Elective advice (foreign student)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nephronlearner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am a European final year student doing rotation in the US! I have never been to an American hospital so I am obviously quite unsure about expectations and how things work in general and wouldn't want to spend the first half of my rotation adjusting!

Could someone be kind enough to tell me a bit about what is likely to be expected from me? What duties can I expect to be assigned? What topics I should review before the start of the rotation?
I know things differ between hospitals, and especially between countries so I would greatly appreciate it if someone could give me a few tips!

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
sip.gif
Med school self-reflections - Pearls of wisdom for clinical rotations, by Phloston

Hello everyone!

I am a European final year student doing a renal medicine rotation at BWH in May! I have never been to an American hospital so I am obviously quite unsure about expectations and how things work in general and wouldn't want to spend the first half of my rotation adjusting!

Could someone be kind enough to tell me a bit about what is likely to be expected from me? What duties can I expect to be assigned? What topics I should review before the start of the rotation?
I know things differ between hospitals, and especially between countries so I would greatly appreciate it if someone could give me a few tips!

Thanks a lot!

I think it'll take 1-2 weeks to equilibrate if you are not from an English-speaking country, otherwise it might be easier.

Learn abbreviations.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app