EK 10th bio or New TBR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kris400158

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm debating which books to buy. From anyone's experience is it still advisable to use EK for content and new TBR for passages? I have seen from a few threads that EK 10th ed. bio's passages now surpass TBR's? So now would it be advisable to just get EK 10th ed. bio I & II rather than both?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I really liked both. EK is good for quick reference while the passages in TBR are unbeatable. If I had to only choose one, it'd be TBR. However, you can't go wrong either way. For the all of the sciences, those two are head and shoulders above everything else.

I'm debating which books to buy. From anyone's experience is it still advisable to use EK for content and new TBR for passages? I have seen from a few threads that EK 10th ed. bio's passages now surpass TBR's? So now would it be advisable to just get EK 10th ed. bio I & II rather than both?

Thanks!
EK provided the highest yield information in a small amount of text. I'm triggered by Ritz crackers now though...
I have no experience with TBR, but I can vouch that EK helped me greatly on the MCAT. I would use multiple sources, regardless.

I am planning on-
BR orgo, chem, bio, and physics
EK bio, verbal 101 and FLs
TPR verbal hyper learning and psych/soci book
As well as all the AAMC material.

Anything else I should consider using?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd consider Next Step and Altius full lengths if you want practice tests that are much harder than the actual MCAT. Constantly being dissatisfied with my practice scores led me to study really hard and score highly on the actual MCAT.

I preferred TBR to EK, but I had a lot of catching up to do. I found the passages were very similar to the MCAT and helped me remember the information. They seemed to include the most important information while not going overboard.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thank you guys for your replies. I have been having trouble finding TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Notebook that isn't selling for $200+. The cheapest I could find is the 2010 version for $80. Are there any other CARS practice passages I can use, besides EK101?

did you find the answer to this?

is ek cars just as beneficial as ek 101

I actually bought both the EK 101 CARS and BR CARS and thought that while the BR CARS passages were a tad better (appropriate length and syntax compared to EK 101 which was based on old MCAT) the questions themselves weren't as good. So in my opinion, it doesn't really matter which CARS resource you use (other than the AAMC question packs), as long as you are constantly practicing.

Reactions: 1 user
I am planning on-
BR orgo, chem, bio, and physics
EK bio, verbal 101 and FLs
TPR verbal hyper learning and psych/soci book
As well as all the AAMC material.

Anything else I should consider using?

Also interested in this ^^
At the moment my plan is:
BR chem (and maybe physics)
Kaplan Biochem
TPR hyper learning

Not sure on which content books I should use for: Orgo (confident in this subject), Physics and Bio
I have Kaplan sets and EK 9th edition; was planning on just buying the chem TBR.

Any feedback would be very appreciated!

Also interested in this ^^
At the moment my plan is:
BR chem (and maybe physics)
Kaplan Biochem
TPR hyper learning

Not sure on which content books I should use for: Orgo (confident in this subject), Physics and Bio
I have Kaplan sets and EK 9th edition; was planning on just buying the chem TBR.

Any feedback would be very appreciated!

People swear by TBR in that it offers a lot of practice passages and would generally recommend you get all the books (except cars and psych/soci). To me it seems like you should get EK organic chemistry (their 30 minute exams are better than TBR, but limited amount of them), get TBR physics which is great, TBR chem which you are already planning on, Kaplan for biochem is fine and TPR hyper learning is hard to find so I just ended up with TBR CARS and EK 101 CARS.

So to recap: TBR Chem, physics, EK Orgo, Kaplan Bio/Biochem, TPR CARS. I'd also not even buy a book for psych soci and use the anki deck made on reddit. I believe I wasted much of my time by reading through and making my own notes of TBR physic book.

Reactions: 1 user
People swear by TBR in that it offers a lot of practice passages and would generally recommend you get all the books (except cars and psych/soci). To me it seems like you should get EK organic chemistry (their 30 minute exams are better than TBR, but limited amount of them), get TBR physics which is great, TBR chem which you are already planning on, Kaplan for biochem is fine and TPR hyper learning is hard to find so I just ended up with TBR CARS and EK 101 CARS.

So to recap: TBR Chem, physics, EK Orgo, Kaplan Bio/Biochem, TPR CARS. I'd also not even buy a book for psych soci and use the anki deck made on reddit. I believe I wasted much of my time by reading through and making my own notes of TBR physic book.

Thanks! Will definitely consider adding a Physics TBR book. Did you mistakenly say TBR physics instead of Psych Soc? (Last 3 words of your message)

Thanks! Will definitely consider adding a Physics TBR book. Did you mistakenly say TBR physics instead of Psych Soc? (Last 3 words of your message)
I meant TPR psych/soci. Would have just been faster to use the anki deck made on reddit and do practice exams/section bank to get use to the question types. Start anki early though, so every word becomes second nature/common vernacular to you

I personally prefer TBR over EK for all of the sciences, but there is value in both books. For my tastes, I like how the answer explanations in TBR teach me test strategy and content. That is what makes them better. TBR has nearly twice as many practice questions, and that is the meat of your prep.

Reactions: 1 users