EM/IM program reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surlypremo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any applicants/current residents/alumni of the EM/IM programs would be willing to offer their insight about various programs. I found the reveiws about residency programs on the EM side very helpful, but have yet to find this type of information about combined EM/IM programs. If this was brought up before and I missed it let me know.

I have been through the search function here and most forums have people debating whether or not they think the combined programs are a good or bad idea in general (i.e. this is not the intent of this post!!).

Members don't see this ad.

Stay away from Allegheny General in Pittsburgh...their IM program is malignant...I had a personal tragedy, had to take time off and was dropped like a bag of garbage

I am a current resident/fellow in the Henry Ford EM/IM/Critical Care program. We have both a 5 year EM/IM and a 6 year EM/IM/CC tract. Both our EM and IM residencies are very strong programs. Our critical care fellowships are equally respected, and we have one of the largest ICU's in the country. We are unique in that we are a tertiary/quaternary private hospital in an urban setting with a mission to teach. It is rare that you find the perfect balance of a county, univerisity and community hospital all under one roof.

We have an incredible range of pathology. We are the home of Dr Rivers and Early Goal Directed Therapy. We provide an incredible amount of Critical Care right in the ER. All departments are equally strong, and there is no malignancy.

It is a tough and rigorous program, but you finish with the best training you can get anywhere.

If you are interested in EM/IM or EM/IM/CC, you need to come check out this program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good thread surlypremo :)

AJ11, I'm quite interested in your program and I'm looking at its website right now. I'm a foreign medical student so I was wondering how competitive is it? Would it be too competitive for an IMG? Is it the same for all EM/IM combined residencies, because EM is a competitive specialty whereas IM is not that much. And since there are so few of this combined program, would it be unrealistic for an IMG to apply for them?

I just graduated from the Christiana Care combined program and currently staying as faculty in both departments. I am clearly biased but I think we have a very strong program with one of the busiest ED's in the country and a strong community academic medicine program. I am happy to talk about the program as much as any one can stand.

Is the Christiana program IMG friendly at all?

Not hijacking.. just hoping to get a little more out of this discussion. For any of you who are currently residents in a combined EM/IM program what do you feel is the greatest benefit? (say, over just EM or IM alone).

I've been interested in Emergency medicine since i started school but i also like more long term care specialties so I'm fairly torn. Do physicians certified in IM/EM have the ability to work a set time period in the ED and then a set time period in an IM subspecialty? Or do most IM/EM docs only practice IM/subspecialties (or vice versa, only EM)

Is there any salary difference between a doctor dual boarded in IM/EM and only EM or only IM?

Given the limited number of combined IM/EM residency programs I think it's safe to say they're fairly competitive. Does being dual boarded give you an advantage at all when applying for subspecialties?

And does anyone know why none of the top tier institutions offer this combined residency? (I guess you would consider UCLA, Illinois, etc. to be good institutions.. but why not the Duke's and Mass gen's and Hopkins?)Seems to me that the docs would be much more prepared.. If i had the option of having an MI and going to an ED to be taken care of by an EM doc or an EM/IM doc who completed a Cardiology subspecialty.. well.. It just makes sense I guess.

And lastly, for any of you who were accepted into the combined programs -- Why did you pick that program in particular and what did you do to "set yourself apart" ?? (research, case reports, rock the boards, etc?)

Thanks.

Reactions: 1 users
Would you please provide us with a difference between the IM program and IM/EM program?

What are the fellowships for such program ? Are all fellowships of IM and EM are avaiable for graduated from these programs.

Best Regards.

Would you please provide us with a difference between the IM program and IM/EM program?

What are the fellowships for such program ? Are all fellowships of IM and EM are avaiable for graduated from these programs.

Best Regards.

There will be some overlaps in rotations when you do IM/EM, but otherwise, you will do rotations specific for EM in addition to rotations specific to IM. You will also have outpatient clinics (to satisfy the IM RRC) if you do IM/EM. Pretty certain you don't have outpatient clinics if you do pure EM.

As for fellowships, if you still wish to pursue fellowships after a 5 year EM/IM program - then all IM fellowships as well as all EM fellowships are available to you (not sure about difficulty with an IM/EM background compare to categorical IM for fellowships)

Reactions: 1 user
Just to bump this thread and get people's opinions about EM/IM today.

1) What do most people with EM/IM do after residency?
2) Could I be a part time hospitalist and part time EM doc? Is that a smart path to take?
3) Is EM/IM something people should go into if they are unsure what they want or if they just cannot choose EM over IM or vice versa.

Reactions: 1 user
Just to bump this thread and get people's opinions about EM/IM today.

1) What do most people with EM/IM do after residency?
2) Could I be a part time hospitalist and part time EM doc? Is that a smart path to take?
3) Is EM/IM something people should go into if they are unsure what they want or if they just cannot choose EM over IM or vice versa.

My responses here

Does anyone know if the UCLA EM/IM program is still active?