Endocrinology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lalalandbrain2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am incoming DO student and would like to go into Endocrinology. So, would I have to take both STEP 1? I know I would need to do a fellowship after internal medicine. But, was not sure how fellowships work in DO residencies. Thanks ahead

Members don't see this ad.

I am incoming DO student and would like to go into Endocrinology. So, would I have to take both STEP 1? I know I would need to do a fellowship after internal medicine. But, was not sure how fellowships work in DO residencies. Thanks ahead

All DO residences and fellowships will be ACGME accredited and you will only apply through NRMP.

It is highly suggested one takes both the USMLE and COMLEX. Some fellowships will only accept USMLE scores.

Reactions: 1 users
All DO residences and fellowships will be ACGME accredited and you will only apply through NRMP.

It is highly suggested one takes both the USMLE and COMLEX. Some fellowships will only accept USMLE scores.

Oh okay. I was not aware board scores are still taken into account for fellowships. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think everyone should go into school expecting to take both and pending they're above the bottom 3rd of their class should probably take it without question.

Reactions: 1 user
I would advise you to take both no matter what you want to go into.

It's going to be hard to get any significant amount of data to answer your question. There's <300 endocrine spots/year, and there's typically <20 DO applicants in any given year.

That said, I know of at least one DO who was my coresident and applied into and matched Endocrinology with just the COMLEX without difficulty.

Shouldn't be a problem. Not many people want to go into endo

Shouldn't be a problem. Not many people want to go into endo
Well, you can't say that for sure. There's typically 20% more applicants than spots for Endocrine in any given year, so it's not like nephrology or ID where all you need is a pulse. Just there's no specific data to say that the COMLEX would be the issue for the OP.

But not taking the USMLE will make it harder for them to get into a "good" IM program, so that's thats one thing that will make the path more difficult.

Well, you can't say that for sure. There's typically 20% more applicants than spots for Endocrine in any given year, so it's not like nephrology or ID where all you need is a pulse. Just there's no specific data to say that the COMLEX would be the issue for the OP.

But not taking the USMLE will make it harder for them to get into a "good" IM program, so that's thats one thing that will make the path more difficult.
This person needs a little bit more than just a pulse. I think he or she has that. Endocrine is not competitive, at all. There are high ranking academic programs that did not fill this year.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Endo is a fairly easy fellowship to get into. It should be definitely be no problem if you do a university IM residency.

I've never heard of this. Would this mean all 3 steps?

This person needs a little bit more than just a pulse. I think he or she has that. Endocrine is not competitive, at all. There are high ranking academic programs that did not fill this year.
The match rate for endocrine over the last 5 years has ranged from 66% to 79%. It's not THAT competitive, but it's certainly more competitive than ID (90-95%) or nephrology (88-95%). And we have no idea what kind of credentials the OP will have 6 years from now (or what the competitiveness will be then), given that he hasn't even started medical school yet.

I've never heard of this. Would this mean all 3 steps?

There's a few fellowships at Scripps Green and UCSD where they specifically say that the COMLEX is not considered for their program and they will need a USMLE score to apply there. I don't know about the specifics of whether it is all three parts however.

There's a few fellowships at Scripps Green and UCSD where they specifically say that the COMLEX is not considered for their program and they will need a USMLE score to apply there. I don't know about the specifics of whether it is all three parts however.

'twould be a bit ridiculous to require DOs to take Step III.

Its only a handful of programs throughout the country. For Endo, it definitely isn't required. That said, I agree with everyone here that OP should plan on taking Step 1 and 2 CK. It'll improve their chances of getting into a solid IM program, and be helpful if they change their mind.

Pretty sure requiring DOs to take Step 3 is mostly a way to say they don't reaaaally take DOs.

Taking Step 1 and Step 2 CK is a good idea for most of us, but I wouldn't spend the extra few thousand bucks on Step 2 CS and Step 3 to maybe apply to programs that are just not that into us anyway.

Hello! Not sure if youre still thinking endo but I'm a DO and will be starting endo fellowship in July. Feel free to PM me with questions.