Entering future school specific required courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bears1992

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a DIY postbac at my local state school. A few schools that I am applying to have prereqs that my local state school doesn't offer (see below).

Anatomy
Biomed (1)
Biomed (2)
Biochemistry
Zoology I
Zoology II

On my primary, I see where each school is telling me to select the classes that fulfill their prereqs. The nearest school that offers these classes is an hour and a half from me and I really don't want to take them unless it is part of an acceptance. Will I need to list these courses as future or can I leave a school specific prereq blank on my primary? Also if I list them as future, will a school expect me to complete them even if they are not a prereq for that school?

I don't want to list all of these courses as future if a school I get accepted to doesn't require them. I'm currently working full time as an engineer and I can't manage all of these classes so I would prefer to only take the ones I need.

-Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the same boat as far as biochemistry and am not sure what to do, either. The impression I'm getting is that you can just leave it off and take the course if you've been accepted. As long as you're not missing several courses for one school it shouldn't hurt you. There may be a better way to do this that I haven't figured out yet, though.

Now: What school requires zoology?? And what exactly is a "Biomed" course; sounds kind of vague for a pre-req?

I entered prereqs for over 20 schools and haven't seen anything called biomed. Also, some of the schools have biology listed as bio/zoology but none that specifically require zoology. Either course will satisfy their requirements. They may list lots of recommended courses but they aren't all required.

If it's a single class you just mark that prereq as not taken and that's it. Schools may not care or may require you to take it before matriculation. You may want to call the schools and ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
VCOM says it requires 6 credits of 300 level or above biomedical courses before matriculation. PNWU requires 12 biology/zoology course. I have the 8 biology credits from bio 1 and 2 but I'm still 4 short. What other class besides Zoology would fill these 4 credits? My local state school has microbiology, would that count towards the 4 credits I need?

VCOM says it requires 6 credits of 300 level or above biomedical courses before matriculation. PNWU requires 12 biology/zoology course. I have the 8 biology credits from bio 1 and 2 but I'm still 4 short. What other class besides Zoology would fill these 4 credits? My local state school has microbiology, would that count towards the 4 credits I need?
Yep! And if you're still missing some credits for VCOM I would just look into your local school's catalogue and check out any upper-level bio classes, maybe genetics?

They don't offer any 3000 or 4000 level life science classes. They are only a state school because of their nursing program. I would be happy to take those classes at my Uni an hour and a half away, I would just hate to quit work to take them only to get denied an interview at VCOM after doing so.

Will I need to list these courses as future or can I leave a school specific prereq blank on my primary?

The school will not let you submit in the primary if it is blank. The application will remain incomplete. List them on future courses on your primary (Fall 2017, Spring 2018). If you get accepted to school that requires the pre-req you just need to complete with passing grade before matriculating (so Spring 2018, Summer 2018).

Also if I list them as future, will a school expect me to complete them even if they are not a prereq for that school?

No but you do need to call and confirm after acceptance. A couple individuals in my class listed pursuing a masters while applying and dropped it after getting accepted in the fall. They just called admissions before not taking the class.

Reactions: 1 user
Just a heads up OP, I'm not sure if AACOMAS is different on this, but I got an answer from gonnif regarding adding future courses in AMCAS:

prereqs are not typically checked for fulfillment during the admissions process. They are checked after you have taken an offer of acceptance during prematriculation. There is no need to add it to AMCAS nor do I advise to not future courses

On the AACOMAS application, I have selected the "not adding any courses to this pre-req" option and it shows as having completed the program materials.