on the GREs). I think total study time was about 80 hours. I probably could have passed after the first Academic Review exam, which would have been after about 20 hours of studying, although I would not have felt comfortable.

Thanks to all those who posted their study methods, practice scores, and results. This thread has been so helpful to me so I want to contribute too. I'm happy to share that I passed!!! I found out about 8 business days after the 15th of the month, and I scored a 669 (NY has a slightly different pass score system. You need to score "greater than 75" [whatever that means], and mine was 88).

I inherited all study materials and paid $0. I used 2006 Psychprep study guides + CDs + exams, AR 2010 exams, and Retired Items. I found psychprep guides to be the most reflective of the materials seen on the actual test, and it's just the right amount of info (AR and AATBs were too detailed). I listened to the CDs on my way to work (oh Sharon and I have become the best of friends!). I work 40+ hrs/wk so studying was my part-time job. I averaged maybe 5-6 hrs/wk in first 2 months which increased to 8 hrs (5-6 hrs on weekends, 1-2 hrs spread out after work on weeknights) in the next 2 months. In the final month, I put in 15 hrs/wk and went through as many AR questions as I could. I would HIGHLY recommend taking off the day (or if you can afford to, DAYS) from work before the exam so you can get a massage, relax, recuperate and be mentally and emotionally ready for the exam.

Practice scores:
First round on Psychprep: Test A=53%, the rest in mid 60's
Second round of Psychprep: low/mid 80's
Third round (excessive, but to boost my self-esteem at the end): low 90's
AATBS #1 (2 wks before EPPP): 70%
AR#1 2006 (a month before EPPP): 64%; AR 2010 #2-5: low/mid 70's.
Retired items (2 weeks before EPPP): 82% (get these items!! it's a pretty good estimate of your pass rate. Need to get above 70)

I did not walk out of the test feeling like I failed, but I didn't think I passed for sure either. I saw questions from AR and Psychprep. And then there were the oddball questions that you have no clue about. The majority were the ones where you get down to 2 choices and you hope that you picked the right one. Best advice I got was to trust your initial instincts, UNLESS when you re-read it, you realized you misread the question or answers. Many times on my practice test, I would change the answer and then I was wrong.

For a few months, your life sucks, and you start doubting all that you've learned in your program. But you take it, you will eventually pass, and then it's over. I attended a pretty solid APA-accredited middle of the road (half clinical, half research) PhD program, but I definitely learned new stuff from studying the EPPP. The test kind of brought me back to ugrad days when you get exposed to the wide spectrum of psychology, as opposed to the narrow clinical/abnormal stuff we do on a day to day basis post grad school.

Good luck on your final hurdle, everyone! :)

Hello,

I was wondering if you still have access to the EPPP study materials?

Looking for any help or advice out there as I am starting to freak out a bit... this test is really getting into my head!

I failed my first attempt at the beast in May with a 485. I took the PEPPP two days ago and came out with a 420. I'm scheduled to sit for the EPPP in oh, about a week - and I'm not sure if I should 1) study until my head falls off and hope for the best, or 2) reschedule.

I really don't think I can stomach failing the thing twice, and not to mention the cost. Help...?

Yes Pragma...I got the same. It was a nightmare test in terms of the vocabulary used and the focus on medication specific to population, multicultural psychology I did not study AT ALL, and questions related to specific studies. I even had questions on EigeXXXXXXX. It was definitely NOT a throw away ease test. I got VERY FEW basic theoretical questions. I used every minute allowed and then some. Failed by 2 points on standard score. So demoralized and heartbroken.

I think you and I took the same test. (I'm having flashbacks...) I felt like I didn't recognize at least half of the questions!

Looking for any help or advice out there as I am starting to freak out a bit... this test is really getting into my head!

I failed my first attempt at the beast in May with a 485. I took the PEPPP two days ago and came out with a 420. I'm scheduled to sit for the EPPP in oh, about a week - and I'm not sure if I should 1) study until my head falls off and hope for the best, or 2) reschedule.

I really don't think I can stomach failing the thing twice, and not to mention the cost. Help...?

If you can't stomach failing again, I might wait until you feel more confident. Or keep the date if you think your confidence will dramatically improve with a week left to study. I would want to go into the test with a "bring it on" rather than "I hope I don't fail" attitude.

This test is not at all a reflection of your competence or ability. You've already got through grad school. That means you're a badass.

Does anyone know how to convert my EPPP Score to a percentage?

I know they say a 500 is 70%, but 500 out of 800 is really 62.5%. Plus if there's different versions of the test (easy vs hard), is there really a way to figure it out? I just want to see how my practice test scores compare to the real thing.

Thanks!

Does anyone know how to convert my EPPP Score to a percentage?

I know they say a 500 is 70%, but 500 out of 800 is really 62.5%. Plus if there's different versions of the test (easy vs hard), is there really a way to figure it out? I just want to see how my practice test scores compare to the real thing.

Thanks!
500 is not exactly 70%, that's an estimate. There are multiple forms of the test which vary in difficulty and the averages are weighted. On a harder form of the test you may only need 65% to get a 500, on an easier form you may need 75%. I don't think we are meant to be able to reverse-engineer our scores in that manner.

I took the EPPP for the first time recently, and I used the Psych Prep materials. I studied for probably 100 hours total, primarily in the 3 weeks prior to the exam, and was getting scores in the mid 60's/low 70's on most of the practice tests. I ended up with a standard score in the mid-600's on the exam itself.

I have to say that I was surprised by the difficulty of the actual exam. A lot of the material was completely foreign to me, and of the material that I had actually studied, a lot less of it appeared on the exam than I would have expected. There were also quite a few questions on the test that dealt with concepts that I happened to know, but that I wouldn't consider to be a standard part of training - things that seemed to come out of left field, for lack of a better description.

Excited to say that I just passed on the first try! I had heard from many others that they felt the test was noticeably easier than practice exams, but for me it felt at least comparable to the practice tests I had been taking. Leaving the test I felt like I had passed but thought it would be close; my score actually turned out to be above 700 (wow, didn't see that coming). As psychRA said, I saw a decent bit of foreign material, but I also got a few questions that I'd seen practically verbatim on practice tests. I think the first 5 questions of the test were totally out of left field for me, which was anxiety provoking.

As for my study regimen, I started studying in earnest probably a little over 2 months before the actual test. Probably spent about 80 hours total studying. I started reviewing AATBS books but that was mind-numbing and I didn't feel like I was retaining anything, so I stopped. From there on I pretty much just did practice tests (probably a dozen of them). Started out scoring in the mid 60s, was consistently in the low-to-mid 70s by the last few weeks. I retook 3 or 4 practice tests and scored around 80% on those. I also had some hand-me-down audio CDs that I listened to on my way to and from work - I do think those were worthwhile, especially for the practice questions.

I really think going through as many practice tests as I did was very helpful - not just for the knowledge but to learn test taking strategies. Knowing how to eliminate bad answers can be just as important as identifying good ones. Despite my high score, I marked a little less than half of my test items for review because I truly wasn't sure of an answer. On most of those, though, I was able to eliminate at least 1 or 2 responses which greatly increased my odds of answering correctly. There were just a handful that were true guesses.

Overall, it was just as stressful as advertised and I'm glad to be done with that cursed test.

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories. I am scheduled to sit for the EPPP in two days. I have been studying since late April using the AATBS program (seminars, books, cards, and online tests). I've taken 8 practice tests and a final. 1st score was a 60% and final was 76%. However, I have been focusing more on understanding concepts because it feels like there's too much material to commit to rote memory, and have never felt sure of what I would get when taking the AATBS practice exams. I was feeling good until scoring 500 on the in-test-center PEPPP yesterday, with my lowest score in Growth and Lifespan. I do recommend taking the PEPPP and going to a test center will help me to feel less anxious on test day. The questions seemed less straight forward that the AATBS tests, but maybe that's because I've taken so many of them. I am glad I passed but was hoping to do better. Now I'm a little worried and thinking about moving the test date back a day or two (to a test center that's farther) to buy some more study time. It seems the general feedback is that people are doing much better on the actual EPPP than on practice tests and the PEPPP. Am I over reacting? I haven't really been using the AATBS flashcards and am thinking to focus on those until test time and to brush up on Lifespan as well.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for sharing your stories. I am scheduled to sit for the EPPP in two days. I have been studying since late April using the AATBS program (seminars, books, cards, and online tests). I've taken 8 practice tests and a final. 1st score was a 60% and final was 76%. However, I have been focusing more on understanding concepts because it feels like there's too much material to commit to rote memory, and have never felt sure of what I would get when taking the AATBS practice exams. I was feeling good until scoring 500 on the in-test-center PEPPP yesterday, with my lowest score in Growth and Lifespan. I do recommend taking the PEPPP and going to a test center will help me to feel less anxious on test day. The questions seemed less straight forward that the AATBS tests, but maybe that's because I've taken so many of them. I am glad I passed but was hoping to do better. Now I'm a little worried and thinking about moving the test date back a day or two (to a test center that's farther) to buy some more study time. It seems the general feedback is that people are doing much better on the actual EPPP than on practice tests and the PEPPP. Am I over reacting? I haven't really been using the AATBS flashcards and am thinking to focus on those until test time and to brush up on Lifespan as well.

Based on your preparation, I'd think you're ready. I probably wouldn't move the date back if I were you. I mean, you've probably been studying for months, right? How much extra knowledge are you going to gain in a couple of days anyway? I didn't take the PEPPO but from what I've heard, it's harder than the actual thing. I think all of the objective indicators point toward you passing.

Based on your preparation, I'd think you're ready. I probably wouldn't move the date back if I were you. I mean, you've probably been studying for months, right? How much extra knowledge are you going to gain in a couple of days anyway? I didn't take the PEPPO but from what I've heard, it's harder than the actual thing. I think all of the objective indicators point toward you passing.
Thanks for your thoughts! I've probably put in ~150 hrs, and am not sure how much more I can absorb at this point...

Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughts! I've probably put in ~150 hrs, and am not sure how much more I can absorb at this point...

I agree, everyone I've heard of that scores in the 70s on AATBS stuff has absolutely crushed the EPPP. I passed comfortably and never got scores that high on AATBS.

I agree, everyone I've heard of that scores in the 70s on AATBS stuff has absolutely crushed the EPPP. I passed comfortably and never got scores that high on AATBS.
Appreciate your note! I should add, my scores included two 69%'s and were mostly in the 72-73% range...Hoping for the best...

So, good news. I passed today with a little room to spare. Whew! Appreciate all the support and this thread/site. A few additional thoughts having taken the test. Definitely try to get some rest, if it's possible. I definitely became more fatigued as the test wore on. Also, I'd still recommend taking the PEPPP in a test center if you have any sort of test anxiety. Getting a sense of question wording and knowing how to navigate the test helped me to feel considerably more comfortable today. I'd just recommend taking it at least a week or two before your scheduled exam, if the results might cause panic, as they did with me...

Last edited:
I want to wish everyone congratulations on passing their EPPP, and condolences on those who didn't. I found reading the posts here was more often helpful than anxiety-provoking, but I especially found thorough, accurate reporting to be the most grounding to read about. Thank you.

I took my EPPP this afternoon for the first time, and passed with a 591 (NY converted: 82). While this wasn't a high-performance score, it was all the room I needed. As a fast test-taker, I'm happy to say I finished the test with 70 minutes to spare.

I used PsychPrep, and I found the people there to be incredibly helpful. PsychPrep is also great because there is less reading, and given the dry nature of the material, I really needed that.

People's experiences will vary incredibly in beating this test, but I'm here to share mine, as well as to report my data in preparing to take the EPPP, in hopes it will inspire/guide others to find a balance between their way of studying and succeeding and the recommended way.

Note, also, that I was dormant for a two-month+ period due to rage, despair, and boredom with studying and a job search. So, warts and all, I am sharing my story.

I am going to upload my Weekly Test Diary so you can see just what I did every week (based on the PsychPrep materials), and there is some commentary on what I did every day. I am also uploading my scores on the practice tests so you will see exactly how I was performing on those leading up to the test.

I just wanted to say a few other things before I send you to my files (especially PsychPrep users dying for practice test data). Feel free to skip if you're just looking for some info on how other people did leading up to a passing score.

1) After scoring above the target range for the final practice test, I had more to do, but I took the test sooner than I was planning, paying the 90 bucks to take a slot 1.5 weeks earlier. I was approaching a point of exhaustion with the material, where I noticed my excitement/determination waning a bit. I wanted to strike while the iron was hot. I had a colleague who did the same thing. I'm not suggesting this, just offering it as something you may find yourself doing. You might also decide to add more time to your studying.

2) I think the weekend workshop really did boost my scores. As did reporting all of my practice test results to Psych Prep.

3) Will the questions be easier on the real thing? Harder? I found them to be both easier and harder, depending on the question. The more important part is (surprise) how your mind works (...psychology!). For me, I had some moments of despair as I went, as I expected. I was trembling a little bit while I waited for my print out. But I passed!! I think the final words of advice from my PsychPrep consultant--that I could expect to feel pretty clobbered by the exam on exam day and that I might feel unfamiliar with the material, but that I should continue to maintain my composure and push forward--really helped me.

4) I definitely felt fatigued at points during the test, what with having taken a practice test that morning. I took one very short break to stretch, restroom out, take some gulps of water, and change my nicotine gum. I found taking a short break helped.

5) On an interesting note, the Pearson testing program I had allows you to strikethrough answers. About ten questions in I decided to use it to help me visually eliminate questions I was sure were incorrect. I feel this really helped, especially in terms of maximizing the utility of "flagging" questions. Whenever I flagged a question, I could return to a question I'd already eliminated answers on and take a fresh look at the remaining possibilities, which saved me some time.

6) I really found that after taking the practice test, going over every item, covering the answers first and coming up with an answer, and talking through why it was the right answer, then going over the rationale, got me really far. So, taking practice tests is incredibly helpful, and re-taking them by means of covering the answers and trying again, is awesome.

7) Youtube can help. Especially there are some decent 10 minute Khan School videos that go over Vygotsky, Freud, Kohlberg, Piaget, and Erickson that I highly recommend.

I hope this helps, and I wish everyone the best of luck in beating this damn thing.

Attachments

• Test Diary_7.28.docx
    154.2 KB · Views: 76
  • EPPP Weekly Calendar.docx
    104.9 KB · Views: 67
Hi All-
I am taking the EPPP at the end of the month and am wondering if anyone has feedback regarding practice test scores. I have been using psych prep and academic review practice tests. On my psych prep tests, I have not been able to make it into the 60%'s on my first pass on the practice tests (scoring mid-high 50s). When I retake the tests, I am scoring in the 80%'s. On academic review, I score in the 60% range on my first pass. I was hoping to hit the 70% mark this weekend because I have been hitting close to that mark on my AR tests (69% last week), but for some reason I scored lower than I have in the past few weeks percentage wise (8% lower). I wanted to get feedback re: first pass versus retake scores because I am feeling very defeated by my first pass scores staying stagnant. I am not worried about test anxiety, only knowing the material and ensuring I don't trip myself up with the wording of the questions and not going with my gut when I know the answer. If you only used practice tests, did you supplement with anything simple in the final weeks to help? Did anyone have this experience?

Hi All-
I am taking the EPPP at the end of the month and am wondering if anyone has feedback regarding practice test scores. I have been using psych prep and academic review practice tests. On my psych prep tests, I have not been able to make it into the 60%'s on my first pass on the practice tests (scoring mid-high 50s). When I retake the tests, I am scoring in the 80%'s. On academic review, I score in the 60% range on my first pass. I was hoping to hit the 70% mark this weekend because I have been hitting close to that mark on my AR tests (69% last week), but for some reason I scored lower than I have in the past few weeks percentage wise (8% lower). I wanted to get feedback re: first pass versus retake scores because I am feeling very defeated by my first pass scores staying stagnant. I am not worried about test anxiety, only knowing the material and ensuring I don't trip myself up with the wording of the questions and not going with my gut when I know the answer. If you only used practice tests, did you supplement with anything simple in the final weeks to help? Did anyone have this experience?

This thread, if read in its entirety, is a very rich source of information.
Essentially, other people have supplemented with nothing through to intensive in-person courses, and everything in between. In most of these posted cases, the EPPP takers managed to pass.
It's all about doing what you feel is necessary to succeed.

Hi All-

I'd be a little concerned about not being in the 60s yet on PsychPrep tests-- Have you been corresponding with the PsychPrep people for feedback? They will tell you if they think you need to postpone.

Did you buy any study materials? Or get old materials from a friend? You're doing fine on retakes, so my guess is that the problem is that you haven't reviewed any of the materials... So you're learning it for the very first time on practice tests. I'd find some prep materials and read it over once, if I were you. Materials from any of the test prep companies should be fine. You could also use flashcard apps-- I didn't, so I don't know how they work.

Hi All-
As I prepared, my scores slowly improved. it was slower than I liked and at times I worried that i wasn't improving. Getting over 70 or so on any tests is probably good enough. I was a bit anxious so I pushed it to 80 and scored way higher than I need to. :D
If you are not making progress, change something up. I used several different strategies and modalities of learning, including flashcards, giving the question from the answer, explaining concepts to my bored wife, creating mnemonics, reading, listening to audio, writing notes on stuff. I went total overkill on it because I felt like my whole career was riding on it. High-stakes testing.

As I prepared, my scores slowly improved. it was slower than I liked and at times I worried that i wasn't improving. Getting over 70 or so on any tests is probably good enough. I was a bit anxious so I pushed it to 80 and scored way higher than I need to. :D
If you are not making progress, change something up. I used several different strategies and modalities of learning, including flashcards, giving the question from the answer, explaining concepts to my bored wife, creating mnemonics, reading, listening to audio, writing notes on stuff. I went total overkill on it because I felt like my whole career was riding on it. High-stakes testing.
Thanks! I've been supplementing with the psych prep cds. I've listened to all of them and have started to review the areas I struggle in most. I am definitely going to start adding different material to switch things up since my base scores on the psych prep tests have stayed stagnant for the past two tests. I appreciate the feedback.

I'd be a little concerned about not being in the 60s yet on PsychPrep tests-- Have you been corresponding with the PsychPrep people for feedback? They will tell you if they think you need to postpone.

Did you buy any study materials? Or get old materials from a friend? You're doing fine on retakes, so my guess is that the problem is that you haven't reviewed any of the materials... So you're learning it for the very first time on practice tests. I'd find some prep materials and read it over once, if I were you. Materials from any of the test prep companies should be fine. You could also use flashcard apps-- I didn't, so I don't know how they work.

I have the psych prep cds, old AATBS materials (2012 books/flashcards) and new academic review online material. I've already listened to all the psych prep cds, and I've begun reviewing specific areas. I score much higher (mid-high 70%) when I take the psych prep chapter quizzes, so it's weird that my test scores have been so low. I'm definitely going to start reviewing the old AATBS books. I have started to feel overwhelmed by the amount of material and wonder if focusing on the questions I got wrong and the rationales is the way to go as to not overwhelm myself in the four weeks of studying I have left. I appreciate your questions and feedback.

Break it down by sections or topics so you don't get overwhelmed. Also, creating heirarchical structures is helpful for learning.
For example, main topic then either main theories or theorists then the main points from each main theory or theorist. I still remember a few names and topics from I/O for example but not too much from the next level but could refresh that pretty easy because the structure is in memory already. Typically study materials are already laid out that way somewhat, but I like to make my own simpler versions without all the text to help with rote learning.

Reactions: 1 users