enfolded "fellowships"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluebubbles

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Generally "research time" is "elective time"--some people use it for research, some use it for clinical.

Typically the institution will want you to stay in house for electives, but there are exceptions. A few weeks of away elective is very different from three months or more of away elective. Some programs don't allow you to go away at all (or use your vacation for it), while others are not so rigid.

I have seen people do what you're proposing--dedicate a full year to brachytherapy for example and come out as a full time brachytherapist. Your ability to do this will depend on the program--mostly their flexibility and what expertise they have in house.

Very program-dependent. In mine, we had to do 12 months of bench research, no exceptions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which I'm sure has served you well in pp lol.

It's unfortunate that some programs are that rigid in their structure....
Ha yep. It did convince me once and for all that I dislike moving tiny quantities of liquid around all day long.

Reactions: 2 users
Due to an oversight in retrospect on my program director's part, I was able to avoid the 6 month research stint and get a full 4 years of clinical training in residency. I felt really well prepared upon residency graduation, and also being part of the last year of residents able to graduate fully board certified before residency was over (they should bring that back IMHO) didn't hurt my confidence level either. One thing I've never heard is someone say "My year of research in residency helped me so much in taking care of patients," although I bet someone somewhere has said it. At the end of the day however, as a resident, it doesn't matter what you hate or like if the powers that be hate or like things different than you. But "Good luck with that!" as the kids say.