Edward Via COM - Virginia Campus (VCOM-VC) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know if this is true. I emailed them Wednesday, and got a response Thursday saying that I hadn't been ranked. But it's weird because I called them two weeks before that and they told me I was in the middle. What's going on here?
That's weird. I was told that I was in the middle tier too. Maybe they are re-ranking everyone. They never give a straight answer when it comes to waitlist.

Members don't see this ad.

Also to clarify - they had said they hadn't set up a "date" to rank the waitlist because the director of admissions had been out of town.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I am planning on applying to this school in this 2018 cycle. I was wondering what you guys think about my chances with 3.4 sgpa, 3.6 cgpa (GPA still needs to get verified but I think this is it) and 498 MCAT? I am also OOS.

has anyone received an email regarding guaranteed admission for the class on 2022 yet?

has anyone received an email regarding guaranteed admission for the class on 2022 yet?

I kept being told they don't review files for next year's class until August...which doesn't make any sense.

Anyone hear anything yet? This thread has been super quiet...I'm just wondering when they're going to start giving out the early acceptances for next year.

This is an FYI, a friend of mine at VCOM was telling me a lot about the school. Apparently a large majority of the school have been struggling with a class so they asked for help and the students and faculty received the following email. VCOM seems like a great school from all other accounts but it seems that some of the faculty are not always so nice about helping their students when they need help.

upload_2017-6-14_18-3-29.png

Members don't see this ad :)
This is an FYI, a friend of mine at VCOM was telling me a lot about the school. Apparently a large majority of the school have been struggling with a class so they asked for help and the students and faculty received the following email. VCOM seems like a great school from all other accounts but it seems that some of the faculty are not always so nice about helping their students when they need help.

View attachment 220200

I'm just gonna say that this doesn't sound so mean... maybe it's the military in me, but sometimes people gotta buck up to the task. Medicine isn't a place for thin skins either.

Also the professor IS helping the student, by forcing them to learn in a uncertain environment - there is no grading rubric in the real world.

A little sarcastic, sure.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
I'm just gonna say that this doesn't sound so mean... maybe it's the military in me, but sometimes people gotta buck up to the task. Medicine isn't a place for thin skins either.

Also the professor IS helping the student, by forcing them to learn in a uncertain environment - there is no grading rubric in the real world.

A little sarcastic, sure.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
I agree that doesn't seem bad to me at all. Nothing wrong with making us think some.

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users

View attachment 220200

As a current student I can say that VCOM faculty is usually very helpful. But as others have noted, you're going not going to be handed a grading rubric in the real world. They want you to start thinking like a doctor now.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah I'm a current student and laughed out loud at whoever sent that e-mail. They need to stop worrying about grades and start worrying about learning

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know when to apply for the federal loans? I'm new to financial aid and can't get a response from the financial aid office

Does anyone know when to apply for the federal loans? I'm new to financial aid and can't get a response from the financial aid office

You need to fill out FAFSA, Sign up for NetPartner and fill out their version of "applying for aid". You may want to read through the handbook- "Financial Aid" section, it is much more detailed then what I just said. I've heard they are processing award letters by the end of this month.

FAFSA and met partner are done for me...is there anything else I should do now?

has anyone received a top 5 email or anything? do they still send those??

I'm officially giving up on hoping this campus will have any more waitlist movement. The other two campuses have been updating their students on the waitlist. This one has done nothing :( good luck to everyone!

I'm officially giving up on hoping this campus will have any more waitlist movement. The other two campuses have been updating their students on the waitlist. This one has done nothing :( good luck to everyone!

Don't give up hope just yet. Waitlist movement only happens when people withdraw from the class. Which means people are withdrawing from the other two schools and not VCOM Virginia.

Be persistent, keep updating them, make yourself into a candidate fit for the school, and you still have a chance. If they can't get you in this year you at least might get a deferred acceptance. Which is still an acceptance. Seems like a good deal if you didn't get in anywhere else this year.

I got a deferred acceptance last August, so I know how you feel. Turned out it was one of the best things that ever happened to me. Seriously. I am much more prepared for medical school now than I was a year ago. I'll send you a PM.

Keep your head up! At least you weren't rejected outright. It can always be worse.

Last edited:
Don't give up hope just yet. Waitlist movement only happens when people withdraw from the class. Which means people are withdrawing from the other two schools and not VCOM Virginia.

Be persistent, keep updating them, make yourself into a candidate fit for the school, and you still have a chance. If they can't get you in this year you at least might get a deferred acceptance. Which is still an acceptance. Seems like a good deal if you didn't get in anywhere else this year.

Keep your head up! At least you weren't rejected outright. It can always be worse.

Thank you for your positivity. I really appreciate it. I would love to get a deferred acceptance, but it doesn't seem like anyone has heard anything about that for this campus. I'll just silently wait lol.

Hey everyone, I recently withdrew my acceptance. Very hard decision as I absolutely loved this school when I visited and am sure I would've been very happy attending. Hopefully, this means one of you hears good news soon!!

Reactions: 1 user
Hmm...i thought maybe a few would bc that happens closer to the first week of classes...just want to stay hopeful i guess...but i can understand what u mean also....thanks

I have a C grade in physics. Will it hurt my interview chances ?
Gpa is 3.7 and MCAT 505 VA resident
Need a sincere advice

Thanks ,I am so happy
What are your stats Gek08002,if you do not mind please?

i got my first interview from WCUCOM I am so excited

Anyone have thoughts on my chances;
cGPA- 3.56
sGPA- 3.39
MCAT- 496 (I know. I focused on the wrong things when studying. Retaking in January regardless)
Exp: 5 years military medicine to include humanitarian mission and 3 years as an ER Technician

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Anyone have thoughts on my chances;
cGPA- 3.56
sGPA- 3.39
MCAT- 496 (I know. I focused on the wrong things when studying. Retaking in January regardless)
Exp: 5 years military medicine to include humanitarian mission and 3 years as an ER Technician

Make sure you ask about the Veterans Scholarship for sure! Waived the secondary fee and lots of perks for interview day!

Make sure you ask about the Veterans Scholarship for sure! Waived the secondary fee and lots of perks for interview day!

I didn't know anything about it! I'll have to look into it. My major concern is the poor MCAT score I feel fairly confident in the rest of my application.

I didn't know anything about it! I'll have to look into it. My major concern is the poor MCAT score I feel fairly confident in the rest of my application.

Just contact the admissions office about the scholarship. I would just tailor your secondary around your military experience and interest in PC/rural communities. VCOM loves vets so that will be a big plus! I do know that were people accepted with sub-500 MCATs so don't lose hope. If you really want to attend VCOM then make it apparent.

Just contact the admissions office about the scholarship. I would just tailor your secondary around your military experience and interest in PC/rural communities. VCOM loves vets so that will be a big plus! I do know that were people accepted with sub-500 MCATs so don't lose hope. If you really want to attend VCOM then make it apparent.

Thanks for the advice! I'll submit my secondary the reach out to them about those details. I'd love to move back home to VA.

Y'all think there will be anymore last minute movement....week before class starts?

Anyone know what their secondary questions are? I plan to apply for this cycle and there is no thread for 2017-2018. Help a brother out.

Professionalism and the ability to gain respect in the community in which you live is of utmost importance as you embark upon a career as a physician. What three professional qualities do you feel a Student Doctor must be able to demonstrate as he/or she makes the transition into the study and practice of medicine. How will you demonstrate those qualities as a medical student at VCOM?

I talked about proper time-management, critical thinking, and interpersonal skills. are these good qualities?