Employee discipline by manager

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clarkbar

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
n/a

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why does it hurt to read this? How do people make it through high school, college, pharmacy school if they type like this?

Sorry its on a smart phone. Please disregard errors. Im also frazzled and need advice sooner than later

Members don't see this ad :)
This needs to be rewritten so it's not as confusing. From what I can understand, you are making quite a few errors, why do you think this is happening?

Reactions: 1 users
the backstabber pharmacist has succeeded. It has been giving verbal and written complaints about medical errors i made in a the context of non reporting. Additionally the backstabber told the boss i reviewed the med error folder and took out some of my errors.
The boss has no proff but wrote she suspects i did.

There was a report given to the hr office by the manager. There were some operatons issues and workflow issues, but another story , that some techs ignorant of the workflow process were targeting me to the boss.

However the main issues was the backstabber collected one really bad month of errors. Three times more than others. The other two months were bad but not as bad. Again the backstabber is reporting all errors even internal issues ones and even non critical ones like day supply.

Talking to the backstabber is pointless as anything i say is relayed and twisted. Im a hands off guy and have been a dud in crafting these narratives. Otheremployees are aware of the backstabber but are not proactive

i relayed to the boss that when i was alerted by techs the backstabber was tracking my orders and the techs were upset is the reasonI checked the error folder after hours. I work late.

The backstabber reported me. I was unaware we couldn't look in there. Im a recent grad call me stupid. No one told us there was a folder or we had to report. Nor was there any email.

In any event the note being sent to hr says people aka backstabber thinks i am intimidating them when they point out an error and that they have to go behind my back and are not targeting me. Boss is backing up back stabber. I could elaborate but will hold off.

Again i am not aware of how to handle office politics in this new environment

You started at Chapter 20 of your novel, dial it back to Chapter 1 so people have context to what you are referring too.

Reactions: 1 user
you've been betrayed because a tech accurately reported how many mistakes you make at work?

They may not be your friend any more but this is on you to make less mistakes, I'm sorry

I vaguely remember OP making another post about this "backstabber" reporting OP's and other pharmacists' errors to the supervisor, but OP felt like he was being targeted/having more errors reported than others.

Have you already had a meeting with your supervisor about all of this? The way you're describing it makes it sound like a very toxic, punitive place. She told you she suspects you're the bad guy - what did you say in response? Have there been improvement opportunities/plans developed for you?

It seems like you're outclassed by this "backstabber" who is using your errors to get you out.

I don't know what advice you expect to get here that will change anything. I remember Lord999 and others giving you literal gold in the last thread.

Reactions: 2 users
I recall you being told that whatever you do don't remove your errors from the folder. And lo and behold you've been accused of removing errors from the folder. Maybe take our advice next time?

If it were me, I would go to the director and let them know that I am aware that I have been making an above average number of errors and ask for advice on how to prevent that from happening in the future. If your director thinks you are trying to improve and that you are at least aware of the problem, I suspect you are more likely to get some slack.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
most pharmacists here would agree with your boss, and the backstabber, that you are the one at fault. you are the one making the dispensing error, and lots of it. how is that safe for patients? you are not helping them to better health. you are making their conditions worse. i would be pissed to pay so much money for a six figure salary incompetent fool to fill my prescriptions. wouldn't you? ....that said, in my retail chain pharmacy, we also had a backstabber tracking every dispensing error made by the PIC. fortunately for the PIC, the supervisor didn't care about all the dispensing error reports, or the backstabber's complaints. ... that said, you should apply for cvs, get out of there before you're terminated. .... /again, kudos to the backstabber. and yea, since pharmacy is a small world, that person is probably here reading this right now. careful with what you say online. you might be terminated sooner than you think. start applying for back up jobs.

You are concerned way too much about the 'backstabber.' It is almost irrelevant to what is going on at this point, outside of making work environment difficult for you. Remove all this junk and evaluate situation objectively.

Facts: You are making too many errors and on top of that, you are not following policies that you should be following.

The rest is just your side of the story. Your evaluation of your coworkers. Your perception on how errors should be handled. It is true there might be some politics in your place. We all have it. And based on that, you either fix the issues brought up by your supervisor or find another job. Your permanent record is just with your HR. Whether you sign it or not, it will stay there. All they will do is check of a box that says 'refused to sign.'

Members don't see this ad :)
You are concerned way too much about the 'backstabber.' It is almost irrelevant to what is going on at this point, outside of making work environment difficult for you. Remove all this junk and evaluate situation objectively.

Facts: You are making too many errors and on top of that, you are not following policies that you should be following.

The rest is just your side of the story. Your evaluation of your coworkers. Your perception on how errors should be handled. It is true there might be some politics in your place. We all have it. And based on that, you either fix the issues brought up by your supervisor or find another job. Your permanent record is just with your HR. Whether you sign it or not, it will stay there. All they will do is check of a box that says 'refused to sign.'

This is all that matters. As M0df said, you need to step back and evaluate yourself. If you are making errors, you need to find a reason why this is occurring because you are putting patients at risk. Ask yourself questions like:
Are you working with limited help?
Are you working excess hours?
Is there a procedure that is causing issues?
Do you have a process for verifying/filling/etc that can be changed to help reduce these errors?

The issue of you are making errors is not going to disappear and, even if you leave this job, you are likely going to be making the same errors somewhere else. All that will lead to is you likely being fired or reprimanded at the next job.
You have to find a way to stop the errors and it would behoove you to have a plan for how to do this that you can explain to your boss and/or HR. You may get reprimanded, but if you can stop the errors, then you may be able to keep your job and the "backstabber" will have little ammo.

Your permanent record is just with your HR. Whether you sign it or not, it will stay there. All they will do is check of a box that says 'refused to sign.'

true and false. you don't sign it, they put down that u refuse. but if you do sign it, you admit you are at fault. that admission is problematic in future lawsuit against cvs pharmacy.... if you are being written up for performance metrics, he say she say, and subsequently get fired. then you can sue the company for wrongful termination. you can collect more cash than you need in a lifetime. provided you did not sign the write up.

I understand the frustration. But maybe you should focus less on the notion that someone who you perceive has no right to bring your errors to the attention of the supervisor (the "backstabber")...is doing that and more on the fact that you are indeed making errors at work.

Approach your supervisor, be humble, let them know you want to improve.

1. Why are you making so many errors? Are you distracted? Do you need more training? Making errors is part of the job, but if you are making a significantly higher number of errors than your peers, that is a problem.
2. Are you not following policies/procedures or taking shortcuts? That can easily get you in trouble. Follow your companies policies.
3. Agree about not getting angry - that doesn't help you. Walk into the meeting with a valid desire to improve and work with the plan they give you. You may not agree with it, but do what you got to do to not get fired. (And don't be a jerk about it)

The easiest way to solve this problem is simply stop making errors.

This person has their own reasons. But I'm alarmed that the boss is so on the backstabber's narrative. It went way beyond a boss but covering. Do these notices of "Improvement" have a legitimate purpose of genuinely helping or giving employees a chance in the pharmacy world, or are they a prelude to termination? I've already made steps to minimize my exposure and be less of a superman to address errors.

Since the letter, apart from the errors, were a fishing expedition of random tech complaints and the backstabber over a long period, there wasn't much that could be substantiated. Additionally, it mentions policies (such as the error folder) were enunciated, but neither I nor anyone else in the pharmacy, save bosses and backstabber, knew about the error policy. Nor did I receive any training, which they claim.

Save the error rate for that time being high, the boss has no evidence of any wrong doing except the complaint from backstabber and a few sparse tech complaints. Should I challenge documentation of training or explaining of polices (none happened); should I add an addenum that the other complaints are 'he said, she said,' and it is not fair? To what end?

My main concern is to either save a reference (I was on good standing and had a good review before the backstabber made its play) and/or not burn a bridge and be able to be rehired if I choose to work for the company again. In this line of thought, what are my options? I spent an enormous amount of time in a very disorganized pharmacy, self-teaching myself, building relationships with the boss and co-workers. I can't face it was all taken done so easily.
Why would you get a reference? You clearly have personal problems with staff and can't get medications right. You got paid to get medications right

Why would you get a reference? You clearly have personal problems with staff and can't get medications right. You got paid to get medications right

Everyone makes mistakes. OP mentioned his error rate was three times normal, I think? That can be as simple as everyone else making 3 errors and him making 9. If his error rate is normally consistent with everyone elses, a one month spike isn't as extreme as you might think. The other aspect is his reported error rate might be high but the true error rate may be no higher than anyone elses, since we know that errors are not consistently reported at his work place. We also don't know what kind of errors this is - not many people consider a days supply error to be the same severity as wrong patient/wrong drug.

OP - I doubt you will have much luck trying to argue you weren't aware of the error folder/policy of reporting errors since you clearly did know about the error folder and are accused of tampering with the contents. Obviously you did know about it. You might get some traction with disputing the "he said/she said" complaints since they are less objective than the documented errors. In general I doubt you will have a lot of success with arguing about the offenses though and more likely your boss will just think you are in denial about the issues (which I am sorry to say that is how you come across in this thread).

I don't see how you can "save a reference". If you are so sure your boss is trying to fire you, why would you ever list them as a reference? You can safely consider that bridge burned I think. As for being rehired, I think most people who are terminated are labeled rehirable so you are likely ok on that front. From what I have seen only the worst offenses make someone unrehirable, like theft. I still think your best play is to have a heart-to-heart with your boss about the whole situation and ask them how you can improve. Then focus on doing that.

You say you spent a lot of time building relationships with your boss and coworkers, but aren't they the ones you think are against you now? I am just curious what you mean by that.

You keep mentioning a narrative, but what do you mean? You either made the errors or you didn't, what narrative are you talking about? Maybe you are referring to the he said/she said comments or something else?

I recall you being told that whatever you do don't remove your errors from the folder. And lo and behold you've been accused of removing errors from the folder. Maybe take our advice next time?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile
LMAO. I actually spit out my water when I read this. I remember reading OP's original post and thinking to myself, who even thinks of sneaking around and removing errors from the folder. LOL. I had a feeling he was going to do that.
@Dred Pirate was it you who told him not to?

If you're not at risk of being terminated, then you have ample opportunities to improve.

Gather what you can with respect to what the errors are (even if you disagree), then see about avoiding them in future. I guess it depends too on what the errors are, and whether they caused harm to your patients.

All errors should be reported. Maybe you can proactively report your own errors. And not see it as a finger-pointing exercise if you catch errors made by others. ~You're all in this together :angelic:

no staff has been there more thana year whichis why i got the job as a first job.

Well this is a red flag for a place you probably shouldn't work. Incompetent management that ran off the entire staff? I've seen it happen at a few institutions after a new director comes on board. A place I once tried desperately to work for had about 13 pharmacist openings at once after a management change. I guess I should consider myself lucky that I wasn't hired.

Its been vague. No improvement plan just that errors should be below 18 percent of total. However the calculations of total orders is per hour which lowers my productivity.
The whole thing smacks as an overzealous ass coverage plan. The letter was the kitchen sink any problems someone had with me. It is in my permanent file. What are the implications of this for future remployment with the company

I felt better yesterday as male boss was really friendly with me and was open to putting positive things in the file I wrote. However after the meeting their were circumstancial several lies i caught him in. I don't know what to believe. A former disgruntled coworker thinks that the backstabber pharmacist is being directed to do the hese things and the boss cant be trusted
18%?!?!

Reactions: 3 users
Its been vague. No improvement plan just that errors should be below 18 percent of total. However the calculations of total orders is per hour which lowers my productivity.
The whole thing smacks as an overzealous ass coverage plan. The letter was the kitchen sink any problems someone had with me. It is in my permanent file. What are the implications of this for future remployment with the company

I felt better yesterday as male boss was really friendly with me and was open to putting positive things in the file I wrote. However after the meeting their were circumstancial several lies i caught him in. I don't know what to believe. A former disgruntled coworker thinks that the backstabber pharmacist is being directed to do the hese things and the boss cant be trusted
I think you may have a legitimate problem with interpreting reality

That sounds like an improvement plan to me. If you think it is too vague, you better clarify it. I hope you are not using the same narrative with your boss as you are doing here. It is not good. Right or wrong, this is not the type of attitude you need to project at these meetings.

I agree, 18%???? Everyone makes errors and messes up, but 18% is a serious, serious problem. Even if the 18% is trivial errors that nobody cares about like days supply. 18% error rate wouldn't even be tolerated at McDonald's. If the op is truely making over 18% errors, then there is a serious problem behind that, that needs to be addressed.

Looks like OP just treated this thread like the med error folder and removed everything

Reactions: 6 users