EM/IM questions - matching and post-residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Creampie Connoisseur

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all

What should I shoot for if I want to be competitive for EM/IM at well regarded programs? Any research? What kind of step score? Could you rank in importance, research, grades, step, LOR, pedigree for me?

What is the lifestyle of EM/IM attendings like? How is their schedule? I know its a new field so there aren't that many out there yet. I have always been interested in EM but didn't like the impact of rotating shifts and the move towards corporate overlords - definitely felt like a young man's game. Seems that the dual residency offers an "out" after being in the trenches for 10 - 15 years

Thanks for your help everyone

Members don't see this ad.

Many of your questions are addressed in the other EMIM threads on the board.

What should I shoot for if I want to be competitive for EM/IM at well regarded programs? Any research? What kind of step score? Could you rank in importance, research, grades, step, LOR, pedigree for me?

You generally want to be at least as competitive as the EM program at the same institution. Research is always a plus, but I don't believe it's required for most programs. Step scores - no fails, above US average is probably the minimum. Every part of your file is important (not sure what you mean by pedigree? medical school?). Check out http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Charting-Outcomes-2014-Final.pdf

What is the lifestyle of EM/IM attendings like? How is their schedule? I know its a new field so there aren't that many out there yet. I have always been interested in EM but didn't like the impact of rotating shifts and the move towards corporate overlords - definitely felt like a young man's game. Seems that the dual residency offers an "out" after being in the trenches for 10 - 15 years

It's not a new field - in fact it was big in the 70s when EM was just starting, now it's less common and has morphed into a field for people looking for leadership positions in EM. Therefore the schedule and work balance (EM vs IM, admin, research, etc.) is highly variable. If you don't like EM shifts, I would not recommend EMIM. See the other threads about "buring out" of shifts and moving to an IM practice (TL;DR - probably won't work).

I disagree with rotating shifts being a young man's game; there are many EM faculty in their 60s and 70s actively practicing. Not sure if there is a "move" towards corporate overloads - many organizations and practices (notably http://www.aaem.org/) are strongly opposed to the idea and continue to thrive.