Edward Via COM - Carolina Campus (VCOM-CC) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do any current students have recommendations on laptops? We were told it was a PC campus at our interview, but the students who showed us around both said they had Macbooks that worked well. I prefer to use Apple since that's what I used all through college, but I need to buy a new laptop anyway so I want to make sure I have one that's compatible with VCOM's stuff.

Not a current student but currently in the exact same situation. I also talked to the students on campus about using MacBooks and received the same response as you. My plan is to just go ahead and get a Macbook and run bootcamp on it. That way I can use the computer I am used to and still be able to use Windows when/if I need to for testing purposes. I would rather get the laptop I want than buy a cheap PC and only use it for testing. I would still want a Macbook in the end. I hope this helps. Just to reiterate...the students (OMS-2) on campus who used Mac OS told me they have not experienced any issues with testing. I assume its "at you own risk" but running bootcamp should be the solution.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Do any current students have recommendations on laptops? We were told it was a PC campus at our interview, but the students who showed us around both said they had Macbooks that worked well. I prefer to use Apple since that's what I used all through college, but I need to buy a new laptop anyway so I want to make sure I have one that's compatible with VCOM's stuff.

I would recommend getting the surface pro. I know I was a six year Mac user and I still love Apple, but in the long run the surface pro was a better option. It can be used at VCOM and in rotations if needed. The Mac is okay but if you have problems it's on you, plus writing on the surface pro saves you paper when studying and time.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I would recommend getting the surface pro. I know I was a six year Mac user and I still love Apple, but in the long run the surface pro was a better option. It can be used at VCOM and in rotations if needed. The Mac is okay but if you have problems it's on you, plus writing on the surface pro saves you paper when studying and time.

The more you keep saying this, the more I want to get one ha! I might have to reconsider my initial decision...

Members don't see this ad :)
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think that it is too late to submit a secondary for them?

Did you just receive it? If you have had it for awhile and are just now sending it in I do not think it would look good. But yes, you never know unless you give it a shot. For what it's worth, someone one last year's thread sent in their secondary on Christmas Eve and got an interview invite in late January.

Does anybody know when orientation is? One of the papers I got in the mail said July and another said August

Does anybody know when orientation is? One of the papers I got in the mail said July and another said August

Pretty sure Carolinas has their orientation in late July. If it ended up being an August date, I imagine it would be very early August. I would suggest emailing admissions if you need an exact date.

Orientation is the first two days of class and is 100 percent mandatory. They have accepted students day early in the year.

You can use any computer you want. People have macbooks + PCs. Some advice I would give to some of you is to directly email admissions stating your continued interest.

Are you recommending this for someone who has not got a II yet?

Can any current students comment on how many students receive their 1st or 2nd choice clinical rotation site? My fiancé and I want to buy a house instead of rent, but I guess that's pointless if we will have to move in 2 years.

Interview Invite!!!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats! By phone? When were you complete?
I actually missed her call! I was thinking "They don't call unless it's good news!" So, I went on the VCOM portal and saw I was selected for an interview! I was complete 11/17/16

Reactions: 1 users
I actually missed her call! I was thinking "They don't call unless it's good news!" So, I went on the VCOM portal and saw I was selected for an interview! I was complete 11/17/16

Did they not leave a voicemail? Is there an interview tab? Congrats again!

Did they not leave a voicemail? Is there an interview tab? Congrats again!
Yes, there was an interview tab when I looked. I don't recall there being one before the invite, but could be completely wrong. And we played phone tag for a bit until we finally got in contact with each other!

Can any current students comment on how many students receive their 1st or 2nd choice clinical rotation site? My fiancé and I want to buy a house instead of rent, but I guess that's pointless if we will have to move in 2 years.

PM me.

I am a current 3rd year and over halfway done with this years rotations. If anyone has any questions about 1st and 2nd year or 3rd year stuff feel free to PM me or ask away and I will do my best to respond in a somewhat timely manner.

Also...Macbooks work fine. I have had a Mac all 3 years so far and never had issue. You just can't sync to the printer so you have to go to computer upstairs to print stuff if you want to do that. But that wasn't worth ditching my mac. Just be careful as well on software updates because sometimes Examsoft is behind on working with certain updates so always check with Examsoft before doing an update for your mac.

just got an II. Feb 15th. Would this be interview be for their wait list?

Congrats! I think there are spots still available, not completely sure tho.

If you don't mind me asking, when were you complete?

Well the good news is that no one has reported back on here as waitlisted. I would assume that you could always call admissions and ask or look back at the interview calendar to see how many dates were available and guess off of that. I will say that the Facebook page for accepted students is nowhere near full.

I'm in the post bacc program now and we were told the class is filled in March. So I'd say you definitely still have a shot for matriculation this summer.

For the people who interviewed and have been accepted, why did you pick this medical school? Could someone tell me their pros and cons of the school?

Is there a number we can call to check the status of our application?

PM me.

I am a current 3rd year and over halfway done with this years rotations. If anyone has any questions about 1st and 2nd year or 3rd year stuff feel free to PM me or ask away and I will do my best to respond in a somewhat timely manner.

Can you comment on the first and second year schedule? How long are you on campus and how much study time do you have? Are classes from 8-5 every day and is attendance mandatory? Do blocks continue through summer break or do you get a month off?

Can you comment on the first and second year schedule? How long are you on campus and how much study time do you have? Are classes from 8-5 every day and is attendance mandatory? Do blocks continue through summer break or do you get a month off?
If yougo to the website, they have their entire class schedule including dates and times listed. And it appears there is a month off for summer break. I know attendance up to a certain percentage is mandatory, I think it is 85%

Just got accepted!! Interviewed 01/26. 3.66/503 strong upward trend. GA resident. Still waiting to hear from Mercer MD but leaning towards this school if I'm accepted to both.

Reactions: 5 users
Just got accepted!! Interviewed 01/26. 3.66/503 strong upward trend. GA resident. Still waiting to hear from Mercer MD but leaning towards this school if I'm accepted to both.
Nice! Congrats! When did you apply?

I also interviewed on 1/26 and just got accepted! My application was complete in October and I submitted my secondary in November.

Weird. I interviewed on the 24th and still haven't heard anything.

Got accepted here on Friday!

Reactions: 6 users
Are anyone's parents going to accepted students day? I asked mine because I would like them to see where I'm going to school, but now I feel like I'm 18 and going to college again haha

Reactions: 2 users
Are anyone's parents going to accepted students day? I asked mine because I would like them to see where I'm going to school, but now I feel like I'm 18 and going to college again haha
Mine are as well as my girlfriend. It's exciting for them so let them celebrate with you!

Reactions: 2 users