ENT Otoscope Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LPKR2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a 3rd year Internal Medicine resident and I had a question for you ENT folks. I wanted to invest into a good Otoscope/Ophtalmoscope combination set to use in primary practice after residency. I still have about a $600 budget in CME funding that I wanted to use towards this. I was wondering if anybody can give me recommendation as to a brand and type of reliable and well functioning Otoscope to purchase, that will work for me in primary care. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Seriously: You will be going to a practice that does not already have these instruments on the wall and you will have to buy them? If you really must own one (I don't), buy one made by Welch Allyn. I think they make the best ones, and they will be durable. My mother has had a functional one for about 20 years now.

But let's be frank. No real work will be done with the ophthalmoscope other than checking pupillary reflex and seeing if a kid's eye looks white. To get any real work done, you have dilate the pupil. I suspect not standard practice in an office other than ophthalmology. Since I can never find the insufflator bulbs in my own office, the hand held otoscope in our SMR just ends up being used to identify wax before I move in the microscope to remove it. Sigh.

Buy some good books or see if you can use it toward some exam or course.