EM -> CC fellowship requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slz1900

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm making a list of EM residencies to apply to would like to at least leave the door open to doing a CC fellowship afterwards. I'm seeing some require 6 months on the medical floor and ICU. Is this something that certain residencies aren't going to be able to fulfill and therefore you will be forever ineligible to do CC? Seems like almost no 3 year programs have that much medicine so is it impossible to do an ABIM fellowship coming from them?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm making a list of EM residencies to apply to would like to at least leave the door open to doing a CC fellowship afterwards. I'm seeing some require 6 months on the medical floor and ICU. Is this something that certain residencies aren't going to be able to fulfill and therefore you will be forever ineligible to do CC? Seems like almost no 3 year programs have that much medicine so is it impossible to do an ABIM fellowship coming from them?

I don't know much about CC, but I do know that my residency program was moving to minimize floor months as much as possible. However, you could do all your electives on the floor or in the ICU (instead of doing a B.S. "research month", LOL). If you find an EM residency with a floor month, MICU and SICU rotations, then your elective months could put bring you to the minimum you need. Just a thought.

Additionally, if you are still short a month, I'm sure your residency could help you out with a swap, i.e. "Can I do a month of ICU instead of XYZ?" As long as it is not a core rotation, I'm sure something could be worked out, especially if you convey the need.

I don't know much about CC, but I do know that my residency program was moving to minimize floor months as much as possible. However, you could do all your electives on the floor or in the ICU (instead of doing a B.S. "research month", LOL). If you find an EM residency with a floor month, MICU and SICU rotations, then your elective months could put bring you to the minimum you need. Just a thought.

Additionally, if you are still short a month, I'm sure your residency could help you out with a swap, i.e. "Can I do a month of ICU instead of XYZ?" As long as it is not a core rotation, I'm sure something could be worked out, especially if you convey the need.

Yep.

For most 3 year programs you'd have to do another 1-2 MICU rotations during elective blocks in order to be eligible for fellowship.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends. If you do anesthesia, you have to have done 4 months of critical care, regardless the unit. If you do medicine, you have to do a total of 6 months of medicine, at least 3 of which must be MICU or CCU.

With medicine, you have the option of completing unfinished medicine time at the beginning of your fellowship. This doesn't delay graduation, just takes up some of your elective time. There's two more requirements: 1) you can't supervise medicine residents until you've completed these requirements. 2) the time can't be consult months.

Feel free to PM with questions. And yes, you can do ABIM CCM fellowship following a 3 year program.

Reactions: 1 user
Feel free to PM with questions. And yes, you can do ABIM CCM fellowship following a 3 year program.

Also planning on going the ABIM-CC route. Currently at a three year program. I'm wondering if you recommend any specific programs for being EM-friendly.

Also planning on going the ABIM-CC route. Currently at a three year program. I'm wondering if you recommend any specific programs for being EM-friendly.

Yes, PM me a little bit about what you're looking for and I can try to give you some help.

Yeah and I would lean against a four year program if you gonna do cc on top of that. Unless you enjoy being a resident forever and ever.

Reactions: 1 users