Educational delay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BLACKMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone here tell me if I'll still be able to request an education delay (after ROTC) if I am taking my MCAT late? I'm a nontrad student enrolled in ROTC and won't be taking my MCAT until may of 2015, which is also the month I graduate and commission. Can I still request an Ed delay if ill have a gap year? I'm curious what they would have me doing during my gap year. If it helps at all I'm a reserve scholarship recipient so all I'd be delaying is BOLC possibly?

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone here tell me if I'll still be able to request an education delay (after ROTC) if I am taking my MCAT late? I'm a nontrad student enrolled in ROTC and won't be taking my MCAT until may of 2015, which is also the month I graduate and commission. Can I still request an Ed delay if ill have a gap year? I'm curious what they would have me doing during my gap year. If it helps at all I'm a reserve scholarship recipient so all I'd be delaying is BOLC possibly?

You need to submit your educational delay packet PRIOR to your assessment packet is sent in to Cadet Command. If you're commissioning May of 2015, I'm assuming that would mean you are going to LDAC in the Summer of 2014? You will need to submit your ed delay packet in August of 2014. You would then find out if you got the ed delay in November of 2014.

However, It may work differently for the Reserves. I'm going active duty and that's what I had to do. We had another student that was staying National Guard on a GRFD Scholarship and he is currently applying to Dental School and did not need to request an Ed Delay packet. I would talk to your HR Rep at your school or one of the recruiters. If they don't know, try calling up your region's AMEDD recruiter and asking. Since you are commissioning in the Reserves, you would probably just have to request Med Service Corps or something in your assessment packet instead of Ed Delay, and then work it out with whatever unit you are assigned to to figure out your BOLC dates. From what I've heard, if you are in the Guard or Reserves, your BOLC dates are requested by your unit, not ROTC/Cadet Command like Active Duty officers.

Okay thanks! Yes I am going to LDAC next summer. I'll be sure to request it then. And I did speak to an AMEDD recruiter. The confusion was coming from me having a gap year. I wanted to see in writing that even with a gap year I can be granted an Ed delay but the regulations don't seem to cover that. Either way I should be okay since ill be reserves before med school. I can just ask that my unit not send me to BOLC if it conflicts with medical school. Then again, would I need BOLC if I was granted the hpsp? All these answers just lead to more questions :/

Members don't see this ad :)
I declined the ROTC scholarship based on this email from the AMEDD recruiter this morning. This is FYI for anyone in the same situation

"HPSP is an active duty program. If you take a reserve commission (scholarship) you will be ineligible for the program. The assistance you are going to receive for you ROTC is a reserve obligation contract. I talked with *** on what he was trying to get you for assistance. Unfortunately if you take the deal he is offering HPSP will not be an option nor will education delay. So the decision you have is to pay for school now or to wait and get HPSP for medical school."

I declined the ROTC scholarship based on this email from the AMEDD recruiter this morning. This is FYI for anyone in the same situation

"HPSP is an active duty program. If you take a reserve commission (scholarship) you will be ineligible for the program. The assistance you are going to receive for you ROTC is a reserve obligation contract. I talked with *** on what he was trying to get you for assistance. Unfortunately if you take the deal he is offering HPSP will not be an option nor will education delay. So the decision you have is to pay for school now or to wait and get HPSP for medical school."

that's odd. not saying it's wrong because it was many moons ago i did the ROTC+HPSP route, but there are a lot of people who have done this in the past. you can't do it sumultanesouly, but it would frankly be stupid for them to invalidate the combo. reason being, ROTC+HPSP present a great value to the military-- it's 8 years of active duty payback. like USUHS folks, we can't sign up for those bigger bonuses. all things being equal, we're cheaper. either way, banking on an ed delay is a big gamble.

--your friendly neighborhood scholarship hoarding caveman

that's odd. not saying it's wrong because it was many moons ago i did the ROTC+HPSP route, but there are a lot of people who have done this in the past. you can't do it sumultanesouly, but it would frankly be stupid for them to invalidate the combo. reason being, ROTC+HPSP present a great value to the military-- it's 8 years of active duty payback. like USUHS folks, we can't sign up for those bigger bonuses. all things being equal, we're cheaper. either way, banking on an ed delay is a big gamble.

--your friendly neighborhood scholarship hoarding caveman

Why do you say banking on an Ed delay is a big gamble? I've heard they're granted so long as you are accepted I to a graduate/professional program.

Why do you say banking on an Ed delay is a big gamble? I've heard they're granted so long as you are accepted I to a graduate/professional program.

because if you dont get that acceptance, welcome to MSC (or whatever branch they give you) world. kind of a one shot deal. people do it, but it's a lot of pressure vs. normal folk who can get a year for post bac and polishing before reapplying.

--your friendly neighborhood one shot caveman

because if you dont get that acceptance, welcome to MSC (or whatever branch they give you) world. kind of a one shot deal. people do it, but it's a lot of pressure vs. normal folk who can get a year for post bac and polishing before reapplying.

--your friendly neighborhood one shot caveman

Haha well thanks for the honesty. I'm getting old. It's one shot anyway. And I'll be fulfilled if I can serve as an army officer so it's a win win.