This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ag20md

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just taken off the waitlist at Einstein and am conflicted. 28 y/o M non-trad moving from SF to NYC. Background in software sales and real estate before making the switch.

Any and all input would be appreciated!

Downstate

Pros
  • -- Live off campus in a fun part of New York = better dating scene, more diversity of people to interact with, feels more like living in a city
  • -- (Supposedly) Incredible clinical experience, a big priority for me
  • Really like the education model with the Neuro and Clinical Educator pathways + Integrated Pathways Curriculum = more clinical focus (1.5 pre/2.5 clinical)
  • Better interview day; really connected with my interviewer and liked the students I saw and met; really good vibes

Cons
  • -- No savings on tuition as COL and OOS Tuition for first year make it same price as Einstein (~$320,000 when all is said and done)
  • -- Comparable, albeit slightly worse match list compared to Einstein, esp. when it comes to West Coast matches (another big priority)
  • Not getting a great vibe from admissions office in terms of accessibility and competence; seems like there isn't much investment in school's administrative staff (not a huge deal but not a great look either)
  • Not much of a rep on the West Coast
  • Older buildings, but Einstein ain't much better TBH...

Einstein
Pros
  • -- Great reputation within medical community = prestige, name recognition, slight edge in matches
  • -- Possibly cheaper (I haven't accepted yet so no news on any Aid)
  • -- Research oriented; not something that is a priority for me necessarily, but an area of medicine
  • Excellent hospital system as well, although I am unsure how the clinical rep at Einstein stacks up to Downstate
  • Campus vibe, which could also be a con. As an older non-trad I'm worried I might get bored stuck way out in campus island that is Einstein, although it seems like they do a good job of fostering a communal environment. The jury's out for me on this.

Cons
  • -- Campus Island in the Bronx
  • -- Higher Tuition, but unknowable at this point if that will change
  • -- Older education model
  • -- OK interview session, had a nice talk with my interviewer but we didn't connect and she prep before the interview

Summary: Feels like this boils down to reputation vs. lifestyle, but with many shades of gray on each side. Any insight from current students or applicants would be welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Einstein - better school. However, DS = state price. I feel you fam. Is there any friends or people you know at each of the schools to ask this kind of stuff to? You might also have better luck checking out the Einstein or Downstate school forums and asking there, medical students tend to lurk on those pages as well.

Einstein - better school. However, DS = state price. I feel you fam. Is there any friends or people you know at each of the schools to ask this kind of stuff to? You might also have better luck checking out the Einstein or Downstate school forums and asking there, medical students tend to lurk on those pages as well.

Thanks for the input Dr. Stalker. I threw up a post in both spots so hopefully the advice comes rolling in...

Ideally, I could go do a shadow day at both places (i got into Downstate in May), but that ship has sailed and I need to let Einstein know by Friday (or Sunday? They said 5 days and I got the notice yesterday...).

Anyway, thanks for the feedback!

Einstein is also known for their clinical experience. As someone who has worked and lived near the city, Bronx area where Einstein is not bad also a bit quieter and cheap rent which is gold to me. Majority of students live in a building right across the school and rent is more like $450 if you have a roommate. Downstate area where on campus housing looked really dingy, probably off campus is better. But overall you will spend double or triple on rent in the Brooklyn area so consider that when you look at finances. Einstein has I think a better reputation in general but you won't go wrong if you choose Downstate

Members don't see this ad :)
What are your future goals? Have you thought about what field you want to pursue? Both DS and Einstein are great institutions and will provide excellent clinical exposure, but I think Einstein has the slight edge by being the more reputable school. At the end of the day, choose the school where you feel happiest and where you think you can achieve your goals. Best of luck!