Endodontics 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm a Penn D4. None of the comments about Penn above are true. Penn is not sponsored hence you get to use whatever you want. The residents are not restricted to BC and use various sealers and techniques. UG do not use BC single cone. Residents are booked out in advance and busy.

My apologies if I sounded offensive. I visited Penn endo program recently for couple days and talked to the residents there and was just trying to tell you all what I observed. I may have gotten the wrong information regarding UG clinic - so I apologize.
The reason why I said they are "practically sponsored" by Brasseler is because they are not "restricted" to use BC sealer, but the curriculum revolves around it and 95% of the cases are done using BC sealer single cone technique.
Tell me, if your program director/chairman are people involved in making Brasseler products and perform research studies biased towards BC sealer, would you, as a resident, tell them that they are wrong and use something else? I am aware that they do have requirements for warm vertical and cold lateral, but it was something like doing couple cases at most.
Continuing on, they are indeed busy during the grant period which lasts couple months each year, but when the grant ends, patient flow decreases significantly and residents are no longer busy.
Just my observations.

Here's my 0.02c:
I completed a week-long externship at UPenn endo program ~1.5 years ago.
The facility is amazing and the faculty was really great (especially Dr. Kratchman, who is phenomenal at surgery). It seemed like they have a great alumni system as well. I did see that the residents mainly use BC sealer as obturation method, but they do a lot of literature reviews to compare other products.
Due to lack of long-term studies, it's too early to determine whether BC sealer obturation method is superior/inferior to any other obturation methods. In theory, it does have an extreme charm to it though (hydrophilic, expansion, convenience, etc). One of the main concern at the moment is probably the retreatability, but time will tell.
I'm currently in an endo residency, and my advice to you guys is that residency is what YOU make out of it. If you want to practice other methods and try other products, don't hesitate and be open-minded... Residency will be the perfect time to do so. I don't think any program, unless they are OFFICIALLY sponsored, will prevent you from trying other products/methods.

Premac

Members don't see this ad.

My apologies if I sounded offensive. I visited Penn endo program recently for couple days and talked to the residents there and was just trying to tell you all what I observed. I may have gotten the wrong information regarding UG clinic - so I apologize.
The reason why I said they are "practically sponsored" by Brasseler is because they are not "restricted" to use BC sealer, but the curriculum revolves around it and 95% of the cases are done using BC sealer single cone technique.
Tell me, if your program director/chairman are people involved in making Brasseler products and perform research studies biased towards BC sealer, would you, as a resident, tell them that they are wrong and use something else? I am aware that they do have requirements for warm vertical and cold lateral, but it was something like doing couple cases at most.
Continuing on, they are indeed busy during the grant period which lasts couple months each year, but when the grant ends, patient flow decreases significantly and residents are no longer busy.
Just my observations.

No harm done. Just stating facts.
It's true they use a lot of BC, but 95% is a bit overexaggerated.
Sure some faculty are involved with Brasseler, but I've not seen any residents uncomfortable getting other products. They simply ask what they want to try.
So far as patient flow decreasing once the grant ends, I've not heard residents mention that it affects patient flow significantly (although it does have some effect with UG).
@premac kind of said the rest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats an expensive offer to take if they have other interviews.
yeah it is, but would you run the risk of saying no and going to other interviews and possibly not getting in? Or would you take the spot then go to your other interviews and then tell UOP sorry took another offer after all? Thats the tough thing with endo interviews

yeah it is, but would you run the risk of saying no and going to other interviews and possibly not getting in? Or would you take the spot then go to your other interviews and then tell UOP sorry took another offer after all? Thats the tough thing with endo interviews

Just not sure $220,000 in tuition plus the cost of living in San Fran for 2 years is worth it vs. not getting in elsewhere and waiting a year to owe much less in loans. Obviously everyone has a different situation.

Any other interview invites recently? Seems like this cycle is done inviting people....:(

Loma Linda University
University of California at Los Angeles
University of California at San Francisco - July 25, August 8 email
University of Southern California - July 18, July 31 Aug 14 email
University of the Pacific- July 27 (phone)

University of Connecticut
Nova Southeastern University 7/17, 7/31
University of Florida: 7/27 and 7/28
Georgia Regents University-July 31st, email
University of Illinois at Chicago - July 27, Aug 7 email
Indiana University, July 31st, email
University of Iowa: July 28 (phone)
University of Louisville: July 7th or July 24 (phone)
Louisiana State University(email) August 4th

University of Maryland
Boston University August 17
Harvard University: 7/28 (phone)
Tufts University July 31, Aug 1, 2, 3 (email)
University of Detroit Mercy
University of Michigan, Aug 7 (email)
University of Minnesota, July 24 (email)
Saint Louis University- July 10th (phone)
University of Missouri Kansas-City - July 19 email
University of Nebraska - August 11 email

Rutgers School of Dental Medicine: July 31 phone
Columbia University : August 8,9,15,16,17 -email
Lutheran Medical Center - August 3rd or 4th-email
New York University- August 1st, August 8 email

State University of New York at Stony Brook
University at Buffalo, The State University of New York - August 16, 18th, and 28th, email
University of North Carolina - July 24(email)

Case Western Reserve University
Ohio State University
Oregon Health & Science University - August 2 or 3, email
Albert Einstein Medical Center-July 27 email

Temple University 8/4 and 8/7
University of Pennsylvania
University of Pittsburgh - July 25, email
Medical University of South Carolina (July 24)

University of Tennessee Health Science Center: July 11
Texas A&M University Baylor College of Dentistry- July 17th, (phone)
University of Texas at Houston 8/1
University of Texas at San Antonio 8/4
Virginia Commonwealth University-August 2, email
University of Washington - July 17 or 19, phone
West Virginia University- July 28th
Marquette University - August 1, 2, and 4, phone
VA New York-July 31st-email

That's the endless debate. I had another interview Friday and the residents were discussing it and again said absolutely do not do it that the community is small and it's a big risk. The director told me there is a meeting next month where the directors will discuss changing the system, but it didn't sound promising and obviously that doesn't help us this year.

What does one mean by risk?? Do they take away the acceptance??

Loma Linda University
University of California at Los Angeles
University of California at San Francisco - July 25, August 8 email
University of Southern California - July 18, July 31 Aug 14 email
University of the Pacific- July 27 (phone)

University of Connecticut
Nova Southeastern University 7/17, 7/31
University of Florida: 7/27 and 7/28
Georgia Regents University-July 31st, email
University of Illinois at Chicago - July 27, Aug 7 email
Indiana University, July 31st, email
University of Iowa: July 28 (phone)
University of Louisville: July 7th or July 24 (phone)
Louisiana State University(email) August 4th

University of Maryland
Boston University August 17
Harvard University: 7/28 (phone)
Tufts University July 31, Aug 1, 2, 3 (email)
University of Detroit Mercy
University of Michigan, Aug 7 (email)
University of Minnesota, July 24 (email)
Saint Louis University- July 10th (phone)
University of Missouri Kansas-City - July 19 email
University of Nebraska - August 11 email

Rutgers School of Dental Medicine: July 31 phone
Columbia University : August 8,9,15,16,17 -email
Lutheran Medical Center - August 3rd or 4th-email
New York University- August 1st, August 8 email

State University of New York at Stony Brook
University at Buffalo, The State University of New York - August 16, 18th, and 28th, email
University of North Carolina - July 24(email)

Case Western Reserve University
Ohio State University-(positions offered)
Oregon Health & Science University - August 2 or 3, email
Albert Einstein Medical Center-July 27 email

Temple University 8/4 and 8/7
University of Pennsylvania
University of Pittsburgh - July 25, email
Medical University of South Carolina (July 24)

University of Tennessee Health Science Center: July 11
Texas A&M University Baylor College of Dentistry- July 17th, (phone)
University of Texas at Houston 8/1
University of Texas at San Antonio 8/4
Virginia Commonwealth University-August 2, email
University of Washington - July 17 or 19, phone
West Virginia University- July 28th
Marquette University - August 1, 2, and 4, phone
VA New York-July 31st-email

From what I know....unc, Pitt, nova, UF, einstein, are done
Stony brook interview August 8 (email)
Temple gave another round of interviews Aug 7 (email)
I heard Michigan has two interview dates aug 7 and 8 but I'm not entirely sure

Members don't see this ad :)
If they find out you're being dishonest
Yes, I spoke to a program director last week...he said his personal opinion is that going to another interview while already keeping an offer is a bit dishonest. He said he suspects a lot of people do it though. He doesn't say whether directors will go so far as to blacklist you since they are in competition with each other and want to get the best applicants before the rest. However, it's entirely likely that words will spread and some people are going to dislike u for doing that....it's a small community in endo so its a tricky decision.
He agrees that it's a crazy process and really hard for the applicants. Best of luck everyone!

From what I know....unc, Pitt, nova, UF, einstein, are done
Stony brook interview August 8 (email)
Temple gave another round of interviews Aug 7 (email)
I heard Michigan has two interview dates aug 7 and 8 but I'm not entirely sure

UOP has also filled their spots.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
UCLA has interviews Aug 14 and 15
UPenn has interviews Aug 15, 16 and 18

UCLA has interviews Aug 14 and 15
UPenn has interviews Aug 15, 16 and 18

Thank you!
How did they contact you and when?
I thought UPenn will be calling next week. !!

Thank you!
How did they contact you and when?
I thought UPenn will be calling next week. !!
No problem!
UCLA called and Penn emailed. Both Yesterday around 3PM

Last edited:
Anyone know anything about UIC's program?

I heard it's a very strong program and that one of the faculties there participated in the design of ADAT. Therefore, ADAT is absolutely mandatory for applying there!

Any one interview at Michigan ? How was it ?

Einstein, VCU, and Georgia all filled their positions last week. On another note, I must say that Dr. Bergeron at Georgia is a class act! At the interview he apologized to all of us on behalf of all program directors that the process of applying and interviewing is such a **** show (which I thought was kind of cool). He offered me an acceptance knowing that I had an interview at VCU later that week but he allowed me to go to the other interview before giving him my answer. If any of you don't get in this year and decide to apply again next year, I highly recommend applying in Georgia. I ended up taking an offer at VCU but the decision had more to do with location than anything else. As a lessons learned kind of thing, I would recommend that people not be afraid to ask for a few days in order to attend another interview if possible. I hear a lot of talk about accepting an offer somewhere and then still going to interview other places. I think everyone would be better served by being honest and upfront. I think all the directors are aware that this is a problematic issue for us and likely many of them will be flexible...especially if you are a good candidate.

Two program directors at two of my interviews also apologized. They all know it's a ****ty system. I can understand them waiting a few days, but if your interviews are a week or two apart they likely won't wait. So you're definitely lucky in that sense.
Yeah I think asking them to wait 2 weeks is probably a stretch. One of the guys I interviewed with said Harvard gave him 2 weeks to give them a response, so that seemed cool. He didn't end up accepting there though...

Cycle is over for me as I've accepted a position. Good luck to everyone still interviewing!

How do you know which is the best program? There are no rankings and each school is going to sell themselves. So how do you know? Case numbers seem to all be 300.

How do you know which is the best program? There are no rankings and each school is going to sell themselves. So how do you know? Case numbers seem to all be 300.

You can sell your program as much as you want. But when many practitioners, faculties and residents say Program A is a good program consistently and almost unanimously, that program must be damn great.

But seriously there is nothing that makes one program better than the other except for money?
Location and price aside. I would look at the atmosphere for learning. Do they throw you in and make you figure it out or do they spoon feed you. What type of teaching style do you learn better from? Also famous faculty teaching there (I.e leaders in the field at the moment) would be another thing to consider. Like would you want to learn from them

Location and price aside. I would look at the atmosphere for learning. Do they throw you in and make you figure it out or do they spoon feed you. What type of teaching style do you learn better from? Also famous faculty teaching there (I.e leaders in the field at the moment) would be another thing to consider. Like would you want to learn from them
All great points. Some of the things I considered were the culture of the program...ie is the director a genuine, decent person who loves to teach? Is the atmosphere one where experimentation is encouraged in terms of using different equipment or methods that might work differently for each individual? Do the current residents feel that they will be prepared to go out into private practice and be the last stop for treatment in difficult endo cases? What do the facilities look like? Are the operatories old and falling apart with older equipment? Do you have to purchase your own scope, equipment, and instruments (yes, some do require that). There are a lot of things to consider when evaluating a program but it is really hard to find all of that out without going and interviewing there.

Thanks everyone for great input This whole experience is nerve reckoning I haven't heard from single school yet but have my fingers crossed Is anyone in the same boat?

Thanks everyone for great input This whole experience is nerve reckoning I haven't heard from single school yet but have my fingers crossed Is anyone in the same boat?
I applied to about 12 and only got two interviews. One interview coming up next week and waiting to hear from the other program which will notify us today or tomorrow. This process is definitely stressful, but there is still hope for you just keep checking the other thread that is updated with offers and such.

Did anyone get an offer from USC yet?

FINALLY got in to a school of my choice! Good luck to you all.

I applied to 15 schools and even did observership in two of them. NYU I did observership last week for cpl of days.They had one round of interview so far so I am still hoping to get an interview

People who got accepted can u guys share ur input what is the selection/ interview invite criteria for the schools in your opinion

I did get accepted

I did get accepted there. Can you tell me what you know about their program that makes you say that?
I heard from my Canadian friend that it's a really good school for endo. I also heard from a past AAE president that the program is strong.
The tuition is not fun though..l.but then again most endo programs are pretty expensive :( I have to work hard this year to save up some money.

I did get accepted

I did get accepted there. Can you tell me what you know about their program that makes you say that?
I don't know much about the program, they are not in my top list but what I meant was rejecting an offer was brave unless you have multiple offers, will you go to NYU for another interview?

Last edited:
Has Upenn started interviews yet ? Anyone got call

money trumps everything...the most affordable one wins...this is our last destination...prestige aint matter any more

I think money is a big factor at this point and location is key as well. You're going to spend the next 2 years there, might as well be in a nice location!

one thing that i forgot to mention is some schools do have difficulty in finding patients. patients who came to dschool for treatment are not the most reliable so one session per week without pt is ok, 4 sessions is not acceptable. you may need to check how good medicaid coverage is. Some programs have great surgery training because medicaid covers it.
How would you look in to this?

schools are honest about it though...just dont ask bluntly...

I would recommend asking the current residents the number of non surgical/surgical cases they have completed. Usually they will be able to give you a more accurate answer than asking the director.