Endocrinology vs Hematology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Misaki27

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I would like some opinions on whether you think hematology can be done as a second specialty to endocrinology (endocrine being the first). I couldn't find many resources dedicated to hematological problems in endocrine disorders.

On a different note, if you were to choose between the two of them, which would you choose and why? Is there a big difference between hem and endo regarding lifestyle and pay?

Thanks! And sorry if it sounds stupid, it's just that I find both of them fascinating fields.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hematology like benign heme? Or Hem/Onc?

Honestly, pick one. We all like lots of stuff. But sometimes we have to make choices.

And if you're a resident already, how many dual boarded/practicing hem/endo docs are you aware of? I've personally never met one...or even heard of one.

Reactions: 5 users
Hello! I would like some opinions on whether you think hematology can be done as a second specialty to endocrinology (endocrine being the first). I couldn't find many resources dedicated to hematological problems in endocrine disorders.

On a different note, if you were to choose between the two of them, which would you choose and why? Is there a big difference between hem and endo regarding lifestyle and pay?

Thanks! And sorry if it sounds stupid, it's just that I find both of them fascinating fields.
exactly what are hematological problems in endocrinology...i mean other that most of the hormones that we deal with are measured in the blood...

i'm not really sure what kind of overlap there is between the 2 that would make sense to do both...

Members don't see this ad :)
First, I can count on one hand the number of programs in the country that offer hematology only training. So you're talking about doing 2 years of endo then 3 years of hem/onc (assuming you can come up with a good story to convince hem/onc PDs why the hell you're applying after endo) and then reality hits and it's time to look for jobs. Employers in academic or private will be confused and expect you to pick one. So just pick one now

Thank you for your answers! I am becoming increasingly interested in heme, but the problem is I believe it's harder to practice heme in a private practice. Endo is much easier, you can do thyroid US all day.

Also, the reason I didn't pick heme was that I found the pathology much less ammenable to cure; endo is much more treatment friendly, so to speak.

My problem is that while I enjoy endocrinology, I get bored with it quite quickly (the pathology isn't that complex). Also, I chose endo thinking it would be a better choice family wise (I want to have kids). Do you think heme would be a better fit for someone who is a rapid learner and interested in complex cases?

Thank you for your answers! I am becoming increasingly interested in heme, but the problem is I believe it's harder to practice heme in a private practice. Endo is much easier, you can do thyroid US all day.

Also, the reason I didn't pick heme was that I found the pathology much less ammenable to cure; endo is much more treatment friendly, so to speak.

My problem is that while I enjoy endocrinology, I get bored with it quite quickly (the pathology isn't that complex). Also, I chose endo thinking it would be a better choice family wise (I want to have kids). Do you think heme would be a better fit for someone who is a rapid learner and interested in complex cases?

Regardless of what you end up choosing, you have to be comfortable with the bread and butter of that speciality. Endocrine will be primarily staring at blood sugar logs, managing thyroid, and bone health.

It is rare to only be trained in heme, and more rare to only practice benign heme. Most heme/onc folks can't stand benign heme.

Reactions: 1 users
Regardless of what you end up choosing, you have to be comfortable with the bread and butter of that speciality. Endocrine will be primarily staring at blood sugar logs, managing thyroid, and bone health.

Literally choked up and got tears reading this. Would cry if this was my career.

Most of endocrine is not "curing" anything. We manage patients, constantly discussing their issues and doing our best to educate them about their disease. Endocrinologists pick the field because they love to learn about it... certainly no one does it for the money. And the lifestyle isn't that much better than primary care if you don't enjoy the subject matter, so that's not a great argument either.

And yes, the "bread and butter" endocrine disorders aren't all that difficult to manage, but if you truly think there's no complex management... Please don't apply to the specialty. You'd be in for a lot of surprises.

Literally choked up and got tears reading this. Would cry if this was my career.
OTOH, I'd cry if my job consisted primarily of quizzing people about their bowel habits and inevitably sticking a camera in one end and/or the other. I was never quite so bored in my entire residency as I was on my GI rotation. But some people love it. It takes all kinds...

Most of endocrine is not "curing" anything. We manage patients, constantly discussing their issues and doing our best to educate them about their disease. Endocrinologists pick the field because they love to learn about it... certainly no one does it for the money. And the lifestyle isn't that much better than primary care if you don't enjoy the subject matter, so that's not a great argument either.

And yes, the "bread and butter" endocrine disorders aren't all that difficult to manage, but if you truly think there's no complex management... Please don't apply to the specialty. You'd be in for a lot of surprises.

OTOH, I'd cry if my job consisted primarily of quizzing people about their bowel habits and inevitably sticking a camera in one end and/or the other. I was never quite so bored in my entire residency as I was on my GI rotation. But some people love it. It takes all kinds...
I agree with everything you said above. Just wanted to describe my very visceral, real reaction to reading that post

Yea there is no question every specialty has pain points. I think most of us who enjoy GI like the variety of clinical practice between inpatient/outpatient/procedures, the variety of organ systems (esophagus, stomach, small bowel, colon, liver, pancreaticobiliary), and disease processes (IBD, motility, etc). Every one of those bullet points you can turn into your own sub, subspeciality area of interest if you want. That said, I sure do see a lot of IBS and functional abdominal pain :)

Well when you take the camera out, dollar bills start flying out so...

Yea there is no question every specialty has pain points. I think most of us who enjoy GI like the variety of clinical practice between inpatient/outpatient/procedures, the variety of organ systems (esophagus, stomach, small bowel, colon, liver, pancreaticobiliary), and disease processes (IBD, motility, etc). Every one of those bullet points you can turn into your own sub, subspeciality area of interest if you want. That said, I sure do see a lot of IBS and functional abdominal pain :)
I could say the same about focusing on DM, thyroid, pituitary, adrenal, bone and mineral, etc.

And yes, I see too many patients with fatigue, "spells", "brain fog", etc. I think it's the same ladies that you see for IBS ;)

I could say the same about focusing on DM, thyroid, pituitary, adrenal, bone and mineral, etc.

And yes, I see too many patients with fatigue, "spells", "brain fog", etc. I think it's the same ladies that you see for IBS ;)

Wow, I never would have thought to refer "brain fog" to endocrine. Great advice!