Endocrinology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EndoDoc2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time reader, first time poster.

I considered joining the military before medical school to pay my way, but decided to go the loan route so I could have the freedom to match into residencies/fellowships that I wanted to practice long term.

I am IM Board Certified, and will be finishing up my adult endocrinology fellowship shortly. The average starting Endo salary is about what I owe in loans, making me reconsider the military for loan repayment now that I have had the opportunity to pick my own field.

However, I do realize that most of the diseases I treat disqualify others from military service (DM, adrenal disorders, most thyroid disorders). Given this, is there even any need for Endocrinologists in the military? If so, are the opportunities few and far between, and do the Endo folks often also have to practice primary care (I imagine consults would be few and far between)?

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

There are not a whole lot of billets for Endocrinology in the Army outside of those stationed to the bigger medical centers (Walter Reed, SAMMC, Tripler etc). Most small military hospitals farm out patients to the civilian network. At Walter Reed, San Antonio and maybe a few other of the medical centers an endocrinologist will see a decent range of endocrine pathology. Though there's a fair amount of diabetes and thyroid management. Remember you'll be taking care of not just active duty but their civilian dependent spouses or children as well as those who retired from the military and their dependent spouse.

However, I do realize that most of the diseases I treat disqualify others from military service (DM, adrenal disorders, most thyroid disorders). Given this, is there even any need for Endocrinologists in the military? If so, are the opportunities few and far between, and do the Endo folks often also have to practice primary care (I imagine consults would be few and far between)?

All of the above is true, and probably good reasons to not join (for someone in your position). How sweet is the Army loan repayment program? I'd be skeptical. It would probably be better for you to stay a civlian, double down on your loan payments so you can pay it off quickly. If you really want to serve, consider the Reserves (Army Reserve, ANG).

Reactions: 1 user
How sweet is the Army loan repayment program? I'd be skeptical. It would probably be better for you to stay a civlian, double down on your loan payments so you can pay it off quickly. If you really want to serve, consider the Reserves (Army Reserve, ANG).
The Reserve (AR and ARNG) is currently paying back $40K/year in medical school debt for up to 6 years.

Reactions: 1 user