This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know which schools are sending out second batch of interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know which schools are sending out second batch of interviews?
Columbia is holding interviews at end of AUG. Possibly sending invites today or next week, or they may already have their list complete.

Anyone heard from Buffalo?

Does anyone know roughly how many applicants applied for each program this cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an email for interview at Columbia and they have 3 more interview dates...

Does anyone know roughly how many applicants applied for each program this cycle?
I have been told by a program director that they usually get 25-30 applicants for each spot

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, UOP interviewed on thursday and gave offers the next day. LSU gave offers that very night after interviews (friday). As far as I know, LSU is also filled.

I assume you got accepted to UOP and that's how you know? Looks like we're going to be classmates. Go tigers!

VA NY Harbor Healthcare System - 8/5 (email)
University of Alabama at Birmingham (2017 positions filled)

Loma Linda University
University of California at Los Angeles - 8/15 (phone)
University of California at San Francisco - 7/26, 7/27 (email)
University of Southern California- 8/2 (email) Positions offered
University of the Pacific- 7/28 (email), 7/28 (phone) positions offered
University of Connecticut 8/17 (email)

Nova Southeastern University - 7/18 (phone) Positions offered
University of Florida- 8/4, 8/5 (phone)
Georgia Regents University - 8/1 (email) Positions offered
University of Illinois at Chicago - 8/2, 8/10 (email)--- positions offered 8/10
Indiana University - 8/1 (email)---2017 positions filled
University of Iowa - 7/14, 7/15, 7/18 (phone) - positions offered 7/18
University of Louisville - 7/29, 8/1 (phone / email) Positions offered
Louisiana State University - 7/29 (phone) Positions offered
University of Maryland- 8/1 (email) Positions offered
Boston University - 6/10 (email), 6/13 (email), 8/15 (email)
Harvard University - 8/2 (interview date)
Tufts University- 8/1-8/5 (positions filled)
University of Detroit Mercy- 8/15 (phone)
University of Michigan- 8/9 (email) Positions offered
University of Minnesota - 8/1 (email)
Saint Louis University - 7/18 (phone)
University of Missouri-Kansas City- 8/5 (phone)
University of Nebraska- 8/25, 8/26 (snail mail)
Rutgers School of Dental Medicine - 8/2 (phone) Positions offered

Columbia University
New York University 8/16, 8/17 (email)
State University of New York at Stony Brook
University at Buffalo, The State University of New York
University of North Carolina- 8/5 (interview & positions offered)
Case Western Reserve University
Ohio State University - 7/20 (phone)
Oregon Health & Science University - 8/10, 8/11 (email)
Albert Einstein Medical Center -7/26 (email)
Temple University 8/9 8/16 (email)
University of Pennsylvania 8/5, 8/12 (email)

University of Pittsburgh
Medical University of South Carolina- 7/25, 8/25 (phone) positions offered
University of Tennessee Health Science Center - 7/26 (email)
Texas A&M University Baylor College of Dentistry - 8/1 (phone) Positions offered
University of Texas at Houston - 8/9 (email) Positions offered
University of Texas at San Antonio - 8/5 (positions offered)
Virginia Commonwealth University - 7/29 (email) Positions offered
University of Washington - 7/25, 7/29 (email)
West Virginia University- 8/5 (email)
Marquette University - 8/3 (phone)

Has anyone get acceptance from UConn yet?

Loma Linda University
University of the Pacific- 7/28 (email), 7/28 (phone) Positions offered

Columbia University

University of Pittsburgh
Medical University of South Carolina- 7/25, 8/25 (phone) Positions offered
University of Tennessee Health Science Center - 7/26 (email)Position offered
Texas A&M University Baylor College of Dentistry - 8/1 (phone) Positions offered
University of Washington - 7/25, 7/29 (email) Positions offered

has anyone received offer from columbia and harvard? how many people do harvard usually interview?

Members don't see this ad :)

Loma Linda University
University of the Pacific- 7/28 (email), 7/28 (phone) Positions offered

Columbia University

University of Pittsburgh
Medical University of South Carolina- 7/25, 8/25 (phone) Positions offered
University of Tennessee Health Science Center - 7/26 (email)Position offered
University of Washington - 7/25, 7/29 (email) Positions offered

I have been told by a program director that they usually get 25-30 applicants for each spot

I think that number is low.

I got a few rejection letters and they mentioned the number of applications.

VCU-reported 115 completed pass applications
San Antoinio- reported 120 applications.
Georgia Regents- reported verbally at the interview they had a little over 100 applications

I think that number is low.

I got a few rejection letters and they mentioned the number of applications.

VCU-reported 115 completed pass applications
San Antoinio- reported 120 applications.
Georgia Regents- reported verbally at the interview they had a little over 100 applications

probably near 100

Last edited:
Who cares? How does it help you If you know how many applicants applied for each program? Actually you have to see how you prepared yourself for the residency program, and which program do you like to be in. Each program has it own criteria, ex. Saint Louis Missouri's director doesn't like applicant with working experience, he wants you to be fresh out of school, San Antonio Tx, prefers applicant with research background, they don't care if you have working experience, in the other hand your chance is higher if you have working exp in NYU, Michigan prefers student with working experience and research background, each program trains different endodontists, do you wanna be a clinician or a scientist?

Last edited:
Who cares? How does it help you If you know how many applicants applied for each program? Actually you have to see how you prepared yourself for the residency program, and which program do you like to be in. Each program has it own criteria, ex. Saint Louis Missouri's director doesn't like applicant with working experience, he wants you to be fresh out of school, San Antonio Tx, prefers applicant with research background, they don't care if you have working experience, in the other hand your chance is higher if you have working exp in NYU, Michigan prefers student with working experience and research background, each program trains different endodontists, do you wanna be a clinician or a scientist?

I think most of us do care. I believe the initial question was to see how competitive the endo programs are in general. Ideally if your stats are exceptional, you would have the luxury to pick and choose. Applying for any residency program takes a lot of time, MONEY, and effort, and it is always a good strategy to carefully research individual programs, including their competitiveness, before applying. Wouldn't you want to know where you stand against your peers before you enter the competition?

Having said, I think one of the primary factors that drive the competitiveness in endo programs is the cost. Well paid programs, such as VA and Einstein, will always be competitive. I spoke to many residents at so called "big name" private schools, and so far not one I spoke to was also accepted into a program with lower tuition (i.e., state schools). If there's anyone out there, please PM me, because I am quite interested in your views. If money is no issue, I would have applied all 50 programs and see what happens!

I think this year's application cycle has been extremely competitive, perhaps because the ADAT exam is still optional for most programs.

Reactions: 2 users
If you are a strong applicant you don't have to be worried, this is my point, just work on your CV and put yourself on the program director's shoe and see if your a good fit for the program, I think we are at the end of interview season, congrats for everyone who got the acceptance letter, and if you were not selected this year don't give up, work on your application and try next year, best of luck

I think knowing the numbers is a good way to gauge if it's worth it--spending lots of money and time applying is useless if the risk of not getting accepted is high. With that said, I don't think there are any secrets because every program is so different. Look at the demographics, for instance: San Antonio is nearly 2/3rds foreign new dentist residents and mostly foreign faculty; Portland is nearly all white male experienced residents with all US faculty except their Australian chair; Houston is vast majority foreign residents with mixed faculty...every program is so different I don't think there is a predictable method to gauging how you'd do. There's a niche program for every applicant, it's just a matter of spending lots of effort finding it!

I think knowing the numbers is a good way to gauge if it's worth it--spending lots of money and time applying is useless if the risk of not getting accepted is high. With that said, I don't think there are any secrets because every program is so different. Look at the demographics, for instance: San Antonio is nearly 2/3rds foreign new dentist residents and mostly foreign faculty; Portland is nearly all white male experienced residents with all US faculty except their Australian chair; Houston is vast majority foreign residents with mixed faculty...every program is so different I don't think there is a predictable method to gauging how you'd do. There's a niche program for every applicant, it's just a matter of spending lots of effort finding it!

ADAT will change the dynamic and it is a good way of filtering applications regardless of their background. It helps program directors to compare applicants and standardized the selecting process.

Last edited:

"Who cares?" Wow you've got some guts to say this. Of course we ALL care. I don't know what stats you have but I can guarantee you more than half of us have the less than perfect stats that we can't do anything about (GPA, NBDE, class rank, etc). Let's say I had one, I would still feel uncomfortable bragging about it. Then we have to think about our odds and of course, the acceptance rate and application pool size are extremely important criteria. Finding a program that is more receptive to a certain criteria is important, but knowing which program has a higher acceptance rate is just as important. It may be difficult to ascertain that information accurately, but if there's a way through SDN or through other means, I think it's a very legit way to fight for your seat in this competition.

And personally that last question is a no brainer question. If we wanted to become a scientist, we should have signed up for a PhD program. Most people here are willing to do research in the program because it's part of the training, not necessarily to become a scientist. A more important question to prepare might be something like whether you want to do board certification and, of course, why.

I've been to many interviews between this year and last year, and I'm a bit disappointed with some of these 4th year dental students. I'm sure they were there at the interviews because they probably have good stats and all. But they tend to brag about their board exam experience. They love to talk about pulpal tissue regeneration. I don't know where they find this type of confidence but sometimes it sure does sound like over-boarding. One time I was in a conversation with a fellow candidate, and he talked about how difficult it is to get through their dental school because they kick out so many students for poor performance. He and I felt bad because the school kept on raising the bar, making it even more difficult to graduate. This third guy (a current dental student) came out of nowhere said if they performed poorly and failed three classes they should walk out on their own. I was like... what about their life, dream, and aspiration? What about the money they spent to get through 3 years of dental school? Doesn't it sound like there's something wrong with their system if a 1/4 of the class can't graduate? I was just horrified at the thought that some of these candidates may end up being my classmate and colleague. What would they think of me, if I was having a personal difficulty during my residency?

I've been to many interviews between this year and last year, and I'm a bit disappointed with some of these 4th year dental students. I'm sure they were there at the interviews because they probably have good stats and all. But they tend to brag about their board exam experience. They love to talk about pulpal tissue regeneration. I don't know where they find this type of confidence but sometimes it sure does sound like over-boarding. One time I was in a conversation with a fellow candidate, and he talked about how difficult it is to get through their dental school because they kick out so many students for poor performance. He and I felt bad because the school kept on raising the bar, making it even more difficult to graduate. This third guy (a current dental student) came out of nowhere said if they performed poorly and failed three classes they should walk out on their own. I was like... what about their life, dream, and aspiration? What about the money they spent to get through 3 years of dental school? Doesn't it sound like there's something wrong with their system if a 1/4 of the class can't graduate? I was just horrified at the thought that some of these candidates may end up being my classmate and colleague. What would they think of me, if I was having a personal difficulty during my residency?
I am in a situation with less than perfect stats mainly the GPA being lower as my dental school was very strict with grades...Haven't had luck this time with my application so far...Would you mind sharing what you did different this time around with your application...I mean any thing to boost your Endo interest?
Also did you have to reapply all the supplemental documents the second time around along with the pass application?
Do the schools discard all the application materials from the previous time?
Thanks in advance..

I am in a situation with less than perfect stats mainly the GPA being lower as my dental school was very strict with grades...Haven't had luck this time with my application so far...Would you mind sharing what you did different this time around with your application...I mean any thing to boost your Endo interest?
Also did you have to reapply all the supplemental documents the second time around along with the pass application?
Do the schools discard all the application materials from the previous time?
Thanks in advance..

I actually did not repeat the same set of schools. There were about 3-4 places I repeated applying. PASS was re-written. My personal statement was completely different so it makes sense. This one place had an option of asking them to use the same supplemental app they had in the record, but I wrote the whole thing again just so that they will consider me as a brand new candidiate.

has columbia given out offers yet?

Any news from Buffalo and Case Western?

Interview from Boston University yesterday. Declined since I already accepted a spot. Someone should hear from them.

I have been informed that all the Ivys (Columbia, Harvard, Penn) are filled.
Good luck to all the applicants next cycle and congrats to all of you that survived this brutal cycle! (I heard this year was one of the most competitive year so far)
Hoping to do a GPR and get into Columbia Endo next year... it was probably the best program that I have been to so far. The residents occasionally graduate with 400+ cases!! And the director is amazing.
If anyone was accepted to Columbia, tips would be appreciated!

Reactions: 1 users
I have been informed that all the Ivys (Columbia, Harvard, Penn) are filled.
Good luck to all the applicants next cycle and congrats to all of you that survived this brutal cycle! (I heard this year was one of the most competitive year so far)
Hoping to do a GPR and get into Columbia Endo next year... it was probably the best program that I have been to so far. The residents occasionally graduate with 400+ cases!! And the director is amazing.
If anyone was accepted to Columbia, tips would be appreciated!

Hey MtEndo,
Columbia University Endodontics program seemed like the most clinical program that I've interviewed at so far.
I could tell that the director Dr. Kim was very friendly and caring. The residents seemed very happy - I think Dr. Kim does an excellent job picking the residents with an awesome group dynamics. The fact that they receive implant didactics by a professor who is world-famous in the field of implants is one of the perks :p
As for "tips", PM me and tell me more about yourself and perhaps I can provide you with some insights.
Good luck/congrats to everyone!

Premac

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I just received an invitation for interview from Boston via email. I did apply via PASS, but neither completed the secondary application nor paid the fees. Is it a mistake? Any guesses?

I just received an invitation for interview from Boston via email. I did apply via PASS, but neither completed the secondary application nor paid the fees. Is it a mistake? Any guesses?
It's probably not a mistake. If you accept the interview they will probably ask you to complete the secondary app prior to the interview.

Received another late invite from NYU. It seems some programs have issues with filling spots.

Based on info from other interviewees or classmates who interviewed at several programs. Please feel free to update the list if you have any info with regard to remaining programs:

VA NY Harbor Healthcare System - 8/5 (position filled)
University of Alabama at Birmingham (positions filled)
Loma Linda University (positions filled)

University of California at Los Angeles - 8/15 (positions filled)
University of California at San Francisco - 7/26, 7/27 (positions filled)
University of Southern California- 8/2 (Positions offered)
University of the Pacific- 7/28, 7/28 (Positions offered)
University of Connecticut 8/17 (positions filled)
Nova Southeastern University - 7/18 (Positions offered)
University of Florida- 8/4, 8/5 (positions filled)
Georgia Regents University - 8/1 (Positions offered)
University of Illinois at Chicago - 8/2, 8/10 (positions offered 8/10)
Indiana University - 8/1 (positions filled)
University of Iowa - 7/14, 7/15, 7/18 (positions offered 7/18)
University of Louisville - 7/29, 8/1 (Positions offered)
Louisiana State University - 7/29 (Positions offered)
University of Maryland- 8/1 (Positions offered)

University of Michigan- 8/9 (Positions offered)
Rutgers School of Dental Medicine - 8/2 (Positions offered)

Columbia University (positions filled)
State University of New York at Stony Brook (positions filled)
Case Western Reserve University (Positions offered)
Ohio State University - 7/20 (Positions offered)
Oregon Health & Science University - 8/10, 8/11 (Positions offered)
Albert Einstein Medical Center -7/26 (Positions offered)

University of Pittsburgh (Positions offered)
Medical University of South Carolina- 7/25, 8/25 (Positions offered)
University of Tennessee Health Science Center - 7/26 (Positions offered)
Texas A&M University Baylor College of Dentistry - 8/1 (Positions offered)
University of Texas at Houston - 8/9 (Positions offered)
Virginia Commonwealth University - 7/29 (Positions offered)
University of Washington - 7/25, 7/29 (Positions offered)

Last edited:
Based on info from other interviewees or classmates who interviewed at several programs. Please feel free to update the list if you have any info with regard to remaining programs:

University at Buffalo, The State University of New York (positions filled)

For University at Buffalo, The State University of New York (positions filled). The 3 positions are filled already??
Thank you!

That's what I heard from a friend who is a dental student at Buffalo and she plans to get into endo program next year. But it might not be accurate. She mentioned Buffalo has filled positions as well. I remove it, but feel free to update it as soon you find out about their positions.

Updated:

Harvard University - 8/2 (interview date) (positions filled)

University of Pennsylvania 8/5, 8/12 (email) (positions filled)

Weren't the official ADAT/raw scores supposed to come out today? I don't see any change in my account. Anyone else see it in their account?

Updated:

West Virginia University- 8/5 (email) (positions offered)

Last edited:
Do you guys know how many applied this cycle?

Last edited:
I would estimate roughly about 500-750: I assume a typical applicant applied for 10-15 programs, and each program received 100-200 applications (I would assume about 150 on the average) for a total of about 50 programs. There are about 200 spots each year, so the total selection rate would be approximately 1 in 2.5 to 3.

I know there are many programs that receive more than 100 applications for less than 3-4 spots, but the ones who do not get selected likely applied for other programs, so collectively the selection rate may not be as bad as how it is perceived. Some paid programs such as VA and Einstein can be indeed extremely competitive, as bad as 1 in 25-50, where as expensive programs like Boston or NYU appear to have turnovers (i.e., people first accepted the offer and then later retract to attend other programs).

I may be way off, so let me know what you guys think!

Based on SDN, this cycle seemed a very competitive cycle. It seems numbers have gone up since last cycle. Do you guys know how many applied this cycle?

I would estimate roughly about 500-750: I assume a typical applicant applied for 10-15 programs, and each program received 100-200 applications (I would assume about 150 on the average) for a total of about 50 programs. There are about 200 spots each year, so the total selection rate would be approximately 1 in 2.5 to 3.

I know there are many programs that receive more than 100 applications for less than 3-4 spots, but the ones who do not get selected likely applied for other programs, so collectively the selection rate may not be as bad as how it is perceived. Some paid programs such as VA and Einstein can be indeed extremely competitive, as bad as 1 in 25-50, where as expensive programs like Boston or NYU appear to have turnovers (i.e., people first accepted the offer and then later retract to attend other programs).

I may be way off, so let me know what you guys think!

According to ADA, last year statistics show that there were 3570 applications for endo and 218 people were accepted to the specialty.
http://www.ada.org/~/media/ADA/Science and Research/HPI/Files/SADV_2015-16_final.xlsx?la=en
I am guessing there were even more applicants this year due to this cycle being the last year before ADAT kicks in.

Premac

Last edited:
Thank you for the ADA link-it's a great find that confirms my estimate.

I think the number you cited 3570 comes from Table 3 of the spreadsheet. Read the footnote of the table - it specifically states the very thing I suggested in my previous post. That is, the number 3570 represents the total number of completed applications reviewed, not 3570 unique applicants.

Let's do some simple math here: if there are 3570 unique applicants, and just so happened each applicant decided to apply only 3 programs (highly unlikely), that would be a little more than 10000 applications. Let's also assume that the applications are evenly distributed among the programs. Then on average each program received and reviewed approximately 200 applications-we know this didn't happen this year.

Going back to my first post on this topic, I think it is a fairly comfortable estimate that a typical applicant applies about 7-15 programs. I personally completed 8 applications, while I have seen some people with more than 20. Then, taking the lowest number of the range, 7, the number provided by ADA, 3570, may as well mean 500 or less unique applicants. On a side note, number provided by some programs can also be inaccurate somewhat: while I completed 8 applications for review, I did get interview invites from a couple of programs that I did not even complete (i. e., I neither submitted the secondary application nor paid the fees). So, those programs' numbers will actually be higher.

Again, a good find, premac!

interesting seeing a decline in endo applications since 2005

New York University 8/16, 8/17 (email)(Positions offered)

Temple University 8/9 8/16 (email)(Positions offered)

West Virginia University- 8/5 (email) (positions offered)
Marquette University - 8/3 (phone) (Positions offered)

It seems cycle is over

Last edited: