ENDO 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone who is applying/applied to midwest ENDODONTIC programs like Marquette, UIC, etc. know if they accept students right out of dental school? What makes a D4 desirable to endo program directors? Also, what other programs have a track record of accepting D4s? Any feedback is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe Iowa takes a lot of students right out of school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Search the endo 2017 thread! Lots of valuable advice there that answers your question

I know it's not what you want to hear, but the answer is simple. GPR/AEGD/Private practice with a decent rank and some extracurricular, or very high rank with endo research and great letters to back it up. I'm almost positive I answered a similar question in one of your posts. I'm telling you, if you want to do endo... do a GPR or AEGD first. It will set you up for a much greater experience while in residency, and will make it much more likely that you get in. The number of spots available to new grads gets smaller and smaller each year, and it's justified.

I know it seems like it would be a waste of a year, but very few people are ready to handle difficult endo cases right out of school. What are you going to do when the program director hands you a molar and says find MB2 and the canals are all curved... they expect you to know how to do it on your own. A year of post grad experience should get you at least 1 molar endo a week and they will let you use a microscope. You need that practice before entering a residency.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What is "decent rank" and "very high rank"?

I know it's not what you want to hear, but the answer is simple. GPR/AEGD/Private practice with a decent rank and some extracurricular, or very high rank with endo research and great letters to back it up. I'm almost positive I answered a similar question in one of your posts. I'm telling you, if you want to do endo... do a GPR or AEGD first. It will set you up for a much greater experience while in residency, and will make it much more likely that you get in. The number of spots available to new grads gets smaller and smaller each year, and it's justified.

I know it seems like it would be a waste of a year, but very few people are ready to handle difficult endo cases right out of school. What are you going to do when the program director hands you a molar and says find MB2 and the canals are all curved... they expect you to know how to do it on your own. A year of post grad experience should get you at least 1 molar endo a week and they will let you use a microscope. You need that practice before entering a residency.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm planning on applying to endo. this cycle and I graduated last June (June 2016). I've been working in private practice and never thought I'd go into a specialty. My rank was right around 50% But I've had a lot of endo. experience since graduating..

I'm the only associate who does RCTs at my one office and I do a few at the other office I'm at. I've been able to find MB2 with my loupes/ light for the 3 upper molars I've done and I've been able to do all the molars so far. I'm going to have completed about 8-10 RCTs just this month- which I think (?) is more than what I could have gotten at a GPR/ AEGD.

I wanted to know what you thought about writing my experiences on my CV when I apply. Do I let them know I've been in private practice for 1 year but with ample endo. experience? Could you give me any insight

thanks so much.

BUMP...

Almost that time ... let's try to keep this thread alive for this application cycle. Good luck to everyone applying!

Looks like there are still a lot of programs out there not requiring ADAT =)

Maybe there is already a thread for this, but I couldn't find one that answered my question directly. I have been gathering information from the ADA website in regards to Endodontic Residency programs for 2019 (I will be applying this summer). After months of emailing schools and searching the ADA's website for information, I found that there were large discrepancies between the school and the ADA's website. I am wondering if anyone has an updated comprehensive list of schools that: 1. Require a year of experience/a GPR? and 2. Require a form of secondary examination outside of the boards exam? Thank you for your help!

Maybe there is already a thread for this, but I couldn't find one that answered my question directly. I have been gathering information from the ADA website in regards to Endodontic Residency programs for 2019 (I will be applying this summer). After months of emailing schools and searching the ADA's website for information, I found that there were large discrepancies between the school and the ADA's website. I am wondering if anyone has an updated comprehensive list of schools that: 1. Require a year of experience/a GPR? and 2. Require a form of secondary examination outside of the boards exam? Thank you for your help!

There is no comprehensive list of schools that require a year of experience or GPR. Most schools do not have a official policy on this but may lean that way in their application process.

Not sure if your taking about the ADAT as the examination outside of the board exam but from my experience all the schools can have different parts of their application. Some schools only need the stuff in PASS. Most schools have some sort of additional application fee or want official transcripts sent to them ect. I would recommend contacting every school you apply to and making sure you have complete all the necessary part of their application. Its a pain but its the system they have given us.