Edward Via COM - Carolina Campus (VCOM-CC) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Very sweet. Let them be part of this experience :)

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone comment on what the wait list movement is like here? Or the probability of being taken off?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have information on the MCAT cutoff for this school? I'm a little over 500, but my significant other's may be borderline.

Does anyone have information on the MCAT cutoff for this school? I'm a little over 500, but my significant other's may be borderline.

I do not think there is an official cutoff. I know there a few people with sub-500 scores that have been accepted. I think they really make an effort to evaluate your entire package before making a decision.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I heard they make their admissions decision quick (within a couple of days). Is this true?

I heard they make their admissions decision quick (within a couple of days). Is this true?
Yeah they are relatively quick with their decisions. I got an acceptance call just one week after my interview.

How did the interview day go for those who had interviews?

Also what is the chance of being accepted once you gain an interview?

Last edited:
Hey, I got an interview invite today. Is it for a waitlist or are there seats available. I got accepted to LECOM, but VCOM is closer to home. I don't dig the rural stuff at all, and it seems VCOM is heavy on that. Any thoughts? I went to school in NC and VCOM visited my college so I had some initial contact and liked what I heard and read.

Thanks

Hey, I got an interview invite today. Is it for a waitlist or are there seats available. I got accepted to LECOM, but VCOM is closer to home. I don't dig the rural stuff at all, and it seems VCOM is heavy on that. Any thoughts? I went to school in NC and VCOM visited my college so I had some initial contact and liked what I heard and read.

Thanks

If you have the money to at least attend the interview I would go for it. You have nothing to lose because you don't HAVE to pay the deposit if you end up decide to attend LECOM in the end. You may end up enjoying VCOM more than you think. Spartanburg/Greenville is not rural. Yes you have to do one rotation at a "rural" location but I imagine something similar exists at most schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have the money to at least attend the interview I would go for it. You have nothing to lose because you don't HAVE to pay the deposit if you end up decide to attend LECOM in the end. You may end up enjoying VCOM more than you think. Spartanburg/Greenville is not rural. Yes you have to do one rotation at a "rural" location but I imagine something similar exists at most schools.

Thanks for the reply. I assume you were accepted, could you perhaps shed some light on the lectures? I remember seeing on SDN that some students disliked the mandatory nature of them. One poster said it made him regret attending VCOM despite the other positives...

Thanks for the reply. I assume you were accepted, could you perhaps shed some light on the lectures? I remember seeing on SDN that some students disliked the mandatory nature of them. One poster said it made him regret attending VCOM despite the other positives...

A current student can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they are 85% mandatory where you can have 6 absences per class. There are sample schedules on the website but for the most part you are there from 8-4 or 5ish. I guess it all depends on how you learn. Do you want more freedom to study at home or do you learn better from lecture. I would pick the environment in which you feel more comfortable and more likely to succeed.

Argh. In same boat as you Doctor strange. Recent II invite/Accepted elsewhere but would not mind giving a Spartanburg a look. Chunkiesttulip8 can you comment on what the surrounding area was like, feel of the city etc?

Argh. In same boat as you Doctor strange. Recent II invite/Accepted elsewhere but would not mind giving a Spartanburg a look. Chunkiesttulip8 can you comment on what the surrounding area was like, feel of the city etc?
It's a growing city. Great trauma center though. Greenville is 35 minutes away, Charlotte is about an hour, and Asheville is a little over an hour as well . So it has great surrounding areas.

Spartanburg is an old mill town that is slowly being built back up. So there are some old mill houses that are being renovated into apartments and stores. The West side of the town has a decent mall and all the regular stores. Downtown is nice with smaller shops and restaurants. Greenville isn't that far away and is a much larger/nicer city. I felt like Spartanburg is playing catch up with Greenville as far as becoming a nicer city. There are a bunch of colleges in Spartanburg so it may have a college town feel in some areas. I think Spartanburg will look much different (better) in a few years. But in the end I enjoyed the area and do not think that I would ever be bored or have a hard time finding something to do over the breaks. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
A current student can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they are 85% mandatory where you can have 6 absences per class. There are sample schedules on the website but for the most part you are there from 8-4 or 5ish. I guess it all depends on how you learn. Do you want more freedom to study at home or do you learn better from lecture. I would pick the environment in which you feel more comfortable and more likely to succeed.

1/2 right...85% attendance is correct...but it typically works out to 15-17 half days you can miss per block (10-12 week period) and sometimes you can get lucky and they forget take attendance or you can come for one class and leave and if you're lucky and they have taken attendance then it doesn't count against you...

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the replies and insight. As it stands, I am actually traveling between Feb 22nd and March 29th. If I cannot schedule an interview this upcoming week, I think I will decline any interview thereafter. VCOM is a school that as a sophomore was #1 on my list, but so much has changed/happened since then! Congrats to those accepted, a friend who is a first-year says he loves it and the professors even come in weekends if more time is needed to go over a concept.

So I have an upcoming interview! I just wanted to ask if I am interviewing for a waitlist spot at this point/ how full is the class? Also how was the interview and maybe what are some tips to prepare? Thanks so much!

So I'm pretty sure at my interview day we were told they have a 100% (or pretty close) match rate. I'm looking at the AOA match results here (https://www.natmatch.com/aoairp/stats/2016sklstats.html), and it says 18 people did not match. I'm a little confused. Does that mean maybe they did both AOA and ACGME and matched to ACGME instead?

So all this shows is how many students applied to the AOA match, which is before the ACGME match and before SOAP. So this is essentially the first match, but their reported statistics of match rate are after the ACGME + SOAP match are completed.

Does that make sense or did it confuse you more? Loll

So all this shows is how many students applied to the AOA match, which is before the ACGME match and before SOAP. So this is essentially the first match, but their reported statistics of match rate are after the ACGME + SOAP match are completed.

Does that make sense or did it confuse you more? Loll
Thanks! I think that makes sense. So the 18 people who applied and didn't match AOA must have matched ACGME or SOAP?

Withdrew my acceptance here. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
I haven't interviewed yet but I was curious how long do they tell you it takes for them to make a decision vs how long it actually took?

I haven't interviewed yet but I was curious how long do they tell you it takes for them to make a decision vs how long it actually took?
They told me by Friday, interviewed Monday. Was called the next day.

Wow! What time did they call you for your acceptance?
I think around 2 or 3. But our group may have been a lot of definite yes or no's and that's why it was so quick. Not sure but good luck!

Had anyone been rejected? I feel like nobody has posted a rejection on this page whatsoever

Hi guys! I have an interview here on 3/6.

First of all, does anyone know if the class is full?

Secondly, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how the interview was? From previous threads, I've read it's been pretty chill as far as interviews go? Anyone want to share how their interview was or what kind of questions were asked?

So I have seen a lot of mixed feedback, but what was the time lapse between completing the application and the Interview invite or rejection for you guys? I've heard some people waiting for months while others waited just a week or so.

So I have seen a lot of mixed feedback, but what was the time lapse between completing the application and the Interview invite or rejection for you guys? I've heard some people waiting for months while others waited just a week or so.

Hey there, it took me two months to get an interview after submitting my secondary

Does anyone know if they have filled their interview slots yet? Also, do they accept letters of interest?

Anyone accepted figure out how to get the VCOM email in the Mail app on an iPhone?

Anyone accepted figure out how to get the VCOM email in the Mail app on an iPhone?
I just downloaded the outlook app, I was unable to add it to the mail app.

Does anyone know what the chances are of getting in when people are waitlisted?

Are they still interviewing people? If, so- how long do they interview? Filling out an application in about two months :)

Are they still interviewing people? If, so- how long do they interview? Filling out an application in about two months :)

Interview season is certainly wrapping up. I imagine that are a few dates left; however, interviewing should be done by the end of April. Maybe someone who still has access to the calendar can confirm or deny. The earlier you submit your application, the sooner you will move through the process. I will say that interviewing this late in the cycle would not be ideal by any means...

Thank you @ChunkiestTulip8 ! I'm applying this year for admission in 2108. I'm super excited about the process and just wanted to get a feel for how this all works. I'm taking my MCAT in July. I hope that won't be too late but I don't have time to study right now, too many classes!!

Thank you @ChunkiestTulip8 ! I'm applying this year for admission in 2108. I'm super excited about the process and just wanted to get a feel for how this all works. I'm taking my MCAT in July. I hope that won't be too late but I don't have time to study right now, too many classes!!

I can only speak from my own experience. I sent in my application on the first day everything was open. I only sent my primary application to the Virginia campus. I got my secondary from VCOM in late June and submitted that within a few days. I ranked all three campuses as follows: VA, SC, Auburn. Got my II in the first week of August to the Carolinas campus and scheduled my interview for September 26th which was the first day interviews were available for the cycle.

I know that your timeline is great for DO/MD applications. I believe most people who end up applying send in their application July-Sept. That being said, if your stats are borderline, it would be a good idea to get you application complete as early as humanly possible. Without an MCAT score it would be very difficult to advise you because of the importance of that specific metric. VCOM is definitely very specific with who they invite to interview. If you read this forum, you will see some people's application moved through the process faster than others. I am convinced that this is due to VCOM's mission. If they like your application and for fit their "mission" you will likely be complete faster.

I can only speak from my own experience. I sent in my application on the first day everything was open. I only sent my primary application to the Virginia campus. I got my secondary from VCOM in late June and submitted that within a few days. I ranked all three campuses as follows: VA, SC, Auburn. Got my II in the first week of August to the Carolinas campus and scheduled my interview for September 26th which was the first day interviews were available for the cycle.

I know that your timeline is great for DO/MD applications. I believe most people who end up applying send in their application July-Sept. That being said, if your stats are borderline, it would be a good idea to get you application complete as early as humanly possible. Without an MCAT score it would be very difficult to advise you because of the importance of that specific metric. VCOM is definitely very specific with who they invite to interview. If you read this forum, you will see some people's application moved through the process faster than others. I am convinced that this is due to VCOM's mission. If they like your application and for fit their "mission" you will likely be complete faster.

Thank you! That is good advice.

Does anyone know what the chances are of getting in when people are waitlisted?
At the interview Erin said not to be disappointed if waitlisted because they tend to see a lot of movement from waitlisted to accepted. I believe she also said they don't rank the waitlist for another couple of weeks.