Edward Via COM - Virginia Campus (VCOM-VC) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else think they waitlist everyone that has a sub 500 MCAT? I hope this isn't true but it just seems like a trend. Is there anyone that was accepted with a 497-499?
I was accepted with a 500 so they definitely look at the whole app. You probably need a high GPA and a very solid app but it's definitely possible!

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone hear anything about any waitlist movement yet?

I just got an acceptance off the waitlist the other day with an mcat of 23 (I think 496 on the new one). So there's hope! :)
Ahh that's amazing! Did you have a high GPA? How did they notify you? Did you give them an update?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is everyone's opinion on the 80% attendance policy? Would any current students mind sharing their experience with that (did you have enough time to study every day and prep for boards while maintaining some kind of balance)?
Thanks!

I'm a current first-year student, so can't speak to the board studying, as I won't get into that until next year, but generally, you'll have time to study with the attendance policy.
Most days, classes end between noon and 2-3pm, so you will still have time both to study and have a life.
People will generally skip classes when if there are several big exams one right after another, but in general, the 80% attendance isn't a big deal.

Thank you so much!

Anyone else think they waitlist everyone that has a sub 500 MCAT? I hope this isn't true but it just seems like a trend. Is there anyone that was accepted with a 497-499?

I was just accepted off of the waitlist with a <497. Will be sharing my story soon. Don't give up!

Reactions: 3 users
I was just accepted off of the waitlist with a <497. Will be sharing my story soon. Don't give up!

Please do! I'm really starting to lose hope :( I thought my stats were good for this school.

Hey guys do we withdraw by just sending an email?

Does anyone know when we will receive notice of our rank on the waitlist? or expect to hear anything back in that regard? I send in updates as necessary and I feel that I have a pretty good app its just so hard to wait and be so anxious!

Does anyone know when we will receive notice of our rank on the waitlist? or expect to hear anything back in that regard? I send in updates as necessary and I feel that I have a pretty good app its just so hard to wait and be so anxious!
hey, i emailed the admissions director last week with questions and she told me that the waitlist has already been ranked. if you're in the top 5, you'd have already received notice about it. you can always email them to ask for your standing but they will most likely tell you which tier your fall in (top, middle, or bottom).

i'm not sure how many people are usually in each tier though, does anyone know? or does anyone have an idea if anyone from the middle or bottom tiers have ever gotten an acceptance (into the year they applied for or a deferred acceptance into the next year)?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, i emailed the admissions director last week with questions and she told me that the waitlist has already been ranked. if you're in the top 5, you'd have already received notice about it. you can always email them to ask for your standing but they will most likely tell you which tier your fall in (top, middle, or bottom).

i'm not sure how many people are usually in each tier though, does anyone know? or does anyone have an idea if anyone from the middle or bottom tiers have ever gotten an acceptance (into the year they applied for or a deferred acceptance into the next year)?

Hmm, I called at the beginning of last week and I was told they rank "in segments" and that I wasn't given an official rank yet. I'd like to know how many people are in each tier as well.

Hmm, I called at the beginning of last week and I was told they rank "in segments" and that I wasn't given an official rank yet. I'd like to know how many people are in each tier as well.
huh, i didn't know that it was done "in segments", i had assumed that they had ranked everyone on the waitlist already. actually, i wonder how many people are even on the waitlist. i feel like it's acceptable to think you have a chance if the waitlist isn't that long (like 20 or 30 applicants) but if there are like 50-60 people on the list, then idk....

huh, i didn't know that it was done "in segments", i had assumed that they had ranked everyone on the waitlist already. actually, i wonder how many people are even on the waitlist. i feel like it's acceptable to think you have a chance if the waitlist isn't that long (like 20 or 30 applicants) but if there are like 50-60 people on the list, then idk....

Yeah it's pretty confusing. I was told I was in the middle, which I guess is the middle tier? She said it was still a good place to be because they accept a good number of people off of the waitlist I guess?

Yeah it's pretty confusing. I was told I was in the middle, which I guess is the middle tier? She said it was still a good place to be because they accept a good number of people off of the waitlist I guess?
well that's certainly good news, hopefully there will be a lot of waitlist movement after traffic day on monday then!

well that's certainly good news, hopefully there will be a lot of waitlist movement after traffic day on monday then!
When asking for your spot did you guys call or email? Whats a nice way to come about asking about your ranking?

When asking for your spot did you guys call or email? Whats a nice way to come about asking about your ranking?
i emailed, but i think the admissions director is out of the office until 5/22 (or at least that was the automatic reply states) so calling the office might be your best bet. just ask if the waitlist has been finalized and if so, what your current standing is. as long as your tone of voice is nice, i don't think this will come off as a rude question haha.

i emailed, but i think the admissions director is out of the office until 5/22 (or at least that was the automatic reply states) so calling the office might be your best bet. just ask if the waitlist has been finalized and if so, what your current standing is. as long as your tone of voice is nice, i don't think this will come off as a rude question haha.

Were you given your official rank? When I called I was just told what "tier" I was in.

Were you given your official rank? When I called I was just told what "tier" I was in.
just the tier, unless you're in the top 5, i was under the impression that they don't tell you your actual number on the waitlist is (just if you're in the top, middle, or bottom). not sure if this true though?

Just as I was about to call and ask about my rank, they called and I got accepted!!! Hope the best for all of you!

Reactions: 4 users
https://www.usnews.com/education/be...ir-first-choice-residency?src=usn_fb&slide=10

Just a cool tidbit- VCOM ranked among top medical schools where students matched into their top choice residency. They beat Mayo and Stanford for percentage of students placed into their top choices. Not sure of the accuracy but still pretty cool!
That's awesome! Makes sense with all of the benefits of being associated with VT. most DO schools don't have that

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
That's fantastic. Now only if I could get in off the waitlist :/ has anybody heard of any new movement? Have any calls or emails gone out?

Just an update - I inquired about the completion of the waitlist ranking and they said they're still not done...this doesn't make any sense because people here have been accepted off the waitlist.

Just an update - I inquired about the completion of the waitlist ranking and they said they're still not done...this doesn't make any sense because people here have been accepted off the waitlist.
ya came across the same concern...not sure what is happening

You may very well not have a chance to get accepted this year, but if you express your desire to commit to their program even if it means waiting a year...you'd pretty much be a shoe-in for next cycle. Given how hard it is to get in to medical school in the first place...that's not a bad consolation.

You may very well not have a chance to get accepted this year, but if you express your desire to commit to their program even if it means waiting a year...you'd pretty much be a shoe-in for next cycle. Given how hard it is to get in to medical school in the first place...that's not a bad consolation.

I would definitely wait the year. I loved everything about the school. But don't they offer only a small amount of people the deferred acceptance? Also, I was told that they don't offer these deferred acceptances until August, which makes no sense for people who have been accepted elsewhere.

I wouldn't know about the number of people who get deferred acceptances (I am one of them however.) To your second point, yes... the consolation would only be if you received no acceptances anywhere else.

I wouldn't know about the number of people who get deferred acceptances (I am one of them however.) To your second point, yes... the consolation would only be if you received no acceptances anywhere else.

So you interviewed for the class of 2021 and got an acceptance for 2022? If so, when did you get the deferred acceptance?

nah, I interviewed for 2020, and got deferred to 2021 because there wasn't enough movement from the waitlist. It happened within the first two weeks of august. I was kind of on the bubble, pretty sure I was at/near the top because I was informed to have everything ready and could be called even the first week of school to come down (in the event someone didn't show up.)

nah, I interviewed for 2020, and got deferred to 2021 because there wasn't enough movement from the waitlist. It happened within the first two weeks of august. I was kind of on the bubble, pretty sure I was at/near the top because I was informed to have everything ready and could be called even the first week of school to come down (in the event someone didn't show up.)
oh my gosh this whole process of just waiting seems to be so uncertain....i wish they would give us a time frame or tell us our standing

I can empathize with how you're feeling at present...my posts were an attempt to give some peace of mind/optimism to the frustration...that being said, I hope (no matter what) it works out for you.

I can empathize with how you're feeling at present...my posts were an attempt to give some peace of mind/optimism to the frustration...that being said, I hope (no matter what) it works out for you.

Your posts did help, thank you for that. Do you mind if I ask for your stats via PM?

no worries thanks for the info. i think its the waiting that is getting to all of us

has anyone contacted admissions regarding their wait list status? Have they ranked it?

has anyone contacted admissions regarding their wait list status? Have they ranked it?
They already ranked it. If you contact them, they will tell you if you are in the bottom, middle or top tier. They might tell you if you are in the top 5 of the waitlist. I think when they say waitlist, it means that it isn't ranked. When they say, alternate list, then it means you are ranked.

They already ranked it. If you contact them, they will tell you if you are in the bottom, middle or top tier. They might tell you if you are in the top 5 of the waitlist. I think when they say waitlist, it means that it isn't ranked. When they say, alternate list, then it means you are ranked.

I don't know if this is true. I emailed them Wednesday, and got a response Thursday saying that I hadn't been ranked. But it's weird because I called them two weeks before that and they told me I was in the middle. What's going on here?