EMS vs Toxicology for Academic Career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interested in both, curious which is more marketable in the academic world.

Members don't see this ad.

Ultrasound will likely be the most marketable fellowship from an academic or community standpoint, because of its emerging utility in the field. But honestly, any fellowship will be fine if you want to do academics. It's not that competitive to get into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whatever you want/are interested in doing. Academics isn't that hard to break into because the pay sucks.

Members don't see this ad :)
As previous posters said....do what you want or like!

I went the EMS route and love it! Think about what it is that floats your boat and go for it. As others have said, the pay in academics is not that competitive compared to community.

Thanks.

Wook

Ultrasound will likely be the most marketable fellowship from an academic or community standpoint, because of its emerging utility in the field. But honestly, any fellowship will be fine if you want to do academics. It's not that competitive to get into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ultrasound is good but rapidly being saturated in highly competitive environments.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Interested in both, curious which is more marketable in the academic world.

I'm not ems nor tox, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

EMS fellowship is most useful in large markets.

Tox is longer and in my opinion harder academically. Also Tox may be more difficult to maintain. Once done though, you have an option to work in poison centers and some inpatient settings that are not options in EMS.

Also in my experience, the two have quite different personality types. I don't personally know people who blend into both communities. I think if you spend more time in those spaces it will be easy to tell which one is the better fit.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile