Epic EHR on iPad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HurricaneKatt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
All of the threads I found searching this were old. Just wondering for those who has used iPads to access Epic EHR - what did you think of the interface? Does it give you full access to the normal features, or is it a "mobile site" or app type interface?

Members don't see this ad.

I've done it two ways. I can remotely log in through Citrix, which gives me the same functionality I can get logging into the computer but is a little clunky (but still usable) on my iPad.

Or I can log into the Epic Canto app, which is easier to navigate but lacks many of the functions I need, particularly order entry and the ability to view imaging.

Reactions: 1 user
Clunky in what way?

I'm thinking about getting one so I can chart on the go and put in orders and such as we round. Also, our laptops are old and buggy and we can't get Citrix to download so I'd be able to use the iPad to finish up charts at home instead of staying at the hospital all night (like my husband is doing right now).

It's functional enough that I can use it to put in orders, and I have done that when rounding. It's slow enough for writing notes that I bought a $200 laptop to use at home for that purpose, but I also don't have an external keyboard for my iPad.

Do not buy an iPad for the purpose of charting. It's slow takes about 5 times as long to write a note or put in an order. I'll use it if I can't get easy completely access but it's last resort. Cheap laptop would be a better use of your money.

What makes it take so long? We will both eventually get new laptops but right now need something to use at home (we will definitely have a keyboard for it) in the meanwhile, AND I want something that I can enter stuff into the chart and put in orders while we are rounding. It will also be my eReader replacement since my old nook died (RIP nook) and I know I can download both kindle and nook apps.

What makes it take so long? We will both eventually get new laptops but right now need something to use at home (we will definitely have a keyboard for it) in the meanwhile, AND I want something that I can enter stuff into the chart and put in orders while we are rounding. It will also be my eReader replacement since my old nook died (RIP nook) and I know I can download both kindle and nook apps.
I have no idea why it's so slow but there is a longer lag between clicks than from a computer and you can't flip back and forth between labs, radiology, and notes like on desktop. I can put in an order or two in patients while rounding if wifi connection is excellent. If it gets lost you have to log back into the entire epic program. So walking from floor to floor might lose connection. It is nice for reviewing labs and notes on rounds but not so much inputting data.

Hmm thanks for the input guys.

I used Epic on an iPad as a resident. It was with Citrix. I thought it was helpful to our team. I pulled up labs while we were rounding as a senior resident. Not related to Epic - I pulled up journal articles during rounds as well.

Using Citrix app to access epic on iPad- used the first generation iPad Pro 12.9 inch. Used with Citrix mouse as well and I did not notice any lag or issues like that. I have yet to write a full note yet or pend it but will report back.

Biggest complaint with the first day was walking around the hospital sometimes while on epic through Citrix app screen would go black and then I would have to close the window and disconnect from epic via Citrix and then log back in. I was on the hospital network and also tried tethering to phone as well and issues still occurred. If I stayed in one place then I didn't have any issues, occurred on some floors but stayed consistent on others so more trouble shooting needed.
On my laptop on hospital network I can walk around and I have no issues with epic staying connected via Citrix app on computer at all.

Another complaint is the touch login function only works for the first time logging into epic from Citrix. If epic goes to sleep and logs u off and drops you back to just Citrix receiver screen you have to retype in login.

Rounding with the ability to look live at results and vitals pretty much removes any need to use paper which was great.

Purchased the newest iPad Pro 10.5 inch, had the Logitech slim combo and the citrix mouse. Used the citrix receiver to access epic. My hospital doesn't have canto yet.

Ultimately, I am not satisfied with using an iPad as my main way to conduct work and round on patients.
The iPad likely has the capabilities to work flawlessly but due to the limitations of citrix receiver I presume, it just doesn't work well. It is much slower at responding to commands, much more difficult with entering notes and looking at results. Never found a way for EKG or PACS images to open through the citrix receiver well. It continued at times to freeze or go slow when changing through the different patients or areas of epic.

I have switched to a 2-1 laptop that weights about 2 lbs and this thing just works better with epic. I can still flip it around and use a stylus to write or just carry it folded back on itself to review labs at bedside and also pull up PACS to show the patient their imaging results.

The iPad Pro is amazing and so much faster then previous but when it interacts with citrix and epic its just too slow and unreliable for the time being.

My med school allowed us to use Citrix to access Epic on our iPads. This is literally the normal Epic you see on a computer, but on your screen. There is a feature where you see the mouse and "scroll" across the screen with your finger to move the mouse (the mouse doesn't go where your finger is, just moves the direction your finger moves). Actually worked pretty well. Still somewhat clunky and not great for data input, but theoretically you can do everything.

My hospital now has Canto which is more like an "app". Easier to see stuff but limited (like others said, no orders, images, etc).

I actually bought a $200 Chromebook for hospital use. Water resistant, drop resistant, 10 hour battery life, 12", 2.5 pounds, etc. Best of both worlds. If you want to spend a little more, you can get one that folds on itself and it touch screen. I think this is the most practical option.