EdD versus PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cybertsiren

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering a doctoral program to enhance my credentials. Some colleagues are getting an EdD because it only requires 48 hours whereas others are doing a PhD thatrequires 105 hours. My question is what is the value for these degrees? What will they translate into in the counseling field and the job market?Which is ultimately the better value? I notice NYC doesn't seem to have these doctoral programs the same as Illinois.

Members don't see this ad.

An 48 hour EdD, Well never heard of such a light doctorate. Anyway Accreditation is always an important factor why spend thousands on a degree and its not accredited. I feel there is no difference from Phd to EdD. With a acreditation you know that your degree lines up across the board. Sometimes the difference is where the degree program is housed, I noticed alot of counseling programs are in "a school/college of education" at am university so the degree is awared as a MeD or an EdD. My professor once told me that she one time had a peer question her EdD and told the said peer lets compare transcrips, they had the same classes. So yeah While I feel an EdD with only 48 credits is a little lacking once your in an accredited program you degree will meet a set standard no matter if its an PhD or and EdD

Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of counseling training, HUGE difference between EdD and PhD. Perhaps not so much at the diploma mill sites, but for reputable programs where people are looking for licensure, gigantic differences.
So I will already have licensure when I enter. Its a CACREP accredited program. But admittedly it is not a research program. I am an older student. I'm trying to be realistic. Right now jobs are scarce. I'm trying to patch together a living. I'm thinking a title of doctor in Counselor educatipn and Supervision may help. What are your thoughts?

If you already have licensure, I don't think this adds anything. You are still practicing as a masters level counselor and will be paid like one. Your better bet may be to pursue something like an MBA/MPH to get into admin.

PhD or EdD in Counselor Education and Supervision is only useful if you plan or desire to teach full time in a masters level Counselor Education program. You can NOT bill as a doctoral level provider to insurance with those credentials. You will still be a masters level provider. You can NOT conduct psychological testing/evaluations with those credentials and bill to insurance. That is provided by doctoral psychologists. You will likely get training on how to supervise masters level counseling but many supervisors do it without those credentials. You could even teach adjunct (1-2 classes) with just your masters (and possibly requires a license, depends on the program).

Reactions: 2 users
So I will already have licensure when I enter. Its a CACREP accredited program. But admittedly it is not a research program. I am an older student. I'm trying to be realistic. Right now jobs are scarce. I'm trying to patch together a living. I'm thinking a title of doctor in Counselor educatipn and Supervision may help. What are your thoughts?
I am in. CACREP Counselor Ed and Supervision Progam

Hello all. Update! I defended my dissertation at the University of Cumberlands in August of 2019. I am also a full time Professor at a college and had adjuct at 3 schools. The program is CACREP and has awesome. People. Feel free to email me at
[email protected]

Congrats, but why you feel the need to post this in three threads across two forums? Looks like advertising to me (with grammar issues that raise suspicion if one is a college educator). This forum isn’t for advertising/self-promotion, but we’re happy to celebrate successes.

Congrats, but why you feel the need to post this in three threads across two forums? Looks like advertising to me (with grammar issues that raise suspicion if one is a college educator). This forum isn’t for advertising/self-promotion, but we’re happy to celebrate successes.
My apologies! Not intentional advertising!