Easy to renew NHSC loan repayment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Information Underload

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who are or have been involved in the NHSC loan repayment program, how difficult or easy is it to renew? They were very vague with me about how they decide to renew and whether or not this continued to rely upon your site score or whether you were competing with other applicants initially applying? Or whether it is a given that if you remain at your current site that you will be renewed.

Any ideas on this? I did receive the initial 50k for 2-years of service for my site, which has a score of 17. Who knows how much my coming plays a role in changing in decreasing the HRSA score, if at all.

Members don't see this ad.

For those who are or have been involved in the NHSC loan repayment program, how difficult or easy is it to renew? They were very vague with me about how they decide to renew and whether or not this continued to rely upon your site score or whether you were competing with other applicants initially applying? Or whether it is a given that if you remain at your current site that you will be renewed.

Any ideas on this? I did receive the initial 50k for 2-years of service for my site, which has a score of 17. Who knows how much my coming plays a role in changing in decreasing the HRSA score, if at all.

I am about to apply for renewal. The renewal time depends on when you got the award, there is a schedule on the website for this. The renewal time commitment and payment also changes. It goes to one year renewals with declining value: 20k, 20k, 10k, 5k. You are not guaranteed a renewal if you stay at the same site "acceptance depends on funding" per the website.

You are not guaranteed a renewal if you stay at the same site "acceptance depends on funding" per the website.

Whatever that means. That's not directed at you, but moreso at the program. It's very hard to make financial decisions based upon this sort of vague language. Yes, I have read the program's website. I just wish they were a bit more specific.

Whatever that means. That's not directed at you, but moreso at the program. It's very hard to make financial decisions based upon this sort of vague language. Yes, I have read the program's website. I just wish they were a bit more specific.

Based on the website, I would assume that funding varies year by year and would be influenced by the number of applicants (both new + renewing) + the funding that is approved by congress.