Endodontics 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drbcca

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
It's that time of the year!
The application process is going to start soon, wish you all the best.
Let's all post our quations regarding the applications, ADAT, interview dates .....and keep this thread going!
Please feel free to ask any quations that you have and hopefully someone will answer.

Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
For endo programs that require the ADAT, is taking it in June too late considering interviews are in July/August?

Members don't see this ad :)
No it'a not a big deal. Some programs don't even require it yet and those who do don't have a systematic way of weighing those scores. Just take it to say you've taken it and show you made an effort

Reactions: 1 user
There are some schools with " Optional" PASS application.
What do you suggest, through PASS or Directly to program?
Thanks

I am applying for endodontics residency this year, too. Good luck guys!

Reactions: 1 users
No it'a not a big deal. Some programs don't even require it yet and those who do don't have a systematic way of weighing those scores. Just take it to say you've taken it and show you made an effort

Only two programs that I'm applying to REQUIRE ADAT -__-... but I haven't had much time to study for it.. so I'm going to take my exam in June and show them I've made the effort...even though the official percentile won't be posted in august/ september... i'm not really sure I see the point of that...

How do we learn more about individual programs as far as strengths and weaknesses? The only information I have is from my military colleagues and the program websites. Some of these programs I really know nothing about. I want to have more information than price and location.

Unfortunately, the only way to really get a good sense of a program's strengths and weaknesses is to talk to current or past residents and/or visit the program.

You should be able to get a sense of whether or not a program is more clinically based or more research based from the AAE website and the program's website.

Shoot me a Private Message if you have any questions and I can see if can answer any of them.

How do we learn more about individual programs as far as strengths and weaknesses? The only information I have is from my military colleagues and the program websites. Some of these programs I really know nothing about. I want to have more information than price and location.

The best way to learn about the programs is to attend the AAE meeting and talk to all the residents at the poster presentations. Current residents provide the best information and most of the programs in the country are there. I did this prior to application. However the AAE meeting just passed so you will have to wait until next year or find other ways to speak with current residents.

Do NBDE part 1 results included in a Dean's letter count as official results? or do programs require official reported scores directly from the ADA?

Do NBDE part 1 results included in a Dean's letter count as official results? or do programs require official reported scores directly from the ADA?
Some program requires the score to be sent from ADA directly to them...

Regarding ADAT, there is a huge confusion creating statements, as some schools states on their website they require ADAT, but ADAT program list on ADA website states those schools accepts not required..... what to do?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah it really seems up in the air at some places...I contacted UWASH and UIC, they WILL require the ADAT this cycle. Nova said they favor applicants who have taken it...If anyone has confirmed other programs, please share

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yeah it really seems up in the air at some places...I contacted UWASH and UIC, they WILL require the ADAT this cycle. Nova said they favor applicants who have taken it...If anyone has confirmed other programs, please share

there is a complete list of schools on ADA ADAT website

there is a complete list of schools on ADA ADAT website

Yes, but I'm curious as to whether that complete list is accurate..like you said, a program's website will say they REQUIRE it, but the ADA resource claims they accept and don't require.

Yes, but I'm curious as to whether that complete list is accurate..like you said, a program's website will say they REQUIRE it, but the ADA resource claims they accept and don't require.
It's not always accurate.

Tufts mention on website ADAT required, ADAT website says tufts dont require, tufts themselves didnot responded yet to an email inquiry sent three weeks before on ADAT

The best way to find out is to call the admission/program director. I have tried correspondence via email but never received a reply.

I called the NYU Endodontics admission director to inquire about ADAT requirements.
She said, "Because it is still considered a pilot year and only a fraction of applications will have taken the exam, it is unfair to reflect the ADAT scores in forming the basis for admission decision. Therefore, there will be no penalty for not taking ADAT but school will accept the score if you have it".

I then asked if poor ADAT scores, if submitted, would jeopardize my chances and she said, " I do not believe so but I cannot tell you for sure."

Hence, there is nothing much confirmed about this exam. Honestly, my hunch is that the school will look at the scores just for research purpose (ex. comparing school GPA and ADAT score to observe the correlation). But please do not take my words for it. No one is sure at this point.

I would like to get my list down to about 10-15. I've watched my friends apply for 3 cycles, and what happens is all the interviews are within a few weeks and there are many conflicts if you apply to a ton of programs. Plus it is alot of expense / work putting the applications together. Also if you dig deeper you will realize certain programs favor certain types of applicants i.e. military/experience/local/connections so some are a waste of time if you don't hit one of those. So a targeted approach is easiest

This is one perspective i would like to offer the other.

1. Yes it's a lot of expense putting the applications together.

2. Yes it's a lot of work to get complete applications.

3. Yes there is the potential for overlapping interview dates.

However I don't think it's possible to dig into the approximately 56 programs across the country and know the certain types of applicants they take.

While a targeted approach is "easiest" that doesn't make sense for everyone.

When i applied I had a little over 30 fully completed applications. Had multiple interview options and was fortunate enough to land a spot.

Some of the interviews that I was offered I knew nothing about the program and sent in a blind application. Not sure I would have been able to research that many schools and have time to get the applications completed.

It was really expensive and a lot of work but it was worth it to me to cast a broad net.

There is nothing wrong with a targeted approach but I think casting a broad net has its merits as well.

Best of luck to everyone.

good luck to everyone applying this year! just took the adat recently. finally one thing off the list and now its time to get those apps completed. applying is so much work! haha x_x

Good luck guys... Lets's have fun filing up the apps..(without ADAT , LOL)

how early are you guys planning on submitting PASS apps? So much work to do for those programs that need separate items sent to them meh

how early are you guys planning on submitting PASS apps? So much work to do for those programs that need separate items sent to them meh

I hear before August is a good goal- because programs will need a certain # of applicants to compare against before sending out interview applications. I'll probably shoot for mid-July just to be safe. How about you?

hmm from last years thread, it looks like people started getting interview invites in early July so we should probably get apps sent out in June?

According to two successful applicants last cycle, shooting for mid-June is good

The earlier the better for submitting PASS apps. Most of my interviews last year were in July with my latest ones in the first week of August. I think I had my applications submitted within the first week of the cycle opening up.

There is no reason why your PASS application should not be completed by the end of the month. For schools that require additional and/or separate material for their application, those applications should also be submitted asap.

My first and second interviews last year were for the end of July. Those programs were offering acceptances within a day or two of the interview and had their class filled before the end of July. If you are aiming to get your application in by the end of the application window, you WILL miss out on being offered an interview and subsequently gaining acceptance to a program.

There is no reason why your PASS application should not be completed by the end of the month. For schools that require additional and/or separate material for their application, those applications should also be submitted asap.

My first and second interviews last year were for the end of July. Those programs were offering acceptances within a day or two of the interview and had their class filled before the end of July. If you are aiming to get your application in by the end of the application window, you WILL miss out on being offered an interview and subsequently gaining acceptance to a program.
Can we submit the supplemental stuff for programs BEFORE our adea pass application is completed??

i've heard upenn is a great program but the tuition is pretty steep -__-

for those programs with master's degrees, does undergrad gpa play a significant role in selecting applicants? i'm asking bc my undergrad gpa wasn't that great but i did much better in dental school haha

Hello all,

Good luck to all applicants in the current cycle. I graduated from dental school in 2012 and have been in Private practice since. I am applying to endodontics residency programs this year. I have heard that experience helps. Would anyone know which schools prefer candidates with experience? Also, I have been looking for programs that offer stipend. Could anyone please guide to me to such a list (if it exists)? If not, I can individually look up the program websites. I am not inclined towards taking the ADAT because I may not have enough time to do it. Any pointers would be appreciated. Thank you

Hello all,

Good luck to all applicants in the current cycle. I graduated from dental school in 2012 and have been in Private practice since. I am applying to endodontics residency programs this year. I have heard that experience helps. Would anyone know which schools prefer candidates with experience? Also, I have been looking for programs that offer stipend. Could anyone please guide to me to such a list (if it exists)? If not, I can individually look up the program websites. I am not inclined towards taking the ADAT because I may not have enough time to do it. Any pointers would be appreciated. Thank you

Programs with stipends: Einstein, Long Beach VA, UCLA, Lutheran, pretty much all VAs. Most of these programs require experience to my knowledge

unfortunately i've heard that the VA long beach is closing so they are not accepting any applications

Quick question for those who have submitted the app.

What are the things that we can and cannot change on ADEA/PASS after e-submitting the app?
ex. can we add a new evaluator, update our address, and add new programs?

Thanks,

• Advanced Dental Admission Test (ADAT) scores – Although recommended, ADAT scores are not required for the 2017-2018 application cycle. Please be advised that ADAT scores will be required for the 2018-2019 cycle.

I'm wondering if U.W. changed this... or I was mistaken earlier-- so we are NOT REQUIRED this cycle??? =) somebody please confirm this is correct!

• Advanced Dental Admission Test (ADAT) scores – Although recommended, ADAT scores are not required for the 2017-2018 application cycle. Please be advised that ADAT scores will be required for the 2018-2019 cycle.
I'm wondering if U.W. changed this... or I was mistaken earlier-- so we are NOT REQUIRED this cycle??? =) somebody please confirm this is correct!

I thought the current cycle was the 2018-19 cycle?

hmm i could've sworn i saw somewhere that they required it.. maybe it did get changed lol

I thought the current cycle was the 2018-19 cycle?

the current cycle is 2017-2018 with program start date in 2018. the 2018-2019 cycle is next year's application cycle and would have program start date in 2019.

Hi everyone,
It's that time of the year!
The application process is going to start soon, wish you all the best.
Let's all post our quations regarding the applications, ADAT, interview dates .....and keep this thread going!
Please feel free to ask any quations that you have and hopefully someone will answer.

Good luck to everyone!
Hey guys,

Do any of you know whether we can submit and pay for PASS before profs submit letters of recommendation. Thanks

does any of you have problem uploading your personal statement to PASS. For some reason, it keeps saying "The page you have requested does not exist on this site." when i try to submit my PS.

Hey guys,

Do any of you know whether we can submit and pay for PASS before profs submit letters of recommendation. Thanks
Yes you can, I submitted and then my letters just updated to my application as they came in. Same with my official transcript