EK exam 1 ps #41

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akimhaneul

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For this question, why is the answer B? Is this question a knowledge question rather than a reading question?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 4.41.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 4.41.19 PM.png
    64.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 4.41.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 4.41.24 PM.png
    102.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 4.41.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 4.41.29 PM.png
    76.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 4.41.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 4.41.34 PM.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 37
It's a knowledge-based question combined with critical thinking. So you have to know that an individual's purpose is to propagate the genes that reside within that individual. That is the sole evolutionary drive and thus individuals are inherently selfish. So altruistic behavior must be analyzed in that context. An individual might be altruistic if it's a form of social currency - you scratch my back, I scratch yours. That helps your genes propagate. You might also be altruistic towards your relatives because there is a high chance that any particular gene that resides in you also resides in them. That helps the gene propagate. The odd one out is the last one - "saving" your aggressive behavior for outsiders doesn't really help your genes propagate. Moreover, you can "save" your aggressive behavior for outsiders without having to be altruistic at all. This isn't a binary system as the question is leading you to assume. Not being aggressive towards you doesn't mean that I have to be altruistic towards you. Not beating you over the head with a club doesn't mean I have to give you a portion of my food.

Reactions: 1 user
It's a knowledge-based question combined with critical thinking. So you have to know that an individual's purpose is to propagate the genes that reside within that individual. That is the sole evolutionary drive and thus individuals are inherently selfish. So altruistic behavior must be analyzed in that context. An individual might be altruistic if it's a form of social currency - you scratch my back, I scratch yours. That helps your genes propagate. You might also be altruistic towards your relatives because there is a high chance that any particular gene that resides in you also resides in them. That helps the gene propagate. The odd one out is the last one - "saving" your aggressive behavior for outsiders doesn't really help your genes propagate. Moreover, you can "save" your aggressive behavior for outsiders without having to be altruistic at all. This isn't a binary system as the question is leading you to assume. Not being aggressive towards you doesn't mean that I have to be altruistic towards you. Not beating you over the head with a club doesn't mean I have to give you a portion of my food.

So I'm guessing III doesn't really fit the definition of altruism?

were you able to answer this without reading the passage? I feel like passage didn't help too much in answering this question. This question feels more like knowledge question.

Last edited:
So I'm guessing III doesn't really fit the definition of altruism?

The question is basically asking you to explain why altruism exists in certain situations and III simply isn't a valid explanation. It has nothing to do with the definition of altruism.

were you able to answer this without reading the passage? I feel like passage didn't help too much in answering this question. This question feels more like knowledge question.

Yes, I answered this without reading the passage.