Endocrine salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tm8735

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm starting to look for my first post-fellowship job in endo. I'm having a lot of trouble finding salary info.. I've seen everything from 120K-250K. Do you know of any trustable resources for salary info for endocrinology? Or, would you feel comfortable sharing your salary and general setting (e.g. academic hospital practice, small town community doc, etc).

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I'm starting to look for my first post-fellowship job in endo. I'm having a lot of trouble finding salary info.. I've seen everything from 120K-250K. Do you know of any trustable resources for salary info for endocrinology? Or, would you feel comfortable sharing your salary and general setting (e.g. academic hospital practice, small town community doc, etc).

Thank you!
The best data for salaries from all specialties comes from the MGMA salary surveys, which (from what I hear) have quite a bit of granulated data available. Unfortunately, they also are primarily meant for physician groups recruiting (not for individuals) and are quite expensive. You may be able to ask a recruiter to see the relevant bits of the data.

Fortunately, *some* of the MGMA data is available through the AAMC's Careers in Medicine website. For adult endocrinology, the cited data on CIM is:

Clinical Practice

Starting salaries
Low:
$ 135,000 Median: $ 190,000 High: $ 215,000
1‒2 years in specialty Median: $ 204,969
All physicians
Low:
$ 190,724 Median: $ 221,098 High: $ 265,605

The AAMC also has direct access to it's own data on what academic faculty are paid. This is also provided in the careers in medicine site, though they block off the full reports from general users. For adult endocrinology, the provided data for academics is:

Academic Medicine
Low Median High
Assistant professor
$ 137,000 $ 153,000 $ 184,000
Associate/Full professor $ 175,000 $ 207,000 $ 249,000

There's no year listed on the AAMC's website for how old this data may be, and nothing granulated by state or by practice type other than academic or general clinical (as above). Presumably there's extremely wide variation based on these factors. Also, I don't know what low/high mean in the above contexts, whether it's the 25/75th percentiles, the 10th/90th, or some other number.

For a non-academic job outside of the tightest markets (NYC, SF bay area, etc), if you're working full time, my guess is you can almost certainly find a job at or above the "high" mark for starting salaries, but thats based on anecdotal evidence.

I forgot to mention the other source frequently cited on these forums, the Medscape Compensation Surveys. That data is thankfully free/public with the most current data being at http://www.medscape.com/features/slideshow/compensation/2016/diabetes-endocrinology

Unfortunately, the Medscape information is probably significantly less accurate than the MGMA data due to poor sampling. Their total sample of endocrinologists was around ~200 people (based on the last few slides) out of around 6,500 endocrinologists in the US, without any guarantee of appropriate sampling techniques/distributions for their online survey.

The 2016 general endocrine average from Medscape was $206,000, but they do have the granulated regional/practice type data available. In general, the Medscape numbers are less than the MGMA numbers in pretty much every field, so you can likely adjust up from there.