Edward Via COM - Carolina Campus (VCOM-CC) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thinking about submitting an app here but I'm worried I'm too late..

~3.5 for both GPAs, ~70th percentile MCAT, D1 athlete with decent research and ECs. Also ~2000 hours as an ER tech. OOS. What do you guys think?

Its not too late to apply. And you never know until you apply so give it a shot!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted!!! But only conditionally. DO has been putting off submitting letter for me for some time now! Making me quite anxious at this point. Congrats to all you other guys and hope to see you as classmates next year!

Reactions: 2 users
Its not too late to apply. And you never know until you apply so give it a shot!
Giving it a shot! I read they screen for the secondary.. Hopefully I squeeze by it! Pretty long wait time on secondaries?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I'm flying in early on Tuesday for my interview the next day. Does anyone have any suggestions on trails or nature parks in the area? Was thinking I could do a little exploring since I'll have plenty of free time on Tuesday.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey guys! I'm flying in early on Tuesday for my interview the next day. Does anyone have any suggestions on trails or nature parks in the area? Was thinking I could do a little exploring since I'll have plenty of free time on Tuesday.

Greenville, the downtown part at least, is a walking city. They've got a little zoo too and parks. Not sure about actual Spartanburg but I know the VCOM campus is set up for students to go walking around to just air out their thoughts and take a break.

Giving it a shot! I read they screen for the secondary.. Hopefully I squeeze by it! Pretty long wait time on secondaries?
Go for it! Good luck! I haven't yet applied but in regards to your OOS residency,I know one of the doctors who teaches here told me they value students wanting to stay in the area so they're not putting all this great effort into teaching students who will then take this great knowledge and use it, say, in Oregon. So if you can squeeze in something about wanting to stay and practice in the southeast I think that would help.

Go for it! Good luck! I haven't yet applied but in regards to your OOS residency,I know one of the doctors who teaches here told me they value students wanting to stay in the area so they're not putting all this great effort into teaching students who will then take this great knowledge and use it, say, in Oregon. So if you can squeeze in something about wanting to stay and practice in the southeast I think that would help.
I'm from the region (a little more south central than southeast) and have a friend that spent her first two years at the Carolina campus and is now doing rotations at the Auburn campus. I've kept in touch with her and she loves it, so hopefully all of that helps! I spent a summer in Myrtle Beach playing ball and fell in love with SC. Hoping to get back there sometime soon!

It depends on how much they like you in terms of getting a secondary. For some its next day, for others its months. Good Luck!

Just got the II today! Super excited about this school- first interview! Anyone want to PM me about the interview experience?

Reactions: 4 users
How long did it generally take you all to hear back post-interview? They told us 12/10, but it'd be fantastic if it were earlier :)

Did it take longer for the people who interviewed in the afternoon to hear back compared to people who interviewed in the morning? I interviewed on the 30th in the afternoon and I really hope we find out soon :) Loved the school

II on 11/22/2016 and I'm scheduled for 12/06/16. OOS. cGPA 3.89. Any advice for interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
@ohemmag93 Did you get it today?Do you mind sharing your MCAT score? Congratulations!!! I have heard that they are super conversational and friendly, trying to get to know you without being inquisitive in an uncomfortable way.

@ohemmag93 Did you get it today?Do you mind sharing your MCAT score? Congratulations!!! I have heard that they are super conversational and friendly, trying to get to know you without being inquisitive in an uncomfortable way.

MCAT was 510 on third try! Thanks! This is my first interview, so I'm trying not to psych myself out!

MCAT was 510 on third try! Thanks! This is my first interview, so I'm trying not to psych myself out!

Wow, that is a pretty awesome score :) I totally understand, I'd be super nervous too. This will be an amazing day for you, remember that you made it that far already. They must like you to invite you for an interview!

Have any other accepted students made an accepted students Facebook page? Not that there is a ton to talk about at the moment, but in just a few short months it will be time to start thinking about moving, housing, etc!!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know where I can find a previous year's match lists? Or even the percentage of students who match vs those who don't?

Does anyone know where I can find a previous year's match lists? Or even the percentage of students who match vs those who don't?

The match information from all campuses can be found here:
http://www.vcom.edu/handbooks/outcomes/index.html#26

Check out page 26 for the percentages matching.

Their match lists are published in the yearbooks at the end of the year but here are the highlights from the from Carolinas Campus in 2015 match that I put together. Basically found all of the academic residency matches and put the rest at the end:

Anesthesiology-
MCV, UCONN, MCW, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Wake Forest

Dermatology-
4 total (all AOA)

EM-
South Carolina, Rochester, MCV, and multiple community matches

General Surgery-
9 total with one at MUSC

IM-
UF, South Carolina, Mississippi, USC-Greenville, VA Tech and many community matches

Neurosurgery-
1 total

Ortho-
1 total

ENT-
1 total

Diagnostic Rads-
4 total

Rad Onc-
1 total (really surprising)

Peds-
South Carolina, MUSC, ECU, Wake, Kentucky, Tennessee, UF and multiple community matches

The match information from all campuses can be found here:
http://www.vcom.edu/handbooks/outcomes/index.html#26

Check out page 26 for the percentages matching.

Their match lists are published in the yearbooks at the end of the year but here are the highlights from the from Carolinas Campus in 2015 match that I put together. Basically found all of the academic residency matches and put the rest at the end:

Anesthesiology-
MCV, UCONN, MCW, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Wake Forest

Dermatology-
4 total (all AOA)

EM-
South Carolina, Rochester, MCV, and multiple community matches

General Surgery-
9 total with one at MUSC

IM-
UF, South Carolina, Mississippi, USC-Greenville, VA Tech and many community matches

Neurosurgery-
1 total

Ortho-
1 total

ENT-
1 total

Diagnostic Rads-
4 total

Rad Onc-
1 total (really surprising)

Peds-
South Carolina, MUSC, ECU, Wake, Kentucky, Tennessee, UF and multiple community matches
Thanks so much!

How'd the interview go?
It was great! My three interviews were all casual, and I never felt unwelcome or intimidated. I wish I wouldn't have stressed so much about it!

Has anyone who interviewed last week or this week heard back yet?

You newly accepted students mind sharing stats and ECs and the like? Congrats all!!

Submitted my deposit! It's official now. Has anyone started an accepted FB group yet?

I can make one if people are still interested

EDIT: Just made it! Search "VCOM - Carolinas Class of 2021"

Last edited:
I'm guessing rejection emails get sent out after? Interviewed last week, and have not heard back :grumpy:

I interviewed on 12/8 and they said we would either hear back on 12/16 or 12/19. I didn't get a call yesterday so crossing my fingers for a call on Monday.

I'm guessing rejection emails get sent out after? Interviewed last week, and have not heard back :grumpy:
Last time I saw rejections posted on here before I received my acceptance call, so I wouldn't lose hope!

Just wanted to poke my head in here and say that I got accepted here this morning. I am in the VCOM post bacc so I didn't go through the regular admissions process.

Reactions: 6 users
I interviewed on 12/8 and they said we would either hear back on 12/16 or 12/19. I didn't get a call yesterday so crossing my fingers for a call on Monday.

Did anyone hear back yet from interviewing on 12/8? She said we would hear back at the latest by Monday :(

Last edited:
Did anyone here back yet from interviewing on 12/8? She said we would hear back at the latest by Monday :(

I'd recommend calling their office tomorrow. They might've been caught up with other stuff being the last week before their holiday break and couldn't call everyone.

I haven't heard back from 12/8 either! I know I read that someone had gotten an acceptance call last week...so tryinggg to stay optimistic

Try to stay optimistic everyone! Interviewing at VCOM = very high probability of acceptance.

I also interviewed 12/8 and haven't heard back yet.

formally withdrew my acceptance here yesterday. I hope the spot goes to one of you!

I interviewed 12/8 as well and haven't heard anything yet!

I just spoke with VCOM about the 12/8 interview, she said the committee is hopefully meeting tomorrow or Thursday and they hope to get our decisions to us by the holidays

Do any current students have recommendations on laptops? We were told it was a PC campus at our interview, but the students who showed us around both said they had Macbooks that worked well. I prefer to use Apple since that's what I used all through college, but I need to buy a new laptop anyway so I want to make sure I have one that's compatible with VCOM's stuff.