PhD/PsyD EPPP passing score depending on location

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madminx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I apply for licensure in a state that requires 500 to pass, but take the EPPP in a state that requires 550 to pass, do I need to get 500 or 550 to pass?

Members don't see this ad.

if you're only going to practice in a state that requires a 500, all you need is 500 no matter where you take the test.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There are currently NO STATES that require anything other than a 500 score to pass. States may have their own scales, but passing is equivalent to 500 everywhere. There have long been rumors (maybe they used to be true) that some states had higher cut scores. This is not true as of my writing this. Check out this quote from from the EPPP Candidate Handbook (May 2017 version):

"As noted, the ASPPB recommended passing scores are set at 500 for independent practice and 450 for supervised practice. However, each board sets the standard for passing in its respective state, province or territory and reports the result to the candidates. At the present time, all jurisdictions accept the ASPPB recommended passing score for independent practice, but there is some variation among jurisdictions regarding the passing score for supervised practice." (http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.asppb.net/resource/resmgr/eppp_/EPPP_Cand-Handbook-May_23,_2.pdf)​

There are currently NO STATES that require anything other than a 500 score to pass. States may have their own scales, but passing is equivalent to 500 everywhere. There have long been rumors (maybe they used to be true) that some states had higher cut scores. This is not true as of my writing this. Check out this quote from from the EPPP Candidate Handbook (May 2017 version):

"As noted, the ASPPB recommended passing scores are set at 500 for independent practice and 450 for supervised practice. However, each board sets the standard for passing in its respective state, province or territory and reports the result to the candidates. At the present time, all jurisdictions accept the ASPPB recommended passing score for independent practice, but there is some variation among jurisdictions regarding the passing score for supervised practice." (http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.asppb.net/resource/resmgr/eppp_/EPPP_Cand-Handbook-May_23,_2.pdf)​
Thank you, very helpful. I also found this:
Why NY Requires a Higher EPPP Score? - Modern Psychologist