educational delay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lee88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a senior in Navy ROTC, and I am strongly considering the option of paying my way through my state medical school, and then doing 4 years of payback instead of 8-11 after residency. I have been reading some other posts about the ROTC to medical school pathway, and I am a bit confused as they seemed to offer conflicting information. I have already applied and been accepted into the medical corps, is this the same thing as an educational delay? My ROTC unit staff seems to think that they are the same thing, but they don't know much(ie virtually nothing) about the whole process. So my question is am I free to start taking out loans for my state school or do I need to go through a whole separate application. (I asked this in another thread too, but it was also about whether people should do ROTC in general, so I thought that starting a new one would be relevant)

Thanks for the help. If I do need a separate ed delay I want to get on it right away....

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I am a senior in Navy ROTC, and I am strongly considering the option of paying my way through my state medical school, and then doing 4 years of payback instead of 8-11 after residency. I have been reading some other posts about the ROTC to medical school pathway, and I am a bit confused as they seemed to offer conflicting information. I have already applied and been accepted into the medical corps, is this the same thing as an educational delay? My ROTC unit staff seems to think that they are the same thing, but they don't know much(ie virtually nothing) about the whole process. So my question is am I free to start taking out loans for my state school or do I need to go through a whole separate application. (I asked this in another thread too, but it was also about whether people should do ROTC in general, so I thought that starting a new one would be relevant)

Thanks for the help. If I do need a separate ed delay I want to get on it right away....

I am going to go out on a limb and say your unit is less than fully informed on this subject. I would check with the folks in Pensacola to find out for sure.

In general, PERS is not keen for ROTC to go straight into med school w/o going HPSP. They are happy with the prolonged payback. (even though you may not be.)

I did ROTC and then ed delay for med school. I continued ed delay for internship. It is not the typical route but certainly possible.

Unfortunately, I can't remember what the application process like for ed delay. I would echo NavyFP's sentiments and say do some checking on your own beyond what your ROTC cadre are telling you.

Yes, getting med corp branch means that you are getting an ed delay . . . at least that was the case back in my day in Army ROTC (i can't say for sure w/ the navy). You should have also gotten a control branch as well, usually med service corp.

I know that the army has traditionally been happy to give out ed delays. Getting a physician for the price of rotc instead of hpsp is a great deal for them.

edit: smart move taking the ed delay instead of HPSP!

Last edited: