EM/IM rotations, letters, matching, ect.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NOsaintsfan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a second year student that's considering the EM/IM combined training. I'm hoping to get a little insight on how to best evaluate and go about matching into such programs. When setting up away rotations do you try to do sub-i's in both EM and IM at that same program? When going through applications and interviews do you interview with both departments or do they have a combined interview? Is it frowned upon if you don't rotate through both IM and EM departments in the same program? I assume its best to have 2 IM letters and 2 SLOR's right? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Members don't see this ad.

I can offer some insight as I applied to 10/12 programs and will be ranking my top 4 with EM/IM programs.

I found out August of last year about EM/IM, when I was paired up with a CC fellow during my ICU rotation. She was an EM/IM graduate and is currently finishing her 2 year CC fellowship.

So from what I've gathered on the trail, EM/IM has historically not been THAT competitive, granted most take about 2-3 residents per year. I think this year there was a large number, maybe around 100, that one PD told me. In any case, most PDs know that you'll be applying EM or IM as a "backup" so my advice is to decide first what your backup specialty is, EM or IM and then proceed accordingly. If IM, do your subI early and use that letter and if EM do at least two aways and use the SLOEs. The programs want at least 1 IM and 1 EM LOR; fill the others with whatever although I think many prefer the EM SLOE.

I'll tell you this, most applicants I met on the trail also found about EM/IM very late and thus you don't have to do an away at a place with EM/IM, rather just pick one and do one only if you really want to get an interview somewhere.

Some programs were most competitive than others: some invited everyone who applied, some has FMGs, some had DOs and some had some fairly decent applicants from USMD programs; it's kind of a mix. Although most people I talked to consented that Umaryland seems to the "best" because their IM and EM is very strong relative to other programs and they have the 6th year CC option - with rotations at shock trauma.

When you apply, make sure you have a separate PS for EM/IM and explain why EM/IM and what you plan on doing with it. Remember that don't do EM/IM if your indecisive on what to do with our life, as it is 5 years long and several residents I met mentioned that you go through multiple "is it worth it" moments.

Concur with the above, also wanted to point out that I just did EM aways and got SLORs (now SLOEs) from these and did absolutely no IM away rotations. So, I think doing just EM aways is likely fine. Ill be curious where you match kkinase as I am at one of the 6 year EM/IM/CC programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also wanted to add I am a DO, so hopefully my presence doesn't lower the competitiveness of my program. However, I had very good boards, letters, leadership experience, etc.

Kkinase thanks for the response that helps give me an idea of what to expect and was just what I was looking for. Good luck on the match I hope you get what you want. Sylvanthus I'm a DO as well so its good to hear that at least one of the programs will consider a DO.

No problem! I'm fairly certain that almost every EM/IM interview I had, there was a fellow DO applicant also interviewing so I wouldn't sweat that, just not sure how many programs ranked DOs to match. You can check each programs website since most list their residents.

Kkinase thanks for the response that helps give me an idea of what to expect and was just what I was looking for. Good luck on the match I hope you get what you want. Sylvanthus I'm a DO as well so its good to hear that at least one of the programs will consider a DO.
Hi, I am a DO looking to get into an EM/IM program I was wondering If it was possible to shadow Or do an observership. I do not have high board scores, but I feel that I audition well. I did a traditional rotating internship , and I'm applying to programs this year.

Hi, I am a DO looking to get into an EM/IM program I was wondering If it was possible to shadow Or do an observership. I do not have high board scores, but I feel that I audition well. I did a traditional rotating internship , and I'm applying to programs this year.

Absolutely possible to shadow. E-mail the programs you're interested in.