Edward Via COM - Carolina Campus (VCOM-CC) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essay prompts when available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Just submitted for this campus and auburn campus. Good luck everybody :)

Reactions: 1 user
Really hoping for an interview here. Went to school in NC, my GPAs last two years for science and cum were above 3.5, but my MCAT is poor (497). I am hoping the GPA bias at this school can at least get me an interview. Really love how this school is setup!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received invite for secondaries!

Reactions: 1 users
I am applying to all three campuses. I do not have a DO LOR and from what it seems on the website, I can go through the entire process and then be conditionally accepted but then have to spend some time with a DO before it being a full acceptance. Am I reading this right? Or will they not give me a decision until I have spent that time with a DO physician? Anyone have any insight on this?

I am applying to all three campuses. I do not have a DO LOR and from what it seems on the website, I can go through the entire process and then be conditionally accepted but then have to spend some time with a DO before it being a full acceptance. Am I reading this right? Or will they not give me a decision until I have spent that time with a DO physician? Anyone have any insight on this?

If the applicant cannot shadow and obtain a letter from a D.O. in time to complete his or her application an M.D. letter will be accepted, however if accepted the applicant may be required to shadow an osteopathic physician within 30 days of acceptance and as a condition of that acceptance. It is strongly recommended that the applicant provide a letter from a D. O. to be more competitive.
http://www.vcom.edu/admissions/application.html

Honestly, with how difficult it can be to find a DO to shadow, I don't know how hard it is in your area, I would start looking now. I took me a whole year to find someone who agreed to let me shadow. Mind you, I've called, walk-ins, email etc and even asked co-workers.

Honestly, with how difficult it can be to find a DO to shadow, I don't know how hard it is in your area, I would start looking now. I took me a whole year to find someone who agreed to let me shadow. Mind you, I've called, walk-ins, email etc and even asked co-workers.
Thanks! I know someone from my church who is a DO. I actually shadowed him a bit in high school, so I bet that he wouldn't mind if I spent a bit more time with him.

Thanks! I know someone from my church who is a DO. I actually shadowed him a bit in high school, so I bet that he wouldn't mind if I spent a bit more time with him.

Depending on how your relationship is with him, I would just right out ask for a letter. Mine wrote me one after 4 hrs of shadowing. The younger DOs understand the process and a lot of the time if they're cool, they'll write u one tight away.

Is anyone able to access the secondary yet? It won't take my email and aacomas id...i guess we really do have to wait 48 hours?

Hey there. I was in the same boat last year and will be starting at VCOM in a month. They will give you a decision on your acceptance despite having a DO rec letter. Your acceptance will be contingent on you shadowing and receiving a LOR though. Best of luck in the app cycle! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Haven't received a secondary yet...does anybody know the number to talk to admissions? I called the number on the website several times about two weeks ago and it always goes to voicemail.

Does anyone know the pre-secondary screening process in addition?

Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't received a secondary yet...does anybody know the number to talk to admissions? I called the number on the website several times about two weeks ago and it always goes to voicemail.

+1 but atleast you have not received the "we have received your application " email without the secondary invite

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I haven't gotten anything from them yet either

Finally got their secondary invite! Still debating between designating this campus or auburn.

I interviewed there last cycle in April and was accepted off the wait list. I thought the area was absolutely gorgeous with a lot of young people and a young town feel. I haven't seen any of the other campus but I feel like the carolinas would be hard to beat. Just incase anyone was wondering Haha

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

Hey all...I am about to be a third year and start rotations in August...if you have any questions about certain aspects of the school or area feel free to PM me...as far as admissions information/criteria I can't really be of too much help there since that was almost 4 years ago for me and things have changed so your best bet would be to contact admissions. Again, any questions regarding class, campus, surrounding area, things like that, feel free to PM me.

definitey applying here but waiting to submit aacomas when summer grades come out. good luck guys!

"Have you ever been charged with a speeding ticket, misdemeanor, felony, summary charge, or any other criminal charge (whether or not you were convicted or even if you were told it was expunged as these will often show up on the background check)? If yes, specify if you were or were not convicted of the charge. If you were not convicted, list what the status of the charge is. This includes traffic violations but excludes parking violations."

Anybody else find it annoying that their secondary makes you disclose traffic tickets? I find it hard to believe that they care if I got a ticket for not coming to a complete stop in 2007.

Can someone post the prompts for the secondary app por favor?

"Have you ever been charged with a speeding ticket, misdemeanor, felony, summary charge, or any other criminal charge (whether or not you were convicted or even if you were told it was expunged as these will often show up on the background check)? If yes, specify if you were or were not convicted of the charge. If you were not convicted, list what the status of the charge is. This includes traffic violations but excludes parking violations."

Anybody else find it annoying that their secondary makes you disclose traffic tickets? I find it hard to believe that they care if I got a ticket for not coming to a complete stop in 2007.

thanks for posting that. yes, that's irritating as hell - they don't have a character count long enough for me to list every speeding ticket, traffic fine, and moving violation I ever got.

Reactions: 2 users
Submitted 06/30 without an MCAT score... Getting worried I got pre-screened with a 3.33 cGPA and 3.42 sGPA. Maybe I'll check in with them tomorrow.

I see some people are specifying the campuses the applied to... I thought the primary went to all and the secondary you can give preference but there was only one for all three campuses?

Nevermind realized there's multiple primary applications

Just submitted my application to here and Auburn! Does anyone know the timeline for secondaries to be received?

Just submitted my application to here and Auburn! Does anyone know the timeline for secondaries to be received?

No certain timeline. Some people have received their secondary the next day, some a couple of weeks later. I guess it depends on the workload they have and how interested they are.

VCOM is a great school. You cannot go wrong applying here. Good luck to all.

I applied to VCOM Carolinas and Auburn for my primary application. I just submitted my secondary through the VCOM portal. Is this all I have to do to be considered or both campuses?

I applied to VCOM Carolinas and Auburn for my primary application. I just submitted my secondary through the VCOM portal. Is this all I have to do to be considered or both campuses?

Yep

How long did everyone have to wait before being able to access the secondary?

It was a month for me.
Sorry. I may have not worded that correctly. I received the invite for the secondary invitation, but cannot get by the first screen. It states that it may take 48 hours until I can start the secondary. With just submitting my primary to this school yesterday, I'm looking to get my secondary in as soon as possible and want to make sure I'm not entering something wrong.

Sorry. I may have not worded that correctly. I received the invite for the secondary invitation, but cannot get by the first screen. It states that it may take 48 hours until I can start the secondary. With just submitting my primary to this school yesterday, I'm looking to get my secondary in as soon as possible and want to make sure I'm not entering something wrong.

My bad I read it wrong. I didn't access it until a week later when I submitted

I was verified end of July but still haven't received a secondary. I realize that I may not get one at all but I was wondering if it is normal for applicants to wait this long for a secondary? I meet their competitive qualifications. I also have a strong service background and thought that VCOM liked service. Should I call if I don't hear anything this week?

Just missed a call from this school. Darn it!

Edit: just called back and got an II!

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you. They had like 9/27 and a few other dates at end of September beginning of October that didn't work for me. I scheduled mine 10/19

Submitted my secondary on Aug 10th and I have not received any confirmation on my secondary application status. Should I be worried? I emailed the school but have not received any response yet.

II ! Interview tab was sitting on my portal lol.

Reactions: 2 users
They haven't called me yet but according to the portal I have an II!
First one this cycle, I'm so happy!

LizzyM: ~65
Complete 7/14

Last edited: