Endodontics 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've had a couple programs call and leave voicemails about interviews. I didn't go to Iowa for dental school but I had a classmate just graduate from there and I know he made a really good impression on them. They definitely don't only accept Iowa grads. Last year a military buddy of mine got accepted there and he didn't go to Iowa either. I imagine it takes most programs a few days to notify everyone so I wouldn't despair just yet.
drill, could you please list other programs that you have interviews at. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

What is the best way to prepare for interviews? Do most programs ask similar questions and what are some common examples? Are any programs notorious for grilling candidates?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Interview dates for Buffalo were changed to August 16th, 18th, and August 28th (email)

Last edited:
I'm in the military right now but I've been moonlighting in private practice. The owner of the practice where I work has one full-time associate and 2 part-time associates. She only works 2-3 days/week and still makes a GREAT living from what the rest of us are producing while she's not there. Go buy a practice that's already up and running, build it to >$1M production and get an associate. You'll be managing a business but spend a lot less time in the chair if that interests you. Trust me, there is plenty of money to be made as a GP if you have the drive. For me, specializing is about being very proficient at one thing that I can hopefully do with my eyes closed after a while. Being a GP is definitely the most difficult path in terms of keeping up on the new research, products, technology, etc. I used to think that having a "boring" job sounded terrible. Now, the idea of doing something that is very predictable and less stressful is very appealing.
hi!

I really liked your reply. Well I did weigh pros and cons of opening a practice.
Cons to start with - Keeping up-to-date on every aspect of general dentistry, managing and doing dentistry in the practice for a few years will be stressfull. Managing a practice with an associate also will have variables attached to it.

The thought process of making a choice of doing specialization( again as you mentioned ) doing the same work day in and day out - will make me more proficient in one field. Plus sort of much easier keeping up to date in one field rather than hopping everywhere.

The reason I have doubts - I am in my late 30's . Have a family and children who need me. We will definitely have to compromise financially the years I am in school ( but then everybody says that two years will fly by way too fast ). I will be using my savings up for the school because we wont be able to get a student loan( although people say I'll recover that amount in about two years )
Please provide your feedback on my dilemma.
Thank you

hi!

I really liked your reply. Well I did weigh pros and cons of opening a practice.
Cons to start with - Keeping up-to-date on every aspect of general dentistry, managing and doing dentistry in the practice for a few years will be stressfull. Managing a practice with an associate also will have variables attached to it.

The thought process of making a choice of doing specialization( again as you mentioned ) doing the same work day in and day out - will make me more proficient in one field. Plus sort of much easier keeping up to date in one field rather than hopping everywhere.

The reason I have doubts - I am in my late 30's . Have a family and children who need me. We will definitely have to compromise financially the years I am in school ( but then everybody says that two years will fly by way too fast ). I will be using my savings up for the school because we wont be able to get a student loan( although people say I'll recover that amount in about two years )
Please provide your feedback on my dilemma.
Thank you
Sounds like we are in a similar situation. I'm 35 years old and I have three kids. I'm actually really nervous about supporting my family financially during residency but I'm willing to do it because I know it will be worth it after the dust settles. I think endo is the best kept secret in dentistry but the word seems to be getting out now. In any case, I wish you the best of luck!

Sounds like we are in a similar situation. I'm 35 years old and I have three kids. I'm actually really nervous about supporting my family financially during residency but I'm willing to do it because I know it will be worth it after the dust settles. I think endo is the best kept secret in dentistry but the word seems to be getting out now. In any case, I wish you the best of luck!
If supporting family is a concern, why not consider doing the training in the military if you're already in?

If supporting family is a concern, why not consider doing the training in the military if you're already in?
By doing my residency through the army I would incur another service obligation. My family is ready to settle down and we didn't want to add another couple moves before were able to do that. Plus, the military is undergoing some big changes in the way healthcare is administered and it has made it pretty difficult. In retrospect, I wish I would have applied to endo right out of school. I would be an endodontist already and I wouldn't have incurred any additional payback

DrillSGT, do you think most endo programs view military experience as a positive aspect of your CV? I'm in the army reserve and am not sure how PDs view that

DrillSGT, do you think most endo programs view military experience as a positive aspect of your CV? I'm in the army reserve and am not sure how PDs view that

I personally know 10+ prior Active Duty dental officers that are in civilian Endo programs at this moment, so I think it's safe to say that military experience is seen as a positive by those selecting applicants for interviews and acceptance.

Military experience won't make up for otherwise poor stats, but it may set you apart from others if all other things are equal.

By doing my residency through the army I would incur another service obligation. My family is ready to settle down and we didn't want to add another couple moves before were able to do that. Plus, the military is undergoing some big changes in the way healthcare is administered and it has made it pretty difficult. In retrospect, I wish I would have applied to endo right out of school. I would be an endodontist already and I wouldn't have incurred any additional payback

So should take a plunge then :))
And I think Endo is not going anywhere for good 20 years atleast
Endo it is

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me say this, I had a colleague with low-average GPA in dental school and he got interviews at every single school he applied to. I think it makes a big difference at a lot of programs

Im assuming these next two weeks should be pretty busy with Interview invites? Most places seem to give at least 2-3 weeks prior to invite date notice correct?

Im assuming these next two weeks should be pretty busy with Interview invites? Most places seem to give at least 2-3 weeks prior to invite date notice correct?
Tennessee told me that their interview is on July 11 - haven't heard anything from them so I am assuming I am not lucky with them
UMKC interview date is July 19, not heard from them either

Last edited:
DrillSGT, was your colleague AD or AR?

Did anyone receive interview invites from Tennessee?

Did anyone receive interview invites from Tennessee?
i got an email from the director saying that my application is complete and the interview date is july 11. I did not hear from them about the interview so Im assuming that i was not selected. I think they should have sent out the interview by now - they need to give ppl time to prepare you know...

Anyone hear anything from VCU? I was really hoping to get an interview invite there but haven't heard anything yet. I'm not even sure they have all my supplemental stuff since they haven't cashed the check I sent. Every other program cashed the check (supplementary app fee) relatively quickly. Just curious if anyone else still hasn't seen those checks clear...

anyone had a problem with MUSC address? I put the exact address as on the application, but the tracking says its incorrect....

What does anyone know about the NYU Lutheran program???

What about the program do you want to know? Message me, my good friend is a 1 year resident there right now. He said invites aren't out yet and their interview day is set for early-mid August

What about the program do you want to know? Message me, my good friend is a 1 year resident there right now. He said invites aren't out yet and their interview day is set for early-mid August
how many Lutheran are there in the country dientes. I like to teach a little so I only applied to schoolbased program

how many Lutheran are there in the country dientes. I like to teach a little so I only applied to schoolbased program
I'm not sure my friend is 1st year resident at the Lutheran program in Brooklyn though. He likes it, he did a gpr there the year before he got in

I spoke to a second year resident at NYU Lutheran a couple of weeks ago. She LOVES the program, says they are completing 400+ non-surgical and a lot of surgical cases as well. They have great faculty who are very knowledgeable about private practice and they are allowed to moonlight from day 1 in the program. It's very expensive to live there but she told me that she makes enough moonlighting that it's no problem for her to pay $4k/month in rent to live in Manhattan. It pays $35k/yr stipend as well. I don't remember what else she told me, I just remember being impressed that she had so many great things to say about the program.

Its crazy how some schools are so early and some nobody has heard anything from like BU, Nebraska, UF

Any opinion regarding Tufts endo program? Interview coming up soon...
Has anyone heard anything from Columbia yet?

So UIC just sent out 10 invitations today - they will send out another batch for those of you who are interested. Good luck to everyone and me,,,

So UIC just sent out 10 invitations today - they will send out another batch for those of you who are interested. Good luck to everyone and me,,,
I wonder if these means that others schools have done the same

For those programs that have already given out interview invites, do you all think it is unwise to send an application there as they won't look at any more applications and hence give out anymore interviews?

For those programs that have already given out interview invites, do you all think it is unwise to send an application there as they won't look at any more applications and hence give out anymore interviews?
I considered doing that but I'm pretty sure it's going to be too late. However, if you do it you're only out about $100 so you don't have a lot to lose. I didn't end up applying to UMKC because they required the ADAT but I had heard from other people that last year some applicants go interview invites without taking it. So I considered adding them now but they already offered interview invites so I decided against it.

MUSC called yesterday for interview on July 24th. Waiting for details in an email.

So did anyone on these forums go to the Louisville interview which was supposed to be yesterday? I can't believe a school interviewed that early

So did anyone on these forums go to the Louisville interview which was supposed to be yesterday? I can't believe a school interviewed that early
Yeah, I was there yesterday w/ 5-6 other applicants. Great people and program! It was a very laid back and enjoyable day.

I've been hearing from endodontists and residents that interviews are generally laid back and relaxed for the most part?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I wasn't invited but SLU scheduled interview on Monday and Tennessee on Tuesday