Effect of psychiatry on personal life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

igottaquestion

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does practicing psychiatry affect one's personal life, positively or negatively? (e.g., is it saddening to frequently work up and manage depression, is it a source of personal growth to get to know patients and the details of their stories, etc?)

Members don't see this ad.

As you'll see from many other threads, every field of medicine has significant stressors and benefits. The things you mention are probably true for everyone, but to widely varying degrees.

I found that inpatient adolescent care demoralized me enough to create problems, outpatient appts and inpt wards bore me too much. Emergency psychiatry keeps me active, challenged, and excited (sometimes a bit too much according to those around me). But every year or two, I take on additional shifts for a few months helping the outpatient clinics because A) my boss asks me and he deserves whatever help I can provide and B) seeing people motivated to get better, people who do get better, the chance to get to know patients on a deeper level are all helpful to me personally and professionally (I'm a huge fan of cross-training in whatever system you find yourself). I love helping to teach the PA students at our hospital and I'm very excited that we'll be involved in the new Med School set to open here in about a year. I LOVE teaching (not so sure they love my teaching).

A friend has just signed contracts to do private inpt/outpt in the AM's and a combo of public sector walk-in clinic and emergency psych in the afternoons. For now, he'll be working 14 hrs/day, 5 days/week. I've threatened to fit him with an implantable defibrillator for which I keep a remote control - but I can't decide whether to attach the wires to his heart or his brain. But that's what he wants - for now. He knows he'll probably feel differently in 2-3 years.

Take home:
You can create whatever combination works best for you, and that can be changed some every few years as you learn you have different goals, needs, capacities. If one aspect or mode becomes personally taxing (or boring), CHANGE IT.

As you'll see from many other threads, every field of medicine has significant stressors and benefits. The things you mention are probably true for everyone, but to widely varying degrees.

I found that inpatient adolescent care demoralized me enough to create problems, outpatient appts and inpt wards bore me too much. Emergency psychiatry keeps me active, challenged, and excited (sometimes a bit too much according to those around me). But every year or two, I take on additional shifts for a few months helping the outpatient clinics because A) my boss asks me and he deserves whatever help I can provide and B) seeing people motivated to get better, people who do get better, the chance to get to know patients on a deeper level are all helpful to me personally and professionally (I'm a huge fan of cross-training in whatever system you find yourself). I love helping to teach the PA students at our hospital and I'm very excited that we'll be involved in the new Med School set to open here in about a year. I LOVE teaching (not so sure they love my teaching).

A friend has just signed contracts to do private inpt/outpt in the AM's and a combo of public sector walk-in clinic and emergency psych in the afternoons. For now, he'll be working 14 hrs/day, 5 days/week. I've threatened to fit him with an implantable defibrillator for which I keep a remote control - but I can't decide whether to attach the wires to his heart or his brain. But that's what he wants - for now. He knows he'll probably feel differently in 2-3 years.

Take home:
You can create whatever combination works best for you, and that can be changed some every few years as you learn you have different goals, needs, capacities. If one aspect or mode becomes personally taxing (or boring), CHANGE IT.

Kugel, how did adolescent units demoralize you?

Anyone, how do you prevent acquiring a restricted affect I've noticed in some residents/attendings? Or, is it done intentionally when interacting with patients and becomes hard to resume making the once natural facial expressions that reflect your true emotions/personality? Does my question make sense?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone, how do you prevent acquiring a restricted affect I've noticed in some residents/attendings? Or, is it done intentionally when interacting with patients and becomes hard to resume making the once natural facial expressions that reflect your true emotions/personality? Does my question make sense?

Complete sense, as it fits with what I've also seen from many attendings. I'm curious as well.

And thanks for the thoughtful response, kugel.

Anyone, how do you prevent acquiring a restricted affect I've noticed in some residents/attendings?

When I first worked as an attending last year, after a few months, I knew which doctors were the psychologists, and which were the medical doctors.

But there was one I hadn't met yet, and I didn't know.

I met him, shook his hand and he smiled. He was warm and friendly.

I immediately knew he was the psychologist.

Why is this? IMHO medical training involves a heck of a lot more self-denial than psychology training. We've had the debate before on which field is harder, which IMHO is moot. Even if one field is harder, it's not going to get us anywhere other than to assign narcissistic bragging rights. Even if we were to say for example that psychiatry was "harder", I've still seen several psychologists where I'd put more faith in their clinical skills than several psychiatrists, and we medical doctors full knew what we were getting into. I've seen several psychologists who, on their own, put more into their own training and knowledge than most medical doctors I know.

But I'll tell you this. I never seen any other field where one is forced to pull an all-night on the order of possibly 3 or more times a week--for years! I've never seen psychology graduate students having to sleep in the hospital (or the university) because if they drove home they might kill someone because they were up for the last 48 hrs with no sleep, and being expected to delivery top quality work. We encounter cold and condescending teachers, and "pimping" is a regular phenomenon. The training we receive in medical school IMHO in some ways dehumanizes us and kills some of our emotions.

Several medical doctors (and this is not the Ph.D.s) I've seen suffer from some type of negative effect on their personality as a result of their medical education: medical education induced Asperger's, narcicissm, obsessive compulsive personality DO, a rocky marriage, etc.

Getting specifically to psychiatry, every field has several things that one could find distressing. Having someone die, for example, on the surgery table may or may not be as distressing to someone as listening to one's troubles.

What I find enjoyable about psychiatry, a lot of other doctors hate.

I can say though that like Kugel, I too did not like child and adolescent psychiatry.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Man, so the restricted affect is not a sign of jedi mastery, as I had hoped.

Does anyone else (besides kugel, as described) derive positive "personal growth" from this line of work, that they might not as another type of physician?

But I'll tell you this. I never seen any other field where one is forced to pull an all-night on the order of possibly 3 or more times a week--for years! I've never seen psychology graduate students having to sleep in the hospital (or the university) because if they drove home they might kill someone because they were up for the last 48 hrs with no sleep, and being expected to delivery top quality work. We encounter cold and condescending teachers, and "pimping" is a regular phenomenon. The training we receive in medical school IMHO in some ways dehumanizes us and kills some of our emotions.

Several medical doctors (and this is not the Ph.D.s) I've seen suffer from some type of negative effect on their personality as a result of their medical education: medical education induced Asperger's, narcicissm, obsessive compulsive personality DO, a rocky marriage, etc.

Getting specifically to psychiatry, every field has several things that one could find distressing. Having someone die, for example, on the surgery table may or may not be as distressing to someone as listening to one's troubles.

What I find enjoyable about psychiatry, a lot of other doctors hate.

I can say though that like Kugel, I too did not like child and adolescent psychiatry.

This is another great post, whopper. As a med student and even as a tired intern I had some of the same observations as other posters. Nowadays, I can understand why so many attendings, in all medical fields, often have the 'restricted' affect or act a bit strange. People probably notice it more with psychiatrists because they are conditioned to look for it. This is likely due to the stereotype psychiatrists are portrayed in the media for the past 50+ years or so.
You meet a physician who is a bit strange and he tells you he is a cardiologist or endocrinologist or whatever. You brush it off and think little of it. But if he tells you he is a psychiatrist then more often than not you'll say to yourself "ah, that explains it". Then you walk off and pat yourself on the back because you had guessed right.

Has anyone notice how well dressed and happy the PhDs, PsyDs, and LICSWs, trainees or not, are at their hospitals? Perhaps by not having years taken off their lives by sleep deprivation and severe stress have alot to do with it.

Reactions: 2 users
You meet a physician who is a bit strange and he tells you he is a cardiologist or endocrinologist or whatever. You brush it off and think little of it. But if he tells you he is a psychiatrist then more often than not you'll say to yourself "ah, that explains it". Then you walk off and pat yourself on the back because you had guessed right.

Come to think of it, did notice something a bit odd with a neuro attending. Couldn't pinpoint what it was, but his aura was almost eerie. My curiosity was piqued. What was going on inside his head? But, yes, I did eventually brush it off. Had it been a psych attending I would have been more likely to formulate all sorts of hypotheses.

However, I also think if you're happy with the field you are in and truly enjoy delivering patient care, it somehow shows on your face and how you interact with members of the team especially those junior to you.

In the end, I chose psychiatry and like to think you can tell I am happy with my decision. My goal is not to let the rigors of residency training drain my enthusiasm because I'm now in a very busy, urban, dangerous environment.

And I particularly don't want psychiatric training to change my affect. Keep smiling as appropriately possible and maintain a social life? Or, is it just inevitable we change?

Some become more quiet, subdued, withdrawn. Some become a bit wacky? How do you stay somewhere in between?

Come to think of it, did notice something a bit odd with a neuro attending. Couldn't pinpoint what it was, but his aura was almost eerie. My curiosity was piqued. What was going on inside his head? But, yes, I did eventually brush it off. Had it been a psych attending I would have been more likely to formulate all sorts of hypotheses.

However, I also think if you're happy with the field you are in and truly enjoy delivering patient care, it somehow shows on your face and how you interact with members of the team especially those junior to you.

In the end, I chose psychiatry and like to think you can tell I am happy with my decision. My goal is not to let the rigors of residency training drain my enthusiasm because I'm now in a very busy, urban, dangerous environment.

And I particularly don't want psychiatric training to change my affect. Keep smiling as appropriately possible and maintain a social life? Or, is it just inevitable we change?

Some become more quiet, subdued, withdrawn. Some become a bit wacky? How do you stay somewhere in between?

Happy people make happy doctors.

Key to sanity--have a social life/support network OUTSIDE OF MEDICINE/HEALTHCARE. I love socializing with my colleagues, but I love even more hanging out with "real people", where we aren't always chatting about work gossip, etc...

Keep in mind too, that as you go through med school and residency, you're going through all of the other adjustments to adulthood that non-medical people go through in their late 20s/early 30s (and beyond). A LOT of life happens to people in these decades. I know that my values as a 38 year old resident had shifted subtly since my undergrad enthusiasms. Expect growth and change.

Reactions: 1 users
Kugel, how did adolescent units demoralize you?

adolescent units demoralized me by worrying a lot about the kids while I had a day off, found myself constantly wanted to "defend" them from their abusive/neglectful parents, etc., etc. Emergency work suited me MUCH better: work hard, take your best shot, go home. Many of the patients you'll get to see again sometime and you can try it differently then.

My affect is much larger when on the unit. I have a bigger smile, a bigger frown, my head tilts back and forth, the timbre of my voice has a much wider range. I want my patients to be able to see, hear, feel, that I'm understanding what they're saying. And if my affect doesn't seem to fit what they meant, then I need clarification from the patient - and that process gets me even more information. It feels me like I barely show any affect at all outside the unit.

Reactions: 1 user
It feels me like I barely show any affect at all outside the unit.

And that's what I'm so very curious about. Why is it diminished outside the unit? Why does this happen to psychiatrists?

Cool thread. I love how although this is a topic that really applies to every specialty of medicine, that it's the kind of thing that would actually get DISCUSSED in a psychiatry forum.

I agree with what was said earlier about how medical training takes a whole lot out of a person. Now that I'm ALMOST finished my psychiatry residency, it's been interesting to reflect on what the last 5 years have been like, and it's not exactly all roses. Yes, it's the actual nature of the training (frequent call nights, 24 hour shifts). Yes, it's the fact that there's this "hazing" sense to medical training in general (as mentioned earlier, the pimping, denigrating comments, etc.). Yes, it's the fact that we see LOTS of terribly sick patients, once again, often on-call in the middle of the night with next-to-no support (the number of new patients I'll see on a call shift might be equal to the number of new patients someone doing outpatients will see in a week). And on top of this, if you think about a residency, it's several years of being in a position in which you ultimately still don't get to make your own decisions, or make your own calls about patient management. This situation is in no way unique to Psychiatry. I just happen to think we're one of the only specialties that will talk about it.

Regardless of what kind of "front" someone might put forward, if you talk seriously with any resident, this has an impact on you in some way. Perhaps in the ways that have been discussed earlier.

Would be curious to hear from anyone who's been in practice for a little while about if the feelings from the nature of the training pass, if ever. I suspect that the answer is highly individual, because time and time again the "hazing" aspect to medical training still continues.

I've been out of residency 2 years. I spent one year as an attending, and one year as a fellow.

In fellowship, my butt was kicked, but IMHO, it's not hazing, but a clear and valid ego-dystonic process of being taught by the best and having to undo some bad habits. E.g. I've had to write reports, and I had to have people point out that medical jargon is not understandable by judge and juries. 8 years of having that hammered into my head, and now I've got to get it hammered back to being able to write like a human being, not a medical doctor.

I think part of problem in medical education is we're going through a culture change where the hazing element is getting some backlash. People have realized that they don't want a doctor who's been up 48 hrs. straight providing them care. ACGME guidelines have been created to provide residents some protection.

This culture change, however, will likely take several more years, if not decades to cross-over. There are still programs that operate in clear violation of the guidelines. Residents are often in a position where they do not want to contest violations because they believe the program will be able to narrow down who was the whistle-blower. Despite the guidelines, there are still programs that intentionally foster a "malignant" atmosphere and want to keep residents in fear.

Aside from that, another problem is several medical doctors aren't good teachers, yet the very supply/demand dynamics of the profession pushes several doctors into teaching positions who can't teach. Several programs have problems finding a doctor to take a position period. So if it's a teaching position, the hospital will likely not care much about the quality of the teaching so long as the floors are attended. I've even seen hospitals willing to keep bad doctors who aren't even attending to the floors. When these doctors mess up, the hospital takes it out on the floor staff because they're more expendable, or even the residents.

I've also seen several attendings in teaching programs state they're doing in it on the full expectation of wanting an easy job where they could've made the residents do their dirty work. While I was a chief resident, the attendings that didn't do as much teaching, I didn't put residents on call with them when I had the opportunity (the number of resident calls available could not fill all the call requirements leaving a few nights/month with only an attending on call). I figured-it should be a merit system. If an attending is actually teaching, then that attending should have a resident. If not, then they don't get one. Apparently, I was the only chief who thought of this and implemented it in years. I had an attending come up to me in anger demanding I give him residents (and it's the same one I mentioned later on below). I told him that the call schedule was worked out and approved by the dept. head and I, so if he had a problem, he had to go to the dept. head. Leave me out of it, and that dept. head was well aware that he was not teaching. Checkmate. He knew he couldn't complain to her without revealing why he really wanted a resident, so he let it be though he was ticked with me.

Aside from the doctors, ironically the good doctors also can cause this problem. I'm not talking about doctors that are good because they can teach. I'm talking doctors that are phenomenal in research, but they are poor teachers. Some of them view teaching as a chore. I've had that problem for years in college. Several of my professors openly stated in class that they hated teaching, and if we didn't like their piss poor performance, too bad--drop out of the class. Problem at Rutgers is several of these classes were required for our major and there were no alternatives. Another problem was that by the time you figure out the class was bad, you were trapped. You can't (or at least when I was there you couldn't) drop a class after two weeks. Compare that to several other schools where you can drop out of a class up until (sometimes even with) the final exam. These professors brought in research dollars, so the fact that they didn't produce happy students was menial in the eyes of the administration. (And let me make this clear, I, like many of you are full aware that our best teachers didn't make things easy on us. They challenged us, but they also cared about the quality of their teaching. They didn't make things hard for the sake of hard. They did it for us to learn. A teacher that actually makes a tough but good teaching experience is likely putting a lot more work and effort into his teaching than a bad teacher who makes things tough on a resident because he's lazy.).

Intellectual narcissism is also an element. I've seen several doctors who may be performing better, or scoring better, what have you, enjoy that, and allow it to be a self-indicator of superiority. I've seen this phenomenon dramatically increase in some institutions with a rep for having on average students and residents with higher scores, (although I've also seen several good institutions where this is not the case). I know at least a few doctors where I asked them a question because I wanted to learn, and the doctor, not knowing the answer blew up in anger. Hmm, maybe they just could've done what I thought the best PD I ever had did. Just say you don't know, and then mention that all of us have to figure out what the answer is before the next time we meet.

As for medical doctors, several of them don't want to go through the process of learning to be a good teacher. IMHO a lot of this is due to the medical culture that puts doctors at the top. IMHO, a valid method is for residents to score the performance of their attendings. I've seen attendings in meetings blow up in anger when they got less than stellar reviews from residents on their teaching. While I was a chief resident, I talked to an attending about the residents' complaints and he said something to the effect that he earned the right to spend less than an hour a day at work, while the residents did everything, and all he wanted to do was sign their notes without even reviewing them with the resident. He mentioned that being an attending was an honor, and that he earned it, and in what I interpreted as his attempt to dampen my concern over this issue, mentioned that I was about to earn this same honor in a few months as if we were colleagues.

(Hmm, well needless to say I was ticked off with this guy. I was even more ticked off that he did this for several several months before anything really happened, but at least at the end of my year, a new department head was hired who told this attending to either do his job or he would be fired. Some people in the program told me later on they had reason to believe he was double dipping--working at two places at once during the same hours.)

(Overall, I thought I was in a great program. Despite I wrote above--which really did happen, I've seen these types of things happen everywhere. The problem IMHO is not that these things happen, but the program's response. Just like a residency program will most likely get a bad resident over a period of time, same goes with attendings. That does not make a program bad. It's a lack of response or a bad response that is bad.)

Bottom line is our education needs to be tough, but IMHO, the education chain is full of conflicts of interest and excessive hazing. To be honest, I actually do think there is some benefit to someone having worked 48 hours straight and some other tough elements of residency. IMHO utilizing a preplanned, occasional fartlek (and yes, that is a real world) to make residents a little tougher is not a bad thing (but with that, the resident should be allowed an extra day off, and a ride home provided by someone else). Problem with that is when it's allowed, several hospitals will push it for the wrong reasons--cheap labor, and lazy attendings.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Did anyone watch bostonmed last night? Notice how many of the ED and surg docs carry the restricted affect? Kinda interesting if you look for it.

A relevant excerpt from a thoughtful article by Dr. Nasrallah, available for free after registration at

http://www.currentpsychiatry.com/CollectionContent.asp?CollectionID=35&UID=

"Consider the training consequences of other medical specialties: surgeons become adept at navigating structural anatomy with superb dexterity to extricate lesions, repair wounds, or transplant organs; radiologists excel at scanning complex black and white patterns in radiographic images to detect the subtlest pathologies or anomalies; pathologists pinpoint cause of death with autopsies and elegant tissue examinations; and obstetricians become virtuosos of birthing or repairing intricate reproductive structures.

We psychiatrists go well beyond the standard medical history, physical exam, and laboratory findings. Our major skills are detecting gross and minute deviations in the mental status exam and the range and nuances of patients' behaviors, insight, judgment, cognition, coping skills, internal conflicts, drives, compulsions, thought processes, personality traits, decision-making, resilience, social skills, interpersonal adroitness, truthfulness, emotiveness, impulsivity, ambition, perceptions, perceptiveness, verbal and nonverbal communications, defense mechanisms, and outlook on life.

We also integrate our complex observations and findings with the rich collage of each patient's unique cultural, religious, and educational background. We strive to find hidden or higher meaning in patients' symptoms, words, and actions. We assess their potential lethality toward themselves or others and examine the often tortuous course of their existence. And, unlike other physicians, we observe their transference toward us and simultaneously examine our own conscious or subconscious countertransference—channeled via thoughts, emotions, and behavior—and we scrutinize potential or real boundary violations by patients and ourselves and act judiciously. No other specialty has as wide or deep a view as psychiatry of the totality of people's lives."

[Not sure if I'm in violation of rules by posting this. If so, please remove.]

Is that a real thing?

Absolutely. The teaching rubric of medical school is a phenomenologically different approach for medicine than it is for psychology. We work very closely with psychology interns in our program (which I love.) One topic that comes up frequently, is that the psychiatrists make the psychology interns incredibly uncomfortable with aggressive pimping, black/white concepts, and an overall patriarchal approach to health. Medicine values competency ("getting the right answer") whereas I think psychology focuses more on therapeutic response ("making the patient feel better"). This is reflected in our work environments. Psychologists often get to partner with patients for treatment and actively engage in psychotherapy which is a really strong partnership/bonding experience. Psychiatrists are often the "bad guys" in the therapeutic relationship. We are the ones that pursue involuntary admissions/commitment, treatment over objection, and cause medication side effects. Becoming a doctor is a surprisingly dehumanizing experience overall, and that often bleeds into your personal relationships as well. It's not hard to see how this extends to professional relationships as well. It's not hard from my perspective to see why most doctors are seen as dinguses by the general public. The 8-year educational process really forces you to prioritize pragmatism, efficiency, and competency above all else.

Reactions: 7 users
To expand on that, I don't think there's any real evidence that medical training changes someone in the ways others in this thread describe. It has not been my experience based on myself and what I can see in my co-residents. Certainly we grow up and mature to some degree, but that was likely to happen anyway as we did get older.

Given what others have posted it seems that some feel changed negatively by this process, but it's definitely not a given that it will occur.

To expand on that, I don't think there's any real evidence that medical training changes someone in the ways others in this thread describe. It has not been my experience based on myself and what I can see in my co-residents. Certainly we grow up and mature to some degree, but that was likely to happen anyway as we did get older.

Given what others have posted it seems that some feel changed negatively by this process, but it's definitely not a given that it will occur.

Completely agree. Psychiatry residency helped me mature so much and I definitely think I am a better friend and significant other than pre-training. My ruthless pragmatism has even been toned down by all my patient encounters, the opposite of what was described above. Most people I started residency with became much better versions of themselves as well.

Reactions: 3 users
Is that a real thing?
With the advent of DSM-5, medical education induced Asperger's has been changed to medical education induced autism spectrum disorder mild requiring minimal support without accompanying cognitive or language impairment. I especially like the docs who have developed a unique sub-type of echolalia that involves speaking almost exclusively in acronyms and medical jargon. ;)

Seriously though, I am pretty sure that medical education will not change your cognitive profile much, but you do have to be able to process and regurgitate tons of data and frequently people that are really good at doing that can have relative deficits in social and/or emotional abilities. Is Asperger's a real disorder anyway or is it within the realm of normative variation of cognitive abilities or patterns? Most patients that I have treated who had Apserger's had anxiety or depression that were sequlae of the "disorder" or other life stressors that other neurotypical (whatever the heck that means) more than anything else.

Man, so the restricted affect is not a sign of jedi mastery, as I had hoped.

Does anyone else (besides kugel, as described) derive positive "personal growth" from this line of work, that they might not as another type of physician?

Heck yeah. Knowing how to do motivational interviewing and CBT does turn you into an interpersonal jedi master.
I use basic therapeutic techniques on family members and personal acquaintances all. the. time.
They work great on kids - most of the parenting books out there are watered-down distillations of MI/CBT.
I also recall finding therapy techniques extremely helpful for dealing with cranky consultants from other services when I was still in training.

Reactions: 6 users
I see a lot of you are married with kids, did you guys get married before residency, after residency, during residency? I grew up believing that getting married and having a family was one of the Hallmarks of a "normal" mentally stable person, but as I get near 30 I realize I don't want the responsibility of a family, and that doesn't necessarily mean there is something wrong with me.

A relevant excerpt from a thoughtful article by Dr. Nasrallah, available for free after registration at

http://www.currentpsychiatry.com/CollectionContent.asp?CollectionID=35&UID=

"Consider the training consequences of other medical specialties: surgeons become adept at navigating structural anatomy with superb dexterity to extricate lesions, repair wounds, or transplant organs; radiologists excel at scanning complex black and white patterns in radiographic images to detect the subtlest pathologies or anomalies; pathologists pinpoint cause of death with autopsies and elegant tissue examinations; and obstetricians become virtuosos of birthing or repairing intricate reproductive structures. [Psychiatrists are skilled at dealing with people who think and behave different than an imagined norm.]

Kinda sanctimonious, fixed.

I see a lot of you are married with kids, did you guys get married before residency, after residency, during residency? I grew up believing that getting married and having a family was one of the Hallmarks of a "normal" mentally stable person, but as I get near 30 I realize I don't want the responsibility of a family, and that doesn't necessarily mean there is something wrong with me.

Before. Our culture promotes extended adolescence, there are some very interesting reads on the topic. Medical training makes it easier to delay these things -- my resident colleagues are more quasi-college grad student mode as compared to those who have been in the workforce 5+ years. I started my family at 25 which seems early these days, but would have been viewed under a different light 50 years ago. To each their own! Interesting to see what the next generation's experience will be.

It was something I had to adjust to- my skin thickened a lot and it took a bit of experience to develop some emotional distance from what I see at work.

I think I'm a much different person than I used to be. I consider it growth, but it certainly isn't freedom from stress or happiness. Personally I'd rather have a full life than a happy life, if that makes any sense.

"The patient is the one with the disease." -The Fat Man.

I'm not married. I have no children. I have a long term gf. I feel like I am just getting started with my life. Need to pay off my loans. I am married to my loans. lol Gonna try and get a divorce in a few months.