Endocrinology vs cardiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

upbeatdoc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am currently pediatric resident and is confused between endocrinology and cardiology. I love both fields but have heard negative stories about prospective academic job availabilities in both fields. Also the salary difference is significant. I want to work in academic settings in long term and am flexible to amount of workload expected,willing to work hard. My questions are:

1. How are job availabilities in academic field in pediatric cardiology vs endocrinology?
2.How are job availabilities in private field in cardiology vs endocrinology?
3.How are academic job salaries in cardiology vs endocrinology?
4. How are private job salaries in cardiology vs endocrinology?
5.What is work life balance difference in academic setting in cardiology vs endocrinology? [hours/week]
6.How is work life balance difference in private setting in cardiology vs endocrinology?
7. What is the month that you start receiving interviews for endocrinology fellowship and which month is peak of interviewing season?
8. What is scope for obesity medicine which is subset of endocrinology?

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Cards and Endo are very different fields..

From what I've heard, interviews for endocrine happen late August through October, with the peak probably being in late September. But I'm going through the match this year, so I can't tell you for certain. I imagine cards will be the same now that they're moving to the fall match.

Your scope of practice will depend on what your partners see. In my limited experience, you can expect to see about 50% diabetes, primarily type 1, but also type 2 (and obesity medicine plays into that), and then your patients will more be determined on your clinical interests. Of our faculty, two do post-cancer stuffs (one neuro-onc, the other general onc), one (of the post-cancer docs) does pituitary dysfunction, one does transgender care, one does bone disease, and the remaining see a mix of everything. Obesity makes up a relatively small percentage of their practice outside of type 2 diabetes, but we also have a dedicated obesity program that is separate from the endocrine division. In some places, the endo docs take care of inborn errors of metabolism, and at others, the genetics people take care of them.

Our faculty (which is a hybrid academic/private model in that they are paid exclusively based on clinical care, not for involvement in research) have clinic about 4 days per week, and are on service once every 3-5 weeks. When they're on service, the hours can be widely variable, but usually they are in the hospital from 7a til 5-6pm for the week.

Can't answer the other questions for you, sorry.