EMGs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dog_luver

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow PMR'ers,

I'm having difficulty with EMGs. I recently started my EMG rotation and I feel quite inept and I am having difficulty understanding some concepts and learning the technique for the different studies. I have not felt this dumb in years! Where can I get help? I have to admit that my attending has been utterly understanding and patient but I am known to be a strong resident and i think I am looking quite inept since I started this rotation. I am reading, etc. but it's been a challenge. Sometimes I think I do everything right yet my waveforms don't come out as they should.

Where can I get some additional help?

Members don't see this ad.

Kimura and Dimitru are not good for basics.

Try Preston and Shapiro from Neuro. Well written, easy to follow.

Yep I'm reading Shapiro and Delisa now. But for example, I learned some of the upper extremity sensory/motor studies this week (I started this week) but some of my waveforms looked crazy. I don't even know what I did wrong as the steps were followed. I feel so frustrated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Manual of Nerve Conduction Study and Surface Anatomy for Needle Electromyography: 9780781758215: Medicine & Health Science Books @ Amazon.comVery difficult area of study out of the gate. Your concern is a common one. You have to know the anatomy, physiology, and technical aspects before integrating it all together.

Dumitru is gold standard, but difficult for beginners. However, the neurophysiology chapter is well worth your time.

Dr. H. Lee's book is good for the technical aspects of being able to do NCS. Linked above.

It takes time. Come early or stay late to practice on yourself and peers.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

It takes time. Come early or stay late to practice on yourself and peers.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I hope so. It typically has been very easy for me to understand things, do procedures and get the "you are the best ---- (student, med student, resident), etc that we've had." But EMGs i'm finding frustrating! It's also difficult for me to remember the anatomy in terms of all the muscles and their innervations.

Basically, it's going to take time. I was a couple years out in practice until I felt FULLY confident in anything. Numbers of studies and repetition are what it takes.

my go to books (besides the "bibles" of Dimitru and Kimura):

Manual of Nerve Conduction Studies, Second Edition Plastic Comb – October 30, 2005
by Ralph M. Buschbacher (Author), Nathan D. Prahlow (Author)

Johnson's Practical Electromyography Fourth Edition
by William S. Pease MD (Editor), Henry L. Lew MD (Editor), Ernest W. Johnson MD (Editor)

I hope so. It typically has been very easy for me to understand things, do procedures and get the "you are the best ---- (student, med student, resident), etc that we've had." But EMGs i'm finding frustrating! It's also difficult for me to remember the anatomy in terms of all the muscles and their innervations.
I used the Asia exam as the skeleton to memorize muscle innervations. It's simplified to one key muscle per nerve root. Not adequate, but a good start. Then, flash cards and redrawing the plexi over and over.